Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Plato disliked books and thought they made people stupid, so he'd have totally loved the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Harime Nui posted:

When I think about how our modern ideas of time developed around the needs and basis of agricultural production I realize it is too late, my mind has been immutably altered by the relentless assault of the cornocracy, and I grip my scythe and weep

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Harime Nui posted:

Plato wrote fanfiction of real life where his favorite teacher parroted all his pet views and owned the Athenians who probably owned Plato irl lol

actually it was the cyrenians who owned plato irl

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, I know, I reserve the right to be a misogynist prick after waving the banner for trans rights - it's only fair.:wink:

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
even death must bow to agri-Culture, as he can not cease his reaping

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The only thing worse than having a bunch of rich fucks run the Earth would be turning it over to a bunch of autistic techies.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

are techies out yet

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
what's'appin'in

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
idgaf about any of this techie vs progressive crap when oculus rift comes out im living in anime saying goodbye real world.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

EA Sports posted:

idgaf about any of this techie vs progressive crap when oculus rift comes out im living in anime saying goodbye real world.

So ronery.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
techies' persecution complexes are justified in that, given the chance, i would literally exterminate them

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

When I think about how our modern ideas of time developed around the needs and basis of agricultural production I realize it is too late, my mind has been immutably altered by the relentless assault of the cornocracy, and I grip my scythe and weep

Dec 26, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

you are on fire this thread

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
*hacks the planet*

Nog
May 15, 2006

how the gently caress did this thread make it to 27 pages already? did justine tranny show up and start posting at some point?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Prodigal T-REX posted:

even death must bow to agri-Culture, as he can not cease his reaping

I kneel to no man or sperg

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah Athens sure did own plato *is the primary reason ancient athens matters at all*

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

I would buy if my debit wasn't maxed out

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

are techies out yet

death to mmrxists

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

First Bass posted:

sorry about your caste, underling

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Harime Nui posted:

against all odds someone came out of this thread a winner

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

First Bass posted:

Some of us aren't born to be captains of industry. And by "some of us" I mean "you proles."

sohottahere
Jul 25, 2014

by Lowtax

First Bass posted:

lol, you're the dumb as bricks guy xhe was talking about

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ripped0ff posted:

how the gently caress did this thread make it to 27 pages already? did justine tranny show up and start posting at some point?

No, she tweeted

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

is it trans phobic to wear transitions glasses

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i think it would be more transphobic to not wear transition glasses

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

what if I wanted to be ironic trans phobic

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
you might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
At the end of the game the king and the pawn go in the same box.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
At least until genetic engineering and robotics make for immortal rich assholes. Then we're proper hosed.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
so if techies are the aristocracy of this new world order what does that make your vanilla millionaires/billionaires? wouldn't captains of industry and their idiot offspring > dynastic warrior kings and their idiot offspring, anyways?

fun fact: king alfred in old english was Ælfrēd, or "elf's council" :gay:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

First Bass posted:

so if techies are the aristocracy of this new world order what does that make your vanilla millionaires/billionaires? wouldn't captains of industry and their idiot offspring > dynastic warrior kings and their idiot offspring, anyways?

fun fact: king alfred in old english was Ælfrēd, or "elf's council" :gay:

Stockbrokers and oil kingpins are parasites incapable of fending for themselves without a vast cushion of money, unlike the people who update Farmville

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
1. be fit and healthy,
2. know how to ride a horse
3. apocalypse/oil crisis
4. now i'm the king, or at least a minor lord
5. slay the techie serfs

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
How would the techies even become aristocrats? They don't have any guns, they don't control the economy, they don't even have a religious following. How would a bunch of Google Engineers take down the United State Armed Forces? 3D Printed Guns and Google Glasses won't do anything when a flight of B-52s carpet bombs Silicon Valley.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pinely posted:

How would the techies even become aristocrats? They don't have any guns, they don't control the economy, they don't even have a religious following. How would a bunch of Google Engineers take down the United State Armed Forces? 3D Printed Guns and Google Glasses won't do anything when a flight of B-52s carpet bombs Silicon Valley.

They would automically get promoted to positions of power based on their software and engineering skills since they smarter than the Warren Buffets of the world.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Pinely posted:

The ascended God Machine will grant them immortality and immeasurable wealth for reasons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GET MY BELT SON posted:

what if I wanted to be ironic trans phobic

Are you tucking your junk while you wear them?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

RobattoJesus posted:

Plato disliked books and thought they made people stupid, so he'd have totally loved the internet.

That's a funny thing to say, because Plato wrote books and thought proper education was essential. It is more accurate to say he thought bad influences were a major cause of societal mental health problems and should be removed or at least limited to those with the wisdom to handle them properly. Needless to say I think he would be skeptical about the Internet's influence on the public.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
"internet is for fags" says plato

world of warcraft reels, shaken to its foundations

"i don't know if i can go on doing this day in day out" - dark elf wizard level 99

rash of suicides sweeps digital landscape

"go back to korea you junky"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nomadologique posted:

"internet is for fags" says plato

world of warcraft reels, shaken to its foundations

"i don't know if i can go on doing this day in day out" - dark elf wizard level 99

rash of suicides sweeps digital landscape

"go back to korea you junky"

"This is simply separating wheat from the chaff, in my new aristocratic regime!" -what Justine would absolutely 100% literally say to this.

• Locked thread