Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'd say you should just get the main cards from the Modern event deck, but throw out the irrelevant stuff and just buy a more coherent version of Wb Tokens. I put it together cheaply and there are plenty of places to slowly upgrade.

Starter list for budget version:
4 Squadron Hawk
4 Lingering Souls
4 Spectral Procession

4 Duress
3 Inquisition of Kozilek

4 Path to Exile
2 Doom Blade

4 Honor of the Pure
3 Runechanter's Pike
4 Zealous Persecution

4 Temple of Silence
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Orzhov Guildgate
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Swamp
8 Plains

That's $66.28 right now Optimized on TCG Player, and it is reasonably competitive because it's a focused list. Of course that doesn't include sideboard and if you can swing it I'd immediately upgrade the 4 Hawk 3 Pike package to instead be 4 Mirran Crusader and 3 Hero of Bladehold. Plus there's plenty of room to make the mana better if you can get shocks at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Interesting match on right now. Jund vs UWR where Joel Larsson pushed the game into the midgame/late game with a Liliana and Dark Confident doing work against Jackie Lee.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uggy posted:

You playing merfolk without cursecatchers or merrows or lords or something?

It probably only felt like 120 because i already owned the mutavaults and vials already :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

vOv posted:

Jesus gently caress

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Korak posted:

Interesting match on right now. Jund vs UWR where Joel Larsson pushed the game into the midgame/late game with a Liliana and Dark Confident doing work against Jackie Lee.

Then Lee wins by Snapcasting with a graveyard that has no Lightning Bolt? :psyduck:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ungulateman posted:

Then Lee wins by Snapcasting with a graveyard that has no Lightning Bolt? :psyduck:

What exactly happened? If it was a Jedi mind trick then that's cool and something I can get behind, but I imagine it would still draw accusations of shady play from some sections of the peanut gallery.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Holy poo poo Tarkir what the hell.

Also, apparently Teferi is only part of a cycle of planeswalkers that you can play as commanders, per MaRo's tumblr.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

homerlaw posted:

Tibetan Mastiff person, best set ever confirmed.

wanna make TemurGoodDogs.dec so bad.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I don't have much Modern stuff, unfortunately. Last set I played was Mirrodin, and that was just a tiny bit--almost all of my stuff is Onslaught, and I ran a fun Zombie deck. (I'm trying to make that Modern legal and here's my plan... Modern Zombies). Of course, a lot of that is not Modern legal.

My roommate has a whole lot of stuff, though, and certainly some things I could use to play with until I acquire them on my own, eventually. Living End (2-3, I think), Aether Vial, some shock lands, a decent chunk of creatures.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BeefSupreme posted:

I don't have much Modern stuff, unfortunately. Last set I played was Mirrodin, and that was just a tiny bit--almost all of my stuff is Onslaught, and I ran a fun Zombie deck. (I'm trying to make that Modern legal and here's my plan... Modern Zombies). Of course, a lot of that is not Modern legal.

My roommate has a whole lot of stuff, though, and certainly some things I could use to play with until I acquire them on my own, eventually. Living End (2-3, I think), Aether Vial, some shock lands, a decent chunk of creatures.
This might take a while, but do you mind cataloging everything you and your roommate own? Just so it'll be easier for us to advise you. Deckbox.net is a good site for that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Pullin' these pics together. There was information about the different clan's gimmicks at the panel but I haven't heard the full information; each clan also has some unique tribes associated with it, but haven't heard the complete breakdown.

The Azban Houses
Wedge: White-Black-Green
Dragon aspect: Endurance
Symbol: Dragon scale
Khan: Anafenza

The Jeskai Way
Wedge: Blue-Red-White
Dragon aspect: Cunning
Symbol: Dragon eye
Khan: Narset

The Sultai Brood
Wedge: Black-Green-Blue
Dragon aspect: Ruthlessness
Symbol: Dragon fang
Khan: Sidisi

The Mardu Horde
Wedge: Red-White-Black
Dragon aspect: Speed
Symbol: Dragon wings
Khan: Zurgo Helmsmasher

The Temur Frontier
Wedge: Green-Blue-Red
Dragon aspect: Savagery
Symbol: Dragon claw
Khan: Surrak Dragonclaw

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 27, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I was in a chat wondering this, and I was curious what the thread thought.

What are the mechanics that fit for a wedge? The only thing I could think of is that First strike is almost exclusive to White, red, and black. The only green or blue cards with first strike that I can find that are legal in modern and don't rely on one of the other colors are two legends, Glissa and Mirri.

EDIT:^^ Also, holy crap the Mardu goblins look amazing.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2014

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Boco_T posted:

I'd say you should just get the main cards from the Modern event deck, but throw out the irrelevant stuff and just buy a more coherent version of Wb Tokens. I put it together cheaply and there are plenty of places to slowly upgrade.

