Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Black Stones posted:

So, I've got a bit of an issue with local game store's and looking for an opinion of where I should continue my shopping after an experience I had yesterday.

There's three stores in my city, two are pretty good places, and one I'll never visit because it looks like poo poo, and the owner pretty much just uses the place for M:tG. Out of the other two places, the first one has been around longer and I personally know the owner. His prices are sometimes slightly higher than #2 or the same, he never does discounts (as far as I know of), and he has strung me along on gaming stuff that never got off the ground (said they were going to do Game of Thrones Card Game nights again which never happened). However, he has never screwed up on a order of mine. Store #2 is closer to my work, nicely lit and has a pretty good selection, does occasional discounts on stuff and has pretty nice staff. However, they gently caress up my orders, like, a lot. I've had it twice where something I've ordered made it's way to the shelf where I managed to scoop it up before it was sold (got a 10% discount on one game the second time it happened). However, yesterday I went in and I had been bugging (came in 2-3 times in about a month and a half period) him for a month about Lost Legacy because I really wanted to give that game a shot and has asked to have it ordered in for me. He got it in, and then promptly sold it. He was apologetic and said I'd get a discount and he ordered a new copy for next week. It kind of pisses me off that he puts names into a computer, and then never ever bothers to check it. I don't even know why he takes people's info.

Online is an option, but generally it's a bit more expensive after shipping and the price is the same, if not a little higher (I live in Canada).

This is just how a game store operates. Whenever I ordered something in the owner basically took it as "this thing is popular" and would put it up on the shelves as soon as it came in if I didn't go there every day. They don't have great margins on stuff like boardgames and usually sell them for the nerd cred; their real money comes from Magic Cards. If your not they type to hang out at the store every day your poo poo is going up on the shelves; ether deal with that or order from Starlit Citadel (amazon.ca is a rip off for anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The Black Stones posted:

So, I've got a bit of an issue with local game store's and looking for an opinion of where I should continue my shopping after an experience I had yesterday.

There's three stores in my city, two are pretty good places, and one I'll never visit because it looks like poo poo, and the owner pretty much just uses the place for M:tG. Out of the other two places, the first one has been around longer and I personally know the owner. His prices are sometimes slightly higher than #2 or the same, he never does discounts (as far as I know of), and he has strung me along on gaming stuff that never got off the ground (said they were going to do Game of Thrones Card Game nights again which never happened). However, he has never screwed up on a order of mine. Store #2 is closer to my work, nicely lit and has a pretty good selection, does occasional discounts on stuff and has pretty nice staff. However, they gently caress up my orders, like, a lot. I've had it twice where something I've ordered made it's way to the shelf where I managed to scoop it up before it was sold (got a 10% discount on one game the second time it happened). However, yesterday I went in and I had been bugging (came in 2-3 times in about a month and a half period) him for a month about Lost Legacy because I really wanted to give that game a shot and has asked to have it ordered in for me. He got it in, and then promptly sold it. He was apologetic and said I'd get a discount and he ordered a new copy for next week. It kind of pisses me off that he puts names into a computer, and then never ever bothers to check it. I don't even know why he takes people's info.

Online is an option, but generally it's a bit more expensive after shipping and the price is the same, if not a little higher (I live in Canada).

Tried Starlit Citadel for online orders? Based in Vancouver, free shipping in Canada for $150+ orders.

That being said, do you use table space to game at any of those places? If not, I wouldn't feel bad about going online for better prices and service.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The Black Stones posted:

I've never actually had a seriously bad experience at a FLGS, but I still feel compelled to butt in. Take it with a grain of salt.

As much as it is important to support FLGSs, you can't support them if they don't sell what you want to buy. If he doesn't have enough respect for your time and money to offer decent customer service, then it's time to stop giving him that money.

If you want to give them one last chance, next week when you go in to get that game (assuming he doesn't screw up again), after the money has been exchanged, politely but firmly tell him that you want to remain a customer but you won't tolerate having your time (and money, by way of gasoline) wasted again. You could also do that upon the next ordering from him, if you want to drive it home when he's doing it so he doesn't forget. I wouldn't specifically indicate the alternatives, because it's probably a little too threatening, and frankly even he must be cognizant of the competition of the internet. I also would be careful about doing it in front of other prospective customers, which also might elicit a very bad reaction.

Also, what FLGS 1 did to you isn't cool either. Focusing on selling someone the singular item with empty promises just isn't conducive with making long term customers, and your actions should reflect that. I would suggest ordering online or elsewhere until you make up some proportion of the difference between the stuff they sold you that they failed to support. (So if it's $40 bucks in person, and $48 bucks online, and let's say you want deprive them of 200% percent of your lost investment and you spent $80 on cards they don't support, then you're $48 out of $160 before you are allowed to give them money again.) That's kind of a lot of work and is seriously vindictive, but you should expect value for your money. Also, this isn't the type of thing you need to bring to their attention, unless you really want to after the fact.

