Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Poizen Jam posted:

Also the high rises above 10 levels in the rural zone looks completely out of place.

Depends what style you're going for. It's totally normal here in Korea. There are small towns that are basically just a small cluster of 30 story apartment blocks surrounded by farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Seriously? The more you know I guess- it just looks so odd to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. This isn't a great example but vaguely what I mean.

50 million people in a country the size of Indiana that's like 80% mountain makes for some interesting urbanization patterns.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In Korea and Japan it's also kind of a status thing to live in a high rise building, or at least in Japan it used to be, nowadays people seem to prefer regular houses again, but there are still lots of "tower mansions" with French names. I guess it was seen as a modern, fancy thing so lots of them were built, much like the giant 70's hotels in the middle of nowhere that are everywhere in Japan at least.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Depends what style you're going for. It's totally normal here in Korea. There are small towns that are basically just a small cluster of 30 story apartment blocks surrounded by farms.
Also see Houston.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The reason is a lot that grows that building on low density housing. I am not sure that area even has water.
It basically means I need to remove a mod so not, not intentional.

About duplicate growables, it adds something that a series of similar houses grows in the same street. I live on a street that has a series of 10 nearly identical 16 story buildings that were put here from 69 to 73, one after the other:

Anyway, I know my cities are not grand but I figured this thread could use some pictures.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Keetron posted:

The reason is a lot that grows that building on low density housing. I am not sure that area even has water.
It basically means I need to remove a mod so not, not intentional.

About duplicate growables, it adds something that a series of similar houses grows in the same street. I live on a street that has a series of 10 nearly identical 16 story buildings that were put here from 69 to 73, one after the other:

Anyway, I know my cities are not grand but I figured this thread could use some pictures.
It's cool, not everyone has the time nor desire to sperg out on realism.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

When I was in Israel I saw a quite a few towns in the desert or just outside some old-rear end biblical town that were basically a cluster of 10-15 story hardened concrete buildings around a small communal area.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

Here's a guide to create good beaches: http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/_/simcity-4/tutorials/how-to-make-eye-pleasing-realistic-beaches-r106

Basically you get some mods, and the most import one is beaches for irregular coasts: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/2045-fmbeachesforirregularcoasts/

Then you terraform the land a bit and plop the proper beach lots on top.

Keep in mind that doing this over any large stretch of terrain will be a massive pain in the rear end. To get things looking nice you really need to use the sea-wall packs as well, and those are somewhat notorious for being unwieldy.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is also the case in Taiwan in many places. Though not-so-much on the East side of the island, and on the Westside many times the buildings are all in a row not clustered together like some of those Korean pictures.

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 21, 2014

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wow this OSX port is amazing. It runs better/more reliably than my install on my windows machine.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Wow this OSX port is amazing. It runs better/more reliably than my install on my windows machine.

Yeah, if I could sort getting the mods to play nice I'd use that version all the time. It's amazingly stable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I rediscovered a guy I knew a long time ago who is doing a podcast about urbanization, I've been listening to a shitload of it lately. Might interest other SimCity nerds. http://blog.colinmarshall.org/

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Haven't read the entire thread so maybe it's been addressed, and saw it wasn't linked in the OP, but I believe I've stumbled across the original goon gigapack on an old drive in my drawer. Should I upload somewhere?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I have finally entered the realm of high density. :getin:

ie. get out smelly poors

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I've never had a single SC4 crash on Windows since I started isolating the game to its own core. Does that not work for everyone else?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never even did that latter part and it rarely if ever crashed for me, even with a few gigs of barely compatible mods. The only thing that would always crash it is if I put a transit puzzle piece over another transit piece.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Imapanda posted:

I have finally entered the realm of high density. :getin:

ie. get out smelly poors

Nice city! But high density areas can be full of smelly poors too:

:frogsiren:

Here's the original post, if you missed it, and want to see the rest of my dystopian megaslum.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One of the first things I do when I start a game is turn off those annoying car icons that want you to click them.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Taeke posted:

One of the first things I do when I start a game is turn off those annoying car icons that want you to click them.

How do you do this? I've been playing this game for years, always wanted to do that, and never knew it was possible. :downs:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rah! posted:

How do you do this? I've been playing this game for years, always wanted to do that, and never knew it was possible. :downs:

Go into the Sims-esque icon (the one after God and Build modes) and poke around in there; it's next to the day/night cycle settings IIRC.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rah! posted:

Here's the original post, if you missed it, and want to see the rest of my dystopian megaslum.
So no education and health care will get you some great projects? No police station will cause some drugs and alcohol issues but at least they will not upgrade to medium wealth.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Rah! posted:

Don't worry, I only figured it out a year or so ago too after I got fed up and googled, hoping that maybe there was a mod or something to turn them off. Turned out it was an option hidden away for some reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

Megacity 1!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Feel like playing this again, but I'd be starting from scratch and frankly could not be bothered with going through all that dependency hell again to get the bits I want.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Feel like playing this again, but I'd be starting from scratch and frankly could not be bothered with going through all that dependency hell again to get the bits I want.

