Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

tirinal posted:

Quick mechanics question from a recent sealed:

I cast hoarder dragon and exile an artifact. He bounces the dragon, then I recast next turn. Mtgo gives me the prompt to search for an artifact again, but as there's only one in the deck and it is still exiled, I have no choice but to decline.

Eventually he kills the dragon, but the artifact stays exiled. Intended?

Yes. As soon as he bounced the dragon that Artifact was Gone Forever. The second Dragon is a different instance of the same creature so it dying doesn't trigger you getting the first ones artifact back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
SCG Open starts with a 75-card mirror match. What is the loving point.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Boco_T posted:

And there's an echo in the audio that's really annoying and distracting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Oraculum Animi posted:

And there's an echo in the audio that's really annoying and distracting.

I have no idea where it's coming from, but if that's echoing through the table mic (and thus the commentary is audible to the players) then that's hilarious.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boco_T posted:

Sadly SCG usually puts on "name players" every round even if its going to be what is considered to a lot of people a boring matchup.

SCG fixed the audio doubling, then broke it, then fixed it again, then broke it... Finally they just took everything off the air. :lol:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

And now its echoing again. :allears:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Every time I tune in and see a green devotion deck, it seems like someone always has half of the deck on the battlefield.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Pinwiz11 posted:

And now its echoing again. :allears:
This is getting comical. They had it fixed twice and then broke it again.\

edit: I just noticed that SCG.com has Cedric and Patrick listed as commentators but I don't think cedric is there today. Poor Matthias Hunt.

Sep 13, 2007
It's back and fixed!

e. Just kidding, there's stuff going on in the background still.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

WTF IS HAPPENING??? WHAT IS THIS SOUNDTRACK?

Did anyone else hear that? Am I having a stroke?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Oraculum Animi posted:

It's back and fixed!

e. Just kidding, there's stuff going on in the background still.
Haha yeah it sounded like someone was loading up a pc game to play.

Sep 13, 2007
It sounds like they have the stream going through their audio because it's what they're saying only 5-10 seconds delay. I think that soundmusic stuff was their intro? I don't know. This is fun to figure out while the players shuffle their necessary 5 minutes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Korak posted:

Sadly SCG usually puts on "name players" every round even if its going to be what is considered to a lot of people a boring matchup.

I kinda wish they'd do more "These are some no-name chumps but the matchup should be interesting." type coverage.

Last week there was some guy with Slivers we got to see and that was a pretty cool game. Even if he was playing one of their big-name players.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Archenteron posted:

First FNM in a few weeks and especially since M15 just came out. Rolled out the Minotaurs deck (-3 swamps +3 Temples, -2 Fanatic (one in sideboard) +1 Slaughter Games

That deck only has 20 lands. I appreciate that most of the deck is really cheap mana cost wise but did you not find yourself screwed for mana all the time (especially with 4 coming in tapped)? I'd love to hear your thoughts as I'd like to play somethimg similar

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And it's down. SCG is having a lot of technical difficulties today.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

And it's down. SCG is having a lot of technical difficulties today.

Must be the Modern event going on tomorrow causing the problems today.
loving terrible format :argh:

Also Snapcaster should be red.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Edit: Another general poll to the crowd: Does your LGS allow you to bring your own packs to draft or sealed tournaments? Would you understand it if they didn't allow this?
We don't allow this. Years ago some players bought repacks online that were in the same wrapper, glued shut. We discovered it when people opened a pack of Avacyn Restored and got M10 cards or whatever. At first we thought it was a mistake in printing because at the prerelease, one guy (who was a store employee, so no funny business) got packs without rares. The couple claimed they "didn't know" that the packs they bought for like $1.25 each online were repacks.

The store almost allowed people to bring their own packs again, but then people found out that box mapping could be done, so that practice is gone forever. You can take store credit instead of packs as your winnings if you want to use your prize as entry for the next draft you do, but once the packs leave the sight of the counter they're tainted.

Plus it's a rule that even if a store allows people to bring their own packs, those packs need to be shuffled into the pool with the others.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My LGS is totally ok with people bringing in packs, but they do get shuffled into the pool with the rest of the packs, you certainly don't get to draft with your own packs guaranteed. Oddly prizes come in the form of packs or singles credit, with credit not being usable for future event entry fees.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
My LGS is fine with people bringing their own packs to set up a casual draft and use their space for free, but to play in any sanctioned event where they provide prize support you need to buy the stuff from them. They'll also set up a sanctioned draft with prize support any time you get 8 people together for the same price as FNM draft ($12 with 1.5 prize packs per player). I see zero problems with requiring packs be bought from them since it's nice to have a place to play magical cards, so paying for drafts every week doesn't seem like a tremendous burden.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I love prize chat.

