Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
My gen 1 Nexus 7 died totally now. If im happy with that is it a simple case of get a 2013? Anything I should be looking at being bad on the new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There's a rare case of getting one that has poo poo battery life. Like 3-4 hours of screen on time. Not sure how often that crops up, but it's happened to a person or two in this thread. Other than that, nothing I can think of and it's a fantastic upgrade over the 2012.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like Nexus 7's have a high failure rate after a year or two - why exactly is this and why do people keep recommending them?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

It seems like Nexus 7's have a high failure rate after a year or two - why exactly is this and why do people keep recommending them?

The 2012 Nexus 7 was a piece of garbage, hardware-wise. It was bottom dollar, rushed to market, and really poorly QA'ed. However at the time, it was a one eyed man in the land of the blind sort of thing.

It paved the way for the 2013 model with is much more solid.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The 2013 Nexus 7 also has very well known touchscreen issues. These seem to be hardware based but you can minimize them by rooting and changing a few files. This is in almost every 2013 N7 to some degree and can mostly be seen if you are using the device flat on a surface but touching the screen. Could be a grounding issue.

And yes, a few 2013s have very poor battery life, I'm one of the people affected. This is also, apparently, a hardware issue.

Basically, the N7 has glaring issues that Google and Asus can't fix without rerelasing the device but its still an okay tablet.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My white 8gig 2012 Nexus 7 is still working great. It's slow when you switch users, but once it's switched over it's fine again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 2013 Nexus 7 also has very well known touchscreen issues. These seem to be hardware based but you can minimize them by rooting and changing a few files. This is in almost every 2013 N7 to some degree and can mostly be seen if you are using the device flat on a surface but touching the screen. Could be a grounding issue.

And yes, a few 2013s have very poor battery life, I'm one of the people affected. This is also, apparently, a hardware issue.

Basically, the N7 has glaring issues that Google and Asus can't fix without rerelasing the device but its still an okay tablet.

This was fixed in a patch.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

This was fixed in a patch.

Not all tablets were fixed and some still needed replacing or RMA.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
My wife wants a decent 10 inch android tablet at a decent price. Is there such a thing? I haven't been following so closely but it seems like it's been "nexus 7 or bust" for a while. Which doesn't help me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doghouse posted:

My wife wants a decent 10 inch android tablet at a decent price. Is there such a thing? I haven't been following so closely but it seems like it's been "nexus 7 or bust" for a while. Which doesn't help me.

There's the Nexus 10 but I don't think its been updated since 2012, right? I haven't heard of any new 10" tablets, it seems like no one is making them except Apple, all of the rage now is 8" - 9", is that correct?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Doghouse posted:

The LG G Pad 8.3 is probably the biggest tablet you'll be able to get that's a good price and has good specs or there's the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) which has a high price but amazing specs.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
It would be pretty stupid of me to get excited about the Midpad right? Spec-wise it looks pretty good and even if I had to pay 300 for that I think I would still be on board.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doghouse posted:

So, honestly, the issue is that most people in the 10" Android tablet category are often better served with either an iPad (where tablet-focused apps are far more common) or an 11" Chromebook.

That's not to say that those two devices are better for everyone, but I think that's the trend. It also explains why Google is exploring more cross-platform integration with Android apps on Chrome and Chrome apps on Android.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So, honestly, the issue is that most people in the 10" Android tablet category are often better served with either an iPad (where tablet-focused apps are far more common) or an 11" Chromebook.

That's not to say that those two devices are better for everyone, but I think that's the trend. It also explains why Google is exploring more cross-platform integration with Android apps on Chrome and Chrome apps on Android.

Yea also that. They're may be a couple of good 10 inch android tablets but a lot of apps aren't designed for that form factor, it's either up scaled phone UI or up scaled 7 inch tablet UI.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 2013 Nexus 7 also has very well known touchscreen issues.....

I have fixed the touchscreen on several Nexus 7 2013 tablets by just re-seating the large ribbon cable connecting the top and bottom circuit boards and also re-seating the display connector on the top board.

