Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
the same type of rear end who thinks conflict can be boiled down to dudes fightin other dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

the same type of rear end who thinks conflict can be boiled down to dudes fightin other dudes

"Okay, so basically what's goin' on is that these two dudes had a beef but things got so serious that poo poo started exploding and poo poo! It was fuckin' hardcore! ...Oh and a buncha people got mixed up and died too though."

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

All on Black posted:

What kind of pretentious rear end spells them "Israël" and "Palestina?"

Spanish speakers. Those pretentious sons of bitches.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I will not press 2 for English on Somethingawful!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I know its been gone over before in this thread, but I can't seem to find the discussion about it, so I'll just ask.

A guy at my work is CONSTANTLY bitching about how "Oh, I have to be drug tested to work here, why should welfare recipients NOT have to be tested for welfare?"

I politely explained to him some of the things I could remember from the discussion we had, like "Florida tried this. It costs a ridiculous amount to test everyone, and the amount of people who tested positive wasn't substantial enough to justify its continuing" and "Try telling a child that they're not eating this week/month because mommy smoked weed and pissed dirty."

But what other arguments are there? I already told his rear end that he can always find a job that DOESN'T drug test if he feels that strongly about it, and then he went on a rant about people on welfare and "THERE iFONES! and ESCALADES with RIMZ."

FWIW, he's a typical racist in every sense of the word, but I'm trying to find something to bring up that he can't argue with. Or trying to find the point at which I just say gently caress it, and stop trying to make him see reason.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I would cut my losses. There are much better things you could be doing than dealing with that guy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The fact that the US even allows mandatory drug testing is loving insane. Yeah that airline pilot or bus driver shouldn't be a meth-head, but why the gently caress does it matter if that legal assistant or subway manager smokes a bit of pot? In most countries that give any sort of poo poo about liberty, unless you work a job where drug use could kill someone, that's a loving private matter that your employer has no right knowing.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

quote:

The fact that the US even allows mandatory drug testing is loving insane. Yeah that airline pilot or bus driver shouldn't be a meth-head, but why the gently caress does it matter if that legal assistant or subway manager smokes a bit of pot? In most countries that give any sort of poo poo about liberty, unless you work a job where drug use could kill someone, that's a loving private matter that your employer has no right knowing.

Well from what I understand, these companies that require mandatory drug testing (and we're not talking about like, Delta or Fire/Rescue services) are doing it to cover their asses. The US is so sue-happy, that if someone got injured and it was found to be the fault of an employee who was high, that could possibly open the company itself up to lawsuits. Basically its a CYA issue.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

It's also to lower their workers compensation costs. If I get injured at work, I have to take a drug test basically immediately. If something is found, then my costs are not covered.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
You tell them if they don't want to be drug tested then to get a job that doesn't test. They'll then tell you all the good jobs test. It's anecdotal, but my response is, I've worked for 5 different government agencies at state and federal level, and other than being enlisted in the military, I've never taken a drug test.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Also, insurance premiums are lower if the company has an anti-drug policy in place.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EZipperelli posted:

A guy at my work is CONSTANTLY bitching about how "Oh, I have to be drug tested to work here, why should welfare recipients NOT have to be tested for welfare?"

"In neither case is the government requiring anyone to be tested for drug use."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

why the gently caress does it matter if that legal assistant or subway manager smokes a bit of pot?

Among the obvious CYA reasons listed above, because we stigmatize drug use to make ourselves feel superior.

"I make honest money working at the foundry from 8-4 every day so when I come home I can finish a case of Keystone while I watch TV until I pass out in my recliner, and goddamnit, I ain't no fuckin' hippie pothead like those fuckers on welfare who use their food stamps to buy drugs. Fuckin' Obama."

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Besesoth posted:

"In neither case is the government requiring anyone to be tested for drug use."