Our store doesn't allow to bring packs for drafts, and credit received as prizes (prize pool is 2 packs per person, packs can be exchanged for $2.50 store credit) is not eligible for future event entry.

My store is primarily a games shop, though, so saving up credit for a Dominion expansion or whatever if you don't want any singles is pretty great.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
So weird rules chat, I feel sorta bad cause I may have been wrong even though I thought I was right, but in researching it's all muddy to me now.

My opponent has a 3/3. I have a Rakdos Cackler unleashed with Madcap Skills on it (5/2, can't be blocked except by two or more creatures). He casts Polymorphist's Jest on me. Does that change the Cackler at all, since it's a 1/1 base anyway?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Soothing Cacophony posted:

So weird rules chat, I feel sorta bad cause I may have been wrong even though I thought I was right, but in researching it's all muddy to me now.

My opponent has a 3/3. I have a Rakdos Cackler unleashed with Madcap Skills on it (5/2, can't be blocked except by two or more creatures). He casts Polymorphist's Jest on me. Does that change the Cackler at all, since it's a 1/1 base anyway?

It stays a 5/2, but it becomes blue, does not need to be blocked by at least 2 creatures, and gains the ability to block again until end of turn.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 26, 2014

Sep 13, 2007

qbert posted:

It stays a 5/2, but it becomes blue, does not need to be blocked by at least 2 creatures, and gains the ability to block again until end of turn.

If it still gets the bonuses from Madcaps wouldn't it also keep the needing to be blocked by at least 2 creatures part as well?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

qbert posted:

It should still keep the blocking restriction. Madcap skills doesn't grant the creature an ability, so there's no ability for polymorphist's jest to take away.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

It should still keep the blocking restriction. Madcap skills doesn't grant the creature an ability, so there's no ability for polymorphist's jest to take away.

This is correct, I think.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oraculum Animi posted:

If it still gets the bonuses from Madcaps wouldn't it also keep the needing to be blocked by at least 2 creatures part as well?

I agree with oraculum. Madcap doesn't grant the ability to the creature, it's part of the enchantment.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Man, if it weren't for the reserved list, that Farmstead would be worthless!

http://themeadery.org/articles/local-man-says-gently caress-it-rips-pack-of-beta-pulls-farmstead

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e:nm

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Its still a 5/2 that cannot be blocked except by two or more creatures and it can now block.

Madcap skills is granting the ability to whatever is enchanted. So that 1/1 frog with a +1/+1 counter on it still hits for 5

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
In other news, there appears to be a fog running through the GP Boston convention center (or wherever they are), because the quality on the stream right now is BAD.

edit- Ensoul Artifact'd Ornithopter on stream.

Got Abrupt Decay'd

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

GonSmithe posted:

In other news, there appears to be a fog running through the GP Boston convention center (or wherever they are), because the quality on the stream right now is BAD.

edit- Ensoul Artifact'd Ornithopter on stream.

Got Abrupt Decay'd

Yeah, very annoying.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

:siren: Ensouled Ornithopter being played by a pro tour champ :siren:

WotC stream looks like its being filmed with a camera from a decade ago.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Meanwhile on SCG, we got another G/B Devotion mirror match. Can't believe I'm thinking of watching the Wizards one. Can I have a link to it?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Meanwhile on SCG, we got another G/B Devotion mirror match. Can't believe I'm thinking of watching the Wizards one. Can I have a link to it?

I mean its a replay until the live feed comes back in 10 minutes u:

Sep 13, 2007

Ramos posted:

It's a replay of the first game. When they take breaks they replay old matches from the day, you can tell from the top right on the stream.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's fitting that the camera is so lovely in a lovely garbage state.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Its still a 5/2 that cannot be blocked except by two or more creatures and it can now block.

Madcap skills is granting the ability to whatever is enchanted. So that 1/1 frog with a +1/+1 counter on it still hits for 5

This is what I thought, though maybe it's not so clear. Was the lethal swing for me so I hope it was right.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Got into the Magic panel and talked a little to one of the designers outside. (It hasn't started yet). Apparently it was a pain to get even Wrath of God into Annihilation because there's now an internal issue with the word "God" on a card. The Heliod thing was a compromise to get it in with that name.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I mean its a replay until the live feed comes back in 10 minutes u:

Oraculum Animi posted:

It's a replay of the first game. When they take breaks they replay old matches from the day, you can tell from the top right on the stream.

I am dumb, thank you for letting me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

It's fitting that the camera is so lovely in a lovely garbage state.

I have a name for where the GP is taking place.

Boston Massivetwoshits.

I would know about lovely places to live. I live in New Jersey :haw:

• Locked thread