The ribbon on the bottom board seems to be the biggest issue. On a few units I opened, the cable was sitting almost sideways in the connector.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

JoeMB posted:

Yea also that. They're may be a couple of good 10 inch android tablets but a lot of apps aren't designed for that form factor, it's either up scaled phone UI or up scaled 7 inch tablet UI.

I've used the nexus 10 for like 1 and half years and the apps are decent, because I don't know about anything better! Goodreads & facebook apps aren't worth installing though.

Forgot my 2A charger elsewhere, I suppose charging my N10 with a 1A charger only means that it charges slower, in other words nothing bad will happen :v:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Forgot my 2A charger elsewhere, I suppose charging my N10 with a 1A charger only means that it charges slower, in other words nothing bad will happen :v:
Correct.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Android Tablet Thread: "My wife wants a decent 10 inch"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joedevola posted:

Android Tablet Thread: "My wife wants a decent 10 inch"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=00zuDUNTeXM

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Anandtech has the shield tablet review up.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8296/the-nvidia-shield-tablet-review

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I read a couple of reviews and I guess its the next best thing to a new nexus.

I may get one for the stylus rather than gaming though (because we live in the future dammit).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a shame they saddled it with a screen that doesn't measure up to devices that have been out for a year. Battery life also doesn't look like it's going to be that big of a breakthrough.

I can appreciate the raw performance of the thing and it looks well built, but there's nothing all THAT compelling about it either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Has anybody figured out a fix for the nexus 7 slow or no charge issues? There's a huge rear end thread on the Google product forums about it, and it seems to be a problem on both the 2012 and 2013 models :psyduck:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Has anybody figured out a fix for the nexus 7 slow or no charge issues? There's a huge rear end thread on the Google product forums about it, and it seems to be a problem on both the 2012 and 2013 models :psyduck:

On the 2012 model the USB port is actually on a separate small PCB with a ribbon cable connecting it to the main board. Re-seating this ribbon cable usually solves the charging issue.

As for the 2013 model the included ASUS charger seems to die easily. The charger included with my 2013 lasted maybe 2 months before it stopped charging completely. It first started to charge slowly (the battery status screen would show "Charging (USB)" instead of "Charging (AC)" like it normally does). And then eventually stopped charging completely. It appears that the device is picky about chargers as well. I had to try a few different USB chargers I had laying around before I found one that worked and would charge at full speed. I have since switched to wireless charging...

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

stevewm posted:

On the 2012 model the USB port is actually on a separate small PCB with a ribbon cable connecting it to the main board. Re-seating this ribbon cable usually solves the charging issue.

As for the 2013 model the included ASUS charger seems to die easily. The charger included with my 2013 lasted maybe 2 months before it stopped charging completely. It first started to charge slowly (the battery status screen would show "Charging (USB)" instead of "Charging (AC)" like it normally does). And then eventually stopped charging completely. It appears that the device is picky about chargers as well. I had to try a few different USB chargers I had laying around before I found one that worked and would charge at full speed. I have since switched to wireless charging...

How much slower is wireless charging?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

JoeMB posted:

How much slower is wireless charging?

Its slower than wired, but not by much.

Mine shows a charge rate of around 750mAh with the screen off and on the wireless charger. The battery capacity is 3950mAh. So if it was completely exhausted it would take just over 5 hours to fully charge. I rarely ever get below 50% battery charge on mine, and it usually charges back to full in around 2 hours.

I usually keep my tablet on the charger pad when I am not using it, so it is always charged.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What's the consensus on batteries for tablets? Should you let them drop to 0% or just charge when needed or when the system tells you to?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're the same as phone batteries. Just charge them as needed and don't sperg over it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My 2013 charging port is just all janky so cables barely work. Wireless charging works fine for me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's the consensus on batteries for tablets? Should you let them drop to 0% or just charge when needed or when the system tells you to?

