Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Paid RockAuto 300 in parts and a shop 400 in labor to replace the Miata's AC compressor, expansion valve, and dryer. They definitely earned their money, I just feel powerless when there's an expensive job like this I can't really do myself. Throwing away an expensive nonservicable part when a lovely rubber seal fails also bugs me.

Did replace the fuel filler neck and vent hoses in the trunk and fixed the gas smell.

For $400 you could have bought a vacuum pump, a manifold gauge set, a variety pack of o-rings and all the consumables you needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

For $400 you could have bought a vacuum pump, a manifold gauge set, a variety pack of o-rings and all the consumables you needed.

True, although there's still the risk of loving it up and getting frostbite, which makes me pretty gunshy after nearly losing a significant part of my hand a while back. Anyways, expensive hobby, blah blah blah.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chriskory posted:

I/H/E S2000 dyno for comparison

What's with that weird kink right at around 4k rpm? VTECH crossover should be seen at around 5-6k ish on a stock AP1 no? Chart just looks like something funky is going on.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Crosspost from my thread. Im putting a T5 in the C10

So the 283 came out today

I have this adapter

For this transmission

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I replaced the starter and changed the oil in my Camry today, after it rolling over 190k miles last week. Starter wasn't too bad until I realized one of the bolts holding it in is under and behind the wiring harness, so I had to take off the battery and cram a socket and extension in there.

Still, only $95 for the starter and $12 for 3 hours of lift use is way better than paying a shop to do it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Deeters posted:

so I had to take off the battery and cram a socket and extension in there.

That's smart since the positive terminal on most starters is always hot.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

FatCow posted:

That's smart since the positive terminal on most starters is always hot.

By the time I got to that point I had already disconnected the positive terminal on the starter. I unhooked the battery's negative terminal before I started though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Fixed the knock in the rear suspension, and did some fabrication that I can't really talk about for reasons :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Fixed the knock in the rear suspension, and did some fabrication that I can't really talk about for reasons :(

We demand pictures of your redneck engineering.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I have the feeling it's Australian regulation reasons.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Washed clayed waxed tire shine plus replaced a leaking rad cap.

Looks just like an unmarked NJ State Police cruiser (easy to spot because they have blackout tints on all of their units).

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
What some useless piece of poo poo did to my ride today:

No note, of course, so it's going to cost me a $1500 insurance excess to undo the damage caused by this pig fucker..

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Some Forester parts fit in Imprezas. Junkyard find score. I think I left the ambient air temperature sensor in the parking lot of an O'Reilly's by accident.

speed++
class++++++++++

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

I have the feeling it's Australian regulation reasons.

Pretty much yes. Such a shame too as it was a pretty straightforward mini project which had the side effect of correcting some really nasty issues. Plus I used ungraded bolts for the test fit and people would have a shitfit about it. The store I buy my bolts from has stopped opening on the weekend. What can I say. I'm getting the right ones on Monday.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wounded Unicorn posted:

Some Forester parts fit in Imprezas. Junkyard find score. I think I left the ambient air temperature sensor in the parking lot of an O'Reilly's by accident.

speed++
class++++++++++

Post a picture of your pants.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love that Forester gauge pod. I think djcommie is still holding onto his for me, but it's in imperial units.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Removed a few pieces to get to the parking brake cables:

The ends are visible at the peak of the drive shaft tunnel, just in front of the diff:

Old vs New:

As you can probably imagine, I'm currently working out some clearance issues between the new drive shaft and exhaust pipes. I have to relocate at least one of the hangers and possibly have to cut the bracing between the pipes to re-position them individually.
Hooray for combining aftermarket parts! :shepicide:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 27, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My brakes are being annoying, but they are fairly new. Is there any way I can maybe stop them from scratching on the rotor? (They start making extremely loud noises after long drives)
I was going to just wait since a mechanic friend of a friend who was riding with us said its fine, but its just so unnerving for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wfl6yk90R_Y

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 27, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love that Forester gauge pod. I think djcommie is still holding onto his for me, but it's in imperial units.

Aha, that explains why he never responded to my email about buying that piece off him.

That's a nice find, Wounded Unicorn, looks great.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Any idea why they went for that weird two section design for the original? Looking at the anatomy there besides the transmission and diff shifting around a little in their mounts the shaft wouldn't really have to move at all, would it?
I just woke up so terminology is failing me sorry.
No matter what to me that nice single piece one > that thin jointed one any day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Aha, that explains why he never responded to my email about buying that piece off him.
Hell, if you get there first, I don't mind. I think he's holding onto other crap for me too, I can always find a gauge pack in one of the JDM Foresters that are starting to clog up our roads.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Washed it for the first time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Drained the water from the radiator that I put in to make sure my new hoses and core werent leaking and replaced with coolant.

dropped the oil as well and refilled. Apparently went through about a litre since the last change (march) :stare:

might have to look at replacing some seals.

EDIT: Also noticed my power steering belts. Yes, belts. So that should be swapped out soon.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 28, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did my first DIY trans fluid change ever in the Jetta. It would have been a smooth hour and a half except that I had a pop-up shower blow through for an hour once I had the pan stopped, then when I went to torque the pan cover back down I snapped one of the bolts. At least it was on reinsertion and I could easily take pliers and back it out. One trip to lowes later and I had a suitable replacement.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Laserface posted:

EDIT: Also noticed my power steering belts. Yes, belts. So that should be swapped out soon.

