Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't think iTunes Match does anything for videos, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It also has limitations around the syncing of Smart Playlists, but is pretty reliable for syncing regular playlists that you edit manually.

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003
So I'm having a curious problem. After manually copying my iTunes media folder from my old to my new Air (a folder located on my desktop as I've set it in iTunes preferences), my existing library works fine. And any new song that I add by moving it to the "automatically add to iTunes" subfolder is added to my library and plays fine. But for some reason any such song creates extra copies of itself in my library either randomly or whenever I reopen iTunes after closing. "Keep iTunes media folder organized" is checked, and "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library is unchecked" as they've always been. And I've tried giving everyone read/write permissions to the iTunes media folder, but this doesn't change anything. Anyone have any idea what might cause this behavior?

edit: Solved the problem. It was either the external drive that I used to transfer the library folder changing permissions, or setting the AATI subfolder when there was already one in there that was the culprit (probably the former, since using an SDHC Card to re-transfer solved it).

Pelikan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 4, 2014

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Grabbed 4N9YE7N3MRPN TYVM.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
Ok. I've been having a problem for sometime and I finally got around to addressing it. I have an iPhone 4 (7.0.6) jailbroken. I have iTunes (11.2.2.3). I am trying to just transfer music files from my PC (Windows 7) to my iPhone.

1) I don't use iTunes as my music management system or player on my PC. I just use it for the iPhone backups, syncing, etc.
2) I used to be able to do this fine, like a year or 2 ago. I was able to import music into my iTunes library then directly onto my device (iPhone). I did a full restore about a year ago, re-jailbroke my phone a little after iOS 7 came out and never got around to getting music back on my phone. Since then, I have been keeping my iTunes updated. Now when I try to import music into my iTunes library and onto my device it won't let me. I try to drag and drop. I try to use the Add to >> iPhone feature and still no dice. Tried syncing from a folder. My iPhone comes up recognized and everything.
3) I can purchase stuff from the app store like music/videos and download it and it will go into my media library on my iPhone fine, but I have gigs and gigs of songs on my PC and I want to throw a few albums onto my phone. The weird thing is I have 1 album on my iPhone that I purchased from the iTunes store and when I plug my phone into my PC, that album does not show up in my phone music library on iTunes. Says I have zero items.

What is causing this and why can't I get music from my PC to my iPhone? My phone has been jailbroken for 3 years and I never had this issue before. I was able to transfer music before. It's when I did a full restore for iOS 7 and jailbroke it a few months later and all these new iTunes updates came out that I can't do it anymore. Anyone? Thanks.

Mighty_Ferguson
Mar 29, 2004

AND IT GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I tried a forum search but came up short. I have two Macs, iPad, iPhone, and a Qnap NAS and want to try to make them all work together properly... meaning I'd somehow like the bulk of the data on the NAS (music, apps, books, audiobooks, etc), but have the music accessible from either Mac, be able to sync/transfer files to the IOS devices from either Mac, and hopefully have that music available to other things on my network that can play music over the network (like a future Apple TV or connected home theater receiver for example). I'd really like to not have to assume that one Mac is always turned on as well. Is this possible? I think ideally the iTunes music and library would be on the NAS, but I'm not sure if I can do that and have either Mac open it without having conflicts between them. Has anyone else done this? From the reading I've done, it doesn't look like Home Sharing does this, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

iTunes really isn't built to support two computers. At the best you can tell both libraries to use the iTunes Library files on the network, but not at the same time. There are the files that are usually in your ~/Music/ folder, and if you can share that from one to another, and just remember to quit one copy of iTunes before you launch the other, then you could share it.

Have you thought about using something to just stream the audio from the iTunes library on one computer to the other? Then you could just use the "Remote" app on your iPhone to control the other Mac playing the music which streams the audio to the other one. I do this to stream music from my Mac to my Windows desktop via Shareport4w, and to my Linux based HTPC via XBMC. I just looked up some programs and there's AirMac that can take the audio as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Apple only likes you to sync from one computer at a time too, so you're really stuck with one library for that reason too.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mighty_Ferguson posted:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I tried a forum search but came up short. I have two Macs, iPad, iPhone, and a Qnap NAS and want to try to make them all work together properly... meaning I'd somehow like the bulk of the data on the NAS (music, apps, books, audiobooks, etc), but have the music accessible from either Mac, be able to sync/transfer files to the IOS devices from either Mac, and hopefully have that music available to other things on my network that can play music over the network (like a future Apple TV or connected home theater receiver for example). I'd really like to not have to assume that one Mac is always turned on as well. Is this possible? I think ideally the iTunes music and library would be on the NAS, but I'm not sure if I can do that and have either Mac open it without having conflicts between them. Has anyone else done this? From the reading I've done, it doesn't look like Home Sharing does this, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Using iTunes Match is probably the easiest way.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I work at a few schools and had my office computers at each authorized in iTunes match. They changed the computers without warning and now I can't deauthorize, and I've reached my limit with 9 months to go before I can deauthorize all again. Is there anything I can do or should I just cancel Match?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Ring Apple support.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dantheman650 posted:

