Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The first iterations of DKH were very Space Hulk influenced, but this one is definitely aimed at Warhammer Quest, with Advanced WHQ packed in under a divider in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

We've been talking about it a while in the Mantic thread, plenty of details about what makes it new here:
Thanks for the info!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Shadows of Brimstone came under a lot of heat for how they managed their early bird reward tier system, and rightly so, but it looks like they'll be losing a significant amount on each of the pledges. I quite like Flying Frog, but it seems they definitely underestimated productions costs.

They did, however, put out a pretty honest discussion of the current state of things Here.

One thing I don't understand is why the selling of some advanced copies at GenCon is controversial. I'm waiting for my copy, but I also understand its a business and they need product to show off at one of the biggest gaming conventions. There are some people in the comments who are pissed because the backers will not receive theirs first, despite the fact FFP is still on track to begin shipping things out next month, or at worst one or two months later than expected. I got a discount and ton of additional stuff coming along in the future, and I'm not terribly bothered by other people getting their hands on it before me.

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 22, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

One thing I don't understand is why the selling of some advanced copies at GenCon is controversial. I'm waiting for my copy, but I also understand its a business and they need product to show off at one of the biggest gaming conventions. There are some people in the comments who are pissed because the backers will not receive theirs first, despite the fact FFG is still on track to begin shipping things out next month, or at worst one or two months later than expected. I got a discount and ton of additional stuff coming along in the future, and I'm not terribly bothered by other people getting their hands on it before me.

I think it's understandable from both perspectives, such that neither can be 100% satisfied. As you said, the business side is the business side. GenCon is a big deal and they need to market. I'm actually somewhat curious how big of an impact on sales GenCon has on a given product, but regardless, it exposes it to a bunch of people with poor impulse control and less than discriminating tastes who will buy anything that looks cool. A win win for all parties involved.

However, the Kickstarter backers are the ones who put the initial faith in your project to back it in the first place. They put their money, carried the risk, etc. So when they get their stuff later, usually by weeks if not months, than Joe Schmoe McConventiongoer, I can understand being irate at the decision. In fact, I can be both irate and understanding, as these are not mutually exclusive emotions, especially if the way they communicated the decision is rather unprofessional, like Robin D. Laws' infamous ("infamous"?) post when he did something similar for Hillfolk. A lot of the annoyance can be allayed by someone acting like a professional representing a professional venture, hat in their hand and with honest regret in their words.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Can we abbreviate Flying Frog Games to something that isn't the traditional abbreviation for Fantasy Flight Games? I know the initials are the same, but it's confusing.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Jedit posted:

Can we abbreviate Flying Frog Games to something that isn't the traditional abbreviation for Fantasy Flight Games? I know the initials are the same, but it's confusing.

Agh, sorry. Also, its Flying Frog Productions (I think), so I was not only confusing, but incorrect!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

If you have two, then two people get to watch while everyone else tries to win the game because they'll never be picked until mission 5 and their own teams will be automatically rejected by everyone.

Note that this isn't how you should play with Lancelot - in the variant that doesn't suck, the Lancelots are secret. They add a lot to the game, so much so that if you don't have them I'd go ahead and proxy them. (My group has probably played 400 games of Avalon). You should always play with Excalibur, too (and it doesn't require any equipment to play with - the card is just given publicly to someone on the mission). It provides a bunch of entertaining options.

I'm not terribly happy about the Kickstarter - I don't like the sci-fi Resistance theme as much as the medieval one - but it's got stuff for an excellent, excellent game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jmzero posted:

Note that this isn't how you should play with Lancelot - in the variant that doesn't suck, the Lancelots are secret.

And as soon as one Lancelot is picked for a mission, the other one claims because Good Lancelot would have to in that situation.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Another avoidable pitfall in having your game manufactured in China - 404 Law Not Found has experienced another delay, as they requested six 1 piece miniature for their 6 player game, and when the prototypes arrived for approval the factory sent them one miniature in 6 pieces :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 22, 2014

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

And as soon as one Lancelot is picked for a mission, the other one claims because Good Lancelot would have to in that situation.