If I were to do this, would you recommend starting with buying the event Deck (like 50 bucks), and then filling it out with the rest of your list? Or just do it piecemeal?

That leads to me to question 2: Where do you guys buy most of your cards?

neetengie posted:

This might take a while, but do you mind cataloging everything you and your roommate own? Just so it'll be easier for us to advise you. Deckbox.net is a good site for that.

It's possible... It'd be rares only, though--and probably only valuable ones, at that. He's got probably 20k cards or more.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BeefSupreme posted:

If I were to do this, would you recommend starting with buying the event Deck (like 50 bucks), and then filling it out with the rest of your list? Or just do it piecemeal?

It's possible... It'd be rares only, though--and probably only valuable ones, at that. He's got probably 20k cards or more.

Where did you find the Modern Event Deck for less than $75?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BeefSupreme posted:

Some rares and some uncommons yeah, does he organize them by expansion at least? That might make it easier.

Gensuki posted:

What are the mechanics that fit for a wedge? The only thing I could think of is that First strike is almost exclusive to White, red, and black. The only green or blue cards with first strike that I can find that are legal in modern and don't rely on one of the other colors are two legends, Glissa and Mirri.
Flashback for the UWR one? Maybe something revolving around 1-for-1 trades for Azban?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Event deck is pretty serviceable if you add Godless Shrines and Thoughtseizes to it. There's a lot of room for improvement from there, but that's the best you're going to get at that budget.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If Temur isn't all about making the fattest fatties you can or otherwise being HUGE I will be disappointed.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gensuki posted:

You probably want to look at the Wedge cards that exist currently for an idea of the kind of mechanics each wedge could have

Azban
Jeskai
Sultai
Mardu
Temur

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cernunnos posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGIC-THE-G...=item3a94076113

There's a few others on there.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao Dezani just looked at a card before conceding and I guarantee he won't be DQed

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm seriously enjoying the fact that Tarkir appears to be somewhat of a melting pot of races that either haven't been seen before or are comparatively underdeveloped. We've hit the point where even tribes that more or less didn't exist for the first half of Magic's history are becoming seriously overexposed by comparison (cat people, I'm looking at you) so a world of snakes, orcs, dogs and djinns, plus whatever else, will be pretty refreshing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

Store near me has them for $60 and still nobody's buying them because they're so bad.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm seriously enjoying the fact that Tarkir appears to be somewhat of a melting pot of races that either haven't been seen before or are comparatively underdeveloped. We've hit the point where even tribes that more or less didn't exist for the first half of Magic's history are becoming seriously overexposed by comparison (cat people, I'm looking at you) so a world of snakes, orcs, dogs and djinns, plus whatever else, will be pretty refreshing.
If the snake aspect from Kamigawa comes back for the snake creatures, I'll love the set even more.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
As someone who wasn't playing around Onslaught block, Morph always felt to me like it would be a loving horrid mechanic, especially the whole "this card says I can make it a 2/2, no I don't actually have to prove that it does, you just have to trust me on this, honest" aspect of it. Am I missing something fundamental here? Is there something I'm missing that made it good?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Gensuki posted:

EDIT:^^ Also, holy crap the Mardu goblins look amazing.

One thing that mutlicolored creatures do is pick up off color traits from the other colors. Lightning Angel gets flying from blue, vigilance from white and haste from red, for example. You also tend to see synergies between the colors, so UWR might get a bunch of blue evasive creatures and tanks with red pyromancers and burn and white fatties and wraths to finish the job. Gru might be more of an aggressive beaters with some blue tricks plan.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Give us more Tribal spells Wizards.

Why can't Flurry of Horns be Tribal Sorcery - Minotaur? What do you have against Door of Destinies actually being good when you decide to reprint it?

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 27, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ MaRo has been very clear they won't be making more tribal cards. Tribal synergies sure but not actually printing Creature - Tribal.

Alris posted:

As someone who wasn't playing around Onslaught block, Morph always felt to me like it would be a loving horrid mechanic, especially the whole "this card says I can make it a 2/2, no I don't actually have to prove that it does, you just have to trust me on this, honest" aspect of it. Am I missing something fundamental here? Is there something I'm missing that made it good?
The rules say that when a game is concluded each player has to flip over morph cards to show they actually were morph cards. If you don't or flip over an island, then you're gonna get a game loss / DQ.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Alris posted:

If you lose a game and there's a face-down creature in play, I'd always ask to see it. If they lied and just put a land or whatever down, then call a judge and have them dq'd. Im sure there will be some official rule updates for morph.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Alris posted:

"this card says I can make it a 2/2, no I don't actually have to prove that it does, you just have to trust me on this, honest"

At the end of a game any un-revealed face down morph cards have to be revealed or you are considered cheating and face penalties.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If you lose a game and there's a face-down creature in play, I'd always ask to see it. If they lied and just put a land or whatever down, then call a judge and have them dq'd. Im sure there will be some official rule updates for morph.