I work at a few schools and had my office computers at each authorized in iTunes match. They changed the computers without warning and now I can't deauthorize, and I've reached my limit with 9 months to go before I can deauthorize all again. Is there anything I can do or should I just cancel Match?

I think they let you reset your count of 5 about once a year without any penalty or hassle. I've done it a couple times.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I've been experiencing weird things with podcasts lately.

1) When I select multiple podcasts to delete, it asks me if I want to delete them. I say yes, and they don't delete. If I do this a second time, they delete.

2) Frequently, I will find iTunes downloading podcasts that I have deleted/removed from my podcast list.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

2 happened to me all the loving time before I gave up and went Downcast.

I especially liked it with podcasts like "Desert Island Disks" that I only actually download if I like the guest and aren't actually subscribed to had their entire archive downloaded while I was asleep about once a month.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Athletic Footjob posted:

Ring Apple support.

Good call. They took care of it in seconds. Thanks!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think there was an update today that said it fixed issues with downloading podcasts, maybe you guys should try it now?

It's actually a lot worse now.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
Managing podcasts are a goddamn nightmare now. I was downloading episodes and then syncing with an old 3GS iphone. I've since upgraded my HTC phone to an iphone 5. I like that I can download and stream on my phone but I prefer my old 'downloading on my computer and syncing' method. Downloading through my phone creates weird duplicates. I like having a hard copy of an episode since a lot of podcasts take episodes off their stream. I have an odd method of listening to podcasts which includes listening from the beginning, in order.

Deleting episodes on my phone means itunes on my mac will stop downloading until I choose to keep syncing on my phone (don't want to, I only sync unplayed) or delete the files (which means the files from my computer hard drive).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Every other page of the iOS Apps thread is someone talking about their favorite podcast app. I don't listen to podcasts anymore, so I can't really speak to the quality of them. But it seems that most people take iTunes out of the loop and use a 3rd party app.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
But how do OCD people listen to podcasts?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feslyn posted:

I don't know but if this thread is any indication then it involves a lot of complaining

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Feslyn posted:

Downcast.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

withak posted:

I don't know but if this thread is any indication then it involves a lot of complaining

This.

It would be really cool and good if one of you podcast dorks would make a thread to keep it out of all the others.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The stock podcasts app works just fine for me in tandem with iTunes but I don't manually sync the two

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Feslyn posted:

Managing podcasts are a goddamn nightmare now. I was downloading episodes and then syncing with an old 3GS iphone. I've since upgraded my HTC phone to an iphone 5. I like that I can download and stream on my phone but I prefer my old 'downloading on my computer and syncing' method. Downloading through my phone creates weird duplicates. I like having a hard copy of an episode since a lot of podcasts take episodes off their stream. I have an odd method of listening to podcasts which includes listening from the beginning, in order.

Deleting episodes on my phone means itunes on my mac will stop downloading until I choose to keep syncing on my phone (don't want to, I only sync unplayed) or delete the files (which means the files from my computer hard drive).

It's still possible to have this experience. You just need to make sure you turn off things like autodelete. And if you are syncing a 3GS and an iphone 5, you're pretty much best off, in my opinion, using itunes and the stock podcasting app. There are alternatives but in my experience, they're all worse for one reason or another than just changing the settings on itunes.

Well, at least normally it's possible. This build and the last build have had some bugs that have impacted the part where itunes actually downloads the podcast which sort of makes the "download on to your computer" part difficult. Submit bug reports. Apple is pretty responsive to them and they're trying to stomp this out.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'm getting an HDCP error on ST-50 Panasonic TV when I hook up my laptop with an HDMI cable and try to play an HD movie from iTunes. It says the TV has HDCP in it's manual. Is this normal? Rather disappointing if so :(

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Not sure if somebody's run into this already, but I found a sorta-bug in iTunes 12. It still depends on Album, Album Artist, Track, and Disk being set for files to be organized properly (if you're one of those weirdos who cares about actual file structure), and it sometimes* displays these values when you right click a show you've manually added and click Get Info.

