Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm trying to imagine something Washington and New York are polar opposites on, and Colorado is WA's closest neighbor, and Texas is far closer to NY than WA, and... it just seems unimaginable, on any sort of cultural/political axis. Unless I'm severely misreading New York, or am clueless about my own state.

So it's either got to be some sort of surprising demographics statistic, or question defined by those two states. Such as which one you'd rather move to. I could totally see this data fitting a question like that, if green is neutral.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I like the sports idea, but I can't think of any rivalries between WA and NY.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm trying to imagine something Washington and New York are polar opposites on, and Colorado is WA's closest neighbor, and Texas is far closer to NY than WA, and... it just seeks unimaginable, on any sort of cultural/political axis. Unless I'm severely misreading New York, or am clueless about my own state.

So it's either got to be some sort of surprising demographics statistic, or question defined by those two states. Such as which one you'd rather move to. I could totally see this data fitting a question like that, if green is neutral.
Weed laws?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wild guess based on the Gulf states: Vietnamese population.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Price/Supply of Marijuana? Red being the cheapest (because of legalization) blue being the most expensive?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nessus posted:

Weed laws?

That's what I thought, but Colorado's new weed law is more generous than ours, and I don't think New York would be harshest on weed in the entire nation.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 27, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
# of people who slept with your mother.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Quality of pizza? But then Illinois would be the brightest red, not Washington.

gently caress you man "Chicago style" pizza is a marketing gimmick and most Chicagoans eat a form of crispy thin crust pizza that doesn't have a name because deep dish stole the Chicago name.

One deep dish pie takes 45 minutes to bake and has like 6,000 calories and nobody eats it more than once or twice a year. I'm sick of Chicago's name being dragged down by this drat gimmick tomato pie!

It doesn't help that most "Chicago style" pizzas you get outside Chicago are not only not the preferred style of pizza in Chicago, they're not even the Chicago deep dish that Chicagoans rarely eat. It's all dough. Chicago deep dish may be eaten only rarely but it's a goddamn pizza pie full of cheese and tomato and toppings not this fluffy bread monstrosity with a 2 inch thick crust that you get when you order "Chicago style."

In summary, gently caress you New York you've never even had a Chicago-style pizza. You haven't even had a "Chicago style" pizza.

This is what people actually eat in Chicago.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 27, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Haha that's just regular pizza cut into some angular slices. It's the same thing people eat the world over. New York pizza is mostly that, except when it's thinner and more delicious. So you're saying that people eat the same pizza everyone in the entire universe eats, except the 10% of times they eat a pizza shaped by history and location. Welcome to the world.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Why do Americans have such an insane obsession with regional pizza anyway? There are two types of Pizza - good pizza and bad pizza. Pizza is pizza man just loving eat it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have to agree it's a bit weird how some Americans seem to obsess over every aspect of their prefab fast food in general. As if you're debasing the noble hot dog by putting ketchup on it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DarkCrawler posted:

Why do Americans have such an insane obsession with regional pizza anyway? There are two types of Pizza - good pizza and bad pizza. Pizza is pizza man just loving eat it.
Lack of real identity.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Phlegmish posted:

I have to agree it's a bit weird how some Americans seem to obsess over every aspect of their prefab fast food in general. As if you're debasing the noble hot dog by putting ketchup on it.

I'd say it's overcompensating for not having a native cuisine, then I realized that at least half of the food I eat in regular basis probably has an American behind it's creation so that can't be the case.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The pizza discussion I can understand, since there's at least a lot you can do with it (though the pizza that was posted seems to be a fairly standard one). I just think it's funny there is etiquette for eating processed rat meat.

I don't buy that they don't have a proper cuisine either, it's just that they always seem to focus on the fast food. What about, I don't know, clam chowder or turkey-based dishes?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do not say bad things about the Triple Pickle Indianapolis style Burger.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Arglebargle III posted:

This is what people actually eat in Chicago.

That, is what I would call a bad pizza.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Haha that's just regular pizza cut into some angular slices. It's the same thing people eat the world over. New York pizza is mostly that, except when it's thinner and more delicious. So you're saying that people eat the same pizza everyone in the entire universe eats, except the 10% of times they eat a pizza shaped by history and location. Welcome to the world.

Yes, Chicago style thin crust is very similar to pizza, the way they make it in Italy and most of the world. New York style pizza is like that, only floppy. New York pizza is the shameful limp dick of the pizza world. But hey, as long as New Yorkers are satisfied with it that's okay.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Do not say bad things about the Triple Pickle Indianapolis style Burger.

