Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Met posted:

For your typical demigod, this is what I like to run:

High Strength
High Agility
High Toughness
High Endurance
High Recuperation
High Disease Resistence
Very Low Musicality (this is worthless)
High Kinesthetic Sense (affects many skills involving movement)

Average everything else. For reasonings why, check out this page for what attributes do.

For your skills, you'll probably want Novice Reading and Adequate Swimming. Reading allows you to become a necromancer if you decide you want to. You don't need higher than Novice skill for this. Adequate swimming allows you to swim at all without drowning the second you get in the water.

After that, toss your points wherever you like. Generally I focus a lot of points into my main weapon skill, and a moderate amount of points into my shield and a bit more than that in my generic armor skill. I think it's harder to train armor skills than it is to train the shield skill.

Fighter trains pretty quickly, but it wouldn't hurt to start out with a chunk of points in there too. Probably about the same as your shield skill.

You can jump over most rivers now, so swimming is not essentail as it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I forgot that jumping and climbing were both implemented in this latest release. That is how my fortress died.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LeJackal posted:

I forgot that jumping and climbing were both implemented in this latest release. That is how my fortress died.

So who jumped in? :v:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

LeJackal posted:

wait...can Bronze Collossi climb and jump?

:iit:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I asked earlier, but i didn't get a answer. So i googled, but i couldn't find any good answer to it so I'm gonna try asking a last time before i just jump in myself.

Are marksdwarves still bugged? I couldn't get them to shoot half the time last time i played.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Beats me. In my latest fort I have a squad of 10 marksmen and they shoot metal bolts and train with wooden ones at my archery ranges.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They're not so much bugged as obtuse. If they don't have a normal barracks to bullshit about punching and armor in, they won't use the ranges. Every archery target must be designated separately into its own "stall".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

They're not so much bugged as obtuse. If they don't have a normal barracks to bullshit about punching and armor in, they won't use the ranges. Every archery target must be designated separately into its own "stall".

Do you think you could take the time to write a detailed description of what i have to do make them play nice? I don't quite follow.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Do you think you could take the time to write a detailed description of what i have to do make them play nice? I don't quite follow.

Worked through this yet? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Archery

If so, it would help to explain what specifically isn't working.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

deathrat posted:

:frogsiren: Got DFHack to compile for new version(0.40.04) :frogsiren:

Download here. Don't blame me if it breaks horribly though(as it most likely will since not all of the mappings are done yet), I didn't really test it past getting it to start without crashing. Also, I didn't compile Stonesense or Isoworld, I'll see if those'll work in a bit. Stonesense and Isoworld don't work yet.

Two of the plugins I really wanted with dfhack -- prospect and dig -- aren't included with this build. I have pretty much zero experience working with a tool of this complexity. Is there a way I can jam those plugins into this build? Or do they need to be rebuilt for the current version?

*EDIT*
Looks like no. I tried throwing ones from an earlier version in there and they farted out a no-go message.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 26, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So after squandering goondorfs.net for a couple years, I'm going to let the domain expire. If anyone wants to use it for whatever, I'd happily transfer it so that it doesn't have to go back into the pool and get squatted by some bot. You just gotta promise to do something interesting (and maybe keep the great dworacle running (after cleaning it up: looks like someone (unsuccessfully) tried to run a few injection attacks at some point. :3:)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

So after squandering goondorfs.net for a couple years, I'm going to let the domain expire. If anyone wants to use it for whatever, I'd happily transfer it so that it doesn't have to go back into the pool and get squatted by some bot. You just gotta promise to do something interesting (and maybe keep the great dworacle running (after cleaning it up: looks like someone (unsuccessfully) tried to run a few injection attacks at some point. :3:)

I don't have any good ideas for it at the moment, but I'd take it over just to keep the Gemclod archive alive if nobody else steps up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, I totally forgot Gemclod was on there. All right, I'll PM you about getting a transfer sorted out unless somebody else flips out for it today.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hey, I'm thinking of getting back into the game after a few years. Last time I played was before they created the expanded military organization. Last time I kept track of the game vampires had been introduced. What are systems have been updated that I need to familiarize myself with and what other nifty things has Toady added since then? I took a look at the changelog but it's all foreign to me now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

3D MINECRAFT TREES MOTHERFUCKER. CLIMBING. JUMPING. TEMPORARILY RETIRING FORTRESSES TO AI CONTROL AND COMING BACK LATER. SHOUTING OBSCENITIES AT GOD IN A CROWDED MARKET

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

IT IS TERRIFYING

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Real talk; not to much has changed for fortress mode this update.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gamerofthegame posted:

Real talk; not to much has changed for fortress mode this update.

You mean, other than critical bugfixes and enemies being able to climb?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

scamtank posted:

3D MINECRAFT TREES MOTHERFUCKER. CLIMBING. JUMPING. TEMPORARILY RETIRING FORTRESSES TO AI CONTROL AND COMING BACK LATER. SHOUTING OBSCENITIES AT GOD IN A CROWDED MARKET

Ooo. Excellent.

I'm glad that the retiring feature was finally initiated.

What some of insane bugs have occurred due to it?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

my dad posted:

You mean, other than critical bugfixes and enemies being able to climb?

And the entire world simulating while you play? And invasions actually coming from neighboring civs? And pissing off a liaison possibly leading to an invasion? And all sorts of other poo poo.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
I have a still on the surface that can brew drinks no problem, and one underground (nearer to my food pile) where both brew options are red. There are empty barrels near the underground one as well; am I hitting some sort of weird DF2014 pathing bug, or just forgetting some other detail?

edit: they're also hauling the plant reagents from the underground food pile.

Meat Street fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 26, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Donkringel posted:

Ooo. Excellent.

