Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

System Metternich posted:

Man, no kidding. :v:

To be fair to tropers, subjects concerning teenagers coming to terms with their sexuality are rather touchy and complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Ninjasaurus posted:

No no no no no I can't believe this was written seriously by an actual human being.

I don't know, I would totally read a teen romance featuring a geriatric demon-god from the Ediacaran era.

e. From Trope Repair Shop on "Least Common Pizza Topping":

quote:

This trope is about anchovies. Not pineapple or mushrooms or goat anus.
And they argue about its exact definition for 80 posts.

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 26, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SerialKilldeer posted:

e. From Trope Repair Shop on "Least Common Pizza Topping":

And they argue about its exact definition for 80 posts.
Where does this weirdo live where goat anus isn't a common pizza topping?

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Robots!? With campaign glasses!?!?

Not actually that insane.

But the robots (Ha ha)! They have champagne glasses (heh)! Isn't that just absurd (Heh heh heh)? They're robots (snort) and they have champagne (snicker--hold on, this is gonna be good)...champagne glasses (pfft) and robots don't usually have them (Hahahahaha)! I am a regular Douglas Adams, I tell you what. (Hold on a sec, gotta go jerk off.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tropers would have spent four more paragraphs about what they were jerking off to and probably give it a page with several sub pages. I give your impersonation a D+.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Tropers would have spent four more paragraphs about what they were jerking off to and probably give it a page with several sub pages. I give your impersonation a D+.

:negative: I fall on my sword.

(Now that's Fetish Fuel!)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You mean Getting Crap Past The Radar. Sword? You mean...penis!?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WickedHate posted:

You mean Getting Crap Past The Radar. Sword? You mean...penis!?

Heh heh, you said penis.

Of course they catalogue that poo poo.

With a self-demonstrating article no less.

And it's a bad one.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

CoolZidane posted:

:negative: I fall on my sword

Getting Crap Past the Radar: forums user CoolZidane says "I fall on my sword" which could be considered a reference to masturbation.

Ed: i opened and typed this like hours before i posted it, to justify how f;b i was.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait a minute...if sword is penis...isn't falling just another way of saying "going down"?

Blowjob reference. Holy poo poo. How did that get past the mods!?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I want to see tropers grappling with Zizek and Lacan. I crave it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Swan Oat posted:

I want to see tropers grappling with Zizek and Lacan. I crave it.

SuperMechaTropezilla

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Frankly I think they'd love him. SMG doesn't criticize things, and his readings into movies are crazy and out there, but they are plausible enough to people who haven't watched the movies in question. He rails against any quality judgements of a movie in favor of talking about the readings. On TvTropes it's against the rules to "complain about things you don't like" and they have almost no concept of interpretation. Were SMG to show up there he would have a larger impact than what he's had on CD. The people who would argue against him would be unable to because of the inane rule and the people who don't understand readings would likely flock to him because he'd be doing something they've never seen before and he'd be the one person who would teach them.

It would be hilarious for a few weeks until it dawns that tropers don't keep themselves in one place like we do because they don't hate the rest of the internet like us, so after a while the arguments that we have in CD would spread throughout the internet and be inescapable.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Akett posted:

It would be hilarious for a few weeks until it dawns that tropers don't keep themselves in one place like we do because they don't hate the rest of the internet like us, so after a while the arguments that we have in CD would spread throughout the internet and be inescapable.

What if the paywall wasn't built to keep people out? What if it was built to keep something... in? :aaaaa:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Strategic Tea posted:

What if the paywall wasn't built to keep people out? What if it was built to keep something... in? :aaaaa:

Honestly there's a lot of insular weird BS here that's just as stupid as at TVTropes so it's dumb to pretend we're any better. It's like the difference between furries and furries with a diaper fetish.

Like I love making fun of TVTropes as much as anyone in this thread (well I dunno I guess some people like it more) but we don't really have that high up of a mountain to look down from

I don't know if anyone was actually thinking that, but just to cut things off at the pass before anyone starts feeling too good about themselves and all :shobon:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It's so easy to find content for this thread by just looking up pages on TV Tropes for things that you really liked as a kid.