And did you know that on this side of the continent people say 'pop', while on the other side they say 'soda?' It's crazy how diverse the United States are. :v:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, Chicago style thin crust is very similar to pizza, the way they make it in Italy and most of the world. New York style pizza is like that, only floppy. New York pizza is the shameful limp dick of the pizza world. But hey, as long as New Yorkers are satisfied with it that's okay.
Can't you just focus on your other eats?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Riso posted:

That, is what I would call a bad pizza.

If there's one thing I hate about this generation it's the tendency to judge food by photos.

I'm just tired of people insulting Chicago style pizza. It's like making fun of Mexicans for their hard shell tacos with lots of shredded Kraft cheese.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it looks like a tasty but completely unremarkable pizza. 7/10 is my verdict.

Now show me a proper Chicago-style pizza.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
We need more maps and less talk about weird American pizza that is not Italian pizza.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

If there's one thing I hate about this generation it's the tendency to judge food by photos.

It's the tendency to send the photos to people who are not involved with the eating that gets me.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Honj Steak posted:

We need more maps and less talk about weird American pizza that is not Italian pizza.

Now that is good pizza!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Honj Steak posted:

drat straight!

Yellow=average, Red=Below average, green=above average (I have no idea what the average is)

Countries with a Pizza Hut

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't know pizza was so liberal.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

System Metternich posted:

they tried to establish themselves in Norway around 15 or 20 years ago, but it was a tremendous failure and in the end all they ended up with was a tiny corner shop in Oslo Airport. if this picture is accurate, that place went tits up as well.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lycus posted:

I know, right? Seeing the 2012 GOP primaries, you'd think different.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ulvir posted:

they tried to establish themselves in Norway around 15 or 20 years ago, but it was a tremendous failure and in the end all they ended up with was a tiny corner shop in Oslo Airport. if this picture is accurate, that place went tits up as well.

I wouldn't bother with Pizza Hut when there are usually better and cheaper pizza places around. There used to be one in central Leuven, but it disappeared a couple of years ago. You don't go to Pizza Hut when you're a college student on a budget.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Poor UP, always forgotten. That actually happens fairly often, mapmakers never seem to know if it's part of Wisconsin, Canada or Michigan, so sometimes they just leave it off entirely.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lycus posted:

I didn't realize either, but it kinda makes sense. I mean the two cultural poles of pizza are Chicago and New York, both places that cowboys will laugh at you for getting your salsa from.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pizza Hut is garbage food. And not the good kind like you want.

I like the UP. It's sleepy and pretty.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

System Metternich posted:

Related:

Countries with a Starbucks

These two will never set foot in glorious Italy, birthplace of pizza and espresso :italy:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sinestro posted:

Guess the legend.

Edit: Forgot timg.

Don't leave us hanging, Sinestro...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ulvir posted:

There used to be at least a couple of PH places in the Czech Republic as well, but they eventually replaced them with KFCs. Pizza Hut isn't amazing, but not bad either and I kind of miss it from time to time.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

I think it looks like a tasty but completely unremarkable pizza. 7/10 is my verdict.

Now show me a proper Chicago-style pizza.

Chicago pizza straight from the source.

Map:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I love how you can see the highway system on so many maps like that McDonalds one.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The dine-in restaurant style Pizza Huts are actually pretty good but most of them are now fast food style places and are terrible. No idea why they changed most of them but I know there's a dine-in Pizza Hut outside Pittsburgh, haven't seen one anywhere else in a long time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

The pizza discussion I can understand, since there's at least a lot you can do with it (though the pizza that was posted seems to be a fairly standard one). I just think it's funny there is etiquette for eating processed rat meat.

I don't buy that they don't have a proper cuisine either, it's just that they always seem to focus on the fast food. What about, I don't know, clam chowder or turkey-based dishes?

Clam Chowder is extremely regional and Turkey is the definition of seasonal for most parts of the country.

And again, fast food commonly derives *from* local cuisine. Fried chicken is great, that's why there are so many fried chicken places in the South. Ditto with burritos and the like.

FatCow posted:

I love how you can see the highway system on so many maps like that McDonalds one.

Because in the Western US there's literally nothing there.

Like just imagine this but give or take a few mountains (and the greenery associated with it):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Mikl posted:

Related:

Countries with a Starbucks

These two will never set foot in glorious Italy, birthplace of pizza and espresso :italy:

I don't know if they've expanded, but for years the only Starbucks in Finland was in the Helsinki airport.