Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there a way to have a fast forward button mapped to a controller when playing it emulated? That could seriously speed things up.

Dragon Quest 8 is listed as "Playable" in PCSX2, and if your computer is powerful enough you'll probably be able to get it to run faster than real-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest 8 is listed as "Playable" in PCSX2, and if your computer is powerful enough you'll probably be able to get it to run faster than real-time.

It works pretty well, I've had no problems at all so far except a couple weird graphical oddities (a weird square around the coffin if you are hauling a dead guy around, some weirdness during cutscenes, etc), but nothing debilitating. Speedup hotkey works fine for me as well.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

And you've mapped it to a controller? My intention is to play this using an Xbox controller with a laptop hooked up to my TV.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, PCSX2 lets you map a USB controller to the controls. I don't think there's any emulation software under the sun that doesn't let you do that.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cool - I meant specifically the speedup button being mapped to something on the controller to do away with combat animations and so on. :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That loving Sned posted:

This, definitely. It's also one of the only games where you start off with four characters, three of which can be any class you choose. You can change their jobs later and carry over some of their stats and all of their spells, or create as many characters as you want and keep them in reserve at the tavern.

If that sounds a bit overwhelming, the default three they give you are pretty much perfect for a beginner. In any case, with four party members and a bunch of useful spells from the moment you leave the first town, you won't need to be hitting slimes for a while just to afford a slightly bigger stick.

If you start with DQ3 and want to make your own team, here's a class breakdown:

Soldier - High hp/atk/def, slow as hell. Overall your best (non-hero) attacker.
Fighter - Decent HP, high str/agi, crits a bit more than other classes. Less damage than soldier but they'll be one of the first to act each round.
Pilgrim - Healing/Support class (cleric). If you were to pick between a Pilgrim or Wizard for your 3 companions, take a Pilgrim.
Wizard - Fragile offensive class. Handy to have but I only tend to use one over Merchant/Fighter. Bikill is picked up around level 21-22 and doubles attack power, which is great.
Merchant - Average stats, has a few novel uses like finding more gold after a fight ends, but really they aren't a good class to use through the game. Probably the worst class to use as a permanent companion.
Goofoff - Massive amounts of luck, average/poor everything else. Does random things in combat (many of them useless). Though ultimately they are extremely useful because they can become a Sage without requiring the Book of Satori. When I stumbled across that as a kid (in the early 90s, the dark days before the internet) it made my day.
Thief - I haven't used these much but they have high agility and I believe they might increase drop rates after fights (they do in DQ6 at any rate).
Sage - AKA The Best Class. Gets all Pilgrim and Wizard magic, gains int/mp like a wizard, hp/vit/agi like a pilgrim, or close to it. Basically a combination of all good parts of pilgrim/wizard. Can be acquired by class changing if you have a book of satori or the character is a Goofoff.

When you change classes you keep any spells the character had, and their stats are cut in half. First time I played through the game I had a soldier with some pilgrim spells, which was handy but not vital. Sages can make that a bit pointless though.

Dress Code Force posted:

I'm a little late on the DQ9 harping, but I have to admit that I really dug it for a reason that I didn't see mentioned in my brief skimming of the past few pages:

You can play the entire game in co-op. :aaaaa:

When I first played it around release I thought it was kinda enjoyable and charming for what it was, but set it aside as college tends to kinda suck things from things. Two years later I'm in Germany with my then-girlfriend who picked it up as a result of a Dragon Quest kick, she's en route to fight the Wight Night, and I boot up my copy to try the multiplayer out.

