Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

smilingfish posted:

Smallpox Debate Thread: Sometimes, we also talk about the anti-vaccination movement.

I really wish Ogmius would answer Obdicut's questions on why he argued for so long being aware he was completely wrong, and why he purposely ignored evidence that he knew proved him wrong. Why did he keep beating his drum well afterwards? Why continue making poo poo up when you know you're wrong and people are going to call you out? This would be a great insight into the mind of anti-vaxxers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He already furnished an answer:

Ogmius815 posted:

I didn't see any clear benefits explained until E-tank's post like an hour ago. I tried to ignore that for a few minutes because I don't like to lose arguments on the internet okay guys? Sorry.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I sat down to check the 250+ posts in this thread thinking "oh, hey, some antivaxxer did something stupid again" but nooooo, ten pages of poxchat. I used to like this thread. :(

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheKennedys posted:

I sat down to check the 250+ posts in this thread thinking "oh, hey, some antivaxxer did something stupid again" but nooooo, ten pages of poxchat. I used to like this thread. :(

I'd say it's a very similar discussion: irrational fears, a conspiracy theory about scientists, and people with no actual knowledge of the field thinking that it's perfectly fine for them to make judgements about it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

TheKennedys posted:

And this is totally getting it back on track somehow. Somehow.

So I'm not a hypocrite, have a Daily Show article from Salon.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/03/the_daily_show_anti_vaxxers_are_the_climate_denying_nutjobs_of_the_left/

Edit:

Obdicut posted:

I'd say it's a very similar discussion: irrational fears, a conspiracy theory about scientists, and people with no actual knowledge of the field thinking that it's perfectly fine for them to make judgements about it.

That too. It does sort of smack of a bunch of fear mongering that scientists and doctors researching viruses and their potential beneficial uses are really out to kill us all and can't let go of their toys. :tinfoil:

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

E-Tank posted:

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/03/the_daily_show_anti_vaxxers_are_the_climate_denying_nutjobs_of_the_left/

What's fun about that article to me is how much credibility antivaxxers have lost in light of the recent measles outbreaks. The whole ideology is getting pushed out into the fringes where it belongs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cercadelmar posted:

What's fun about that article to me is how much credibility antivaxxers have lost in light of the recent measles outbreaks. The whole ideology is getting pushed out into the fringes where it belongs.

Until there arises up a new generation over America, who will not have known Measles, and so will think that Vaccines are Not Necessary and also cause Leprosy or something, Despite the best Evidence. Selah.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Until there arises up a new generation over America, who will not have known Measles, and so will think that Vaccines are Not Necessary and also cause Leprosy or something, Despite the best Evidence. Selah.

Now I finally understand why God kept asking Moses to let Him kill all the Israelites every time He dazzled them with a miracle to save their asses and two hours later they'd forgotten all about it and were worshiping random animals or whatever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

Now I finally understand why God kept asking Moses to let Him kill all the Israelites every time He dazzled them with a miracle to save their asses and two hours later they'd forgotten all about it and were worshiping random animals or whatever.

They sure are a stiff-necked people. But I'm sure a trip to the chiropractor can fix that! :haw:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So it goes

Did you know that you can heal your body with a magic wand? It only costs $60! I've purchased 10 for the discount and so that I can put them all over the house like they recommend (keeps food fresh!)

quote:

HOW TO USE THE NANO ENERGY WAND:

• Start by rotating the wand 3 times slowly counter-clockwise followed by continued slow clockwise motions on the area you are working on.
• Touch the area you “wand” after each 3, 9, 18 (or more) rotations for best results.
• Press and rotate at least 3 times on all finger and toe tips to clear energy blockages.
• You do not have to limit the use to 3, 9, 18 rotations. It may take up to 10 minutes (or more) to achieve the desired effects.

You can wand through clothes, directly on the skin or just above it. Also you can hold the wand on the problem area to achieve results. Even if you're not feeling any discomfort it is still a good idea to use your wand. This will help remove any blocked energies that might be building up.

Results vary for each individual and may also depend on the problem area. Results can also be delayed until the next day.

