Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I got my monitor today, but it turns out at some point during the month my computer was turned off, my dying hard drive breathed its last gasp. Now I'm stuck running the trial version of Ubuntu off a 4-gig flash drive, all on a 16" monitor.

Still better than nothing. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Good news, everyone! Frank Luntz is back in politics, and he's teaching Zionists to not sound apartheid-y when massacring Palestinians.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hedera Helix posted:

Has mayday.us actually done anything yet, or did Lessig, Abramoff, Boyko, et al walk off with the money?

How long do PACs usually take to put money to use when they receive a windfall?

quote:

I’m extremely happy to announce that we’ve found a way to accelerate disclosure without adding significantly to our costs. Using a new technology for matching contributors, we will be able to identify contributors who have given $200 or more, almost for free. (Almost, since we need to do some hand-verification, etc., but nothing very burdensome.) We’re still testing the data flow, but here now is our commitment:

On August 5th, we will release a data file with all contributions to MAYDAY through July 31st. For contributors who we’ve determined have given less than $200, we will anonymize their names. But for the balance of our contributors, we will release the same data we would be releasing to the FEC, removing only address data (to avoid bulk mail spam). In addition, for all anonymized contributors, we will release the preference about whether their contribution should be used to support Democrats or Republicans only. For the balance, we will release aggregate data about the choices made.

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=cad4eadd9c925ea7198ac5301&id=8a05574528

I wonder if any of Abramoff's old pals helped get them across the line.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Joementum posted:

Thankfully, the BuzzFeed articles now link back to the original content on Yahoo! Answers, so I know where to go for higher-quality information.

HOW IS LISTICLE FORMED

HOW GIRL GET PLAGIARIZED

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

I wonder if any of Abramoff's old pals helped get them across the line.

Didn't they start accepting Bitcoin in the last days of the fundraiser?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just so I don't contribute to the derail in the ME thread:

McDowell posted:

Edit: Whoa someone got me a new avatar, anyone get the reference?

They should have chosen the best Caligula:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

McDowell posted:

Didn't they start accepting Bitcoin in the last days of the fundraiser?

Truly a work of Reddit.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
This last few months have been a really lovely few for humanity. Lemme think, what've we got: Like three plane crashes (one of which is a shootdown), Syria, Iraq, Ukraine, Gaza, Ebola outbreak, China's quarantined a whole city because of the Plague, CAR crashing, Boko Haram, Tony Abbott's still alive ???

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

illrepute posted:

This last few months have been a really lovely few for humanity. Lemme think, what've we got: Like three plane crashes (one of which is a shootdown), Syria, Iraq, Ukraine, Gaza, Ebola outbreak, China's quarantined a whole city because of the Plague, CAR crashing, Boko Haram, Tony Abbott's still alive ???

What's CAR? Google's not helping me much.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's CAR? Google's not helping me much.

I think he's referring to the Central African Republic.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Plague? As in THE plague? :stare:

Edit: Okay it was lifted that's good right?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Yeah the Central African Republic has been melting down for a little while now, but because it's one of the smallest, poorest, most-landlockiest countries in Africa it hasn't gotten a lot of news. The sectarian violence there has been terrible.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

illrepute posted:

Yeah the Central African Republic has been melting down for a little while now, but because it's one of the smallest, poorest, most-landlockiest countries in Africa it hasn't gotten a lot of news. The sectarian violence there has been terrible.

Same old, same old. No one cares about the poors. :sigh:

Violence that passes without remark is the worst kind.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
trader joes frozen food is legit to me. what do yall think?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Swan Oat posted:

trader joes frozen food is legit to me. what do yall think?

I don't think there's a Trader Joe's within 1000 km of me

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it's good by frozen food standards

my favorites are gnocchi and chicken tik

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

illrepute posted:

It's not that small, it's just a little larger than Ukraine and almost as big as Afghanistan or Texas. Bigger than many other African countries, too.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's not that small, it's just a little larger than Ukraine and almost as big as Afghanistan or Texas. Bigger than many other African countries, too.

5 Million people is small.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Plague? As in THE plague? :stare:

Edit: Okay it was lifted that's good right?

Like a dozen people are infected with plague each year in the US, it's no big deal if you have access to antibiotics.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Like a dozen people are infected with plague each year in the US, it's no big deal if you have access to antibiotics.

Cheap antibiotics too. It's also pretty preventable with proper hygiene and pest control. So don't get flees you dummies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

illrepute posted:

5 Million people is small.
I am slain.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It kinda is on a worldwide scale, though? It's .07% of the world's population.