That rule already exists.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Oh man Randy Buelher just said bullshit on stream :allears:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Korak posted:

^^^ MaRo has been very clear they won't be making more tribal cards. Tribal synergies sure but not actually printing Creature - Tribal.

:qq: MaRo is ruining Magic. :qq:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

One thing that mutlicolored creatures do is pick up off color traits from the other colors. Lightning Angel gets flying from blue, vigilance from white and haste from red, for example. You also tend to see synergies between the colors, so UWR might get a bunch of blue evasive creatures and tanks with red pyromancers and burn and white fatties and wraths to finish the job. Gru might be more of an aggressive beaters with some blue tricks plan.

That's true, but they don't really feel as solid as say, Battalion? White and red are the creature flood colors, unless green is getting saproling tokens or black is getting zombie tokens. Green and black are the graveyard colors, so the golgari got dredge and scavenge, both ways to reuse dead creatures (and for dredge, other things...). Red and blue are the "spells" colors, so they got easy spell copying in Izzet 1 and simplified (and hexproof/shroud/protection bypassing) mass targeting in Izzet 2. Giving a WGB creature Vigilance, Deathtouch, and Trample doesn't make it feel like a WBG card, it feels like a White, Black, and Green card if that makes sense.

Zorak posted:

You probably want to look at the Wedge cards that exist currently for an idea of the kind of mechanics each wedge could have

Azban
Jeskai
Sultai
Mardu
Temur

It is impressive how there are no continuous themes between any of those sets of colors... granted it's only between like 5 cards a piece, but still...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cernunnos posted:

If Temur isn't all about making the fattest fatties you can or otherwise being HUGE I will be disappointed.

Look, it's already been established that Temur is about punching bears :colbert:. Morph creatures, being 2/2s, are honorary bears.

It definitely looks like they're really going all-out on this set, though--it's not going to be as Time Spiral as Time Spiral, but between orcs, morph, and breaking new ground on the wedges, it already feels like it's going to have a lot more oomph to it than Theros did.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

JerryLee posted:

Second from the left. That makes two birdmen. Avens are back, baby, oh yeah :parrot:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I definitely bet a lot of people are going to think they can shock a morphed creature in response to the controller unmorphing it (you can't because unmorphing doesn't use the stack for exactly this reason).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

vOv posted:

I definitely bet a lot of people are going to think they can shock a morphed creature in response to the controller unmorphing it (you can't because unmorphing doesn't use the stack for exactly this reason).

Convoke used to be a cost reductor instead of a mana ability, so they miiiight change this for conveniences' sake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

vOv posted:

If it doesn't use the stack (which I'm aware of), then shouldn't the opposite also hold: you can't unmorph in response to a shock?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Maro has said in the past that he regrets that not every shard in Alara block getting its own keyword, even if they did get their own mechanical gimmick. So I'd assume that each wedge would get a brand new keyword.

Guessing that the keywords might relate to their dragon aspect:

Azban - Endurance - Absorb from Future Sight?
Jeskai - Cunning - Morph Triggers? to benefit from the surprise aspect
Sultai - Ruthlessness - No Idea
Mardu - Speed - Since this is aggro, maybe Base/Power Toughness matters? Something that helps weenies, punishes fatties.
Temur - Savagery - No Idea

And in far, far speculation. The weird block structure of Large-Small-Large probably means the the block will go Wedge-NonWedge-Wedge.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Azban - Endurance - Absorb from Future Sight?

Absorb is interesting in that Maro has said he really likes the mechanic, it's just incredibly powerful and hard to develop / balance. They previously used the mechanic in their Star Wars TCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Archenteron posted:

Convoke used to be a cost reductor instead of a mana ability, so they miiiight change this for conveniences' sake.

I forget if I've read any authoritative explanation of the subject, but I'd wager that one of the problems with morph being a normal, stack-using ability is that if it worked that way, you'd pay the cost upfront and then potentially have a lot of game actions that occurred before the creature actually stopped being a 2/2 and started being whatever else.

Among other potential problems, in a lot of situations this basically tells your opponent what the creature's going to become when they're trying to decide whether to shock it or whatever (he sacrificed two mountains to pay the cost? I wonder what that is...) and this in turn changes the 'surprise' dynamic of morph significantly.

I'd wager it would be a much bigger downer of a change than combat damage, honestly.

Rinkles posted:

If it doesn't use the stack (which I'm aware of), then shouldn't the opposite also hold: you can't unmorph in response to a shock?

It doesn't use the stack, but the Shock still does. Morph is just a static ability that specifies something you can do whenever you have priority, which you do before the Shock resolves.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 27, 2014

• Locked thread