Basically, like anything else, if they don't hold up their end of the bargain, stop giving them money.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So in lieu of Tales, what's a good co-op zombie game? Also the topic of an island survival game was brought up as well, Robinson Crusoe is the only one I'm familiar with through this thread and BGG so unless there are others how is that?

The closest thing to a good pure coop zombie game currently on the market is probably Zombicide, but the buy-in's pretty steep for what you get. Last Night on Earth is a) bad and b) one vs. many rather than pure coop. And I think most of the other zombie games are more free for all.

I hear good things about Carnival Zombie but that's out of print and I haven't been able to play it to verify. And Dead of Winter might be interesting (though it sounds like it's emphasizing traitor roles and hidden objectives that make it not really a cooperative experience), but it's not quite out yet.

You're going to have more coop fun outside the zombie theme, though. Like with Robinson Crusoe, which is brutal and fantastic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Toshimo posted:

Now that 100% of the expansions have been released, I was gonna make my own, so I'd definitely plan for BM/Tournament/Knight/Ruin/Madman/Spoils/Mercenary piles. Oh dear, that's a lot of piles.

I don't think Knights need their own pile, so you can reduce the number of piles by 1.

But then you need to increase it again for Young Witch. (And Platinum/Colony/Potion if you haven't counted those yet.)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
And keep in mind that the door isn't completely closed on another Dominion expansion, if a publisher were to ask for one. Hell, just today I had to print a new tab and move some cards around in my boxes to make room for Prince.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

We just got our hands on Chaos in the Old World- are there any particularly fiddly rules that usually trip people up/get missed?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

apostateCourier posted:

We just got our hands on Chaos in the Old World- are there any particularly fiddly rules that usually trip people up/get missed?

No matter how many dial advancement tokens you earn during a turn, you can only tick twice maximum. Anyone who has at least one gets one dial tick, the person with the most (no ties allowed) gets one extra.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I figured here might be the place to ask. Someone posted this image in the GBS Monopoly thread:

Does anyone know where this comes from? Is there more to this game or a higher resolution image of the board anywhere? I want to play this game but I think it may just be a joke. If there's a higher res picture where I can make out writing I could cobble together something myself.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just searched "Ultimate Monopoly" and found a BGG thread that seems related.

I imagine it would be fun and interesting for anywhere between one half and one tenth of a game, depending on how many terrible house rules you use.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It appears that there are alternate routes between rings, so it kind of eliminates the whole aspect of monopoly. Nobody pays rent, everyone buys property. Games are now 6+ hours.

Don't try to put glitter on a turd.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

apostateCourier posted:

Units can only be played in regions containing or adjacent to another unit of the same color. Cards can be played anywhere.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Rutibex posted:

I figured here might be the place to ask. Someone posted this image in the GBS Monopoly thread:

Does anyone know where this comes from? Is there more to this game or a higher resolution image of the board anywhere? I want to play this game but I think it may just be a joke. If there's a higher res picture where I can make out writing I could cobble together something myself.

That's actually thread favourite Talisman.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

I just searched "Ultimate Monopoly" and found a BGG thread that seems related.

I imagine it would be fun and interesting for anywhere between one half and one tenth of a game, depending on how many terrible house rules you use.

Oh awesome thanks! I tried to use Tineye to find it with no luck. This will do nicely.

Lord Frisk posted:

It appears that there are alternate routes between rings, so it kind of eliminates the whole aspect of monopoly. Nobody pays rent, everyone buys property. Games are now 6+ hours.

Don't try to put glitter on a turd.

I plan to modify the rules to make an alternate win condition than just "bankrupt everyone". Maybe make the properties worth victory points and have the game end when the bank runs out of money.

Bubble-T posted:

That's actually thread favourite Talisman.

:haw: This is exactly what jumped into my head when I saw it. I think I'm going to add character classes and magic items Talisman style. "Inside Trader" can always pay $100 less for properties, "real estate Agent" can move in ether direction, "capitalist" starts with extra money but pays more when they land on tax spaces. That sort of thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's cute, you think the capitalist pays MORE taxes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I posted about it here before, but I think that acquiring victory points from a common pool instead of taking rent from other players would improve Monopoly vastly. At that point it would be down to balancing so the game ended reliably in 40 minutes or so. I've also thought of a mechanic where there's a non-layer pawn piece which moves around the board along with the players. When it's made 4 complete circuits (or whatever) the game ends. You could spice things up by giving players ways to move the pawn forwards or backwards... maybe have some sort of interaction when the pawn lands on owned property.

The other side of this is: why bother when there are so many good games that don't require any effort to make better.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

That's cute, you think the capitalist pays MORE taxes.

