Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah Bret's bitterness kind of gets old to me but he comes off as honest at least. Scott Hall not signing a card for a kid dying of cancer is unbelievably lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bret doesn't seem bitter to me so much as he's just weirdly honest but he's def one of the most interesting to psychoanalyze. Like if he were less honest he probably wouldn't put himself over so much or talk frankly about things in the past he didn't like but neither comes off like he's going out of his way to grind an ax

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
It says a lot that I enjoyed Austin's wrestling podcast interview with a beer maker, and thought JR's wrestling podcast with a wrestler interview was horrible.

Whoever said JR isn't sober during this is right. He's getting more bitter and angrier as he goes along. And he's doing a hell of a job shooting himself in the foot in ever working for anyone again. He can say he's happy and done but that's only because no one's come calling with a six-figure salary yet.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

It says a lot that I enjoyed Austin's wrestling podcast interview with a beer maker, and thought JR's wrestling podcast with a wrestler interview was horrible.

Whoever said JR isn't sober during this is right. He's getting more bitter and angrier as he goes along. And he's doing a hell of a job shooting himself in the foot in ever working for anyone again. He can say he's happy and done but that's only because no one's come calling with a six-figure salary yet.

Colt's AOW with JR this week was one of the worst I've ever listened to. At least boring guests say weird stuff or shoot themselves in the foot, JR just went on negative tangents half the time.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I wish JR was back in the WWE so Vince could humiliate him some more.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I find it remarkable how quickly the goodwill from his firing has dissipated with how bitter/sour JR has proven himself to be.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I find it remarkable how quickly the goodwill from his firing has dissipated with how bitter/sour JR has proven himself to be.

Has he been? I haven't really paid much attention to him. Has he just criticized WWE at every chance he gets?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Not really WWE itself, but he just bitches about the issues with modern wrestling in general (particularly heels not being able to cheat :psyduck:. ) Mind you I've only listened to 2 of his podcasts, but if most everyone is to be believed, he does this on every show.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I mean honestly I think most people who've been around the business as long as JR would, if given the means to do so and no governing leash like WWE, just complain about how wrestling is today

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Rip Rogers doing the same thing on Twitter is a thousand times more entertaining, though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cardboard Box posted:

I mean honestly I think most people who've been around the business as long as JR would, if given the means to do so and no governing leash like WWE, just complain about how wrestling is today

Even when he was on the leash he still did it. See also: Legends of Wrestling where he bitches nonstop about Wrestling Today.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't see how anyone can listen to the JR podcast without skipping to the interviews. Even those are heading towards unlistenable. I actually agree with some of his points, but he repeats them verbatim every week. The first 25 minutes is the following:
-Raw is Ok, they need to be building talent, blablabla
-TNA needs to differentiate themselves from RAW, whether that be a more stiff style, or something, but I hope they succeed
-Ring of Honor needs better production values, I am not sure how a guy who owns a TV channel can't have more quality production
-There are no rules, heels need to cheat, but without rules how can they (note:this is a good 10 minutes and probably word for word the same every week)
-I wish we still had ties sometimes
-Pause for a sip of Sonic Route 49, why don't they sponsor me

I probably missed one or two others

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ribsauce posted:

I don't see how anyone can listen to the JR podcast without skipping to the interviews. Even those are heading towards unlistenable. I actually agree with some of his points, but he repeats them verbatim every week. The first 25 minutes is the following:
-TNA needs to differentiate themselves from RAW, whether that be a more stiff style, or something, but I hope they succeed
-Ring of Honor needs better production values, I am not sure how a guy who owns a TV channel can't have more quality production
-There are no rules, heels need to cheat, but without rules how can they (note:this is a good 10 minutes and probably word for word the same every week)

He really seems to hate that Bray Wyatt gets cheered. He complains about any heel that gets a face reaction, but he really seems to have it in for Wyatt in particular. He'll throw out a mention that he thinks Wyatt is a great competitor, but it seems half-hearted.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Ribsauce posted:

Probably something like wrestling fans are too stupid to use the terms "push", "bury", or "heel".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dreamsicle posted:

Probably something like wrestling fans are too stupid to use the terms "push", "bury", or "heel".

Those are my faves. You're bitching about the internet ON THE loving INTERNET.

He freely admits he's a tired old man sitting in an empty radio station, though. It's kind of fitting in a way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fauxhawk Express posted:

he just bitches about the issues with modern wrestling in general...he does this on every show.

Maybe not the very first few shows he did, but definitely every single one since the first few. It was a novelty, then it got grating, then I stopped listening.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Who is more bitter; Colt or JR?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ribsauce posted:

I actually agree with some of his points, but he repeats them verbatim every week.

Exactly. A lot of what he says is quite sensible and makes sense, but he just repeats it every single week (as well as fantasy booking Roman Reigns to beat Lesnar at Wrestlemania) and doesn't really seem to add anything new.

I don't even think he is actually being overly negative, but it's just tiring hearing the same thing every single week.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Valeyard posted:

Who is more bitter; Colt or JR?