TV Tropes on Spy Kids posted:

Ms. Fanservice: The music video at the end of the second film has her in a skimpy top that exposes a good deal of her stomach performing a sexy belly dance or something along that line. Most of it consists of her swaying and thrusting her hips in a seductive manner.
Ew, Alexa Vega was like 13 or 14 in that movie.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Celery Face posted:

It's so easy to find content for this thread by just looking up pages on TV Tropes for things that you really liked as a kid.

Ew, Alexa Vega was like 13 or 14 in that movie.

As we established earlier ITT, 14 seems to be tropers' preferred age for their fap material.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sweeperbravo posted:

Honestly there's a lot of insular weird BS here that's just as stupid as at TVTropes so it's dumb to pretend we're any better. It's like the difference between furries and furries with a diaper fetish.

Like I love making fun of TVTropes as much as anyone in this thread (well I dunno I guess some people like it more) but we don't really have that high up of a mountain to look down from

I don't know if anyone was actually thinking that, but just to cut things off at the pass before anyone starts feeling too good about themselves and all :shobon:

I don't know about you, but I paid :10bux: to feel superior to every other part of the internet, so drat skippy I'm gonna pretend that I'm on top of the highest mountain looking down, regardless of the truth :colbert:.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

sweeperbravo posted:

And yet, unlike TV Tropes, we ban pedophiles, rather than allowing them to create Boobchart.jpg; it's not that we're on a mountain, it's that they're down in the sewer.

edit:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 31, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And yet, unlike TV Tropes, we ban pedophiles, rather than allowing them to create Boobchart.jpg; it's not that we're on a mountain, it's that they're down in the sewer.

edit:

No like I get that and all, but like, that's something that should be a given, not a point of pride, you know

Eh whatever no one cares

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, hey, it's GIANT OUIJA BOARD! Let's see if... yep, noted awful webcomic Bear Nuts does have a TVTropes page. Not very interesting, though, aside from the usual barebones list of tropes (with spoiler tags in case you were really concerned about getting spoiled on Bear Nuts). There's this gem, though, for the trope "Bunny-Ears Lawyer," which is apparently about a character being good enough at their job that everyone ignores a nonsensical personal quirk:

quote:

Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Why is Death carrying that scythe?

Death and scythes makes sense.

I just love the concept that, on a site where everyone's so proud of being masters of literature analysis, someone had to explain to someone else why a character named "Death" might have a scythe. It's so... cheerfully dumb.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Celery Face posted:

"I know that I won't be happy to see their page for A Wrinkle in Time, but it'll be good for the threa- wait, what?"

Fan Fic: A Wrinkle in Time posted:

A Wrinkle in Time is a Naruto Fan Fic by rightforlife.

Summary (on FanFiction.net): The Fourth Shinobi War ended in disaster. They won, but at a price too great to bear. Given a second chance, what exactly can Konoha's three most powerful men do? No slash, no overt romance. Time travel, old enemies, and old friends that all leads to a new future.
The Rokudaime Hokage, Namikaze Naruto (aka Uzumaki Naruto), Chief of the Joint-Shinobi Alliance, along with Captain of Tactical Operations Nara Shikamaru and Captain of the Ground Forces Rock Lee, go back in time in order to better prepare for the inevitable war.
Would anyone be surprised to know that its page has far more obvious effort put into it than the actual book's? To the point that I couldn't even find anything worth mocking on the book's page, it's so terse and bland, but the fanfiction's goes hog wild with each trope's examples and context. (No, I won't quote it here; it's too impenetrable to be funny.)

OK, I did find one nugget in the book's page...

Literature: A Wrinkle in Time posted:

Hilarious in Hindsight: Most modern readers will wonder if working with the Tesseract makes Meg's father Dr. Erik Selvig or Loki.
:thumbsup:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 31, 2014

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

sweeperbravo posted:

No like I get that and all, but like, that's something that should be a given, not a point of pride, you know

Yes. Exactly. I don't think anyone here is trying to say that this is such a great site, just that TVTropes is absolutely horrible. Which is why we're making fun of it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

I'M THE KING OF THE SHITPILE

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alouicious posted:

I'M THE KING OF THE SHITPILE

no me

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Ninjasaurus posted:

As we established earlier ITT, 14 seems to be tropers' preferred age for their fap material.

