Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh good, that only took 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Atomic trains seem almost plausible.

Could you post a higher resolution shot of that, or a link to the article? I'm interested in reading more about it, but the mobile app won't give me a clear shot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Plus building expensive ships goes against many international shipping lines' business model. There's a reason China's the world's shipbuilding capital these days.

The reason being that China's shipbuilders are state-funded and don't need to turn a profit. Same as when Korea and Japan dominated the shipbuilding industry. People have short memories. The Chinese shipbuilding industry's infinite line of credit will dry up one day just like it did for Korean and Japanese shipyards.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Could you post a higher resolution shot of that, or a link to the article? I'm interested in reading more about it, but the mobile app won't give me a clear shot.

linky

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Arglebargle III posted:

The reason being that China's shipbuilders are state-funded and don't need to turn a profit. Same as when Korea and Japan dominated the shipbuilding industry. People have short memories. The Chinese shipbuilding industry's infinite line of credit will dry up one day just like it did for Korean and Japanese shipyards.

And the shipping industry will move on to building their hulls wherever it's now cheapest to do so.

Shipping lines don't give a poo poo how good the ship is, or whether the yard made a profit. The idea is to get it built for cheap, run it at break even or a profit until the market picks up, then flip it once the market is too high or about to start coming down.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

Atomic, everlasting train

Hrmm....

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Outside Dawg posted:

If you have Netflix or Amazon video, you should check out "Chosin".

Gonna throw in a strong recommendation again for "The Cold War", by the same producers as the excellent "The World at War", the Korea episode in that was informative, and when you watch the thing in series you get a good feel for the politics behind it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mlmp08 posted:

Hrmm....

The joke's on them, with the reactor in the middle there's no way they are going to get to engineer Ed Harris

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I like how the future of rail transport pretty much looked like an EMD E-unit on the outside.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

iyaayas01 posted:

That's one of the cool things about newer munitions like JDAMs that often gets overlooked, modularity/plug and play is built into the system (sort of). So while the aircraft still needs to be able to a) have the airplane's SMS recognize the munitions and b) physically carry the munition, the first is "just" a software problem with the airplane's OFP while the second is just a geometry and weight problem that honestly isn't too much of a problem with most modern munitions as long as you aren't trying to do something outlandish like shoehorn a JASSM onto a Reaper. The biggest issue historically (compatibility for communicating between the munition and the aircraft) isn't a problem because it's all standardized on a 1760 interface.

Another advantage of this is that it significantly reduces the amount of support equipment required for maintaining/testing the munitions. It used to be that each munition needed it's own individual test set, and they were often heavy bulky systems consisting of numerous items. The new heat in test sets (the CMBRE) is capable of testing all JDAM tail-kits (to include WCMDs), SDBs, JASSMs, AIM-120s, AIM-9Xs, and probably a couple of other munitions I'm forgetting. So instead of a whole bunch of different individualized test sets for each type of munition, I can standardize on one for basically an entire munitions stockpile.

This kind of easy plug-and-play compatibility isn't strictly a new thing, either. There's a reason Sidewinders have ended up on practically everything that flies and fights.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Railroads discovered that they tended to not like running high-power locomotives singly on big trains, because if the locomotive doesn't work, the train isn't going anywhere. Maybe put two of these back to back, but if you could buy four regular diesels for its price, well...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

Railroads discovered that they tended to not like running high-power locomotives singly on big trains, because if the locomotive doesn't work, the train isn't going anywhere. Maybe put two of these back to back, but if you could buy four regular diesels for its price, well...

Not to mention in the event of a derailing, all you have to do on current trains is worry about the cargo and a potential HAZMAT situation. With these, even if the reactor vessel never was compromised, every little accident would be treated like the end of the world.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

This kind of easy plug-and-play compatibility isn't strictly a new thing, either. There's a reason Sidewinders have ended up on practically everything that flies and fights.

That's like saying "computers talking to each other isn't strictly a new thing, either" around 1991.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
There is a local small Airshow today in Cincinnati. They have a B-17 that you can take a ride on. I am sure its not cheap to take a ride. But I would love to do it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

_firehawk posted:

There is a local small Airshow today in Cincinnati. They have a B-17 that you can take a ride on. I am sure its not cheap to take a ride. But I would love to do it.

If you have the money, and won't affect the lives of the people who you may support, go for it. That's definitely a bucket-list entry.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

_firehawk posted:

It cost me ~$400 in 2011, and it was worth it.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768&userid=58669#post397774152

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Arglebargle III posted:

Eh, it's also that Chinese shipbuilding is a tool of Chinese foreign policy and trade policy. For instance, in Africa, where China is making a major push for infrastructure development contracts and such. Ethiopian Logistics and Shipping Enterprise (the state-run shipping entity) was convinced to buy 9 new freighters from China despite the fact that their inland logistics cannot handle the load they have existing due to lack of trucks available and delays in the ports. Basically they're buying freighters they can't really do anything with (doubly so since they're a landlocked country. These freighters have to go to Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, or Djibouti). In exchange for this, China gives them incredibly concessional financing rates that are basically money-losing on things like road development, bridge construction, etc. The private contractors (and sometimes state-run) that go out and do this are entirely subsidized by the Chinese government: they don't care that they're losing immense amounts of money because they're getting it back from these lucrative ship construction contracts. Variations of this, they do across Africa -- it solves Chinese employment issues, gets them lucrative follow-on contracts, and has given them an immense amount of influence in the region at the expense of the West.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
While I agree with Leif.'s points (Especially regarding China's use of shipbuilding as a tool for domestic economic policy), let's all remember that we live in a world where Liberia is one of the top three countries for merchant tonnage.