Again, the Lancelots don't know who each other are in the "good variant"... and even if they did, claiming Blue Lancelot at any time (before round 5) is a very odd move (as your core power is getting onto teams late, as Merlin can't pick you out). In general, there's very few things you "have to" do in Avalon - it is a frickin' nuts game where crazy crap can definitely work.

Anyway, I suppose I shouldn't muck up this thread with specific game discussion - basically I just want to reiterate that this "full" version of Resistance is literally (and, for us, unanimously) the best board game we've ever played. We've played like 400 games over the last year or so.

You should totally grab this KS if you can get 7 or 8 people to play it (and you don't already have Avalon+promos, which is pretty much what this KS gets you). I can't really speak for the other new modes they're adding, but they sound quite promising too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jmzero posted:

Note that this isn't how you should play with Lancelot - in the variant that doesn't suck, the Lancelots are secret. They add a lot to the game, so much so that if you don't have them I'd go ahead and proxy them. (My group has probably played 400 games of Avalon). You should always play with Excalibur, too (and it doesn't require any equipment to play with - the card is just given publicly to someone on the mission). It provides a bunch of entertaining options.

I'm not terribly happy about the Kickstarter - I don't like the sci-fi Resistance theme as much as the medieval one - but it's got stuff for an excellent, excellent game.

What are some good deck setups for starter players? I may be playing a few games with newbies soon and have Avalon plus the Excalibur and Lancelot expansion.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

What are some good deck setups for starter players? I may be playing a few games with newbies soon and have Avalon plus the Excalibur and Lancelot expansion.

I'd start with Merlin/Percival/Assassin/Morgana + "regular dudes" to fill (and always include Excalibur - it has no impact on balance, it just makes the game funner). It should make for a reasonably balanced setup that emphasizes communication among blues, and still allows for a some crazy gambits with Excalibur and/or Morgana dupes. If you keep playing, you'll likely find this setup will tilt blue too hard (and you'll need to get rid of Percival) but by then you'll know what sort of roles your group likes.

If you can get to a group of 7 that have all played before, my favorite setup is to ditch Percival and add in Lady of the Lake + Lancelots + Guinevere (a special blue character that sees the Lancelots before the game, but can be stabbed at the end the same way as Merlin - the Assassin picks the player to stab, and who they think they are).

All that said, other groups prefer a lot of very different stuff (some of which doesn't make sense to me, but apparently works for them; this is very much a game that will depend on what your group likes and how they play).

Note that you can play all of the Resistance variants with just the base Resistance cards (or playing cards if you want). It's not a game where you really need the components to play at all - but picking up this current Kickstarter means you won't need as much imagination/memory/proxying.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Another avoidable pitfall in having your game manufactured in China - 404 Law Not Found has experienced another delay, as they requested six 1 piece miniature for their 6 player game, and when the prototypes arrived for approval the factory sent them one miniature in 6 pieces :v:

With increased robots and shipping getting more expensive I wonder how much companies actually save by outsourcing to china. I assume the gap is shrinking, but I always wonder by how much. I know the goal of the Bones campaigns was to get manufacturing in the US.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

LordAba posted:

With increased robots and shipping getting more expensive I wonder how much companies actually save by outsourcing to china. I assume the gap is shrinking, but I always wonder by how much. I know the goal of the Bones campaigns was to get manufacturing in the US.

I think the goal of Bones was less "We'll save money on shipping" and more "We'll have direct control over our entire manufacturing process."

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Jmzero have you considered starting a Resistance thread? Because I really want a Resistance thread discussing different role set ups and things like that.

On the Kickstarter from my copy of Province arrived and I can't wait to play it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm not a big fan of his games, but I know others are, so here is a link to Stefan Feld's KS for Aquasphere. You can get a pack of Aquasphere, Il Vechio, and Rialto for $100 if you want.

Note that it is a TMG KS.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
We've got a couple days left on our campaign for storytelling card game The Reunion, where you try to survive a disastrous (or standard) family reunion without blowing your top.

It's gone pretty well, we got named a staff pick a couple weeks in, and got a blurb on a BGG roundup that also funneled some folks our way. And that was mostly before we updated the main page with video and some new graphics.