ADDITIONAL NANO ENERGY WAND USES:

• It's great for people who do energy work. Just place the wand under the pillow or near the client while working on them. This can help relax the body, loosen the muscles and nerves.
• A deeper, more peaceful sleep may be achieved by putting the nano wand under your pillow or under your bed.
You may also stir liquids with the nano wand to energize your drinks. Or liquid can be poured over the wand where it picks up the resonance. The resonance generated is similar to that found in the earth surrounding many natural healing springs.
Place a wand in the refrigerator to help keep food fresher and tastier.

NANO ENERGY WAND USE ON PETS:

• Use the same technique as suggested for humans.
• Place the wand in between your animal's toe pads to clear blocked energy fields.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Even your dog would think you're an idiot.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

QuarkJets posted:

So it goes

Did you know that you can heal your body with a magic wand? It only costs $60! I've purchased 10 for the discount and so that I can put them all over the house like they recommend (keeps food fresh!)

Also known as "things that happen when stationery businesses run out of ideas".

Seriously, it looks like a ~premium~ (not actually premium) advertising ballpoint pen that doesn't work.

e: apparently it works with zero point energy, does that mean I can take it through the stargate and stick it into ancient spaceships I happen to find?

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 15, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

blowfish posted:

Also known as "things that happen when stationery businesses run out of ideas".

Seriously, it looks like a ~premium~ (not actually premium) advertising ballpoint pen that doesn't work.

e: apparently it works with zero point energy, does that mean I can take it through the stargate and stick it into ancient spaceships I happen to find?

I also like how it gets more expensive the further down the page you get.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Its regular price is 150$, how do people who believe in magic writing untensils afford to get scammed so much?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cercadelmar posted:

Its regular price is 150$, how do people who believe in magic writing untensils afford to get scammed so much?

But it retails for $300! The savings!

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
The Chiropracty discussion seems to come and go quickly, but I haven't seen it brought up yet that neck manipulations can increase your chance of stroke. So even though there doesn't seem to be consensus on just how big of a risk this poses (Most opinions say it's a lower end risk), at least be aware to not get your neck fondled if you're only having back pain and be mindful of any dizziness, blurred vision, or any other abnormal feelings after you do get a neck manipulation and see a real doctor immediately.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 15, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

E-Tank posted:

Edit:

That too. It does sort of smack of a bunch of fear mongering that scientists and doctors researching viruses and their potential beneficial uses are really out to kill us all and can't let go of their toys. :tinfoil:

Some things just can't be made funny. I think Bee kind of figured out during the making of that piece that anti-vax stuff is just horrible and evil. Her narration at the end is pretty much just explaining how bad things are.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Cercadelmar posted:

After a certain point in life, you see enough of this poo poo to wonder why you weren't smart enough to come up with a scam like that yourself. As long as you craft the language as vague as possible so that you're not really claiming it does anything I guess you can make bank off of stupid people.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

J Corp posted:

I really wish Ogmius would answer Obdicut's questions on why he argued for so long being aware he was completely wrong, and why he purposely ignored evidence that he knew proved him wrong. Why did he keep beating his drum well afterwards? Why continue making poo poo up when you know you're wrong and people are going to call you out? This would be a great insight into the mind of anti-vaxxers.

Because some people value Not Losing over being objectively correct at all costs. To lose or concede the point would mean sacrificing your ego, which is unacceptable, so the ego must be protected at all costs in spite of reality to the contrary.

See: Republican guy during the last government shutdown who admitted they didn't even know what they wanted to win but, by God, they're going to get something out of this!

This process of bending reality to serve the ego is really foreign to the Leftist mindset in dealing with the outside world, which does the complete opposite; ie bending ego to better fit with reality.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 15, 2014

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Christ, I just found out that a family friend of my girlfriend is an anti-vaxxer. Unfortunately, she's also a loving nurse! I remember having a conversation that was edging toward this topic during a wedding months back, and deciding that I was better off not going any further. We were discussing the efficacy of the flu vaccine, which she said was worthless and she didn't get it. And, of course, she was using her job as a nurse as a rhetorical cudgel to support her dumb position. She's working with immune compromised people! She should be loving fired!

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

After a certain point in life, you see enough of this poo poo to wonder why you weren't smart enough to come up with a scam like that yourself. As long as you craft the language as vague as possible so that you're not really claiming it does anything I guess you can make bank off of stupid people.