You should always avoid dropping any modern batteries to "0%", even though the safety mechanism built in mean it's still got a few percent left at that point. It simply doesn't accomplish anything besides risking cell damage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I let mine drop to 20% and then charge it back up. Leaving it at 100% all the time is bad too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No, leaving it at "100%" is fine because the battery hardware also knows how to properly handle not actually going all the way up to a real 100%. What's bad is the battery getting too hot for extended times, which may happen to occur from leaving it plugged in for a long time with other heat sources around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's some fuzziness between fine and ideal. Lithium ion batteries have a longer lifespan if they're stored no higher than the 60-70% range. That's why a lot of notebooks will have power management options that you can optimized for "plugged in" usage, they cap the max charge of the battery in that range. So, storing the device plugged in isn't going to decrease the number of overall charge cycles it survives since the charge-discharge cycle doesn't matter so much. However, the capacity of the battery may decrease at a slightly accelerated rate if the device is consistently kept at a charge level >80% for most of its life. This isn't "ruin your device" level of difference, but it does have an effect.

So, while I have no problem charging my device overnight, knowing it's going to spend a few hours near 100% sitting on the charger, I also won't charge it at my desk all day just so I always have a full device because that could potentially lower the lifespan of the battery.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think heating of the phone is why my Nexus 4 just barely lasts 4-5 hours when it's on mobile data when it used to be able to last for at LEAST 7 hours. Not only is the device reaching its two year mark, but every time I'm on mobile data, the device heats up if it's on the charger and I'm checking something real quick or it's playing music (like if I have it on the charger in the car while Google Music is playing).

How exactly should one read the battery screen on Android? I notice that Tablet Idle, Wifi, and G+ in that order take up more percentage than the actual screen. I take this to mean that G+ is doing something in the background keeping the tablet awake. Apparently, though it's been on for 3 days, the tablet's been awake for 2 days straight.

My guess is that the, say 11% of screen time is actually 11% of 100%. I want to know if my guess is correct and, if it's not, what is the proper way of reading it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The percentage next to each app is relative to the current used percentage

So if your battery is at 25% (i.e. 75% gone) and G+ says it has used "10%" then it has used .75 * .10 = 7.5% of the total power in your battery.

If you're at <5% battery left then you can effectively just treat them as straight percentages, yeah.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

The percentage next to each app is relative to the current used percentage

So if your battery is at 25% (i.e. 75% gone) and G+ says it has used "10%" then it has used .75 * .10 = 7.5% of the total power in your battery.

If you're at <5% battery left then you can effectively just treat them as straight percentages, yeah.

I'm understanding it now but I can understand why people dislike the battery screen on Android...is this how it is on say current iOS (which I never paid much attention to the percentage when I had an iOS device) or on Windows Phone?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think heating of the phone is why my Nexus 4 just barely lasts 4-5 hours when it's on mobile data when it used to be able to last for at LEAST 7 hours. Not only is the device reaching its two year mark, but every time I'm on mobile data, the device heats up if it's on the charger and I'm checking something real quick or it's playing music (like if I have it on the charger in the car while Google Music is playing).

Your battery is made up of a battery of cells. When one cell fails, the others have to work over time to "recharge" the bad cell. So in addition to powering your phone to play cat videos, it's now powering a black hole of a cell that can't provide enough voltage on it's own, which puts %max_load% on your battery just to do menial tasks. Which causes it to heat up, and li-ion batteries perform poorly above about 105F, which means the remaining cells are working overtime under bad conditions..

Probably switching to mobile data is the straw that breaks your battery's back. The increased load causes the other cells to fail faster as well due to fatigue, heat and increased charge cycling.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm understanding it now but I can understand why people dislike the battery screen on Android...is this how it is on say current iOS (which I never paid much attention to the percentage when I had an iOS device) or on Windows Phone?

It's just telling you the breakdown of your power use - think of it like a pie chart split between all the stuff that uses power.

What the full pie actually represents is the total power drain, but that's pretty much a separate thing. You can see how much battery you've used, and you can see how it's being relatively eaten up. It's better than having absolute values where you have to do mental calculation to work out that yep screen time is still accounting for 60% or whatever

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

stevewm posted:

Weird - I've never had any issue with mine. It will charge off the included charger, or the one from my G Pad, or the one from my dads old Samsung or even (more slowly) off a cheap 1A Belkin charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

stevewm posted:

Huh, I have the 2012 so I guess i'll need to :google: a guide and see if I can re-seat it when I work up the courage.