As it turns out, your Man can replace one of the host's party members and wander around independently of the main party, helping in combat as you please, or even just starting combat in an entirely separate area. It basically turns the entire game into a tiny 4-player MMO, which is how I was able to even remotely tolerate the post-game Grotto extravaganza :downs:

Yeah DQ9 implemented the kind of RPG co-op I'd wanted to see ever since I was a kid(specifically, for stuff like FF^'s multiparty areas), and after I played through the game I replayed it on co-op with someone who'd just picked it up. I had run around around without gear for awhile because just the passives I had on my character made them stronger as a level 1 sage than a new player in the 15-20 range.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I'll take a crack at it, then. Thanks a lot, Bongo Bill.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think I would've got through 8 without doubling the speed in battle and on the world map. I like the game but it's looooong and the animations take forever. Plus if you emulate it with a good enough system you can render it at 2x or 4x the resolution which looks amazing even if it does screw up some of the text.

BadAstronaut posted:

Cool - I meant specifically the speedup button being mapped to something on the controller to do away with combat animations and so on. :)

I just googled it and it doesn't seem possible to map frameskip to a joypad button. But F4 will turn it on and off so you could probably just hit it when you need to if you keep your computer out. Also late in the game when you need to chase the big birds shadow and at any of the sepia toned falshbacks you need to activate software rendering in order for it to show the scenes or the shadow.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I just googled it and it doesn't seem possible to map frameskip to a joypad button. But F4 will turn it on and off so you could probably just hit it when you need to if you keep your computer out. Also late in the game when you need to chase the big birds shadow and at any of the sepia toned falshbacks you need to activate software rendering in order for it to show the scenes or the shadow.

Just use Joy2Key to map F4 to an unused button/trigger.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Loaded up 7. Got to the first Island. Got to the tower. Game closed and even though I swore I did a save state...its back to before I even unlock the first isle. The beginning to 7 is easily the worst/longest. I don't want to do that again. Maybe next year unless someone throws me a save.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
While I was at home recovering from the hospital I finished the original Dragon Warrior on NES. I have never played any of the other games but I'm glad I can finally say I've cleared a classic RPG, although Starwyverns can gently caress right off, constantly healing themselves back up like 5 times in a row. I assume if you tell the Dragonlord you will stand with him he just kills you?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

URL grey tea posted:

While I was at home recovering from the hospital I finished the original Dragon Warrior on NES. I have never played any of the other games but I'm glad I can finally say I've cleared a classic RPG, although Starwyverns can gently caress right off, constantly healing themselves back up like 5 times in a row. I assume if you tell the Dragonlord you will stand with him he just kills you?

It results in a game over, but he actually does make you his subordinate.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Loaded up 7. Got to the first Island. Got to the tower. Game closed and even though I swore I did a save state...its back to before I even unlock the first isle. The beginning to 7 is easily the worst/longest. I don't want to do that again. Maybe next year unless someone throws me a save.

I've also lost progress by answering no to a priest twice, which kicks you out of the game without saving your progress. The start to DQVII does absolutely suck, and it would be so much better if there was even a little bit of combat to keep you engaged.

Bongo Bill posted:

I thought that you woke up in the inn at the first town, and it was all a nightmare? I remember that happening in the GBC version at least. There's also bonus dialogue if you forget to rescue the princess, or defeat the final boss while still carrying her.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 25, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I finished DQ2 SNES today, I think this might be the first time I've played any version of the game in at least a decade. Looking back, I have no clue how I beat the NES original as an 8 year old, considering that the SNES version is gentler and I still ended up resorting to save state abuse to get through Hargon's castle.

I enjoyed most of the game, but around the sea cave it starts to get unnecessarily hard and once you get about halfway through the Cave to Rhone it becomes a complete slog that exists only to torture you with random bullshit deaths. The long walk to Hargon's Castle followed by 3 mini-bosses and 2 hard boss fights is just cruel, requiring either a long string of really good RNG rolls or being incredibly over-leveled.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

That loving Sned posted:

I thought that you woke up in the inn at the first town, and it was all a nightmare? I remember that happening in the GBC version at least. There's also bonus dialogue if you forget to rescue the princess, or defeat the final boss while still carrying her.