I'm glad that the retiring feature was finally initiated.

When you unretire it entities are put into holes sealed in the ground and their inability to path destroys the FPS.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Let me think, everybody help me out here. Creatures with smell-blooded-creatures-through-walls sense climbing up trees to get away from the horrible underground creatures they can sense leagues below the earth. Groups of animal people in the wilderness not defending themselves, instead commenting on every attack you make on them as a historical fact and repeatedly introducing themselves to you and each other as [TRANS_NAME. Foreign goblins with the ethic KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED accidentally infiltrating towns and markets of other civilizations, causing massive 30-man free-for-all carving knife fights whenever you enter the area. Underground mushroom trees not giving a gently caress and straight up smashing through cave ceilings to grow. Computer-generated fortresses furnished with endless rows of anvils where chairs should be. Diving birds like owls and falcons overshooting their dive paths due to trees somehow, smashing straight into the rocks and killing themselves. Everything and everyone being horribly scared of violence, goblin invaders and apex predators included.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

scamtank posted:

Let me think, everybody help me out here. Creatures with smell-blooded-creatures-through-walls sense climbing up trees to get away from the horrible underground creatures they can sense leagues below the earth. Groups of animal people in the wilderness not defending themselves, instead commenting on every attack you make on them as a historical fact and repeatedly introducing themselves to you and each other as [TRANS_NAME. Foreign goblins with the ethic KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED accidentally infiltrating towns and markets of other civilizations, causing massive 30-man free-for-all carving knife fights whenever you enter the area. Underground mushroom trees not giving a gently caress and straight up smashing through cave ceilings to grow. Computer-generated fortresses furnished with endless rows of anvils where chairs should be. Diving birds like owls and falcons overshooting their dive paths due to trees somehow, smashing straight into the rocks and killing themselves. Everything and everyone being horribly scared of violence, goblin invaders and apex predators included.

My favorite was the two sponge-men someone encountered in a river. The spongemen hated each other, each demanding the other to surrender and screaming insults at each other for all of eternity.

But they never actually fought each other, because sponge men are permanently anchored to the river floor and can't move.

Not sure whether or not it's actually a proper bug, but it seems worth mentioning again anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Two of the plugins I really wanted with dfhack -- prospect and dig -- aren't included with this build. I have pretty much zero experience working with a tool of this complexity. Is there a way I can jam those plugins into this build? Or do they need to be rebuilt for the current version?

*EDIT*
Looks like no. I tried throwing ones from an earlier version in there and they farted out a no-go message.

I want those plugins too. Once I get the Mac stuff sorted this afternoon I'll take a swing at those. It will probably be terrifying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I haven't used DFHack or any of the extended features of Masterwork in so long that I've entirely forgotten how to use plugins or enable things like embark anywhere and it's driving me up the wall.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Erm should boogeymen be making desperate raids on dwarven civic halls in the night? Because I went to sleep with those weird hill dwarves to try and avoid this very situation!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

hepatizon posted:

Worked through this yet? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Archery

If so, it would help to explain what specifically isn't working.

Saw through that yeah and i can't find any mention about the issue where they just wrestle with their bows instead of firing, so i guess it MIGHT be fixed? But i also see that they are pretty hosed still so EH, i'll wait another 4 years or until i want to make a fort with just a line of angry and armored dwarves as the ultimate defense.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

*EDIT*

I got dig to compile(along with digginginvaders, dwarfmonitor, and siege-engine) which you can download here, I'll try to see if I can get prospector working.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This survived light testing on my OS X machine with 40.04: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjzjxntrobe2b6s/dfhack-osx-40.04.tar.gz

LMK if you have problems and I'll make confused and helpless faces in return.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

scamtank posted:

Don't forget swarms of evil babies appearing for no reason, babies sometimes coming into the world with knives in their possession, butchers being horrified into uselessness upon butchering things, dorfs swarming caravans to steal all their medical supplies, and traders immediately climbing trees and promptly going batfuck insane.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Also horrendous lag when generating worlds and passing time in the calendar, resulting in an inability to make or use worlds larger than Small without massive lag.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

traders immediately climbing trees and promptly going batfuck insane.

Hell, everyone climbing trees and being unable to get down. I had a child gain Armor User skill by climbing a tree, falling off, and having his clothing deflect the Earth's blow. :black101:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

scamtank posted:

Everything and everyone being horribly scared of violence, goblin invaders and apex predators included.
To the point where you can stroll into a castle full of armed guards and punch the lord in the stomach and all of his guards will immediately drop to the fetal position and cry.

Also becoming the lord of a town is as simple as saying that you are, and then killing the old one, which is not hard considering that they're all basically unguarded.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

Also becoming the lord of a town is as simple as saying that you are, and then killing the old one, which is not hard considering that they're all basically unguarded.

Has anyone used this to grind out dominion over the world yet?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

It's no better in Fortress mode, where with the current emotion system, difficulty is binary; either your dwarves have sufficient Discipline to not even flinch at the sight of their best friend getting disemboweled by a giant fire-breathing tortoise, or they cower in fear at the sight of a fluffy wambler

there is no middle ground.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Are spontaneously collapsing trees occurring for anyone else?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

scamtank posted:

Maybe not a true glitch, but I did enjoy leaving an elven commune in adventure mode only to find dozens of elves who had broken every bone in their bodies jumping out of their treehouses.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Are spontaneously collapsing trees occurring for anyone else?

toadys solution was to have trees that grow too fast spontaneously re-collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Verviticus posted:

toadys solution was to have trees that grow too fast spontaneously re-collapse

:psyduck: what a terrible solution, I'm in a jungle biome and my surface dwarves keep getting knocked out by collapsing trees. I guess I'll clear-cut