Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Torrent of Fire is posting the results for BAO online each round it's interesting to see what armies are in the top 20 and some are pretty surprising.

If that's your thing, I find it just interesting. Of course #1 is a Eldar player w/ Dark Eldar , but 2nd is a Tyranid Player.

People who "bandwagon" the best armies usually end up in the middle of the pack; I remember tons of IG with vendettas a couple years back followed by space wolves the year after (maybe I have the years reversed) at adepticon. The tyranid codex was generally panned the last two editions, so anyone who stuck with them tends to know what they are doing. Plus tyranids can do very powerful lists that generally are harder to counter in 7th... most people are gearing up against marines and eldar so it's not too surprising.
Not all picks in the codex are worth it, but tyranids can be vicious when played right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Von Humboldt posted:

Depending on your army, you could realistically run whatever you want for Bloodletters, as long as it packs a sword and looks cool. You could try a bunch of Skeletons - it's rad looking, and you can go "I am not summoning these dudes from the Warp, I am literally ripping them from the ground."

Is it for a Khorne army, or allied with any other God or CSM Warband?

Paint them red.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I didn't take any pics of the Knights versus Tau game last time. The shop is called Shoreline Minis, it's located in BFE where the rent is cheap, store is pretty great. I bought the Eldar psychic cards and was amazed by how Mind War and Eldritch Storm are even more boned than before. Glad I bought them, though. Wanted to get the generic mission objective cards but they were out of stock.

Here's the four (I think I said three? before) Knights:

Marbo snuck up behind me, too:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It looks like Blood Talons were too powerful when only one army had them, so GW had to give them to Space Wolves, too.
Greeat, let's hope they actually fix them this time around though because infinite attacks as long as you kept killing models was just plain stupid since similar models like Old One Eye could only ever generate more free attacks on the initial dice roll.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

LordAba posted:

People who "bandwagon" the best armies usually end up in the middle of the pack; I remember tons of IG with vendettas a couple years back followed by space wolves the year after (maybe I have the years reversed) at adepticon. The tyranid codex was generally panned the last two editions, so anyone who stuck with them tends to know what they are doing. Plus tyranids can do very powerful lists that generally are harder to counter in 7th... most people are gearing up against marines and eldar so it's not too surprising.
Not all picks in the codex are worth it, but tyranids can be vicious when played right.

Yeah I made the prediction it'd be Eldar, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids as the top three at the end of the tournament.

Tyranids are actually a good army, Skyblights really difficult to deal with and Dakka Tyrants flying are as well.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I made the prediction it'd be Eldar, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids as the top three at the end of the tournament.

Tyranids are actually a good army, Skyblights really difficult to deal with and Dakka Tyrants flying are as well.
Thanks for posting that link, cool to see.

And the Eldar player just lost to the Nids, which means that, after points shake out, Nids could potentially win the day.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
I played my third game against Necrons on friday night. It was also my third resounding loss. I play space marines and i'm limited to fielding what i have painted up at the moment. This is essentially 2x10 man tac squads, a predator, 3xbikes with an attack bike, landraider crusader, 5x terminators+lysander and a venerable dred.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with these bastards? They seem pretty BS to me, but its not like i can find anyone on the net who's up in arms about them.

Things im having trouble with include:
-Not being able to assault because i cant deal with the volume of rapid fire shooting
-Vehicles getting destroyed by glancing hits in one round of shooting(Lost a landraider in one round of shooting from 10 immortals)
-Doomscythe deathray

Im taking some steps to rememdy the situation. I have a storm raven, 2x storm talons and a thunderfire cannon on the way. Hopefully this will mean i can stand back and shoot him a bit easier. Im thinking of getting some scouts so I can outrange him for longer. Also thinking of getting another dreadnought and runing two rifleman dreads(unfortunatley the cost of autocannons is a bit prohibitive here)

Am I going in the right direction?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Necrons are very good in their small engagement range but they have almost nothing that can fire past 36" and for the most part they don't hold up very well in close combat.