Honestly, I respect anyone who can make a scam like this. It takes a special kind of person to charge 60$ for 'magic wands' with a straight face.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SinetheGuy posted:

Christ, I just found out that a family friend of my girlfriend is an anti-vaxxer. Unfortunately, she's also a loving nurse! I remember having a conversation that was edging toward this topic during a wedding months back, and deciding that I was better off not going any further. We were discussing the efficacy of the flu vaccine, which she said was worthless and she didn't get it. And, of course, she was using her job as a nurse as a rhetorical cudgel to support her dumb position. She's working with immune compromised people! She should be loving fired!
I can't remember what the penalty for not getting a flu vaccine was in my hospital, but it was fairly hefty. And, well, she's not totally wrong about the flu vaccine, last year's had a pretty drat high rate of failure. (Also note that not taking the flu vaccine isn't the same as being opposed to vaccinating kids). All that said, there's zero excuse for a healthcare worker working with at-risk populations to not be vaccinated.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

I can't remember what the penalty for not getting a flu vaccine was in my hospital, but it was fairly hefty. And, well, she's not totally wrong about the flu vaccine, last year's had a pretty drat high rate of failure. (Also note that not taking the flu vaccine isn't the same as being opposed to vaccinating kids). All that said, there's zero excuse for a healthcare worker working with at-risk populations to not be vaccinated.

Well, I figured at the time that it was limited to not taking the flu vaccine because of its relative inefficacy (still take it!). But just last night I found she was a full-on antivaxxer, kids and all. It's an example of having just a little knowledge being a very dangerous thing. Give someone a reason to think they're right about something, and they won't think critically about it ever again.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That clip is right. This will only stop once enough people die from preventable diseases. Then it will be back again in the future. The only other solution is enforcing vaccinations. Kind of like how we try to enforce air quality controls on industry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

Because deep down you'd know that you're a lovely person. It'd be easy to come up with some fake herbal supplement product and claim X, Y, and Z for a quick buck, but most people don't because most people have a conscience.

lovely people willing to scam the gullible create groups like anti-vaxxers

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That clip is right. This will only stop once enough people die from preventable diseases. Then it will be back again in the future. The only other solution is enforcing vaccinations. Kind of like how we try to enforce air quality controls on industry.

But then it becomes BIG GOVERNMENT and causes a bunch of nutcase libertarians to believe that it's a conspiracy to sterilize conservatives or some other stupid loving thing. There's no way to win here except through really, really good science education.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SinetheGuy posted:

uh tell her boss dude what are you even doing

Seriously, what are you thinking?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Because deep down you'd know that you're a lovely person. It'd be easy to come up with some fake herbal supplement product and claim X, Y, and Z for a quick buck, but most people don't because most people have a conscience.

But then it becomes BIG GOVERNMENT and causes a bunch of nutcase libertarians to believe that it's a conspiracy to sterilize conservatives or some other stupid loving thing. There's no way to win here except through really, really good science education.

The thing is we don't really lose much if the libertarians don't like it. Let them refuse, get arrested and vaccinated against their will. If they try and resist violently then it's a few less nutjobs in the world. Like school integration, sometimes you just have to use force for the good of society, even against parts that don't wish it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Considering how incredibly stupid and gullible people are, I really don't feel bad about it at all as long as it's a simple transaction where I sell my magic wand to a moron and they give me money for it.

Now if they use that to try and cure their kid of the measles (because obviously they didn't vaccinate) then yeah I'd feel bad.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

uh tell her boss dude what are you even doing

Seriously, what are you thinking?

Having looked into it a little further, it turns out she works at a chiropractic clinic. So on the one hand, while her anti-vaxx stance is probably uncontroversial there, at least she (presumably) isn't directly working with infirm patients.

Stealth edit:
Wonderful. It's pediatric chiropractic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SinetheGuy posted:

Having looked into it a little further, it turns out she works at a chiropractic clinic. So on the one hand, while her anti-vaxx stance is probably uncontroversial there, at least she (presumably) isn't directly working with infirm patients.

Stealth edit:

She'll adjust the measles right out of'em! :pseudo:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

SinetheGuy posted:

Stealth edit:

If you have kids, tell her that you're not letting her anywhere near them until she's gotten that loving flu shot.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

SinetheGuy posted:

Stealth edit:

How is that even allowed.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

How is that even allowed.

