Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

DanAdamKOF posted:

Sorry to possibly rehash some questions. I remember reading that Spark-capable phones have issues staying on LTE in some (all?) circumstances (possibly related to Spark devices not supporting SVLTE if I understand?). Does this still happen? Will this affect stuff like streaming music over LTE becoming interrupted and needing to buffer? Is this something that happens when Spark phones are only in a non-Spark area, or only in a Spark area, or am I off the mark? I'm in Dallas if this matters but have plenty of areas I go to that still don't have LTE.

The issue is CSFB or circuit switched fallback.
Single radio devices like Spark phones are only capable of connecting to one thing at a time, either 3G or 4G. Sprint does not currently support voice over LTE, so the phone must drop down to 3G to make and receive calls.
CSFB is how the phone knows to switch from LTE to 3G when a call comes in.

Apparently it's still a problem in some places. For some reason new LTE installations are getting turned on without CSFB working. That incomplete installation will cause issues for nearby Spark phones until they come back to fix its CSFB.

If your Spark phone connects to an LTE signal without CSFB, it will drop down to a "failsafe" 3G connection to make sure you can still send and receive phone calls. When your phone does this, it will stay on 3G for a while - however long your phone's scan interval is, probably 5 minutes. Also, if you're currently using data on 3G, it will not try to switch back to LTE until there's a lull in the data traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

rock2much posted:

I'm holding on to my upgrade until next month but if nothing were coming out until like Christmas, I'd probably get a Nexus 5.

the note 4 will prob be out in the next 2 months

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Looking at the tower info, I think I am boned. I am less then a mile away from the tower nearest to me, but for some reason even though it has 4G, I cannot get it at my place. :negative:

Guess now it's the wait for a Spark phone and tower upgrades then. :suicide:

towers are also directional,I also live less then a mile from a 4g lte tower and I have no service at my house all because the tower points the opposite way :-(

DanAdamKOF posted:

Sorry to possibly rehash some questions. I remember reading that Spark-capable phones have issues staying on LTE in some (all?) circumstances (possibly related to Spark devices not supporting SVLTE if I understand?). Does this still happen? Will this affect stuff like streaming music over LTE becoming interrupted and needing to buffer? Is this something that happens when Spark phones are only in a non-Spark area, or only in a Spark area, or am I off the mark? I'm in Dallas if this matters but have plenty of areas I go to that still don't have LTE.

It happened mainly with the early spark phones. I have a spark device (lg g flex) and I don't believe I have ever run into that issue. The issue you are speaking about mainly happened with the Galaxy s4 when they changed it after launch from a lte device to a spark device. As a technician I don't really get complaints about that happening (I also live in an area not fully rolled out LTE) I honestly don't think you have much to worry about with that issue anymore.

Jliznel fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 23, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

lazydog posted:

If your Spark phone connects to an LTE signal without CSFB, it will drop down to a "failsafe" 3G connection to make sure you can still send and receive phone calls. When your phone does this, it will stay on 3G for a while - however long your phone's scan interval is, probably 5 minutes

Or until it can find a good LTE signal but in some markets there aren't any and a Spark phone is forever stuck on Edge speed 3g. There are places you can check if you are in those areas but its pretty rare.

Some people in those regions have been turning the phone to "LTE only" to get decent data but in doing so lose the ability to make or receive calls (until they change back). I believe a change usually requires a reboot.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Guess now it's the wait for a Spark phone and tower upgrades then. :suicide:

Welcome to Sprint. Enjoy your stay.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

Welcome to Sprint. Enjoy your stay.

I can't say its been bad on my end since the 3G has been manageable (and I don't know much better since my home ISP is a whopping 1.5Mbit), but to get a Taste of LTE, and know it is finally here, and yet just outside my reach at home, really hurts...

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

I can't say its been bad on my end since the 3G has been manageable (and I don't know much better since my home ISP is a whopping 1.5Mbit), but to get a Taste of LTE, and know it is finally here, and yet just outside my reach at home, really hurts...

... TMobile has a 5gb of data plan + unlimited text + 100 minutes for $30/month (with no extra fees except sales tax) no contract with the fastest network with great coverage. If you're paying nearly full price for Sprint you're getting a really bad deal (unfortunately).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455820,00.asp

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

... TMobile has a 5gb of data plan + unlimited text + 100 minutes for $30/month (with no extra fees except sales tax) no contract with the fastest network with great coverage. If you're paying nearly full price for Sprint you're getting a really bad deal (unfortunately).

