Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Did anyone see my UPS question?

Is it possible to find/track a package without the tracking #?

You spun the wheel of fortune and got a crappy UPS agent. Hang up, call back, spin again.

If they have your phone number and can call you, they can look you up by phone number. If they want to. Make them want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Sappo569 posted:

Did anyone see my UPS question?

Is it possible to find/track a package without the tracking #?

Sign up for UPS my choice, if you input your address it'll email you about incoming packages.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

photomikey posted:

You spun the wheel of fortune and got a crappy UPS agent. Hang up, call back, spin again.

If they have your phone number and can call you, they can look you up by phone number. If they want to. Make them want to.

Ha thanks, that's what I said to the lady too

"Someone called me, so you must have my phone number associated to a package right?"

Durrrr

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Baldbeard posted:

Would you say, "It's about time bakers baked more food" rather than "....bake more food" though?

I guess it's just weird sentence structure because we are talking about the present, implying what should happen in the future, and using a past tense verb.

To be grammatical, "that" should be inserted before bakers, but either is correct depending on context. Baked would refer to a general sense, and bake to a more specific sense. "Oh poo poo, we're out of bread and the evening rush of customers will be here soon, it's about time that the bakers bake more food!"

I'd be hard pressed to specifically detail the differences but in my mind those two versions have different connotations and usage.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a way to set document defaults in Google Drive? I'm tired of setting number formats every time I make a new spreadsheet or new rows within a spreadsheet.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I recently discovered an unsanitary condition in my bathroom.

Tiny white and black pillbugs have infested my bathroom sink. I just cleaned the sink itself two days ago with Oxiclean and a sponge, but the bugs appear unphased. I just had to rinse off my electric razor because it was crawling with these loving bugs.

What do I do?

I have cat roommate, so any chemicals I employ need to be safe for him.

Edit: I checked my kitchen sink. No bugs. They're only in the bathroom.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 27, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Raimundus posted:

What do I do?

Diatomaceous earth, it cuts bugs exoskeletons to shreds, which dries them out, and won't hurt anything with skin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

I recently discovered an unsanitary condition in my bathroom.

Tiny white and black pillbugs have infested my bathroom sink. I just cleaned the sink itself two days ago with Oxiclean and a sponge, but the bugs appear unphased. I just had to rinse off my electric razor because it was crawling with these loving bugs.

What do I do?

I have cat roommate, so any chemicals I employ need to be safe for him.

Edit: I checked my kitchen sink. No bugs. They're only in the bathroom.

What do you mean by sink? Like the whole cabinet/counter or just the basin where water sits?

Try emptying out your counter and finding what they're eating or where they're coming from. If it's not down there, just pour a few litres of boiling water down the drain (don't forget the overflow) and see if it helps.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to create a facebook page for a local artist. The setup page has a question: "Is _____ a real celebrity or famous person?
This will help people find this celebrity or famous person more easily on Facebook."

Is that asking if the person is a real person, or is it asking if the person is genuinely famous? I was presuming the latter, but now I'm not so sure.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Aggressive pricing posted:

Diatomaceous earth, it cuts bugs exoskeletons to shreds, which dries them out, and won't hurt anything with skin.

This sounds promising. I'll pick some up later when I'm out.

tuyop posted:

What do you mean by sink? Like the whole cabinet/counter or just the basin where water sits?

They're mostly in the basin (which includes the tiny countertop), and crawling all over everything on it. I'm wondering if I need to replace my toothbrush...

:barf:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yes, you do.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

Would you say, "It's about time bakers baked more food" rather than "....bake more food" though?

I guess it's just weird sentence structure because we are talking about the present, implying what should happen in the future, and using a past tense verb.

Since other languages actually make this distinction, and English does not, here's a different word to use for "past tense": "completed tense".

That makes such structures easier to make sense of, maybe.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

pupdive posted:

Since other languages actually make this distinction, and English does not, here's a different word to use for "past tense": "completed tense".

