Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
In Regards to the BAO , Imperial Knight army that's doing so well.

He's playing the Adamantine Lance formation which let's you reroll your Ion Save, give you D3 Hammer of Wrath attacks and reroll charge distance. You just have to stay with in 3 inches of him of each other.

So he's wrecking shop with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Hollismason posted:

He's playing the Adamantine Lance formation which let's you reroll your Ion Save, give you D3 Hammer of Wrath attacks and reroll charge distance. You just have to stay with in 3 inches of him of each other.

Where are the rules for this formation? That sounds sweet.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

koreban posted:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/bay-area-open/warhammer-40000-championships-rules-scenarios-and-prizes/

Mostly just a mix of the missions with secondary objectives and a bunch of tweaks.

There's a rule addendum that really drills down the needed FAQ issues for all phases and most specific issues within armies in general that's located:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4VC3WZFH6Hnek1leHN4anRncDg/edit?usp=sharing

Nice, thanks. Gonna try to find those Nid lists then

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Rerollable invulnerable saves, 5 gargantuan creatures that reroll charge distances, and 30 AV13 hullpoints.

Sounds really fun to play against.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does to me, I love uphill battles in games.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How about battles where half or more of your units can do absolutely nothing to harm the enemy?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

AgentF posted:

How about battles where half or more of your units can do absolutely nothing to harm the enemy?

He doesn't have objective secured and only two out of 10 points are awarded for First Blood/Slay the Warlord. Managing the random card objectives and securing the objectives it calls for is how you'll maximize your chances against them. You just plainly won't blow up that many knights short of having some sort of crazy Necron MC/scarab list or similar gimmick.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Objectives? Those are for pussies, I just table everything and call it a day. :fella:

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

OH MY gently caress this just gave me the best idea ever: a Castlevania-themed Necron army. Why did I never see it before? loving Bloody Skeletons keep getting back up. :yohoho: I could convert up some classical movie monsters as the MCs they get to use as C'tan shards, and the librarian from SotN as a counts-as Trazyn. Oh, wow...I may need to make this a cooperative project with some buddies who know more about Necrons and Castlevania by our powers combined.

There are a load of models that could be used as a Belmont, too.

I keep running into this when I do image searches, some idiot made a topless mod for Dawn Of War. :cry:
:nws:
http://www.picturechaos.dk/Patchzer/Pictures/DOW/Which_Hunters/Which_Hunter.jpg
:nms:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 27, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I keep running into this when I do image searches, some idiot made a topless mod for Dawn Of War. :cry:
:nws:
http://www.picturechaos.dk/Patchzer/Pictures/DOW/Which_Hunters/Which_Hunter.jpg
:nms:

Well... Image searches are referenced with your previous searches to give you the best possible answer :v:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

drgnvale posted:

What is/was the rule for the towers, and how did 7th invalidate them?

It's basically the old 5E Shadow in the Warp rule; psykers within 36" have to take psychic tests on 3D6. It's certainly the quickest I've ever seen a rule made entirely useless.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, it's a nasty formation. It's in the newest release Waagh or something. One of those. The Tyranid player has Skyblight and the Barbed Hierodule or whatever it's called.

Still calling Tyranids to win the tourney.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

A simple question, but I still can't figure it out.

If my terminator shoots his cyclone missile system can he also use his storm bolter?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BeigeJacket posted:

If my terminator shoots his cyclone missile system can he also use his storm bolter?

In 40k yes, in 30k no.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How is 30k different from 40k? For instance, I play orks. Orks definitely existed back then, does that mean I have a functional 30k army or are the rules so different my codex won't work?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

BeigeJacket posted:

From C:SM, under Cyclone Missile Launcher: "A Terminator can fire his cyclone missile launcher in addition to his storm bolter."

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
30k isn't really a comprehensive ruleset, it's just a different army list with a different FOC.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Nothing stops you playing any 40k army against a 30k army.

They might not let you in your local GW but a lot of people don't play there.

I'm thinking of dual purposing some Space Wolves for 30/40k.

If I am able to buy a bunch of Sanctus Reach boxes I will post in the thread later in the week.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Still calling Tyranids to win the tourney.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do. Geoff Robinson is aka incontrol, the Starcraft 2 competitive/pro player. If ever there was a type of person who would have the autistic savant to pull it off, it'd be a Starcraft autist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ignite Memories posted:

How is 30k different from 40k? For instance, I play orks. Orks definitely existed back then, does that mean I have a functional 30k army or are the rules so different my codex won't work?

Its optimised for Marine on Marine combat. As such some of the special rules for each legion are absolutely devastating against non 30k armies. Also Primarchs.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

koreban posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they do. Geoff Robinson is aka incontrol, the Starcraft 2 competitive/pro player. If ever there was a type of person who would have the autistic savant to pull it off, it'd be a Starcraft autist.