Not that each and every one of those five million people don't deserve all the sympathy and help we can muster for them, but saying it's not small is simply not true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Oh sure the 120th highest population country on the planet is totally big. Right.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
can it be a probatable offense to get trolled?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh sure the 120th highest population country on the planet is totally big. Right.

CAR is not a small country. :colbert:

edit for content: I've just started Do Not Ask What Good We Do, and it's making me wonder what kinds of books we'll get about the current Congress.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 27, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hedera Helix posted:

CAR is not a small country

Geography=/=population

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I've seen it happen, with that exact reason given.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I wasn't trying to troll anyone.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I've always taken the crazy position that the person doing the trolling should be the one probated first

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trolling exposes the decaying moral underbelly of the something awful forums and enables us to purge that element that dwells within us which, having done so, would enable us to achieve the perfection of the Ultimate Post.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Falling for it, even when you know someone's trolling, is a sign of kindness.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just make sure to absolutely never read any of the sequels.

I'll save you all the hassle of reading 1200+ pages of 10th grade level prose with characters that make a Clancy novel seem insightful. Its God. The entire thing is God. Rama is part of God's program to study the universe to find perfection. You see the purpose of existence is to worship God perfectly, and that has to be occurring at all levels simultaneously, even the subatomic level, for perfection to be true. So God sends out Rama's to all populated Solar Systems in order to find perfection in his own creation.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 27, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
d&d trolls itself on a regular basis so what you're proposing is *assumes Everett True pose* forums suicide!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Prester John posted:

I'll save you all the hassle of reading 1200+ pages of 10th grade level prose with characters that make a Clancy novel seem insightful. Its God. The entire thing is God. Rama is part of God's program to study the universe to find perfection. You see the purpose of existence is to worship God perfectly, and that has to be occurring at all levels simultaneously, even the subatomic level, for perfection to be true. So God sends out Rama's to all populated Solar Systems in order to find perfection in his own creation.

what

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Prester John posted:

Ugh. Those Rama sequels started coming out in my early teens and they were everywhere. The covers always looked so cool and I always wanted to read them but could never find the original novel. I finally got around to them last year discovered how soul-suckingly tedious they were. Especially the last one. The original was a quick, fun little read but anything after that is slow death.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So basically God Emperor of Dune without the genocidal sandworm.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Becoz,of ur fabricated bible. Cristians r having gays, lesbian n bdsm allowed in their countries...
They r allowed to become nude aswell.. If that is the modernism u wish to see in muslims then. Bug off.. We r happy to liv in 8th,century.. Rather than watching our brothers n sisters being naked like cristians does...

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

That is all revealed by a robot/angel thingamabob during the last 10 pages or so. The rest is an incredibly lovely morality tale about a Rama ship that gets sent to Earth and demands 10,000 (something like that) humans be selected to be teleported up or the planet gets destroyed. The humans comply but slyly sent up 10,000 criminals instead. The humans proceed to wreck their little custom built utopia (through global warming) and start invading the areas of other aliens (spiders whom communicate through color) whom respond with biological genocide germs.

There is also an entire books worth of "SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON IN SPAAAACE!" shoehorned in as well.

I wish I was lying.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Prester John posted:

That is all revealed by a robot/angel thingamabob during the last 10 pages or so. The rest is an incredibly lovely morality tale about a Rama ship that gets sent to Earth and demands 10,000 (something like that) humans be selected to be teleported up or the planet gets destroyed. The humans comply but slyly sent up 10,000 criminals instead. The humans proceed to wreck their little custom built utopia (through global warming) and start invading the areas of other aliens (spiders whom communicate through color) whom respond with biological genocide germs.

There is also an entire books worth of "SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON IN SPAAAACE!" shoehorned in as well.

I wish I was lying.

I read them too. I wish Prester John was lying. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I have a question that I posed in GBS that you all probably have better information about:

I have barely met any Jewish people in my life. I've never grown up around Jewish communities. I dislike Israel for a variety of reasons, none of which are that they're a Jewish country. The most I know about Jewish people is that there seem to be a lot of successful Jewish people, and Jewish culture produces some of my favourite comedians and entertainers.

My question is: where does modern anti-Semitism come from? I understand the stupid reasons that racists have for hating most groups of people (they look different and talk different, durr!), but I don't know why an average uneducated moron would hate a Jewish person, other than that they're not Christian, or some crazy conspiracy theory.

I apologize if this is an overly hot-button issue, I'm just genuinely curious as a Canadian that has had most of his information about Jewish people come from American media. Hopefully this is the right thread for it.

• Locked thread