Well I want to make it at least seem balanced. Having the Capitalist pay no taxes, start with more money and half the property at the beginning wouldn't be very fun.

sector_corrector posted:

The other side of this is: why bother when there are so many good games that don't require any effort to make better.

I like making games, I donno it's a hobby.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rutibex posted:

Well I want to make it at least seem balanced. Having the Capitalist pay no taxes, start with more money and half the property at the beginning wouldn't be very fun.

It's Monopoly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Make the capitalist start with 1000 VP that none of the other players are informed about until the game ends. This means he automatically wins the game and it's all for show, but the others players thought it was fair so they don't complain until it's too late.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Well, it would definitely be more in the spirit of the original version of Monopoly.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm pretty sure someone (possibly me) has previously posted this variant where the Banker is a player as an exercise in making it an even more accurate Capitalism simulator.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lawen posted:

I'm pretty sure someone (possibly me) has previously posted this variant where the Banker is a player as an exercise in making it an even more accurate Capitalism simulator.
I thought the bank always winning was already implied.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lawen posted:

This article is bunk they don't even know how to play Monopoly right:

quote:

Each player starts with only $500. That's a nice bit of cash, but it's going to be expensive to build your capitalist empire. Baltic Avenue will cost you $80, States Avenue is $140, Atlantic is $260, and that leaves you just $20. Even if you're the first to land on Boardwalk you won't
be able to afford the $400 price tag. Another $200 from "passing Go" is not going to last that long. You need more money.

Of course you can't afford it that's the point; then it goes up for auction and someone gets it for less than $400. Jeez read the rules people!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Make the capitalist start with 1000 VP that none of the other players are informed about until the game ends. This means he automatically wins the game and it's all for show, but the others players thought it was fair so they don't complain until it's too late.

You should run for office or be in management.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
(Monopoly) When someone lands on your property, you have to pay THEM rent, but owning (unmortgaged) properties is the only way to make VP at the end of the game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Schizoguy posted:

(Monopoly) When someone lands on your property, you have to pay THEM rent, but owning (unmortgaged) properties is the only way to make VP at the end of the game?
How would you adjust for everyone constantly swinging around Go and gets more and more money into the system? And would that be inflation, or deflation?

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

The Black Stones posted:

Starlit Citadel's been mentioned. I've had great results with Meeplemart and Great Boardgames (formerly German Boardgames). Meeplemart offers flat $9.95 shipping within Canada. Great Boardgames offers $10 flat rate shipping within Ontario and Quebec, $12 to the rest of Canada, up to 30 kg. They also offer some pretty nice discounts.

For extra cheapness, I'll get together with a couple friends to do a group order and split the shipping.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Since we're talking about where to buy games, could someone tell me where I should buy my games if I'm from Denmark? I prefer having my rules and other text in English, which sucks because Germany seems cheap as hell for games :(

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Dumnbunny posted:

... flat $9.95 shipping ... $10 flat rate shipping ... $12 to the rest of Canada ...

For extra cheapness, I'll get together with a couple friends to do a group order and split the shipping.

Group order to split the grand sum of $12?

When I look at the $240.66 Shipping & Handling I shared with a friend on our last shipment...

BonHair posted:

Since we're talking about where to buy games, could someone tell me where I should buy my games if I'm from Denmark? I prefer having my rules and other text in English, which sucks because Germany seems cheap as hell for games :(

I investigated this A LOT, and found that instead of buying from European stores and paying euro, who never really do much discounts on anything you want (aside limited time offers on very specific games), paying much more for shipping and buying from US stores with dollar at 30% discount makes for much cheaper purchases. This is compounded by the value of euro vs dollar.

I buy together with a friend once every 6 months or so and got into a friendly talking terms with the shop that I regularly buy enough to have him pack things together to save on shipping. That happened after I noticed that 2/3 of all the boxes I'm buying are filled with air and I can save a lot by including smaller stuff inside those boxes instead. For example the order I mentioned the shipping of above contained these: http://p.blicky.net/Uh6MdDnnOT39F4KjzCfrTb0wgSSloATf

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 27, 2014

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

BonHair posted:

Boardgameguru.co.uk is cheap but doesn't have everything. It's the first shop I check always.
Other than that Amazon is often good.
Local Danish shops are often DKK 100+ more expensive than Boardgameguru.co.uk

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

You probably already know that Kelz0r.dk one of the cheapest webshops in Denmark.
365games.co.uk doesn't have a very large selection, but you only pay 10DKK for shipping. I use amazon.de a lot after amazon.co.uk stopped with the super saver option, but only for games language independent games. Buy a game there, print an english rulebook, save millions.
Other than that, get on germangames.dk/forum if you aren't already and buy a bunch of used games.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Poison Mushroom posted:

How would you adjust for everyone constantly swinging around Go and gets more and more money into the system? And would that be inflation, or deflation?

