Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The federal financial aid system is really good for the most part--if you're trying to go to school and can't afford it, they'll go out on a limb and help for free so long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork every year (and you can do it online if you want). There are tons of grants and loans available to virtually all U.S. citizens, so it kills me when people are like "I can't afford to get a degree and they won't give me no financial aid 'cause I'm white." Yes, they will, you goober. gently caress, even if you can afford to pay for tuition and fees, they might throw in a grant or a low-interest loan to help with books and supplies.

The only thing I'd change is that you're still considered a dependent of your parents until the age of 24 for financial aid purposes, so their incomes are considered when you file. I know too many people who left a bad home at a young age and are trying to make it on their own who've gotten turned down for aid because they either couldn't supply their parents' proof of income/tax returns or their parents' incomes were too high. One of the only ways around the rule is to have the state recognize you as homeless. :rolleyes:

The grants tend to be first come first serve, but I can see the type to whine about financial aid being the ones to drag rear end and miss out. Since I apply the moment it pops available, the majority of my financial aid's been grants and scholarships. Depending on the school, they also often have stipends for supplies like tablets or laptops that's separate from the usual pile of aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Segmentation Fault posted:

If he was trying to fool people into thinking he was a Christian, why would he change his name from the Western-sounding Barry Soetoro to the more exotic Barack Obama?

The thing that kills me about "Barack Obama is a muslim" theory is during the 2008 election the right wing would not shut up about his christian church's preacher saying "god drat america". Like it was the only thing they talked about for 6 months!!!

PS thanks everybody for explaining the putin thing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Peanut President posted:

The thing that kills me about "Barack Obama is a muslim" theory is during the 2008 election the right wing would not shut up about his christian church's preacher saying "god drat america". Like it was the only thing they talked about for 6 months!!!

PS thanks everybody for explaining the putin thing.

The fluid nature of reality that The Machine has created for millions of Americans ensures that Obama is exactly what he needs to be at the moment he needs to be that thing. If it's abortion we're talking about, he's a bad Christian for not denouncing it. If it's Islam, then he's a secret Muslim who wants to bring in Shariah Law. Sometimes he's an iron-fisted tyrant, who tramples over the will of The People with his Constitution-hating ways. Other times he's a weak, ineffective leader, who is too powerless to stop America's enemies.

It's an absolutely fascinating thing to watch, albeit a depressing one.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dude can't do anyting right, whatever he does is always the wrong thing. He just wants to be loved, America :-(

Wonder if Romney would be having the same problems if he had won.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

M_Sinistrari posted:

The grants tend to be first come first serve, but I can see the type to whine about financial aid being the ones to drag rear end and miss out. Since I apply the moment it pops available, the majority of my financial aid's been grants and scholarships. Depending on the school, they also often have stipends for supplies like tablets or laptops that's separate from the usual pile of aid.

Yeah if you don't fill out your FAFSA correctly and on time then it's your fault you didn't get financial aid, not the evil government's. Hell, my high school made it an assignment senior year to fill out and submit the FAFSA regardless of financial situation or college plans. I qualified for a whopping $60/semester of aid (see even rich white people can still get SOME aid!), but I was fortunate enough that my parents had started a college fund for me the second I was born and I didn't need it. All my roommates were non-minorities and all of them had financial aid and didn't have any problems except for the check sometimes coming in a week or so late.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Dude can't do anyting right, whatever he does is always the wrong thing. He just wants to be loved, America :-(

Yes, but due to literally always doing the wrong thing. :mitt:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I have to wonder if part of it is the rise of social media. Obama was elected in 2008, which was right about the time that social media was starting to become A Thing. By 2012 it was fully involved in people's lives, so any rear end in a top hat with a stupid opinion about the president could just tweet it or make a dumb macro and put it online. I'm sure every single other president in history had a portion of the population that hated his guts, they just couldn't let practically the entire world know about it.

How many idiotic chain e-mails were there about GWB or even Clinton? There had to have been some.

On that note, I can't wait to see what hilarious things the dregs of the Internet can cook up if Hillary Clinton becomes President.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i thought it was pretty funny when obama revealed his "birth tape" and it was the opening to lion king

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Leofish posted:

How many idiotic chain e-mails were there about GWB or even Clinton? There had to have been some.

I do remember getting a chain email during Clinton's go that was insisting he was having his detractors assassinated because of Ron Brown's plane crash.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Despite being a "fringe" theory, relatively major politicians and news channel talking heads have supported birthers. It's not like the "9/11 was an inside job" stuff, which never had support from anyone except that one guy you knew in high school who wants you to watch this youtube video man it'll blow your mind.