I like to pretend that all tropers are 14 themselves to make it okay, and it's easy to do from their standard of writing and personalities, but I know it's probably not true. :smith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

I like to pretend that all tropers are 14 themselves to make it okay, and it's easy to do from their standard of writing and personalities, but I know it's probably not true. :smith:

I thnk someone said the age of the average user was like late 20s-early 30s.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sweeperbravo posted:

I thnk someone said the age of the average user was like late 20s-early 30s.
Yeah, the site had a poll, and those two bars were the longest (and there was an unpleasantly surprising number of 40- and 50-year-olds, too). Of course, teenagers lie about their ages on the Internet all the time, so there's a sliver of hope here.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, the site had a poll, and those two bars were the longest (and there was an unpleasantly surprising number of 40- and 50-year-olds, too). Of course, teenagers lie about their ages on the Internet all the time, so there's a sliver of hope here.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand I feel like tropers are too beep-boop to lie about their ages and feel it's more likely they'd tell their actual age and brag about how smart and mature they are for their age than actually lie and say they're older (and then miss out on their cool hyper-maturity cred)

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Pity the really young tropers, at least the ones who use the forums, because we all know how the others see them. :smith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Pity the really young tropers, at least the ones who use the forums, because we all know how the others see them. :smith:

Remember the girl they harassed and then banned when she took issue with being harassed? Gooood times

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

In a way, isn't a ban the kindest thing they could do?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

BKPR posted:

Of course it was. It still doesn't make it less funny/disgusting that Tropers will side with grown men saying, "I wanna be allowed to gently caress 15 year olds." instead of the 15 year old saying, "Old men that want to gently caress me are gross."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

BKPR posted:

Oh definitely, in an "ends justify the means" sort of a way, yes indeed. But I can imagine being the girl and getting banned for sticking up for yourself and basically "getting banned for hurting male tropers' feelings" despite the fact that you were literally being made uncomfortable in a way that's actually significant instead of just sad unrequited lust feelings, and it's just really messed up.

Razorwired posted:

Of course it was. It still doesn't make it less funny/disgusting that Tropers will side with grown men saying, "I wanna be allowed to gently caress 15 year olds." instead of the 15 year old saying, "Old men that want to gently caress me are gross."

Exactly. If it's a matter of suddenly having to respect someone's personal space or just put yourself in anyone else's shoes at all, they can't do it and see it as a huge impingement on their inherent freedoms.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

Exactly. If it's a matter of suddenly having to respect someone's personal space or just put yourself in anyone else's shoes at all, they can't do it and see it as a huge impingement on their inherent freedoms.

I notice that a lot with Internet nerds in general, though. This weird brand of Internet Libertarianism that considers any insinuation that a man might be sexist or creepy, or that sexism (against women at least) exists and is in any way wrong, as some horrible attack on their freedom.

Of course, a lot of them tend to be actual Libertarians, too. Nothing against Libertarians or Libertarianism, but it does seem to be #1 with horrible disgusting Internet shitstains.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hammurabi posted:

I notice that a lot with Internet nerds in general, though. This weird brand of Internet Libertarianism that considers any insinuation that a man might be sexist or creepy, or that sexism (against women at least) exists and is in any way wrong, as some horrible attack on their freedom.

Of course, a lot of them tend to be actual Libertarians, too. Nothing against Libertarians or Libertarianism, but it does seem to be #1 with horrible disgusting Internet shitstains.

This troper feels life is a story where everything revolves around themselves, so why doesn't everyone else realize they're only extras in this troper's narrative?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

This troper feels life is a story where everything revolves around themselves, so why doesn't everyone else realize they're only extras in this troper's narrative?

Hmm. Forget the age survey, I'd like to see what percentage of Tropers are sincere solipsists.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

Anyhow, my moment of Fridge Brilliance revelation to Shakespeare came when trying to adapt the premise of King Lear to a futuristic western, and started cross-referencing Magnificent Bastards throughout his other works.
I like modern updates to Shakespheare, but this just sounds lolrandom.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

WickedHate posted:

I like modern updates to Shakespheare, but this just sounds lolrandom.

Does Gloucester have his eyes plucked out for kickin' rad cyborg eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

It's because libertarianism is generally based around the pathological terror that anyone else might wish to regulate your behaviour or require you to help another human being. Libertarians who've actually thought about their philosophy and what it means tend to be the worst sort of gently caress-you-got-mine sociopaths, which is why it's the preferred political leaning of MRAs.

• Locked thread