That makes such structures easier to make sense of, maybe.

English has the subjunctive mood, it is just that most people never learn about it because it is almost identical to the indicative mood. This is an odd example, since "It's about time..." is not a typical set-up phrase for the use of the subjunctive. Basically, Balbeard is saying "It is important that the bakers bake more bread."

The subjunctive is kinda weird because there are some (a bunch of) nuances. Check out the Wikipedia article if you want to read more.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Are there any consequences to ripping out a kid's shaky baby tooth or should you bring them to the dentist?
About falling teeth from kids, my mom was a nurse and her rule was that, if the tooth was really hanging from a thread so to speak, and the kid is going to sleep, you pull it out. To avoid it falling during the night and the kid maybe swallowing it. Otherwise let it fall. I pulled them a lot of times, and my teeth are fine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Baldbeard posted:

This is the same use of the past (because we don't have a distinct subjunctive) that you see in structures like "if I were you" and "I wish I was/were rich". It's not a real present situation, so we use the past to talk about it. "It's about time I got a haircut" means your hair is a mess. "It's about time for my haircut" or "it's about time to eat" are just describing reality.

Ed: so in your examples, if you think the bakers are lazy, you'd say "it's time they baked more bread." If they need to start again after their break you'd say "it's time for them to bake more bread."

greazeball fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 27, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Is there a way to set document defaults in Google Drive? I'm tired of setting number formats every time I make a new spreadsheet or new rows within a spreadsheet.
It looks like you can create a template. Have you tried using that?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanatosian posted:

It looks like you can create a template. Have you tried using that?

Yeah, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. What I want is a sort of "master" setting that will apply to all new documents, like you can do with Microsoft Office applications.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

greazeball posted:

This is the same use of the past (because we don't have a distinct subjunctive) that you see in structures like "if I were you" and "I wish I was/were rich". It's not a real present situation, so we use the past to talk about it. "It's about time I got a haircut" means your hair is a mess. "It's about time for my haircut" or "it's about time to eat" are just describing reality.

Ed: so in your examples, if you think the bakers are lazy, you'd say "it's time they baked more bread." If they need to start again after their break you'd say "it's time for them to bake more bread."

You are correct that English does not have a distinct subjunctive conjugation for anything other than the verb 'to be'. This fact does not change the use of the subjunctive. "It's about time I got a haircut" may be acceptable in a spoken context, but it is not grammatically correct. "It is about time I get a haircut" is the proper usage. The subjunctive in English is always used with the infinitive verb with the 'to' in front of it removed, regardless of when it happens.

If you want to explain when certain events occur relative to your main verb, it is almost always better to completely change your sentence. In English, the subjunctive does not imply any tense, as they are all the same conjugation.

'My hair is a mess, so I need a haircut' is clearer than 'It's about time I got a haircut'

If you insist on using the incorrect conjugation of subjunctive verbs, that is fine by me. However, it is not grammatically correct.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the posted:

I'm trying to create a facebook page for a local artist. The setup page has a question: "Is _____ a real celebrity or famous person?
This will help people find this celebrity or famous person more easily on Facebook."

Is that asking if the person is a real person, or is it asking if the person is genuinely famous? I was presuming the latter, but now I'm not so sure.
Pretty sure it's asking if they're a real person, since you can set up Facebook pages for fictional characters as well.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Can anyone point me to some research that are pro-vaccines? Preferably Canadian sources that are within the last year. I have learned that apparently my boyfriend is anti-vax and does not want our newborn to get her routine vaccinations and I need some articles to link to him.

Sigh.

(I'm taking her, btw, this is one thing I'm not letting him have a choice in.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Er, if he's doing that he's just going to say everything you show him is lies. Research that is pro-vaccine is literally all good research on vaccines in the history of forever.