So either bombard them from a distance or rush into CC and wipe them out.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

Thanks for posting that link, cool to see.

And the Eldar player just lost to the Nids, which means that, after points shake out, Nids could potentially win the day.

I actually forgot to post the link.

http://www.torrentoffire.com/5345/live-updates-bay-area-open

Kind of interesting, bored at work and paying attention to it talking to people online about it.

Tyranids should be Top 2 spots after this round.

Speckled Jim posted:

I played my third game against Necrons on friday night. It was also my third resounding loss. I play space marines and i'm limited to fielding what i have painted up at the moment. This is essentially 2x10 man tac squads, a predator, 3xbikes with an attack bike, landraider crusader, 5x terminators+lysander and a venerable dred.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with these bastards? They seem pretty BS to me, but its not like i can find anyone on the net who's up in arms about them.

Things im having trouble with include:
-Not being able to assault because i cant deal with the volume of rapid fire shooting
-Vehicles getting destroyed by glancing hits in one round of shooting(Lost a landraider in one round of shooting from 10 immortals)
-Doomscythe deathray

Im taking some steps to rememdy the situation. I have a storm raven, 2x storm talons and a thunderfire cannon on the way. Hopefully this will mean i can stand back and shoot him a bit easier. Im thinking of getting some scouts so I can outrange him for longer. Also thinking of getting another dreadnought and runing two rifleman dreads(unfortunatley the cost of autocannons is a bit prohibitive here)

Am I going in the right direction?

Gravguns work surprisingly well against them, so do space marine bikes. Centurions are decent.

The whole army has a 3+ save so Gravguns work well.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 27, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I actually forgot to post the link.

http://www.torrentoffire.com/5345/live-updates-bay-area-open

Kind of interesting, bored at work and paying attention to it talking to people online about it.

Tyranids should be Top 2 spots after this round.
I can't wait to see the army lists come out. Likely Skyblight for the Nids, but there were Dark Angels and Blood Angels in the top at the start of Round 2, and they must have alright setups.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm curious about that Imperial Knight army with no allies. What the hell did he take , a Baneblade and a bunch of Knights?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm curious about that Imperial Knight army with no allies. What the hell did he take , a Baneblade and a bunch of Knights?
He could have just ran 5 Knights. That's a valid Knight army, I believe, and sits neatly at 1850 if you take the regular variant. It's a lot of hull points to deal with, and since they can't die in one shot (as exploding only forces extra HP damage) and they pack that shield, a lot of armies simply can't kill them via shooting or lack the means to block and/or tarpit them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He may have just taken 4 Knights and a Imperial Lord of War. 5 Knights is a lot to deal with though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Knights don't have a LoW slot, and there aren't any LoW with the Knights faction regardless.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
4 knights can make a 1500 point army and 5 knights can be 1850.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Knights don't have a LoW slot, and there aren't any LoW with the Knights faction regardless.

They allowed it for BAO, you could have one of the following, ally detachment, formation, or LOW.

Yeah, so it came out to 2 Tyranid players and a Space Marine w/ Imperial Knight ally as the top 3.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Round 3 Results of BAO - Top 12 (all of which are W-W-W.)
Nids
Nids
SM/Knights
Crons
Taucrons
Tau/Orks
SM/IG
GK/SM
SM
Taudar
Knights
Chaos Daemons

Pretty interesting mix, though not surprised about the Necrons or Tau. There were several Eldar primary players in the top 24 or so last round, but they lost. Really want to see lists.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah hopefully they don't match up the Tyranids vs. Tyranids but that probably will be what happens.

Edit:

The army break down is interesting only 5 Ork Players, 2 Imperial Knights guys who one is in the LLL and the other is a sweep.

13 Eldar and 26 Space Marine armies.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 27, 2014

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

ghetto wormhole posted:

So either bombard them from a distance or rush into CC and wipe them out.