How much tonnage a country owns as little to nothing to do with how much it imports / exports. See also the US merchant fleet and the Marshall Islands.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

http://giant.gfycat.com/DapperFeistyBullmastiff.webm

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 27, 2014

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

:dance: Airshow today! :dance:

JBER in Anchorage, AK

Right in the gate we got a B-52

Ohhhh F-22

So sexy

Oh poo poo! Is that a B2 Spirit?!

gently caress yeah it is!

F-15

F-16

These are from Eielson I think? We don't have F-16s in Anchorage

Some godless commie exhaust cover in these F-16s

F-22 Flyby with B2

F-22 Heritage flight with 2 P-51 Mustangs

F-16 Thunderbird

Thunderbirds doing their best B2 impersonation

I have more pictures of the Tbirds but I'm a terrible photographer and they were flying real fast so they were kinda blurry.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Space Gopher posted:

Sidewinders are the exception that proves the rule. It's an IR missile that needs no support from or communication with the aircraft beyond communicating tone to the pilot. That's rare when it comes to guided munitions, most are going to require some type of data exchange with the aircraft. And even with the Sidewinder, there are massive increases in functionality and performance with the datalink that the -9X gets.

And from a test set perspective AIM-9Ms and prior still require a relatively large/bulky unique test set, contrast that with the CMBRE the -9X requires.

Leif. posted:

(doubly so since they're a landlocked country. These freighters have to go to Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, or Djibouti)

Well there's always Eritrea too.

Oh wait

TheDon01 posted:

These are from Eielson I think? We don't have F-16s in Anchorage

Yeah they're the 18th AGRS up at Eielson, hence the exhaust cover.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

iyaayas01 posted:

Sidewinders are the exception that proves the rule. It's an IR missile that needs no support from or communication with the aircraft beyond communicating tone to the pilot. That's rare when it comes to guided munitions, most are going to require some type of data exchange with the aircraft. And even with the Sidewinder, there are massive increases in functionality and performance with the datalink that the -9X gets.

And from a test set perspective AIM-9Ms and prior still require a relatively large/bulky unique test set, contrast that with the CMBRE the -9X requires.

I think this has been posted here before, but the AIM-9X is crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

Atomic trains seem almost plausible.

Holy crap, was there anything they didn't try to slap a reactor to?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Saint Celestine posted:

Holy crap, was there anything they didn't try to slap a reactor to?

Jayne Mansfield.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got four things from being in the Air Force: a handful of awesome friends I'd have never met otherwise, an appreciation for closing down multiple bars in a night after working 12+ hours that day, the GI Bill, and a weird fuzzy feeling when I see pictures of a plane I've flown on. :)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheDon01 posted:

F-22 Heritage flight with 2 P-51 Mustangs

The F-22 can remain slow enough to fly in formation with P-51s? Neat.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah they're the 18th AGRS up at Eielson, hence the exhaust cover.

Is that some sort of snow/arctic camo? It's loving awesome whatever it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

uPen posted:

P-51s are pretty fast.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

uPen posted:

Not just P-51s!

This was at the Planes of Fame airshow in Chino, California.

I'm very jealous of TheDon for getting an active B-52, though.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Is that some sort of snow/arctic camo? It's loving awesome whatever it is.

That's an aggressor squadron, they pretend to be various flavors of MiG and Su. It's mostly to make them Russian-y.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Propagandalf posted:

That's an aggressor squadron, they pretend to be various flavors of MiG and Su. It's mostly to make them Russian-y.

That makes it even more awesome. I thought they looked sort of Russian-y but couldn't figure out why they would purposefully paint them that way, alas, this is the missing piece.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

What it is like to ride in a U2 Dragon Lady with James May https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

uPen posted:

Look at how high the F-22 nose is pointing though - it's trying to go as slow as possible whereas the P-51 dudes are probably firewalling it (and having more fun)

(this is a slight exaggeration; P-51s cruised at over 350 mph so it's not like the Raptor is in imminent danger of stalling out of the air)

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 27, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Psion posted:

Look at how high the F-22 nose is pointing though - it's trying to go as slow as possible whereas the P-51 dudes are probably firewalling it (and having more fun)

Looks like he has his flaps down a little bit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

I dig the hell out of this, that's awesome.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, the Mustang and Raptor probably have no problem flying together.

These guys did, though (not cold war, but certainly old school AIRPOWER):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

There's some technical stuff at the beginning if you're into that.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

movax posted:

I dig the hell out of this, that's awesome.

Click to embiggen

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, the Mustang and Raptor probably have no problem flying together.

These guys did, though (not cold war, but certainly old school AIRPOWER):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

There's some technical stuff at the beginning if you're into that.
I wonder what the Sopwith pilot's life insurance premiums are like.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

We did 'assist' in the security of USSR's arsenal when they fell, so there are parallels.

Can someone link any articles or talk about the US securing the Soviets nuclear arsenal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Can someone link any articles or talk about the US securing the Soviets nuclear arsenal?

I read a book about it called One Point Safe from the dollar general bargain bin so it's probably being given away on amazon.