Surprised to see he's actually competing. I watched him in a Dark Heresy webgame and he mentioned he was starting to collect and that was like <1 year ago.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

gently caress me. I JUST was in an Escalation Tournament, and having no supetheavies of my own my 1850 had 24 Brightlances - mostly on War Walkers. I went up against a 4 knight list and barely - barely - managed to down them all. I can't imagine 5 re-rolling saves, that's just loving nuts.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The formation is specifically 3 Knights, so at least there's that. They also re-roll charge distance and get D3 HoW hits.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hooray! whatever was screwed up in my camera's SD card slot is somehow fixed now. I can actually deliver decent photos of the models i just finished painting!

Most of my old nobz were made from black orcs and the regular boyz sprue, and I always thought they were a little dinky. As a new-codex present to myself, and as part of a larger 'make my army more visually clear and fluff-cohesive' project, I finally bought myself the nobz box. It was a gorgeous kit and I had a great time putting it together. Now i've got PK nobz for two squads of hard boyz, a squad of shoota boyz, tankbustaz and stormboyz.

These are the first models I have ever ever based! And I have about 2800 points of orks, so this is a pretty major milestone for me. My friends and I always used to play on a wasteland-inspired set of terrain, so I couldn't resist trying out the new cracked earth paint.

Evil suns hardboy nob, deff skulls hardboy nob, bad moons shootaboy nob, all with PK, bosspole and kombi-skorcha.

tankbusta nob and stormboy nob

the posing isn't QUITE as dynamic as the SB nob I had before, because the nobz legs are mostly pretty static looking, but the overall look of him is much improved imo.

[the old one, for reference]

Some detail shots of the cracked earth paint. When you lay it down all by itself it's kind of drab, so I put a light coat of sienna over it [and then painted the sides of the base the same color]. I think it looks pretty darn good for the amount of effort I put in, though I'm still interested in picking up some grass or something to spice it up a little. Should I put on grass before or after sealing the miniature? Does it matter?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 27, 2014

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The formation is specifically 3 Knights, so at least there's that. They also re-roll charge distance and get D3 HoW hits.

I have exactly 3 Knights and my friends are going to loving hate this formation. I must get my hands on this book!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So yesterday I played a 2,000-point game against BuffaloChicken and his brother, who are excellent dudes of the highest order. The game was Night Lords vs. Space Marines with Imperial Guard Allies + An Imperial Knight. I'm sure BC will have better photos to post, given the higher quality of his camera, but for now here are my shithouse cellphone pics of the event.

Here's the Night Lords force I brought:

It's led by a Sorcerer on a bike. Also in the army are 5 Terminators in a Land Raider, 10 Raptors (+2 Meltaguns), 10 Bikes (+2 Meltaguns), 2 Tac Squads in Rhinos (1 2/Bolt Pistol + CC, 1 with Las/Plas), a Decimator w/Storm Laser, a Dreadnought w/2 CCWs, and a squad of Havocs with 2 Las/2 Missile Launchers. Not super-strong, but with enough guns (I hoped) to take out the Knight before it could do too much damage (this ended up being incorrect).

Here's the table. The mission was 'Purge the Alien,' which I think also hurt me in the long run.

And post-deployment:

I deployed second. BC's brother held his terminators + Term Librarian in Reserve.

Things went pretty well for me at first, but overall it ended up being a slaughter. That Knight was brutal: even shooting 5 Lascannons and 2 Missile Launchers at it per turn I only put 3 Hull Points worth of damage against it, which did nothing to slow it down or stop it from shooting. It wiped out a good chunk of my Raptors and Bikes and smashed my dreadnought before I managed to get the last two raptors behind it and blow it up with a lucky meltagun shot on the rear armor that rolled a 6 on the pen roll.

I will say this: That Knight was a work of great beauty. Excellent paint job, BC.

I made a huge tactical error when I popped my Terminators out of their land raider too early--they got hit by Misfortune from the Librarian, and proceeded to get completely wrecked by rending lasgun shooting.

Things didn't improve much after that when I started rolling just some terrible rolls. As the Bikes and Raptors lost models they became mostly worthless due to an inability to charge without dying to Overwatch fire and the low light was watching my Decimator charge a Chimera full of guardsmen, hit three times, then roll triple 1s to penetrate. It wasn't as rough as it could have been, mostly owing to my ability to *finally* take down the Knight on turn 4, but it was a decided victory for BuffaloChicken and his brother, who played a good game. And it was a lot of fun, which is what really matters.

Bonus photo of the Void Shield Generator BC's brother made, lit up during a game they played afterward using some house rules I've been working on:

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 27, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
EDIT: Dang, Chirurgeon beat me to posting by a few minutes. Looks like our posts are pretty similar, right down to "bonus Void Shield" photos.