Isn't the catch with T-Mobile though that you are also paying a monthly fee for your smartphone as well? So it ends up balancing out with Verizon.

For me right now on Sprint, it's just $30 a month after tax.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Isn't the catch with T-Mobile though that you are also paying a monthly fee for your smartphone as well? So it ends up balancing out with Verizon.

For me right now on Sprint, it's just $30 a month after tax.

No $30 + sales tax is the total cost I don't know what you mean by pay for smartphone as well unless you are talking about tablet/hotspot + phone. In that case you can't actually get the 5gb for $30 anyway it's only for phones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

No $30 + sales tax is the total cost I don't know what you mean by pay for smartphone as well unless you are talking about tablet/hotspot + phone. In that case you can't actually get the 5gb for $30 anyway it's only for phones.

You're thinking of their deal where they let you bring your own phone over. I'm looking at their site right now, and to get a Nexus 5 through them is an additional $16.50 a month for 24 months. Which you have to do because Sprint phones can't go to other networks. And of course you can pay the entirety of the phone up front.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

3G here is abysmal. For streaming music, I get maybe 10 seconds for every minute of waiting. LTE is amazing though. Up to 30/7 here, compared to the 60/4 I get at home. It literally reaches my back yard, and if I get within 10 feet of my house it's gone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

You're thinking of their deal where they let you bring your own phone over. I'm looking at their site right now, and to get a Nexus 5 through them is an additional $16.50 a month for 24 months. Which you have to do because Sprint phones can't go to other networks. And of course you can pay the entirety of the phone up front.

Right. All carriers, sprint included, are finally moving away from contracts. Thank god.

It takes a while for it to sink in for people that "oh hey, I have to pay full price for the phone, but my bill is lowered to compensate for it." So yes, when including the cost of the phone, its not AS cheap. But overall, a bit cheaper and you don't have to worry about paying a subsidy you aren't using once your two year contract would be up.

Edit: and if you are on a Sprint SERO plan, that comes down more to whether you are willing to keep putting up with Sprints network for the price.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's the kicker. I am on Sero, and for where I live and travel, Sprint is still better than any other carrier as far as bang for the buck.

Verizon = Better coverage, LTE almost everywhere, but higher price and limited data. (also I have unlimited roaming onto Verizon when Sprint doesn't have coverage. 1x but still...)

T-Mobile = SemiUnlimited, GSM so I can use other cool phones that aren't CDMA, but coverage in my area is meh at best and horrible in the boonie parts I visit/live.

AT&T = All the good phones, coverage is good, but nothing comparable as a price/plan ratio either.

Hell on Sprint 3G, I have sucked down over 3G this month. (And the day LTE fired up, I sucked down another 4GB lol).

So I will more than likely stick around on SERO for a while longer. Really want to pick up a G3 which will be the first phone I get on contract since 2009.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 24, 2014

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jliznel posted:

go for it i've been tossing back and forth between g3 and nexus 5 so if you grab it let me know how you like it.

I'm loving the Nex 5, and this is coming from a GS3.

I was less than happy with the clusterfuck that porting my number out from Google Voice turned out to be.
I still have to call back into billing and get my contract changed back to my everything 450 plan from the new framily crap.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 24, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Actually the Nexus 5 is an exception and you can take any "Sprint" Nexus 5 over to TMo/ATT. I put it in quotes because all Nexus 5 are unlocked phones with additional CDMA frequencies. Most recent phones if you can get unlocked would actually work on GSM (ATT/TMo). Sprint support will unlock phones for international GSM but it's supposed to block domestic ATT/TMo specifically.

I've never tested it but supposedly the HTC One M7 Sprint model was actually unlocked out of the box and could be used on any carrier with a proper Sim.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Actually the Nexus 5 is an exception and you can take any "Sprint" Nexus 5 over to TMo/ATT. I put it in quotes because all Nexus 5 are unlocked phones with additional CDMA frequencies. Most recent phones if you can get unlocked would actually work on GSM (ATT/TMo). Sprint support will unlock phones for international GSM but it's supposed to block domestic ATT/TMo specifically.