The CC option is what ive been trying, but getting close enough is the problem. Deepstriking just involves me wearing a full round of rapid fire shooting. I got the land raider so i could drive up there. 250 points is a pretty hefty tax to pay for actually getting a squad of termies into close combat. Especially when it gets glanced to death so easily. I think ill just stand back and shoot him, that should be more frustrating for him and satisfying for me

Bonus question. If i drive a rhino alongside or in front of a landraider does that constitute a cover save for the landraider?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I will tell you where you can rock em and sock em is with Space Marine Librarians, Necrons have ZERO Psychic Ability so that's a option is going Psyker Heavy with Tiggy Stardust and a King poo poo of Asskicking Mountain Space Marine Leader.

I wouldn't take a Landraider against a Necron Army as your going to watch it die very fast.Space Marine Bike Squads as their T5 and that ignores the little poo poo some what and Centurions with Grav Guns.

If you keep getting it from the Flyers take the cheapo anti-air unit that Space Marines have.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 27, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Speckled Jim posted:

The CC option is what ive been trying, but getting close enough is the problem. Deepstriking just involves me wearing a full round of rapid fire shooting. I got the land raider so i could drive up there. 250 points is a pretty hefty tax to pay for actually getting a squad of termies into close combat. Especially when it gets glanced to death so easily. I think ill just stand back and shoot him, that should be more frustrating for him and satisfying for me

Bonus question. If i drive a rhino alongside or in front of a landraider does that constitute a cover save for the landraider?

It's better to spend one turn getting shot after deepstriking than than spending 3 turns trying to walk across the board while getting shot at. Also, If you're playing mechanised against Necrons you're going to be in for a rough time. A full Warrior squad in rapid fire range will glance a Land Raider to death on average dice.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

It's better to spend one turn getting shot after deepstriking than than spending 3 turns trying to walk across the board while getting shot at. Also, If you're playing mechanised against Necrons you're going to be in for a rough time. A full Warrior squad in rapid fire range will glance a Land Raider to death on average dice.

A full squad is 20 guys? On foot? Against an army that can take a thunderfire cannon? Seriously, take a thunderfire cannon.

Though necrons can run fliers pretty well, along with the AV13 wall of doom. Though the changes to vehicle damage chart makes me want to try running a Monolith again.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Still, being able to belt a huge distance across the board and drop off a half-squad of 'Crons that can still shoot that turn still pack a punch. Gauss weapons are a pain, but at least they're an IK-counter.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That necron codex has been strong for a few editions now (I can't believe its been so long). Lots of annoying little tricks that still work pretty well.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

LordAba posted:

A full squad is 20 guys? On foot? Against an army that can take a thunderfire cannon? Seriously, take a thunderfire cannon.

Yep thunderfire cannon is already in the mail. Standing back and outranging him is the sensible option i suppose. His only real reach is the doom scythe. So, until he gets some more units, I should be able to deal with that using my own flyers. AV11 may as well be made of paper.

Whats a good way to deal with wraiths? Shear volume of fire before they get into CC?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

High Strength Value Pie Plates to instagib them. Anything above ST8 insta kills them. They don't have Re Animation Protocol. They'll straight up brutalize most units you have that are HtH due to the fact they reduce initiative and have ST6.

Large volumes of fire at ST5 and above works as well. They're fast but have no shooting. If he's accompanying them with a DLord to tank Insta kills then they'll be difficult to deal with. It's why they call it Wraith Star.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 27, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I played Space Marines for the first time in a few months today and almost laughed at how many wounds Thunderfire Cannons put out. Makes me want to get a couple Wyverns for my guard force.

Von Humboldt posted:

Round 3 Results of BAO - Top 12 (all of which are W-W-W.)
Nids
Nids
SM/Knights
Crons
Taucrons
Tau/Orks
SM/IG
GK/SM
SM
Taudar
Knights
Chaos Daemons

Pretty interesting mix, though not surprised about the Necrons or Tau. There were several Eldar primary players in the top 24 or so last round, but they lost. Really want to see lists.

I'm really surprised to see GK and Orks up here. Nids being 1st and 2nd place is awesome too. Pretty surprised there's only 1 Eldar player in the top 12 though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is the first "real" 7th edition tourney so I think people are payin a little more attention to it, after this is NOVA I think.