You may find this page, and this site in general useful though http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/vaccines-and-autism/

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Oddly enough he hasn't jumped on the Vaccines = Autism thing, I think he's just confused about what vaccines actually DO and what they are.

He didn't seem to mind (or just kept his mouth shut) when I got my MMR vaccine after the birth of our daughter.

Thank you for the link :)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Emily A. Stanton posted:

Can anyone point me to some research that are pro-vaccines? Preferably Canadian sources that are within the last year. I have learned that apparently my boyfriend is anti-vax and does not want our newborn to get her routine vaccinations and I need some articles to link to him.

Sigh.

(I'm taking her, btw, this is one thing I'm not letting him have a choice in.)

Why does he want Canadian sources though? Does he think the efficacy of vaccines are affected by northerly latitude or socialized medicine?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Aggressive pricing posted:

Does this work on cockroaches? Just wondering.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Why does he want Canadian sources though? Does he think the efficacy of vaccines are affected by northerly latitude or socialized medicine?

Well we are Canadian and he mentioned something about a lawsuit currently happening here against Vaccines or something to that effect that I honestly can't find info on, so I'm not sure what it's about.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I feel like you have a very uphill argument ahead of you.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TATPants posted:

You are correct that English does not have a distinct subjunctive conjugation for anything other than the verb 'to be'. This fact does not change the use of the subjunctive. "It's about time I got a haircut" may be acceptable in a spoken context, but it is not grammatically correct. "It is about time I get a haircut" is the proper usage. The subjunctive in English is always used with the infinitive verb with the 'to' in front of it removed, regardless of when it happens.

If you want to explain when certain events occur relative to your main verb, it is almost always better to completely change your sentence. In English, the subjunctive does not imply any tense, as they are all the same conjugation.

'My hair is a mess, so I need a haircut' is clearer than 'It's about time I got a haircut'

If you insist on using the incorrect conjugation of subjunctive verbs, that is fine by me. However, it is not grammatically correct.

If I was a prescriptivist grammarian, I would try harder. But as it is, the correct conjugation of subjunctives is something that is rapidly fading from everyday use so I seldom use the word "subjunctive" in a class. I only use it here to tie what I was saying to what you were saying. "Proper usage" depends so much on the context of use that a more useful concept for learners is "common usage". Soon, hopefully (because there's rarely any communication problems between native speakers regardless of how they conjugate their subjunctives), we won't even talk about it at all. So it might be about time you found a new hobby! :v:

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Er, if he's doing that he's just going to say everything you show him is lies. Research that is pro-vaccine is literally all good research on vaccines in the history of forever.

I think you can even remove the word "good" from that second sentence and it would still be true.

All research, ever.

quote:

In 2011, Andrew Wakefield, a leading proponent of one of the main controversies regarding a purported link between autism and vaccines, was found to have been financially motivated to falsify research data and was subsequently stripped of his medical license.

When the "research" is found to be so fraudulent that the author was stripped of his medical license in response, it's not really fair to use the word research. It is straight up venal fraud for profit. In terms of human cost, no different than killing for profit.

quote:

The claims in Wakefield's 1998 The Lancet article were widely reported; vaccination rates in the UK and Ireland dropped sharply, which was followed by significantly increased incidence of measles and mumps, resulting in deaths and severe and permanent injuries. Physicians, medical journals, and editors have described Wakefield's actions as fraudulent and tied them to epidemics and deaths, and a 2011 journal article described the vaccine-autism connection as "the most damaging medical hoax of the last 100 years"

That is saying something given the last 100 years. The suffering caused by this one man's greed and fraud is unbelievable.

Even given the real side effects from some vaccinations, the huge advances in public health simply do not exist without widespread vaccination programs. In the times of our grandparents, polio was simply a fact of life. It is simply unheard of today. Smallpox has become a scareword for terrorism because it has simply been as good as eradicated.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
^ Mind you, this is just the most damaging "medical hoax". How many of those could there have been in the last century? ^

Emily A. Stanton posted:

Well we are Canadian and he mentioned something about a lawsuit currently happening here against Vaccines or something to that effect that I honestly can't find info on, so I'm not sure what it's about.