We're definitely set up now for to manufacture everything including the stress-o-meters (and the little slider on those is by far the biggest pain in the rear end of anything we have to get made).

I'm pretty sure now we'll be able to market the game further over the next year, but this campaign is still the only print run we're guaranteed to be able to do. If exploiting real or imagined family drama for laughs sounds like your sort of thing, then maybe have a look?

elentar fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 24, 2014

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I'm actually planning on backing that, but was trying to decide between the print-n-play level and the normal set. How many cards are there in all? It doesn't seem to be mentioned on the KS page.

Regardless, it looks like fun (friends I've showed it to are excited about it too), and can't wait to have groan-inducing traumatic times playing it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

90 minutes on Dungeon Lords, for what it's worth. All stretch goals smashed. I've never played it or petz but I don't have any worker placement games so I'm dropping 90 on the strength of Vlaada and previous reviews.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

90 minutes on Dungeon Lords, for what it's worth. All stretch goals smashed. I've never played it or petz but I don't have any worker placement games so I'm dropping 90 on the strength of Vlaada and previous reviews.

You probably won't be disappointed. I just wish I was less lazy about ebaying board games, since I probably would have just sold my original Dungeon Lords + expansion, but I guess I'm okay with having a smaller box than everyone else? I dunno.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

elentar posted:

We've got a couple days left on our campaign for storytelling card game The Reunion, where you try to survive a disastrous (or standard) family reunion without blowing your top.

I jumped in on this! It sounds like fun and my wife's family is prone to drama, so I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1750773027/water-tiles?ref=discovery

This guy is about to make a killing cutting up plastic floor runners and painting the bottom. I really need to get in on this racket, taking advantage of minis gamers with more money than sense. How lazy do you have to be? I mean if you're going to buy terrain, at least have it look good like Germ's.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

You probably won't be disappointed. I just wish I was less lazy about ebaying board games, since I probably would have just sold my original Dungeon Lords + expansion, but I guess I'm okay with having a smaller box than everyone else? I dunno.
I played my version so much my old box was falling apart: it's why I went for the new stuff + box stage.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Zero_Grade posted:

I'm actually planning on backing that, but was trying to decide between the print-n-play level and the normal set. How many cards are there in all? It doesn't seem to be mentioned on the KS page.

Regardless, it looks like fun (friends I've showed it to are excited about it too), and can't wait to have groan-inducing traumatic times playing it.

Much obliged! The base deck is 144 cards, with a few blanks for people wanting to add a few personal touches. (For print and play there will be a template for the blanks, plus a template for the stress-o-meters.)

Rusty Kettle posted:

I jumped in on this! It sounds like fun and my wife's family is prone to drama, so I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it!

Thanks!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1750773027/water-tiles?ref=discovery

This guy is about to make a killing cutting up plastic floor runners and painting the bottom. I really need to get in on this racket, taking advantage of minis gamers with more money than sense. How lazy do you have to be? I mean if you're going to buy terrain, at least have it look good like Germ's.

Ha! I was just in Lowes looking at those the other day - they're fluorescent light covers for drop ceilings. In all fairness, he isn't charging a lot for the pieces. Not everyone has the ability (or at least the knowledge) to properly cut those sheets. It's kind of like an oil change - I can do it myself, but I can pay a bit more to let someone else get all dirty and dispose of the used oil.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fate Tokens: metal tokens for Fate games

I usually just use poker chips, but these look pretty swank.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Sionak posted:

Also, for goon-run kickstarters, any word on the Deck of Legends? It's been pretty quiet for a while.

It seems the person behind Deck of Legends didn't have a lot of wiggle room in the budget and/or underestimated tax overhead and some problems occurred.

That said, at this point I'd be very happy to know that there is some sort of plan to get those finished, even if it's a print-and-play deck.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1750773027/water-tiles?ref=discovery This guy is about to make a killing cutting up plastic floor runners and painting the bottom. I really need to get in on this racket, taking advantage of minis gamers with more money than sense. How lazy do you have to be? I mean if you're going to buy terrain, at least have it look good like Germ's.