In the original NES version it actually freezes the game, correct?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Adam Bowen posted:

I finished DQ2 SNES today, I think this might be the first time I've played any version of the game in at least a decade. Looking back, I have no clue how I beat the NES original as an 8 year old, considering that the SNES version is gentler and I still ended up resorting to save state abuse to get through Hargon's castle.

I enjoyed most of the game, but around the sea cave it starts to get unnecessarily hard and once you get about halfway through the Cave to Rhone it becomes a complete slog that exists only to torture you with random bullshit deaths. The long walk to Hargon's Castle followed by 3 mini-bosses and 2 hard boss fights is just cruel, requiring either a long string of really good RNG rolls or being incredibly over-leveled.

I had relatively good luck with the Cave to Rhone; I think that I only had one or two wipes and I had to retreat due to diminished MP and health a few times too, but that includes hunting up all of the treasure boxes as well. Rather telling that my experience, with all of that, was more smooth than most.

Hargon's castle I was modestly overlevelled for, and I was able to just barely take down all of this lieutenants before I had to leave, rest up, and come back. I did get Hargon on the first try, though.

They key to both segments was having a Shield of Strength for all three party members (you don't need to equip it to use it) and constantly using free Healmore in battle. That can be done in DWIII as well, but it's not basically a necessity like in II and the Sage's Stone, which admittedly doesn't show up until right before the end, makes it largely obsolete.

I'm looking forward to playing the SNES remake someday because it seems so much more balanced, especially the prince. He gets some decent weapon options in the remakes, but in the NES original he is useless in melee. Hell, even the princess gets a serious buff... her best weapon, the Staff of Thunder, goes from 15 Atk to 45. Still doesn't beat just spamming Infernos, though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Whats the best way to try this last one out? Avoid picking up the princess until you're ready to fight the Dragonlord? Is it only the GBC version or is there something in the NES release as well?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

:stare: This is an actual thing?

Camel Pimp posted:

In the original NES version it actually freezes the game, correct?

This would be sad if true. Otherwise i'd try the hell out of this.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Bongo Bill posted:

Gwaelin> "But thou must! Wait, you did WHAT?! Thou art hosed up!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whenever I replay Dragon Quest 1, I always beat Dragonlord while carrying the princess. It's the best way.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Whenever I replay Dragon Quest 1, I always beat Dragonlord while carrying the princess. It's the best way.

Carrying the princess prevents you from saving since you can't go back to the king, right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Carrying the princess prevents you from saving since you can't go back to the king, right?

Right, but luckily the game's short.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

Right, but luckily the game's short.

And you don't really even need to grab her before you go to the Dragonlord if you can find the Token in the swamp without using Gwaelin's Love.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Bongo Bill posted:

I never knew about this and I am absolutely doing it my next playthrough. The whole princess thing is optional and you can avoid fighting her captor as long as you like, so it wouldn't be hard if you are patient. You don't really need the item she gives since the thing you find with it never moves.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

JustJeff88 posted:

I had relatively good luck with the Cave to Rhone; I think that I only had one or two wipes and I had to retreat due to diminished MP and health a few times too, but that includes hunting up all of the treasure boxes as well. Rather telling that my experience, with all of that, was more smooth than most.

Hargon's castle I was modestly overlevelled for, and I was able to just barely take down all of this lieutenants before I had to leave, rest up, and come back. I did get Hargon on the first try, though.

They key to both segments was having a Shield of Strength for all three party members (you don't need to equip it to use it) and constantly using free Healmore in battle. That can be done in DWIII as well, but it's not basically a necessity like in II and the Sage's Stone, which admittedly doesn't show up until right before the end, makes it largely obsolete.

I'm looking forward to playing the SNES remake someday because it seems so much more balanced, especially the prince. He gets some decent weapon options in the remakes, but in the NES original he is useless in melee. Hell, even the princess gets a serious buff... her best weapon, the Staff of Thunder, goes from 15 Atk to 45. Still doesn't beat just spamming Infernos, though.