Grab the mega pack from the OP ?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Rah! posted:

**awesome pics here**

So, How do you make a megaslum? :stare:

I thought more sims move in when an area has a high demand. But isn't demand only raised when the sims have a better quality of life (being not poor)? My cities only seem to grow way faster after I finished placing down all the upper tiered public utilities.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

*PUNCH* posted:

The Original Goon Gigapack

[I'm keeping this as a placeholder for now, but unfortunately no one seems to have a copy of this around at this time. If you do, please post in the thread and we'll figure out how to upload/host it.]

This is the oldest pack we've got, dating back to sometime in 2008. It includes all the normal fixes plus CAM with most of its content. This pack can create giant cities, and includes most of the common dependency packs, so adding to it shouldn't be terribly hard. The individual buildings and mods in this pack have been compressed into several large .dat files, which means it's hard to take buildings out of this pack that annoy you. That said it is a very good pack.

Killhour's Spergin' Gigapack

[This pack has also been regrettably lost; once again, if someone has a copy, please post in the thread! We'll find a way to host it.]

A pack for the inner obsessive lurking within, well, not a whole lot of us, really. This pack is very light on custom buildings, but very heavy on scenic options: highway buffers, retaining walls, rocks, trees, and other goodies. It's meant for people who like the original style of the game but enjoy sprucing up their neighborhoods with natural (and man-made) goodies. It includes NAM, and is the smallest pack we have available.

I found both these and can make them available somewhere.

Imapanda posted:

I thought more sims move in when an area has a high demand. But isn't demand only raised when the sims have a better quality of life (being not poor)? My cities only seem to grow way faster after I finished placing down all the upper tiered public utilities.
You basically have to increase R$ demand by generating tons of low skilled jobs with IA and ID and allow these slums to be build by removing all that will increase desire to live somewhere such as parks, healthcare, education and police coverage. Like Detroit then and now...

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Apart from the slow boot up, the new modpack is awesome.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I downloaded the jan 2014 network addon from their site but it doesn't seem to be an .exe file. Every time I try to open it, it asks what progy to open with. Not had much joy as i'm dumb. Any ideas? Using Win 8 if it matters.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Imapanda posted:

Being a Slumlord in SimCity takes a lot of dedication, it's arguably harder than making a city with a bunch of middle and upper class folks.

But it's worth it, man. You can sit comfortably on your throne of blood money while your average lifespan hits like 30. It's a great way to start one of those Mega Huge Land Plots, since you can just have the poor people's hellish existences pay for your rich people's tech- and office-based lifestyles. Then, slowly gentrify the place and kick out the poors as you pick up much-needed reward buildings like fusion energy.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Keetron posted:

I found both these and can make them available somewhere.

Please do, I'll add them to the OP! My only concern with the OG goon gigapack is if the NAM can be updated... I remember it being DATpacked in with everything else, but that was years ago.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

*PUNCH* posted:

Please do, I'll add them to the OP! My only concern with the OG goon gigapack is if the NAM can be updated... I remember it being DATpacked in with everything else, but that was years ago.

Still datpacked, so you cannot update NAM. But who cares, it is more for posterity then anything else.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tai posted:

I downloaded the jan 2014 network addon from their site but it doesn't seem to be an .exe file. Every time I try to open it, it asks what progy to open with. Not had much joy as i'm dumb. Any ideas? Using Win 8 if it matters.

Still unable to get it working and google hadn't been much help.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
OK i got the network addon via oldfashioned 3. Any ideas why it crashes the game (not NAM)? I removed the terrain mods section as someone mentioned it was iffy with new cards/hardware mode.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Make sure you have the 4gb patch installed as well as the processor affinity set to single core. Sadly this might not. Be your issue because it more often is related to stability than CTD on load, BUT it wouldn't hurt when you do get it working

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
4 gb patch? What the christ, I dont remember patching that much in previous installs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

As in the patch that lets SimCity use 4 GB of RAM.

Even hoovertastic mod packs don't weigh in that big.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As in the patch that lets SimCity use 4 GB of RAM.

Even hoovertastic mod packs don't weigh in that big.

Is this automatically patched with Steam or a user made one?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

J-Pak posted:

Is this automatically patched with Steam or a user made one?

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

They mean this one. All it does is make programs large address aware.
Though I think you're going to have to run one hell of a lot of mods for SimCity 4 to require this; you're more likely to be bottlenecked by your CPU as the game is only stable when running it on a single core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks, it was the single core thing. Completely forgot about it. My mod folder is approaching 3 GB and not patched to the 4GB memory thing yet.

Any recommendation of decent terrain/scenic packs? Looking to make a hilly region into a national pack with decent trails, picnic benches, some nice rivers and maybe some larger ploppables that would fit in the general theme of a national park.

• Locked thread