I've never tested it but supposedly the HTC One M7 Sprint model was actually unlocked out of the box and could be used on any carrier with a proper Sim.

Haha, go figure I just happen to pick the one exception as an example. :P

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dammit. I am so close to getting a G3. But when I make the call, the rep won't shutup about all the addons/features/current deals/etc, then gets to the final price and its practically $300+ to get the phone after tax and activation and shipping, and I talk myself out of it.

If they really wanted me to get the device I am CALLING TO BUY and just say, "Sure thing, do you want insurance? Yes? Ok then the total will be this and it will be there on X day. Have a nice day!" I would probably not think twice.

But its first telling me about features about the phone I already know everything about, then its about the phone accessories, then screen protectors, then hey Free Tablet (With new Data Plan), etc. Don't try to sell me something I already am sold on getting. Just shut up and take my money!

I guess I can live without it for a few months until it comes up free on contract or something. My LTE may not have battery life anymore, but it still does everything if a bit slower unless it is on LTE now, which flat out makes it fly. But man, that screen and overall design. :shepspends:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 25, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Can you not order through the website with SERO?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can you not order through the website with SERO?

You used to be able to. I think it tries to force you over to a current plan now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

EdEddnEddy posted:

But man, that screen and overall design. :shepspends:
I know, I went to see the G3 this week thinking I wouldn't want it but it looks really good in person and feels great in the hand too. I don't know if I want to be stuck with LG's software after a couple of years on TouchWiz though. Plus I really want a front facing speaker on my next phone. But if there was a Google Play Edition someone could port from over to the Sprint version, I might get it anyway.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So how is the Nexus 5 situation? Are updates as timely as the Play-sold model? Is it generally better than what happened with the Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus?

I'm trying to figure out my Sprint/Samsung exit strategy. I'd just go T-Mo and actually have been testing with a T-Mo SIM for a bit, but they're 2G only on the interstates whereas Sprint has been LTE for a lot of what I drive for a while now. That leaves AT&T, but I might be willing to stick with Sprint if I can at least use a non-hosed-up phone.

Edit: Can I pick up a Play-store N5 and pop in a Sprint SIM? I can't imagine that would actually work, but it would be perfect if it did.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So how is the Nexus 5 situation? Are updates as timely as the Play-sold model? Is it generally better than what happened with the Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus?

I'm trying to figure out my Sprint/Samsung exit strategy. I'd just go T-Mo and actually have been testing with a T-Mo SIM for a bit, but they're 2G only on the interstates whereas Sprint has been LTE for a lot of what I drive for a while now. That leaves AT&T, but I might be willing to stick with Sprint if I can at least use a non-hosed-up phone.

Edit: Can I pick up a Play-store N5 and pop in a Sprint SIM? I can't imagine that would actually work, but it would be perfect if it did.

Yes the updates are hitting all at once. You'll need to pick up a SIM specifically for the N5.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Electronaut posted:

You'll need to pick up a SIM specifically for the N5.
So I still can't SIM swap between devices (S4 and N5) on Sprint?

It'd be nice to have a backup phone, but changing activation on a SERO line is seriously strenuous exercise.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It'd be nice to have a backup phone, but changing activation on a SERO line is seriously strenuous exercise.

Sorry I don't know poo poo about the S4 but Sprint has different SIMs depending the phone model. That's just for the LTE, for the CDMA the phone still has to be registered to the line.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
You can indeed bring a Play store N5 to Sprint, I did just that because Sprint doesn't stock the 32GB. Strange, the feeling that I can just go to TMobile on a whim with the same phone now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's probably a bit late for me to jump on the N5. My S4 isn't going to blow up anytime soon, so I'll probably just wait for L phone and reevaluate the situation then.

The part that frustrates me the most is that Sprint's data service has been awful forever, but at least their voice worked just fine. But now wherever LTE service is rolling out it seems like voice is going to poo poo. Half the time I pick up calls at home the other side sounds like an unintelligible robot until the call drops five seconds later. It was not always this way.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This spreadsheet indicates that the SGS4 and the N5 use the same model of SIM card.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's probably a bit late for me to jump on the N5. My S4 isn't going to blow up anytime soon, so I'll probably just wait for L phone and reevaluate the situation then.