Don't the 3 mini-bosses respawn if you leave the castle? I would have sworn that was the case, if they don't that makes it slightly less painful.

I used a map to get through the Cave to Rhone and I can't imagine what it would be like to navigate all those pits and that last floor without one. I don't see how anyone would ever find the Thunder Sword in particular without knowing where to look for that pit. I think Nintendo Power must have printed some maps back in the day or I never would have made it through there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Imagine trying to get through Baramos's castle without any help. DQ3 came with a full-on walkthrough that only excluded 'secrets' like how to get multiple sages.

Going through Baramos's castle via trial and error would've taken hours if you weren't lucky. When I did a replay on the SNES I got through without a map but I still remembered most of the path and was running Soldier/Sage/Sage as well as had all of the Panchinko board rewards at the time so my team was strong as hell and able to murder things pretty effectively.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Yes, agreeing to join the Dragonlord in DQ1 turns the text red and freezes the nes game in place. I remember from when I foolishly did it at the age of 10.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SmockJoc posted:

Yes, agreeing to join the Dragonlord in DQ1 turns the text red and freezes the nes game in place. I remember from when I foolishly did it at the age of 10.

Foolishly? You gained ultimate power!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Potsticker posted:

Foolishly? You gained ultimate power!
And you rule over half the world!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SmockJoc posted:

Thy journey is over. Take now a long, long rest. Hahahaha....

I also like how it sets your GP and XP to 0 right before locking up with all the text in dark red.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You make out pretty good I think.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

One of the best parts of III is where you get made Queen/King. It's just too bad there is so little to do as reagent.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Soon, the city will be mine and the Dragonlord's... mainly the Dragonlord's.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's like five towns and one castle. It's only slightly better than ruling over a pond.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Potsticker posted:

One of the best parts of III is where you get made Queen/King. It's just too bad there is so little to do as reagent.

Regent. I only clarify because a game where you became a reagent would be extremely interesting. Like a cross between Valkyrie Profile and the Atelier games. "Train your character, then use them in dark alkhemies!"

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

John Lee posted:

Regent. I only clarify because a game where you became a reagent would be extremely interesting. Like a cross between Valkyrie Profile and the Atelier games. "Train your character, then use them in dark alkhemies!"

So, pretty much the DS Valkyrie Profile.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

John Lee posted:

Daaaangit. Yeah, regent. That description sounds like something you'd do in a Disgaea game. Level up characters and then turn them into ingredients to make rad potions!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Adam Bowen posted:

Don't the 3 mini-bosses respawn if you leave the castle? I would have sworn that was the case, if they don't that makes it slightly less painful.

I used a map to get through the Cave to Rhone and I can't imagine what it would be like to navigate all those pits and that last floor without one. I don't see how anyone would ever find the Thunder Sword in particular without knowing where to look for that pit. I think Nintendo Power must have printed some maps back in the day or I never would have made it through there.

No, they did not - good thing too because, as so many other enemies, they had a lot of bullshit attacks that kill you outright. The only ways to raise the dead in the game are the Leaf, of which you can only carry one, and the Prince of Cannock's spell, which doesn't work in combat if I recall correctly... not that he has poo poo for MP anyway. In the remakes, they gave the princess a raise dead spell too, thankfully, among other balance changes.

I also used maps like crazy in the Cave to Rhone; I don't hate myself enough to not.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Daaaangit. Yeah, regent. That description sounds like something you'd do in a Disgaea game. Level up characters and then turn them into ingredients to make rad potions!

I would be down for an RPG where all you do is lounge around a castle all day sending would-be adventurers to their deaths, out on quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Vakal posted:

I would be down for an RPG where all you do is lounge around a castle all day sending would-be adventurers to their deaths, out on quests.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King is basically this, with a city-building focus. I enjoyed the hell out of it when it first came out.