However, if you delete the value for one of these fields when it's displayed, it vanishes from the Get Info panel, and you can't add it again from inside iTunes - the only way to fix it is to use an external metadata-editing app like Subler.

* I can't figure out why it shows the extraneous fields sometimes but not other times. I've got some files with nearly identical metadata where some will show one or more of those fields in Get Info and some won't, even when both have values set and being used for them.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 3, 2014

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

IUG posted:

Every other page of the iOS Apps thread is someone talking about their favorite podcast app. I don't listen to podcasts anymore, so I can't really speak to the quality of them. But it seems that most people take iTunes out of the loop and use a 3rd party app.

Overcast is quite good in my opinion.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Overcast is quite good

Marco Arment can do no wrong, in my opinion.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Overcast is quite good in my opinion.

Although don't bother if you're not going to upgrade to iOS8 as it'll be iOS8 only as soon as that's released.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there any way to turn off or configure the "lol I don't think you're listening to your podcasts quickly enough so I won't try and download them anymore" setting? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there any way to turn off or configure the "lol I don't think you're listening to your podcasts quickly enough so I won't try and download them anymore" setting? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Afraid not via settings.

This Applescript apparently fixes it on the itunes end.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

So I think my ISP is loving with my connection to the iTunes servers.

I cannot connect to iTunes Match or iTunes Radio over my home verizon fios connection. At all. Nothing. Just time outs all the time. The minute I hop on my LTE connection, it's instantaneously up and ready to go. So it's not on apples end, it's verizon. Somewhere or somehow they're loving up.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's been several days, and for whatever reason, my connection to the iTunes store for purchasing music is 100% fine but Match and Radio are impossible to get to. Is verizon throttling those services or what?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maneki Neko posted:

Podcasts are hosted by the podcast producer, not Apple, so they put that feature in to try and reduce the load on third party servers. That doesn't make it any less annoying but that's why it's there.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best iTunes alternative for Mac? Ecoute? I want something that I can try out without messing too much with my iTunes library etc.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Xabi posted:

What's the best iTunes alternative for Mac? Ecoute? I want something that I can try out without messing too much with my iTunes library etc.

I once used Vox for a few minutes. The alternatives however just never did anything better than iTunes so I stopped using them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Most of the problems I had with itunes (including the podcast ones) in the last build disappeared when I installed Yosemite.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've never had problems per se, I just think it's horrible.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 11, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just had a crazy problem where as I played tracks from two Yes albums, they disappeared from the album and appeared in an identical version of the album. When it got to the end, the original album disappeared. This was in album view. It freaked me out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I just had a crazy problem where as I played tracks from two Yes albums, they disappeared from the album and appeared in an identical version of the album. When it got to the end, the original album disappeared. This was in album view. It freaked me out.

My guess is that somehow the files had the ID3 tags updated in some program that wasn't iTunes. The library would update those files as you play them. They would have also updated if you did "Get Info" on them.

I do this sometimes if I have a low bitrate mp3, and I want to update it from something other than re-ripping the CD. I change the filename and re-write the file. iTunes will still show 128k or whatever, but when I Get Info on the file, it shows the higher bitrate. Sometimes the other tags change "Money" to "Money [Digital + Booklet]" or something, and that all changes when it looks at the file again.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

My guess is that somehow the files had the ID3 tags updated in some program that wasn't iTunes. The library would update those files as you play them. They would have also updated if you did "Get Info" on them.

I do this sometimes if I have a low bitrate mp3, and I want to update it from something other than re-ripping the CD. I change the filename and re-write the file. iTunes will still show 128k or whatever, but when I Get Info on the file, it shows the higher bitrate. Sometimes the other tags change "Money" to "Money [Digital + Booklet]" or something, and that all changes when it looks at the file again.

Would changes in the itunes store do this? The album title did change from something like "Close to the Edge (bonus tracks)" to "Close to the Edge (Remastered)." If the store did that, I'm kind of worried about the implication that what I've downloaded is subject to being swapped out with different files or tied to the store's database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No clue, I hardly ever get music from the iTunes store. I think I only had one free sampler album from them.