After the 4th round things will probably settle in and that will seperate a ton of armies out of the top 20 and be more accurate overall as some armies may have gotten a bad draw , bad game, etc..

It depends but it actually benefits you more as a player to not just dominate the opposing player in the 1st 3 rounds. There's some "gaming" to the brackets but most places are like " don't game the brackets", but you can do it. Not like I would just saying with brackets and set ups like this it's pretty much okay to go 3 WWW in the first round with lower points then dominate the later rounds than dominate the earlier rounds.

There's math and poo poo involved. I'm sure the same principle applies to 40k to any other bracket system swiss pairing.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 27, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

This is the first "real" 7th edition tourney so I think people are payin a little more attention to it, after this is NOVA I think.

They're also running modified 7th edition rules with the objective cards and secondary objective scoring VPs, so while it's certainly a nice surprise to see such a diverse top 12 list, there can also be a margin for people who just played to the objectives better, or got luckier with the card draws.

Incidentally, feel free to ask panascope and hixson about conserving your strength and playing to late game objectives. :hawksin:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

koreban posted:

They're also running modified 7th edition rules with the objective cards and secondary objective scoring VPs, so while it's certainly a nice surprise to see such a diverse top 12 list, there can also be a margin for people who just played to the objectives better, or got luckier with the card draws.

Incidentally, feel free to ask panascope and hixson about conserving your strength and playing to late game objectives. :hawksin:

As long as he's DFL and not me I don't care about the outcome.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Slimnoid posted:

Paint them red.

OH MY gently caress this just gave me the best idea ever: a Castlevania-themed Necron army. Why did I never see it before? loving Bloody Skeletons keep getting back up. :yohoho: I could convert up some classical movie monsters as the MCs they get to use as C'tan shards, and the librarian from SotN as a counts-as Trazyn. Oh, wow...I may need to make this a cooperative project with some buddies who know more about Necrons and Castlevania by our powers combined.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

koreban posted:

They're also running modified 7th edition rules

What did they change? Is it a major tweak or just small stuff to help things go smoothly?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Fix posted:

Was this already posted? I don't remember it.

Oh my god I love this :allears: It's basically the old pewter Bjorn but on all the steroids.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can Knight-Lancers be a IK warlord? The codex only says 'one Knight must be nominated' and doesn't specify what kind.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Ugh I love this new space wolf transport ship. I know some people in this thread hated it, but I like the idea of a space longboat rolling up and dropping out some space vikings, and it looks like something that could exist in 40k and accomplish that purpose.

I still haven't opened my stormclaw box, but I'm really tempted to buy one of the new kits and make a small allied group that I'd never use but could have fun painting and pushing around on my desk making airplane noises.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

mmj posted:

What did they change? Is it a major tweak or just small stuff to help things go smoothly?

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/bay-area-open/warhammer-40000-championships-rules-scenarios-and-prizes/

Mostly just a mix of the missions with secondary objectives and a bunch of tweaks.

There's a rule addendum that really drills down the needed FAQ issues for all phases and most specific issues within armies in general that's located:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4VC3WZFH6Hnek1leHN4anRncDg/edit?usp=sharing

high six
Feb 6, 2010

drgnvale posted:

Ugh I love this new space wolf transport ship. I know some people in this thread hated it, but I like the idea of a space longboat rolling up and dropping out some space vikings, and it looks like something that could exist in 40k and accomplish that purpose.

I still haven't opened my stormclaw box, but I'm really tempted to buy one of the new kits and make a small allied group that I'd never use but could have fun painting and pushing around on my desk making airplane noises.

Should put a big dragon figurehead on the front of the flier.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Can Knight-Lancers be a IK warlord? The codex only says 'one Knight must be nominated' and doesn't specify what kind.

Is there a non 30k Lancer?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Is there a non 30k Lancer?

yup. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lancer.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

high six posted:

Should put a bad dragon figurehead on the front of the flier.

Fixed this for you

• Locked thread