Pretty much this. The government isn't forcing your coworker to take drug tests, he has chosen to work for a private employer that requires drug testing for their employees. Tell him to find a new job if he dislikes it so much. Then paint a wonderful allegory in which the difficulty of doing so is related to the difficulty of finding work in general and ending up on welfare.

edit: and if you ever see him directly make reference to ~escalades~ etc, ask him if he understands how much money is dispensed on welfare, and his opinions on whether or not persons on welfare should be forced to surrender any previously existing goods over a specific threshold of value. then tell him to go gently caress himself.

thunderspanks has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jul 26, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

From The Mind Unleashed, of course.

E.T. is loving stoned, holy poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Picnic Princess posted:

From The Mind Unleashed, of course.

E.T. is loving stoned, holy poo poo.

Literally the plot of a South Park episode.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

So why is everyone hot and bothered about impeaching him in these last couple of weeks? Besides being black. I'm not American and I honestly don't get it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

mng posted:

So why is everyone hot and bothered about impeaching him in these last couple of weeks? Besides being black. I'm not American and I honestly don't get it.

Couple weeks? Try the last six years.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

mng posted:

Because Sarah Palin's got the fringe whipped and was all hot about encouraging everyone to impeach him for high crimes and misdemeanors that they'll figure out after the impeachment is done, so they did the same in the hopes that she'll invite them over. In other words, the same cargo cultish horseshit the right does with rhetoric.

Anyway, a delight from one of me and my sister's mutual Facebook friends (I've never met her, she added me semi-randomly one day and it's been a constant hilarious stream of white trash drama ever since). She reposts some idiotic Sandy Hook Truther image, the rest of her dumbshit 22-year-old hillbilly friends nod and screech in agreement. My sister (Frank N. Stein) touches the poop, and then someone who personally knows the uncle of a victim chimes in. Furious backpedalling ensues.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

mng posted:

You poor naive non-American.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mng posted:

I think it's just an extension of how Democrats acted when Bush was in office; which was a continuation of how Republicans treated Clinton. You can't just not agree with someone's policies anymore. You have to believe they are evil and the country is at risk of destruction unless the President is removed immediately.

If Obama was a Manchurian candidate, he would be the most terrible sleeper agent ever. Still, people think he wants to destroy America.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
My favourite are the people who think he's using a fake name (Barry something is his real name) and he's a secret Muslim.

If you're a Muslim who wants to keep it a secret and choosing a new name, why not john smith? Why Barak Hussein Obama?

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Because Sarah Palin's got the fringe whipped and was all hot about encouraging everyone to impeach him for high crimes and misdemeanors that they'll figure out after the impeachment is done, so they did the same in the hopes that she'll invite them over. In other words, the same cargo cultish horseshit the right does with rhetoric.

Anyway, a delight from one of me and my sister's mutual Facebook friends (I've never met her, she added me semi-randomly one day and it's been a constant hilarious stream of white trash drama ever since). She reposts some idiotic Sandy Hook Truther image, the rest of her dumbshit 22-year-old hillbilly friends nod and screech in agreement. My sister (Frank N. Stein) touches the poop, and then someone who personally knows the uncle of a victim chimes in. Furious backpedalling ensues.

That person is a humongous piece of poo poo. I hope you removed them from your friend's list.

I'm incrediblly lucky in that I've only unfriended one person in my 7 years on Facebook. I unfriended him over this idiotic comment:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

These people really, really, REALLY fuckin' love their guns and are insanely paranoid.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DrProsek posted:

America will probably never again elect a True Conservative and even if the GOP takes control of both houses of Congress, they still need a Dear Leader to :fap: to. Meanwhile, Putin is basically the ideal far right but not libertarian president (just swap out Orthodox Christianity for Evangelical Protestant, and Russian for English and boom all done) and will always be president so they never have to worry about needing to keep up to date with Russian politics to know if it's time to worry that their favorite will lose power.

But put more succinctly,

E: And if you're wondering about European right wingers, Russia is basically the socially conservative alternative to the decadent liberal EU.