Option C: Zack Ryder

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Option C: Zack Ryder

Well atleast he doesn't have a podcast yet

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Zack was a good guest

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New SNCJ! And as a bonus, a recently discovered episode I wasn't on.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Colt at least admits he's bitter and does what he does to try and show ROH that they messed up. JR is just kinda depressing to witness.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Yaya posted:

Colt at least admits he's bitter and does what he does to try and show ROH that they messed up. JR is just kinda depressing to witness.

Colt's also bitter about one or two very specific things, not everything. JR is one of those guys who hates that wrestling fans as a whole have gotten a little more sophisticated since the 1970s and he feels the need to constantly explain who people should and shouldn't cheer for based on booking theories that are decades out of date.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

personally, I don't listen to his show

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Valeyard posted:

Well atleast he doesn't have a podcast yet

He was one of the first wrestlers to beat a youtube show into the ground so I'm sure he'll get around to having a terrible podcast eventually

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jerusalem posted:

Exactly. A lot of what he says is quite sensible and makes sense, but he just repeats it every single week (as well as fantasy booking Roman Reigns to beat Lesnar at Wrestlemania) and doesn't really seem to add anything new.

I don't even think he is actually being overly negative, but it's just tiring hearing the same thing every single week.

Thing is Austin often does the same thing, but instead he makes it about his guest and he'll ask them what they think the WWE should do. And then they just talk about it briefly.

With JR it's like he things he has a whole new audience week after week and so has to repeat the same points so they don't miss them. The problem is that the more he talks the more outdated he seems, with just a failure to acknowledge that this isn't the same era and the same tricks don't work anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Thing is Austin often does the same thing, but instead he makes it about his guest and he'll ask them what they think the WWE should do. And then they just talk about it briefly.

With JR it's like he things he has a whole new audience week after week and so has to repeat the same points so they don't miss them. The problem is that the more he talks the more outdated he seems, with just a failure to acknowledge that this isn't the same era and the same tricks don't work anymore.

Many of the things he complains about work regardless of the era and when you see it happen in front of today's audiences it still works. The problem with his message is no one wants to hear it repeated over and over and over, nor do they want to be treated like children. (That isn't to say he isn't behind the times in some ways.)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven't listened to the JR podcast yet but plan to soon. Who's worse about complaining about today's product; JR or Jim Cornette?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Corny has fun, so I'd go with him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arbite posted:

Corny has fun, so I'd go with him.

Yeah, I haven't heard Cornette too many times but he seems pretty self-aware.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

The only thing he has changed in this routine is that he now predicts he'll get complaints on Twitter about repeating the same poo poo every week. And he does that itself every week now too. He's an amazing troll. I've given up on the podcast as a weekly listen, but I'll keep an eye on it in case he gets another good guest like DiBiase and essentially lucks into having a listenable podcast that week.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm dying at the new Wrestling Observer, when Bryan and Dave deadpan about the possibility of interviewing Brie's dog at the press conference, if they could verify that the dog was indeed terrified, and then asking if the robber Bryan caught expressed the same signs of terror.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I just finished listening to that, that was really amusing

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
It's fine to be an "old school" fan. And yes, there are plenty of things wrestling did better 20 years ago.

But the tell tale sign of how bitter JR is is Austin's show. He's as much--if not more--old school as JR. But he seems to always have a positive slant to the product and certainly doesn't act like a total dick who hates the product, the fans and everything in between, but swears he's happy.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
When it comes to JR, I am not sure whether his bitterness stems from the way he was treated during his tenure or if it was the bitterness that led him to being treated that way.

I can sympathize with him and agree with many of his points, but to hear that he's still harping on the same things - verbatim - that he was when I stopped listening over a month ago is just sad.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fart blood posted:

I haven't listened to the JR podcast yet but plan to soon. Who's worse about complaining about today's product; JR or Jim Cornette?

Surprisingly Cornette doesn't get hung up on it like JR does and he's fully aware that he sounds like an old codger doing it and he's said it a million times so he keeps his complaints about the product short. He spends more time ranting about Kentucky politics than the current WWE product. Plus he's a far more comfortable and entertaining interviewer than JR with more varied guests.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 27, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghostpilot posted:

When it comes to JR, I am not sure whether his bitterness stems from the way he was treated during his tenure or if it was the bitterness that led him to being treated that way.

Honestly it sounds like JR is still incredibly ticked-off over getting fired because it was apparently his fault that Ric Flair was hammered at the WWE 2K14 press event (and no one bothered to think that putting Flair out to do publicity a few months after his son OD'd wasn't a great idea).

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punch/Piss/Whatevercast: News comes out that Inoki has regained total control of NJPW. Who does he hire, who does he fire, what matches does he book, and which title does Bob Sapp immediately win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah Bret's bitterness kind of gets old to me but he comes off as honest at least. Scott Hall not signing a card for a kid dying of cancer is unbelievably lovely.

Are you talking about Bret being bitter in this most recent Observer interview, or in general? Cause I just finished listening to the podcast and I didn't think Bret sounded bitter at all really.

• Locked thread