Redundancy! :pseudo:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Filled up the fuel and added it to MyCars as I have been so diligently been doing. 25L/100km. What??? How is this even possible without leaving a thick cloud in its wake?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Bajaha posted:

What's with that weird kink right at around 4k rpm? VTECH crossover should be seen at around 5-6k ish on a stock AP1 no? Chart just looks like something funky is going on.
I don't think he was happy with the numbers, but it's V-AFC lowering the engagement point.

I registered for a track day, then checked the car over again the night before. When rotating tires I noticed a front passenger wheel full of axle grease.

Thankfully Autozone had an axle stock. It went very smoothly, maybe 15 minutes to change the axle and another 45 minutes to clean up all the grease.

Lapping day went well, managing a 2:18 at High Plains Raceway, and completely burning through front factory pads in about 4 hours.

Tires held up well however

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Put MR2 rear struts into the front of my E30. Required a ghetto lathe to cut 1mm off of the shock to get it through my strut bearing and a ~2" spacer to make up the space in my strut housing. I've got the Ground Control setup in the front but I haven't cut the housings yet.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

Removed a few pieces to get to the parking brake cables:

The ends are visible at the peak of the drive shaft tunnel, just in front of the diff:

Old vs New:

As you can probably imagine, I'm currently working out some clearance issues between the new drive shaft and exhaust pipes. I have to relocate at least one of the hangers and possibly have to cut the bracing between the pipes to re-position them individually.
Hooray for combining aftermarket parts! :shepicide:

Not trying to be a stalker. But do you live in the Lyons/Brookfield area. Because I see a goat over there that matches yours ALOT.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Got some groceries with my grocery getter:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did some work on my brother's first gen MS3 (I have custodial possession of it by virtue of being the only one in the family with a garage while he's deployed in Korea), set out to change his oil but ended up finding one of the rear caliper brackets dropped a bolt and was allowing the bracket to slip and ride on the rotor when the brakes were applied.

Then I went hunting for a clunk in the rear end...removed the driver side strut and tightened the top mount. It's better...only clunks over major bumps now instead of every minor inconsistency in the road. They're probably blown and my brother isn't exactly chomping at the bit to spend a few hundred on the set of koni yellows he wants when he has 11 months left on his deployment.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

General_Failure posted:

Any idea why they went for that weird two section design for the original? Looking at the anatomy there besides the transmission and diff shifting around a little in their mounts the shaft wouldn't really have to move at all, would it?
I just woke up so terminology is failing me sorry.
No matter what to me that nice single piece one > that thin jointed one any day.

I don't understand it either, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Combined with the new exhaust, there is a noticeable difference in throttle response as well as much smoother acceleration, and I LOVE IT. :getin:

SouthsideSaint posted:

Not trying to be a stalker. But do you live in the Lyons/Brookfield area. Because I see a goat over there that matches yours A LOT.

I live out near Itasca and my work is in the Hillside/Westchester area. Probably not me.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

I live out near Itasca and my work is in the Hillside/Westchester area. Probably not me.

yeah I saw it again yesterday and its the newer? body style. and the rims are defenitley different.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Ordered a replacement wheel... The chemicals I had been using to wash my wheels were wayyy too harsh and a chunk of the original finish just sloughed off a few weeks ago. I'm getting tires very soon, and it would suck to mount balance and align on a wheel that needs replacing.

Old one will just serve as a spare I suppose.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Figured out the cause of the front end knock on the clio, one of the anti-roll bar links decided it didn't want to be attached to the wishbone anymore.
Replaced both of them as the other side didn't look too far behind the one that failed in terms of rust and wear.

Also on monday i pulled another nail out of my tyre and patched it up after driving on a (mostly) flat for a couple days wondering what was wrong with the steering. :downs:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BMW:

Changed plugs.

Patched bumper that was mangled by foot deep ruts last winter. I started with one of those bumper repair kits, but there was just too much tension for any adheisve to have a chance. I was even weary of zip ties.

Lincoln:

Started syphoning the 40 year old jank looking gear oil out of the rear diff.

1 hour in, this is what it looks like. The oil is halfway between 140 weight and moly grease. A rear end rebuild with a limited slip or locker is on the list, so i'm not too worried about it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Update:

Haven't seen evap complete in nearly 2 years. We've managed to just barely sneak it through smog every year (they allow 1 incomplete, I think).

What's a little concerning is the long term fuel trim for one bank is at 13%, while the other is 7%. Then again, one of the primary O2 sensors has about 1 year on it, while the other is original. I may swap the original one soon (it's easier than yanking the intake manifold anyway).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 31, 2014

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Tried spraying and rinsing this wheel cleaner "Sonax Full Effect"

Not really all that dirty to begin with. But I'm doing it anyway.

Looks like a loving crime scene...

Pretty decent improvement... I did not do ANY hands-on scrubbing just spray on, wait 5 minutes, blast off with hose. I do think that the chemical reaction where the cleaner changes color as it "bonds to iron particles/contaminants," the second pic down, is a bit of a gimmick to be honest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Sonax stuff works really well but it's brutally expensive. Here's my picture of spraying it onto a wheel with a stuck caliper again:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Sonax stuff works really well but it's brutally expensive. Here's my picture of spraying it onto a wheel with a stuck caliper again:

Very true. I am kind of kicking myself for not getting into it and scrubbing the wheels on this application given that it's so precious and there's not much in the bottle to begin with.