To play devil's advocate for a moment: it is pretty basic, but it also looks like an actually achievable Kickstarter that will most likely produce results close to what it initially claims. In a world of over-ambitious stretch goals and failed million-dollar projects, "I'll cut up some plastic and mail it to you" is refreshingly realistic.

EDIT: I just watched his video intro, and to his credit, he tells you specifically how to make them yourself. I don't even play tabletop miniature games, and I want to give this give money just for being honest with his minimum-effort Kickstarter project.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 24, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I guess that's good. I didn't watch the video, but it's cool that he's honest about it. It really does raise the issue for me though that I could probably come up with some decent terrain out of stuff that isn't resin and sell it. Home Depot is chock full of decent-looking terrain if you have the tools to cut it. Maybe instead of selling complete terrain, I could prepare terrain materials and sell those.

It really is tempting.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nice looking handcrafted terrain feels like a pretty great niche. Store-bought terrain is kind of expensive but I also don't want to lay down a tarp and get plastic dust or styrofoam everywhere.
As long as there are a lot of pictures so you know the sort of thing you'll get and what the style'll be.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone is interested, Zombicide just posted their new stretch goals - Tony Montana (Scarface) and Walter White. Most of the SGs for this season have been pretty lackluster, but these are some pretty cool goals.

KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.
No Soul Left Behind

It's a campaign for the demon fueled supervillian game Better Angels where you're all teachers/students/ect in the same school. There's an actual play of the whole thing on RPPR that's pretty great.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

KimotaBoom posted:

No Soul Left Behind

It's a campaign for the demon fueled supervillian game Better Angels where you're all teachers/students/ect in the same school. There's an actual play of the whole thing on RPPR that's pretty great.

Caleb Stokes is a mad genius and the prospect of getting a fully fleshed out campaign of his to play with makes me quiver in anticipation.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

malkav11 posted:

Caleb Stokes is a mad genius and the prospect of getting a fully fleshed out campaign of his to play with makes me quiver in anticipation.

And you should! Having played the campaign, it is well worth quivering for. If you have any questions about No Soul Left Behind, I am happy to answer them!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Apparently 78% of the backers just voted to let Palladium sell the first of the robotech game boxes they get at GenCon instead of sending them to backers.

That 78% includes everyone who didn't vote, because people who didn't vote were made automatic yes votes, and there are no stats for total votes submitted. Palladium is the scummiest company I've ever had the displeasure to deal with in my brief experience with trad games.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently 78% of the backers just voted to let Palladium sell the first of the robotech game boxes they get at GenCon instead of sending them to backers.

That 78% includes everyone who didn't vote, because people who didn't vote were made automatic yes votes, and there are no stats for total votes submitted. Palladium is the scummiest company I've ever had the displeasure to deal with in my brief experience with trad games.

I usually don't mind them selling things at cons: it helps build the community and is a surprisingly good source of revenue for the company. They should have just said so, said "sorry", and be on their way instead of a sort-of-crappy poll. It's not like it's hard to crank out more plastic; most of the wait time is getting shipping organized.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KimotaBoom posted:

No Soul Left Behind

Oh this is delightful. Better Angels is one of my favorite 'super-hero' games.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LordAba posted:

I usually don't mind them selling things at cons: it helps build the community and is a surprisingly good source of revenue for the company. They should have just said so, said "sorry", and be on their way instead of a sort-of-crappy poll. It's not like it's hard to crank out more plastic; most of the wait time is getting shipping organized.

They're also pushing close to 12 months late, lied about everything during and after the campaign, appear to have rushed out some pretty poor minis despite gobs of advice from people who know better, and aren't allowing backers attending GenCon to pick up what they pledged for.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NTRabbit posted:

They're also pushing close to 12 months late, lied about everything during and after the campaign, appear to have rushed out some pretty poor minis despite gobs of advice from people who know better, and aren't allowing backers attending GenCon to pick up what they pledged for.

That last bit is the worst part, the rest is just business as usual in Palladium land but having product at Gen Con and not letting people get it unless they didn't back it or are willing to essentially pay twice is just despicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

NTRabbit posted:

The poor minis drives me bananas, I can live with waiting for quality, but for dozens of fiddly bits that won't look great when put together...ugh.

• Locked thread