Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nice to see that the best climber in a tour didn't obliterate the world time trial champion again. It's been an ok tour battle for podiums was decent, very disappointing though if you consider what might have been. Vuelta should be excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

Tour de France is a poo poo race.

It's alright. Just boring as poo poo most of the time. Nice scenery though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's my first time watching the tour (and flying today so unable to watch the final stage). Looking at the stage profile it looks like they do eight loops at the end? Is this right? What's the significance of this?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Wheelie bro fan is my new hero

E:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Nice to see that the best climber in a tour didn't obliterate the world time trial champion again. It's been an ok tour battle for podiums was decent, very disappointing though if you consider what might have been. Vuelta should be excellent.

It sucks that all of the top contenders except Nibali crashed out. I feel like it would have been a much more interesting race if Nibali had crashed out as well and just blown the whole thing wide open.

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 27, 2014

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TraderStav posted:

It's my first time watching the tour (and flying today so unable to watch the final stage). Looking at the stage profile it looks like they do eight loops at the end? Is this right? What's the significance of this?

It's a common way to end races, especially if they end in cities and it's been a tradition of the tdf. It turns the last part of the race into a fast paced criterium.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

TraderStav posted:

This is correct. It's basically for public spectacle - the loops are in the heart of Paris, so the fans on the Champs Élysées get to see the race go by eight times. It also allows the sprint to get sorted out. They don't really do any serious pulling before the peloton arrives at the start of the loop section.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

TraderStav posted:

It's eight loops of the Champs-Élysées. There's no real significance beyond the French showing off their kick-rear end boulevard.

It's also where the race starts to pick up in earnest, right now they're still going at a leisurely pace and chatting and posing for photos. The sprint will be actually contested, however.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Looking forward to watching Sagan bottle it again.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Froome is on the American feed and just said that Wiggins has not expressed any interest in ever racing a Grand Tour again. Is this correct?

Edit: I have enjoyed this tour, even if it was just watching Nibali crush everyone. At least the Maillot Jaune earned it instead of grinding out the minutes.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 27, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

Froome is on the American feed and just said that Wiggins has not expressed any interest in ever racing a Grand Tour again. Is this correct?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28476411

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

It is, he's upset at how cut throat road racing is. I think he's especially upset after being told he'd be riding the vuelta and now froome crashed out the tour sky have decided that's not going to happen. He's pretty weak mentally so it's not that surprising.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Edit: I have enjoyed this tour, even if it was just watching Nibali crush everyone. At least the Maillot Jaune earned it instead of grinding out the minutes.

Wiggins said he was done with Road racing and was focusing on the track, then pulled out of every track event bar the team pursuit and then lost that.

He's most likely going to retire.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

We're gonna miss Jensie :3:

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Peraud down!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pretty sure Nibali just tried to make everyone stop so that Peraud could catch up and they ignored him haha

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Smirr posted:

Pretty sure Nibali just tried to make everyone stop so that Peraud could catch up and they ignored him haha

They slowed down. He caught up very quickly.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah you're right. They certainly don't seem to be slowing down for Kristoff though.

e: nevermind, he's back too

Smirr fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 27, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is there any time gap between second and first place that would be small enough to see a challenge for the lead on the last stage?

All this talk of tradition and poo poo is a bit naff really. I wanna see somebody snatch a win at the last moment. It'd be amazing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thehustler posted:

Is there any time gap between second and first place that would be small enough to see a challenge for the lead on the last stage?

All this talk of tradition and poo poo is a bit naff really. I wanna see somebody snatch a win at the last moment. It'd be amazing.

It'd never happen. The sprinters teams would chase anything down and no-one else would help someone attack the yellow jersey.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

JingleBells posted:

We're gonna miss Jensie :3:

gently caress him and his fans

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

It'd never happen. The sprinters teams would chase anything down and no-one else would help someone attack the yellow jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGK25uZwpc

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Maybe I should have qualified that with a 'Maybe if it was like 2 seconds' Any meaningful gap wouldn't work.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
For everyone saying the Vuelta should be good, remember that the Tour was supposed to be amazing with that 3 way battle between in-form Nibali, Contador, and Froome. Nothing is stopping Quintana or Froome or Rodriguez from crashing out of the Vuelta either. What if Froome doesn't come good by the Vuelta and Quintana rides away from everyone just like Nibali did here? Just because you like Quintana more won't make it a 'better' race.

Don't get the hate for the Tour. It's a bit overblown, sure, but stage by stage, the racing is pretty drat good.

Would love to see someone other than Greipel, Kristoff, or Kittel win today. Would be a good surprise and an interesting end to it all. Coquard, Demare, where you at?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Some day I hope to see the GC nr2 rider take as much dope before the final stage as humanly possible, attack right from the start of the stage, and celebrate TdF victory all night long as baffled spectators cannot believe what they just saw (and ultimately fail the piss test but hey, at least he won that poo poo just like Armstrong did)

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Holy moly exciting sprint and great camera

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

drat that was a tasty camera angle. Nice symmetrical finish to this Tour. I hope we get another cringe worthy laser show like last year.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That camera setup was loving rad

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Vando posted:

That camera setup was loving rad

All the sprint stages need cable cams. Just sayin' ASO, you've got the dough.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Bolivar posted:

Some day I hope to see the GC nr2 rider take as much dope before the final stage as humanly possible, attack right from the start of the stage, and celebrate TdF victory all night long as baffled spectators cannot believe what they just saw (and ultimately fail the piss test but hey, at least he won that poo poo just like Armstrong did)

Doping does not work that way.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

borapt posted:

Don't get the hate for the Tour. It's a bit overblown, sure, but stage by stage, the racing is pretty drat good.

Indeed. The key to enjoying the tour is to only take in as much as you can swallow. Continuously analyzing the stage profiles (before the tour and during it) is essential, thus deciding how much time to devote to each stage. For mountain stages it means starting to watch somewhere around the beginning of 2nd to last mountain, for sprint stages like today it means watching the final 5 minutes is entirely enough, for "rouleur" stages it means keeping half an eye open for a live ticker or stream to see if there is a somewhat interesting breakaway going on. It is what it is and there's no particular reason to expect more, it's an endurance race. Of course if you can honestly enjoy watching entire stages one after another then nothing wrong with that.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Nice ride from Navardauskas too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Veelers looked like he had those shimano race cameras on the front and back of his bike so that should be some cool footage.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So Germany is the new Spain? Winning 7 stages, the WC, contending in F1. Good finish by Kittel, shame that a man that won 4 sprints isn't wearing green, gently caress those in between points really, he isn't even top 3...

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

sprinters jersey

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

9th on champ's Elysée = green jersey :negative:

Points should be finish only and massively weighted to the winner. Double for the last stage.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Should it just be a sprinters jersey? Even ignoring intermediates, Sagan was in the top 5 on 10 stages which seems pretty loving impressive.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Kittel vs Kristoff

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

Should it just be a sprinters jersey? Even ignoring intermediates, Sagan was in the top 5 on 10 stages which seems pretty loving impressive.

I guess but he hasn't looked amazing in any of them and kittel won 4 stages.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
:toot:

Great race! Enjoyed cheering for 2 token Estonians also.

And great threads Mr.Nice, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The sprinters jersey should be won by the best sprinter, imo. Despite winning 4 stages, Kittel only has half the points of Sagan. The medium-mountain stages should have way fewer points (or double the points of the flat stage finishes).

Hegay fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 27, 2014