Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
as far as bugs in language implementations or specifications goes...

my goal at my job right now is to finish the thing i'm currently working on so that I can deal with the following combination of facts before somebody goes and fucks up somebody's database by nonchalantly fixing a bug:

- the implementation has bugs and the specification has bugs (we change our mind about how things should work).
- secondary indexes can be defined over arbitrary functions.
- we need to support in-place upgrades, that don't require migrating entire database files.

this means that any bug fixes need a compatibility mode for running older versions of the functionality on older secondary indexes, until they can be migrated to the new behavior.

naturally there's unnecessarily large swaths of code infected by query-specific behavior and misbehavior, instead of that stuff being relegated to query-by-query code.

naturally i have a coworker that thinks for many issues it isn't a big deal to just break users' old databases and yes of course he's never worked on anything in production where you experience and make love to murphy's law but he read lesswrong.com which means that he can chain together some P(foo) with P(bar) and that's a valid counterargument because putting in a conditional for a version is just too much maintenance.

coworkers having opinions is p much the main reason i hate my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
shrughes i got the impression that despite being an rear end in a top hat you know your poo poo. why're you workin a job you hate

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

shrughes posted:

naturally i have a coworker that thinks for many issues it isn't a big deal to just break users' old databases and yes of course he's never worked on anything in production where you experience and make love to murphy's law but he read lesswrong.com which means that he can chain together some P(foo) with P(bar) and that's a valid counterargument because putting in a conditional for a version is just too much maintenance.

if he puts in a conditional the super intelligent AI at the end of time will torture a simulation of him forever

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
is it this coworker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pay7nWzLSks

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

what happened to the other half of his pedostache

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Squinty Applebottom posted:

what happened to the other half of his pedostache
daylight suppresses it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

brb going to the gym, eating a bunch of red meat, and getting a tan

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

shrughes posted:

coworkers having opinions is p much the main reason i hate my job.

maybe they only hired assholes

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
Just become project tech lead and tell your reports they're wrong

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

shrughes posted:

bring up roko's basilisk every time you see this person until he loses his mind

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

im the two people in the background chosen to be the representatives of what people in that company are like

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

AlsoD posted:

im the two people in the background chosen to be the representatives of what people in that company are like

I think they only have like six employees.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'd rather use Rethink over Mongo though

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
ahhhhh that motherfuckers facial hair

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my dad sells windows 98 pcs on eBay which is a pretty lucrative market considering you can buy them for pennies from governments and refurb them on the cheap

he wants me to make driver CDs for the hardware in them. challenge: make a simple menu panel auto run thing that lets you select a driver to install, for win98.

uhhhhh batch file it is I guess unless I want to try to use versions of tkinter from 2000, msvc 6, or net 1.0

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol batch files. try delphi 4, it was pretty good for win98 guis. or vb6.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

my dad sells windows 98 pcs on eBay which is a pretty lucrative market considering you can buy them for pennies from governments and refurb them on the cheap

he wants me to make driver CDs for the hardware in them. challenge: make a simple menu panel auto run thing that lets you select a driver to install, for win98.

uhhhhh batch file it is I guess unless I want to try to use versions of tkinter from 2000, msvc 6, or net 1.0

tkinter is definitely the least horrible option of the 3

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

double sulk posted:

I'd rather use Rethink over Mongo though

that's a pretty tepid recommendation

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ruby is twice as p lang as python is

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
p lang is short for "programming language"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
programming languages are bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coaxmetal posted:

p lang is short for pterrible language

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

coaxmetal posted:

this is correct if you interpret those as scare-quotes

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Soricidus posted:

programming languages are bad

the only acceptable programming language is ML

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
In reallife C++: should I use NULL or nullptr? what if I'm using the windows apis?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I am considering learning Haskell, is this a good idea?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Rahu posted:

yes

it will make you hate the lack of expressiveness of other type systems, though, so take that into consideration

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

In reallife C++: should I use NULL or nullptr? what if I'm using the windows apis?
nullptr

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Rahu posted:

yep

well, don't if you only want to learn something you'll actually use

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Rahu posted:

yes it is a good idea, you should consider learning haskell. i don't know enough to tell you if learning haskell itself is good or bad, but you should at least consider it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you've already done ML or similar, you might not get that much from haskell. if you've only been doing OO languages, you will likely find it weird and hard, but you might pick up stuff along the way

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
crossposting this in hope certain win32 experts see it

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Hello,

I am trying to toggle the loudness equalizer on my speakers with code using C++.

Currently I am able to get the default playback speakers using IMMDeviceEnumerator but I can't find where the enhancements are configured.
The closest thing I got on MSDN is the documentation for System Effects Audio Processing Objects and Audio Drivers Interfaces.

Does anyone have any tips how to proceed? Also is it possible to monitor API calls for system dialogs such as this one (rundll.exe)? If so, how?

according to a blog post by raymond chen the audio enhancements are literally the Audio Processing Objects (APO). but when I enumerate the APOs using EnumerateAPOs from <audioenginebaseapo.h> i dont get the loudness equalizer

please help

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr. Glass posted:

the only acceptable programming language is ML

correct post

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

tef posted:

yes it is a good idea, you should consider learning haskell. i don't know enough to tell you if learning haskell itself is good or bad, but you should at least consider it.

yeah my endorsement was more an endorsement of studying functional languages and type systems more than haskell itself

it might be good but i don't know enough about it to make that call

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i think haskell is the best example of immutable, pure functional stuff. if you're learning it, that stuff is probably what you're learning it for. plus $ lets you forget about parens which is p great.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
although personally i'm toying with rust since it seems to have most of the upsides of haskell with different downsides

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tef posted:

if you've already done ML or similar, you might not get that much from haskell. if you've only been doing OO languages, you will likely find it weird and hard, but you might pick up stuff along the way

you only wont pick up stuff along the way if you give up when it feels weird and hard

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

AlsoD posted:

although personally i'm toying with rust since it seems to have most of the upsides of haskell with different downsides

what are the rust downsides?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ploft-shell crab posted:

what are the rust downsides?

the big one at the moment is that it is unstable, and keeping your code up to date with language changes will be a necessary burden.

(rust also requires a higher amount of precision in types than other languages in its domain, in particular handling mutable/immutable as well as ownership of data. this isn't really a downside, but a tradeoff for safety)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i found that haskell really ruined other languages for me. to a lesser extent lisp did too.