Because there are idiots in the world. Hell, there was a post I remember seeing somewhere about a brand newborn being 'adjusted', along with the sisters who were all 'well adjusted'.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

Considering how incredibly stupid and gullible people are, I really don't feel bad about it at all as long as it's a simple transaction where I sell my magic wand to a moron and they give me money for it.

Now if they use that to try and cure their kid of the measles (because obviously they didn't vaccinate) then yeah I'd feel bad.

But that is what they're going to do. You're convincing a dumb person to give you money for a magic wand (which is already pretty terrible) and then they're going to use this product to cure themselves of... whatever happens to ail them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

But that is what they're going to do. You're convincing a dumb person to give you money for a magic wand (which is already pretty terrible) and then they're going to use this product to cure themselves of... whatever happens to ail them.

If you have any conscience, you are eventually going to end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunFKD-Xfpo&t=836s

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Here's something that's sort of relevant. If you're interested in the history of vaccination, it is well worth a read:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/07/lice-doctor-lviv-nazi-germany-109255.html?ml=m_t1_2h

Its about a Jewish doctor who was in a concentration camp in Buchenwald that was assigned to make a Typhus vaccine for the Nazis. Of course, since nobody in charge at the camp had any knowledge about virology or infectious disease, he was able to ship a bogus vaccine to the Eastern Front where the Nazis were dying. He saved the real vaccine for the workers in the camp whom the SS didn't give a poo poo about. It is pretty drat amazing.

Especially this part:

quote:

After Kogon and Ciepielowski testified that the vaccine had been bogus, Mrugowsky—a man who had provided Zyklon-B to the gas chambers at Auschwitz, and had run a network of cruel medical experiments—appeared stunned and indignant. He accused the inmates of violating medical ethics. “These are some of the most curious remarks I have heard here,” he said. “Their attitude has nothing in common with the concepts of humanity expressed by the Herren [gentlemen] here today.”

This was met by laughter in the gallery.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

QuarkJets posted:

So it goes

Ugh all of this poo poo looks like some bored scammer with too many ballpoint pen casings found the perfect market to bullshit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Sweet, now anti-vaccination bullshit has crept into the vitamin K shot that all newborns receive to prevent internal bleeding to the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The thing is we don't really lose much if the libertarians don't like it. Let them refuse, get arrested and vaccinated against their will. If they try and resist violently then it's a few less nutjobs in the world. Like school integration, sometimes you just have to use force for the good of society, even against parts that don't wish it.
Speaking of vaccinating Libertarians, thanks to Goatstein for this originally:

quote:

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

As his trusted associates T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman pushed open the grand organic farm-grown cruelty-free redwood doors paid for by his 95% tax rate, he stepped into the antechamber of the gold-domed palace. Outside, ShariaVentalism reigned, but in here his word was law, and all his white teen sex slaves cowered before his glare more than even the hemp whips of their latte-drinking tweeded atheist masters.

He walked down the hallway toward his office and a prisoner in chains passed before him, lead by two turban-wearing Mexicans. He spotted the King and began shouting curses.

"You loving fascist! I knew it! I knew it! I told them, but they wouldn't listen, that your health care platform was a slippery slope to all this! You won't get away with this! The will of the Free Market will not be denied!"
"Seelenceo een the prezence of the Keeng, preesoner!"

King Obama spotted a chance to improve his ill mood.

"Bring him here. Good. Give me his file." The king looked over the prisoner's dossier. A long list of crimes against the state, and a repeat offender.
"You'll never get away with this! Never!"
"Hush now, Mr. Jack. We have ways of dealing with unruly sorts such as yourself."
"Praise be to Allah, seenyor."
"Peh! I spit at your torture! The Free Market gives me strength!"
"Oh, no, not anything as gauche as that."

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Kyle's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him. He motioned for his bodyguards to leave the room, and he addressed the giant screens hanging over his desk.

"Screen one on. Connect to Emperor bin Laden of Eurabia. Screen two: Hugo Chavez of the U.S.S.A.R.. Screen three: The High Elder of Zion."

The three figures appeared live via satelite.

"Gentlemen," began Obama darkly, "it's time to have...a conversation."

• Locked thread