The birthers first appeared during the 2008 election, when Obama was running against someone who was literally born in Panama. If you think it's just a normal thing all presidents face and that there's no racial motivation behind calling the black guy a kenyanterrormuslim then maybe you're the idiot on social media.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i've spent a lot of money on anime in my life but i don't pretend that's something normal people do.

normal people have jobs and kids

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Holy gently caress is that :smug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Illegal_trespassing.jpg basically. That kid is welcome to live, but not on my gorram property. And if it doesn't leave peacefully, lethal force should be authorized, just like it is (or should be :freep: ) for trespassing elsewhere.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Until they start supporting programs to care for kids that are born in disadvantaged situations, the term for them should stop being "pro-life" and instead be "anti-choice"

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
"I am accused of being the enemy of America, and subject to the influence if a foreign country…and every act of my Administration is tortured, in such exaggerated and indecent terms as could scarcely be applied to Nero, to a notorious defaulters, or even to a common pickpocket." -George Washington

Accusing presidents of ridiculous things is far from new.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

This is like an old image macro of some neckbeard in front of all his moe anime poo poo saying "This guy looks pathetic, but he has a hobby he loves and a job to support it, who's pathetic now? :smuggo:"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ninjasaurus posted:

These people really, really, REALLY fuckin' love their guns and are insanely paranoid.

DrProsek posted:

Hell, I'm not even a poor white male and I'm getting some financial aid. Not much, but then again I'm not poor so I dunno maybe poor white boys are the only demographic that don't get financial aid but middle class ones do v:v:v.

The_Rob posted:

I'm a poor white male as well, and I get financial aid. I always love when I bring up financial aid to people and they go but your white how did you get it? I signed up for it and got it like literally anyone else.

Wait. Is this actually a thing? Are people honestly under the impression that you can only get financial aid if you're a minority?

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Bored posted:

Wait. Is this actually a thing? Are people honestly under the impression that you can only get financial aid if you're a minority?

I'm guessing only people who've never been to college and also don't know anyone who has been to college.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Bored posted:

Yes

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bored posted:

Yeah, idiots lump financial aid into the same pile as welfare, food stamps, WIC, etc. It's all "fukken handouts to minorities who refuse to work for a living" to those people.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BonHair posted:

Illegal_trespassing.jpg basically. That kid is welcome to live, but not on my gorram property. And if it doesn't leave peacefully, lethal force should be authorized, just like it is (or should be :freep: ) for trespassing elsewhere.

Castle Doctrine obviously. However you can only use guns.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think Castle Doctrine should be "you are allowed to challenge any and all who enter your property to a jousting competition; or fencing duel if horses are not avaliable."

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Druggachusettes posted:

I'm guessing only people who've never been to college and also don't know anyone who has been to college.

The person, whose status I posted, is/was going to university in Texas.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The weirdest thing thing about this is the stuff underneath is Chinese (and almost correct, at that!) and not Japanese, afaik. They didn't even use the right Asian language!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Excels posted:

i thought it was pretty funny when obama revealed his "birth tape" and it was the opening to lion king

"For the people at the FOX news table, that was a joke."

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

The weirdest thing thing about this is the stuff underneath is Chinese (and almost correct, at that!) and not Japanese, afaik. They didn't even use the right Asian language!

To be fair, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of chinese anime-nerds, the macro could come from there.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Bored posted:

I once had a coworker tell me that he would never be promoted because he was a white guy. The struggle is real

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Bored posted:

Yup, they hear about a grant or two that is only available to minorities that were historically underrepresented in college or that need based financial aid exists and suddenly it turns into "Financial aid is anti-white" even though those grants for minorities are private and don't come from tax payer money*, that need based financial aid is open to poor whites as well as poor non-whites, and you need to be stupidly rich before you can't get any financial aid from the government.

*which then leads to "Well why isn't there a white college grant/history month/pride/etc" which are all stupid for basically the same reason.