The part that frustrates me the most is that Sprint's data service has been awful forever, but at least their voice worked just fine. But now wherever LTE service is rolling out it seems like voice is going to poo poo. Half the time I pick up calls at home the other side sounds like an unintelligible robot until the call drops five seconds later. It was not always this way.

But on an episode of 24 I saw them use HD Voice! :ohdear:

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

td4guy posted:

This spreadsheet indicates that the SGS4 and the N5 use the same model of SIM card.

No you cant, sprint does not use sim cards for anything other then 4g service. The only Service that uses sims like that is gsm (aka att tmobile, most over seas carriers)
Unless you want to use that sim to move the 4g service to the nexus after you have them swap the esn so the phone activates that you can do. But just swapping the sim will not transfer service.

Jliznel fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 27, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's time for me to get a new phone, which will be either a Galaxy S5 or a Nexus 5. Does either have an advantage when it comes to traveling overseas?

Also, what advantages does a Play Store N5 have over a Sprint N5? Not just for worldwide use (if any) but in general?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jliznel posted:

But just swapping the sim will not transfer service.
That's how it works on Verizon though. They have this nifty capability of automatically transferring and reprovisioning the CDMA-side of the service once it's first associated with an LTE SIM. So Verizon SIMs swaps are intuitive.

I was under the impression that with the Chameleon provisioning software (non-embedded-SIM) Sprint LTE devices worked the same way. Maybe not.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Also, what advantages does a Play Store N5 have over a Sprint N5? Not just for worldwide use (if any) but in general?

Same exact device. More expensive on Sprint if purchased outright ("worth it" to buy from Sprint I guess only if you're burning an upgrade and plan on sticking around for the contract term anyway), and Sprint only stocks black and white 16GB models.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SpelledBackwards posted:

But on an episode of 24 I saw them use HD Voice! :ohdear:

Clearly London has the best Sprint towers.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

It's time for me to get a new phone, which will be either a Galaxy S5 or a Nexus 5. Does either have an advantage when it comes to traveling overseas?

The Nexus 5 supports more frequency bands, and is unlocked out of the box, so you can pop in a sim from a local telco while abroad.
Or, as the Nexus 5 works on T-Mobile, you could sign up for one of their $50/month plans prior to your departure and get free international data roaming.

The Sprint Galaxy S5 supports fewer international frequencies, so it may have limited/no coverage in more places, and it's locked to Sprint, and Sprint is stupid about unlocking http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
This is interesting.

Sprint's locking document posted:

In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service (“Unlocking Commitment”), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stick100 posted:

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm having trouble believing this because the data plan has always been utter trash for me, especially considering what they charge for the poo poo. I have a Nexus 4 and where I live it's kind of spotty between "H" (which I assume is 3G/4G), which is just passable if I need to use the internet for something and/or stream music or something, and "E" (Edge/2G I guess?) which may as well be no data plan at all because I can barely get my loving email when it shows that.

I was thinking of switching carriers, but reading the last few pages of this thread I take it that Sprint is not the one I want to switch to.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

raditts posted:

I was thinking of switching carriers, but reading the last few pages of this thread I take it that Sprint is not the one I want to switch to.

Where do you live?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Where do you live?

Central PA. I drive down to Maryland pretty often too, and for a good part of the drive the T-Mo data coverage is hot garbage, even on the highways and more populated areas it seems. On the other hand, the coverage map on Sprint's website seemed to show 4G over a pretty good area so I was considering switching, but it sounds from reading the last few pages that their data coverage isn't much better.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

raditts posted:

Central PA. I drive down to Maryland pretty often too, and for a good part of the drive the T-Mo data coverage is hot garbage, even on the highways and more populated areas it seems. On the other hand, the coverage map on Sprint's website seemed to show 4G over a pretty good area so I was considering switching, but it sounds from reading the last few pages that their data coverage isn't much better.
Sprint's website shows hopeful future 4G coverage, not today's 4G coverage.

As for that region, it's almost fully-upgraded with good coverage. Except for the Thurmont/Frederick area which hasn't had fiber laid yet for them to enable 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Friend has a Galaxy S3 on Sprint and just shattered her screen. What's the best option for repair these days?