So Russia's like Florida?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Comna posted:

That person is a humongous piece of poo poo. I hope you removed them from your friend's list.

I'm incrediblly lucky in that I've only unfriended one person in my 7 years on Facebook. I unfriended him over this idiotic comment:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm a white male with financial aid :(.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Mr E posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm a white male with financial aid :(.

You probably just "pass" as a minority

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Shelf Adventure posted:

My favourite are the people who think he's using a fake name (Barry something is his real name) and he's a secret Muslim.

If you're a Muslim who wants to keep it a secret and choosing a new name, why not john smith? Why Barak Hussein Obama?

Barry is a pet form of Barack. :ssh: It's like when people called Bill Clinton "Willie".

LaughMyselfTo has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Jul 26, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Comna posted:

The truth card

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr E posted:

Hell, I'm not even a poor white male and I'm getting some financial aid. Not much, but then again I'm not poor so I dunno maybe poor white boys are the only demographic that don't get financial aid but middle class ones do v:v:v.

E: wait, forgot, liberal academia accidentally thought I was a person because I am an immigrant. False alarm, truth card might still be in play!

DemeaninDemon posted:

So Russia's like Florida?

Like Florida, but with nukes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm a poor white male as well, and I get financial aid. I always love when I bring up financial aid to people and they go but your white how did you get it? I signed up for it and got it like literally anyone else.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

Literally the plot of a South Park episode.

A South Park episode parodying how loving stupid their show has gotten at that.

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

It's my personal opinion that you've got to keep at least one white, republican imbecile on your friends list, just for the entertainment value.

Anna is a dude, by the way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZeBourgeoisie posted:

It's my personal opinion that you've got to keep at least one white, republican imbecile on your friends list, just for the entertainment value.
I grew up in Hawaii so most of the people on my flist are non-white and I can guarantee you that you people don't have a monopoly on being imbeciles.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The_Rob posted:

I'm a poor white male as well, and I get financial aid. I always love when I bring up financial aid to people and they go but your white how did you get it? I signed up for it and got it like literally anyone else.

The federal financial aid system is really good for the most part--if you're trying to go to school and can't afford it, they'll go out on a limb and help for free so long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork every year (and you can do it online if you want). There are tons of grants and loans available to virtually all U.S. citizens, so it kills me when people are like "I can't afford to get a degree and they won't give me no financial aid 'cause I'm white." Yes, they will, you goober. gently caress, even if you can afford to pay for tuition and fees, they might throw in a grant or a low-interest loan to help with books and supplies.

The only thing I'd change is that you're still considered a dependent of your parents until the age of 24 for financial aid purposes, so their incomes are considered when you file. I know too many people who left a bad home at a young age and are trying to make it on their own who've gotten turned down for aid because they either couldn't supply their parents' proof of income/tax returns or their parents' incomes were too high. One of the only ways around the rule is to have the state recognize you as homeless. :rolleyes:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

mng posted:

Probably the "southern border crisis," and the "fundraiser-gate" :airquote:scandals:airquote:

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Wizard of Smart posted:

Probably the "southern border crisis," and the "fundraiser-gate" :airquote:scandals:airquote:

They're also putting the impeachment on the back burner. So they can sue him. So they can sue the president.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Barry is a pet form of Barack. :ssh: It's like when people called Bill Clinton "Willie".

Yeah Barry can be short for Barack, but what they're referring to is the whole, "his real name is Barry Soetoro! And he got into college under a program for foreign students, therefore he can't be president!" It's just another conspiracy for birthers to jerk to.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
If he was trying to fool people into thinking he was a Christian, why would he change his name from the Western-sounding Barry Soetoro to the more exotic Barack Obama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

If he was trying to fool people into thinking he was a Christian, why would he change his name from the Western-sounding Barry Soetoro to the more exotic Barack Obama?

It's a double-bluff. If people think it's silly for him to change his name to a more foreign sounding one, they won't believe it's true!

• Locked thread