I'm confused. What's the problem? Money comes into the system from Go, but at the same time, money leaves the system whenever someone buys a property or gets taxed.

The game would need to end at some point. Use a piece as a pace car, move it exactly five spaces on each of its 'turns', the game is over when the pace car does x laps? Then you count up the total rent on all of the properties you own (including monopolies and developments)?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dumnbunny posted:

Starlit Citadel's been mentioned. I've had great results with Meeplemart and Great Boardgames (formerly German Boardgames). Meeplemart offers flat $9.95 shipping within Canada. Great Boardgames offers $10 flat rate shipping within Ontario and Quebec, $12 to the rest of Canada, up to 30 kg. They also offer some pretty nice discounts.

That is a good plan about sharing shipping if I ever order and they do to. Thanks. I actually have used Great Boardgames in the past, and I like them. It's just that with the game + shipping they were pretty much right close to my local store so I started to use them, but depending on what happens I might just revert.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Tash Kalar is really cool and gives me a weird Scrabble vibe in the way that it's basically pieces on a checkerboard with bonus tiles scoring points.

I'm not sure my wife was ready for this level of direct confrontation though, the rest of our gaming is pretty 'hands off' euro style games and she keeps asking why I'm so mean all the time. She conceded in disgust when I killed her legendary token.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, Myth. I like lots of models, but I heard the gameplay / rules aren't as good and that the rulebook kind of sucks. Would it still be worth picking up? Did the kickstarter exclusive items add a lot of variety (if so, I probably won't get it).

I already have Super Dungeon Explore, which scratches that dungeon crawl itch, and Myth certainly looks interesting but I am on the fence of picking it up.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

LordAba posted:

So, Myth. I like lots of models, but I heard the gameplay / rules aren't as good and that the rulebook kind of sucks. Would it still be worth picking up? Did the kickstarter exclusive items add a lot of variety (if so, I probably won't get it).

I already have Super Dungeon Explore, which scratches that dungeon crawl itch, and Myth certainly looks interesting but I am on the fence of picking it up.

My feeling from playing it a few times is it's not worth it unless you play D&D 4e and really want to spend $50 on some tile sets and nice looking minis for your RPG sessions. The first couple of times my group tried to decode the rules from the book were really dire. The rules weren't just confusing and occasionally missing crucial info, but the quest cards themselves were missing important information, like how to set up and resolve them in some cases. They improved the rulebook online and put out errata for the quest cards, but the rulebook still isn't that great and frankly the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. The card mix for the heroes seems light on attacks, so some turns you might just be moving your guy a couple of squares and hoping you draw more interesting cards on your next turn. The movement system seems pretty dumb too. You roll a different number of dice for your attack cards depending on how far your guy moves in that round of combat, but there's no structure to the turns, so if you play a card before you move your guy, apparently you're on the honor system for how far you can move your guy that turn? And you need to play movement cards to move than a couple of squares, which then screws up your ability to attack so again you have whole turns consisting of moving a few squares and hoping the monsters get close enough for you to do something interesting on your next turn. As far as the Kickstartered stuff goes, it seems to mostly consist of minis that are teasers for future expansions, like player figures for classes which have no card decks or rules for playing included in the base set.

TLDR, Myth is a poo poo game with nice looking bits. Descent 2nd edition is way better and you should get that instead, or one of the D&D board games if you have to have a dungeon crawler that's fully co-op.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Counterpoint; Super Dungeon Explore is poo poo so if you like that Myth will probably make you happy as well.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

I have a much more positive impression of the gameplay than Servoret (with fixed rulebook taken into account), but I will note although most of the Kickstarter extras aren't actually -exclusive-, they do represent a dramatic multiplier on variety and most of them will be additional purchases for people who didn't back the Kickstarter. Also, they're not available yet, even to backers. (Though it sounds like they're on the boat, so that'll change soonish.)

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I heard that Myth is a collection of a lot of nice ideas that don't work well together and is more about selling you more miniatures than anything else. That even some of the stuff in the core box has miniatures that you are supposed to buy later when they are released and even while fighting simplest monsters you may ran out of miniatures and start using placeholders if you don't kill them all fast enough. This is all hearsay of course, from reviews I watched and forum comments but with the hefty price tag of $90.00 it has, I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey thread! Whats the goonpinion on Battlecon: Devastation of Indines? It seems up my alley, I really like concise, replayable "match" style games for 2 players.

I also rolled my eyes at Warmhammer Diskwars when I first saw it advertised, but skimming back over the past 10 pages or so of the thread there seems to be a lot of love for it. I might have to give it a shot. Someone mentioned having a textured surface to play on, any suggestions for that surface? Felt?

• Locked thread