Goon Battle! Chirurgeon came over yesterday with 2000pts of Night Lords to fight against my brother and I, who allied 1000pts of Space Marines with 1000pts of Catachan/Knight. Both of the other guys took photos too, so there may be more later, but here's mine for now.

Bicycle Parade rolls on by the Rhino on their way to bigger and better things.

The Void Shield appears to be deactivated...

Super sweet Raptors. If you look carefully, you can see the Champion has the most awesome 40k-est armor possible (his armor is a giant skull).

Rough Rider sergeant runs the Chaos Champion through with an explosive spear, but the Chaos Marines win combat and murder all of the poor dino-riders.

Void Shield activated!

Absolute Madness

The Helbrute charged, Raptors used their jump packs in the assault phase, and the Chaos Bikers slammed into the Marines from behind. Many Hammer of Wrath attacks were had.

The Terminators jump off the roof and land amidst the Squats, who have been lurking in cover and just finished murdering some Chaos Terminators. Apparently that psychic power which makes everything rending is pretty good.

A twisted, warped visage sprouts from the Knight's shoulder right as it obliterates the Helbrute with its giant chainsword (now named "Thagomizer" - it's a dinosaur joke). :science:

Last surviving Raptors shear off the Knight's leg with a meltagun, strategically toppling it right onto the nearby Space Marines and Rhino. It explodes and murders a bunch of dudes.

The Decimator hulks on over towards the Catachan Chimera, ready to punch a hole in its armor and torch the armored Guardsmen riding inside. We're all getting pretty pumped about seeing the Decimator's cool flamerfists in action... until it rolls three 1's for its hits.

The Decimator looms menacingly over the Terminators, which backhand it in the knees until it dies.

With an Imperial fracking tower in the foreground, the remaining powerfists and meltaguns converge on the Land Raider.

The game was an Imperial victory, with the Knight making it really difficult for the Night Lords to gain the upper hand. Was lots of fun, and we're all looking forward to playing again - next time I might ally Dark Eldar with Chirurgeon's Chaos, so he's not always getting ganged up on by his hosts.

Chirurgeon also introduced my brother and I to a new way of playing 40k, involving bidding strategy points to determine turn sequence and purchase benefits. It was lots of fun, and my brother and I played a second game to try it out. Right now we're worried we might prefer it so much that we're tempted to abandon official 40k all together.

Here's a bonus Void Shield photo from that second game - you can see that whenever metal models touch the glass, the lightning arcs off the contact point.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 27, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I want one of those void shield generators.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Everything contained in those two posts is exceptionally rad.

Edit-I just remembered what the Thagomizer is and that's brilliant.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 27, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dude your night lords are so 80s metal, I love it dearly. Looks like an awesome battle.

edit: holy poo poo, that catachan knight. Your catachans are the best loving catachans

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 27, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I know it was posted a while back but i've forgotten: how big is that plasma globe?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Surprised to see he's actually competing. I watched him in a Dark Heresy webgame and he mentioned he was starting to collect and that was like <1 year ago.

He's a regular on frontline gaming's video battle reports and is on a team that, I believe, runs out of their shop.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lungboy posted:

I know it was posted a while back but i've forgotten: how big is that plasma globe?

3 inches.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Never stop posting awesome battle report pictures.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

koreban posted:

He actually just lost, pretty badly vs. the Space Marine player w/ Imperial Knights Allies. Who is playing the Adamantine Formation as well.

Looks like Tyranids got knocked out of the top spots.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 27, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He actually just lost, pretty badly vs. the Space Marine player w/ Imperial Knights Allies. Who is playing the Adamantine Formation as well.

Looks like Tyranids got knocked out of the top spots.

Jim Yeh is still 5th, currently. Geoff got knocked to 11th. If you count top 12, Nids are still a strong showing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If any of the WWWD people win their games next round they'll move past anyone who has a L as it's counted as less than a draw rank wise.

Pretty sure that Necron player w/ Play the Imperial Knight guy and eat his lunch, at least that's how I see that match up going. ( Looks like that's the match up).

I do not look forward to GW redoing the Necron book at all, it has a few bad units and rules but overall is a super strong codex.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 27, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ijyt posted:

3 inches.

Thanks. Does it run off batteries? All the ones i'm seeing are either USB or mains powered.

VVV Thanks, but I'm in the UK.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 27, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lungboy posted:

Thanks. Does it run off batteries? All the ones i'm seeing are either USB or mains powered.

http://www.scientificsonline.com/mini-plasma-ball.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If I ever make terrain I will be stealing this idea.

It's to bad that you didn't go with the obviously superior choice

http://www.scientificsonline.com/mirror-madness.html

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Hollismason posted:

If I ever make terrain I will be stealing this idea.

It's to bad that you didn't go with the obviously superior choice

http://www.scientificsonline.com/mirror-madness.html

Mount it to the top of a Land Raider Redeemer in a flamer-theme Salamanders army, play the following on a loop in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EfnYwpmOE

• Locked thread