E: Also there are white college grants; as a Pole, I can get totally get a whole bunch of scholarships and grants listed here; http://www.pac1944.org/students/scholarships.htm

burnishedfume has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jul 26, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Magna Kaser posted:

You sure? I've been told that modern Japanese was influenced by a Chinese rulership sometime quite a few hundred years ago, and there are certain similarities between Mandarin and it as a result. Granted, I'm by no means an expert in either.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its a dumb belief that would take less than a minute to research. I am white but also poor and I qualified for financial aid, all the white people I grew up with in my poorer neighborhood all got financial aid, plenty of it. I mean I guess there are scholarships only offered to minorities (which I also support) but there is plenty of financial aid to go around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regalingualius posted:

You sure? I've been told that modern Japanese was influenced by a Chinese rulership sometime quite a few hundred years ago, and there are certain similarities between Mandarin and it as a result. Granted, I'm by no means an expert in either.
Yeah, Japanese has a lot of simplified characters that represent a single sound even in their simplest sentences. When you don't see those, almost guaranteed it's Chinese.

LoonShia posted:

I think Castle Doctrine should be "you are allowed to challenge any and all who enter your property to a jousting competition; or fencing duel if horses are not avaliable."
Well, it would provide a lot of content for the Schadenfreude thread, at least. I'd watch more videos of fat rednecks dueling to the death than I watch videos of fat rednecks brawling at Denny's.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leofish posted:

The fluid nature of reality that The Machine has created for millions of Americans ensures that Obama is exactly what he needs to be at the moment he needs to be that thing. If it's abortion we're talking about, he's a bad Christian for not denouncing it. If it's Islam, then he's a secret Muslim who wants to bring in Shariah Law. Sometimes he's an iron-fisted tyrant, who tramples over the will of The People with his Constitution-hating ways. Other times he's a weak, ineffective leader, who is too powerless to stop America's enemies.

It's an absolutely fascinating thing to watch, albeit a depressing one.

I was always frustrated years ago when Bush was a 'chimp' and an idiot who was literally the dumbest person to ever hold office but yet he was also a villain that masterminded multiple wars and skillfully manipulated the american people into shitloads of dumb things. Always frustrating when people try to have it both ways.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Breaky posted:

I was always frustrated years ago when Bush was a 'chimp' and an idiot who was literally the dumbest person to ever hold office but yet he was also a villain that masterminded multiple wars and skillfully manipulated the american people into shitloads of dumb things. Always frustrating when people try to have it both ways.

I thought the narrative was Bush is dumb, Cheney is the mastermind.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh boy, is it time again to bring up a bunch of false equivalency bullshit comparing how liberals treated Bush and conservatives treat Obama?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm a rich white guy and i can't get financial aid because my parents make to much money. I feel for all my (white,rich)brothers and sisters out there that can't get a helping hand in their education because their parents are cheap asses that don't want to give you the money you need that you know they have

Fight the disease,not the syntoms:arghfist: :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh boy, is it time again to bring up a bunch of false equivalency bullshit comparing how liberals treated Bush and conservatives treat Obama?

My favorite is that the assholes spewing the usual racist garbage about Obama are the very same ones who would tell anyone criticizing Bush 6+ years ago that they should respect the office of the President even if they didn't like the man himself.

Where's that respect now, you stupid jackholes?

I saw an actual "IMPEACH O'BUMMER" sign hanging from an overpass on the highway, with the apostrophe and everything, last week. Were people this boldly stupid in public before they had widespread internet echo chambers to reinforce their idiotic beliefs?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ninjasaurus posted:

I thought the narrative was Bush is dumb, Cheney is the mastermind.

That was also one of the narratives. Bit random really depending on who was complaining.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh god no. I think they both were ridiculous. Personally I am a little more left of center and I think there are racial overtones which make the stuff with Obama worse but I do think that all the rhetoric against Bush was fairly intellectually lazy, plenty of blame to go around besides just him. Same for Obama now.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is Obama Irish now? Because last I checked he was indonesian...

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
There is nothing wrong with criticizing an elected official as long as the claims are supported by actual evidence and you don't resort to dumb name-calling or personal attacks.

Of course, with this being reality on the internet..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm a rich white guy and i can't get financial aid because my parents make to much money. I feel for all my (white,rich)brothers and sisters out there that can't get a helping hand in their education because their parents are cheap asses that don't want to give you the money you need that you know they have

Fight the disease,not the syntoms:arghfist: :(

When I was at university in the States I had people telling me that if I hadn't gone into the Army I wouldn't have had any financial aid because I'm white. My family's net come (we were farmers so the gross and net are pretty different) was something like $8k so I'm sure we'd have tons of financial aid. Couldn't convince dumb white middle class people of this though.

BonHair posted:

Is Obama Irish now? Because last I checked he was indonesian...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplZ_taHXLM

• Locked thread