Why is it your responsibility to find information about someone else's arguments? Seems like you've done your due diligence -- ask where he heard the story.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grundulum posted:

^ Mind you, this is just the most damaging "medical hoax". How many of those could there have been in the last century?

And countless others. 99% of weight loss products. Some early mental illness treatments. Misinformation about breast milk/formula. Vitamin crazes and other "drastically life prolonging" methods.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

pupdive posted:

I think you can even remove the word "good" from that second sentence and it would still be true.

All research, ever.

When the "research" is found to be so fraudulent that the author was stripped of his medical license in response, it's not really fair to use the word research. It is straight up venal fraud for profit. In terms of human cost, no different than killing for profit.

That is saying something given the last 100 years. The suffering caused by this one man's greed and fraud is unbelievable.

Even given the real side effects from some vaccinations, the huge advances in public health simply do not exist without widespread vaccination programs. In the times of our grandparents, polio was simply a fact of life. It is simply unheard of today. Smallpox has become a scareword for terrorism because it has simply been as good as eradicated.

To clarify. Wakefield made up a whole bunch of bullshit statistics about how all those existing vaccines cause Autism. But he had financial interests in a competing new vaccine without all the Autism chemicals, so you should totally insist on getting his whole new entirely non-Autism causing MMR vaccines.

Wakefield wasn't anti-vaccine, he was just trying to scare people away from his competitors vaccine in the most horrific possible way.

Wakefield wanted people to get vaccinated, but he also wanted a cut of that sweet, sweet vaccine money.

If Wakefield showed up as a James Bond villain, he would be dismissed as an over the top villain. Surely nobody could be that evil.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 28, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Are there any American comedy panel shows (like QI, Spicks & Specks, etc.)? It just occurred to me today that I watch tons of these sort of shows but the only ones I'm aware of are Australian or British. It seems like with as much TV as America makes there should be a few American versions of these shows, but I've never seen or heard of them.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Are there any American comedy panel shows (like QI, Spicks & Specks, etc.)? It just occurred to me today that I watch tons of these sort of shows but the only ones I'm aware of are Australian or British. It seems like with as much TV as America makes there should be a few American versions of these shows, but I've never seen or heard of them.

Not really. Hollywood Squares would probably be the closest American equivalent, but it's been off the air for a decade.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 28, 2014

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

thrakkorzog posted:

Not really. Hollywood Squares would probably be the closest American equivalent, but it's been off the air for a decade.

Whose Line Is It Anyways? It has its roots in England though so it's not purely American.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Tiggum posted:

@midnight is probably as close as you'll get. Radio has more options, like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Says You. Plus there's tons of podcasts.

But I'm with you, brother. Pickings are slim.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Emily A. Stanton posted:

If you're interested in coming off as slightly less combative, this medical history podcast is fun and lays it out plainly in their "vaccines" episode:

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/sawbones

Most of their topics are explicitly chosen to be non controversial (to laypeople), but they made an exception for vaccines because they're just that important.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I've got an antennae to get those digital over the air channels on my HDTV.

What's weird is that I get my standard network channels, but I also get these "sub" channels. So NBC is on channel 17. Normally (back in the days when I was a kid and had antennae TV), I'd expect that to be on channel 17. However, I get that on "17-1." And I also have a 17-2 and 17-3, which are different channels. Why are things arranged like that? Are those just other channels broadcasted by the NBC affiliate?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I was visiting a friend and while I was there he had some other friends over, now these other friends aren't from a small village like us, they're from a big place, like london. What is critical to the story and I haven't mentioned it yet is that they are black. So we had a good time hanging out and stuff, I was hoping we'd go to bonertown but we didn't, anyway after a while we're hungry and they insisted that we eat fried chicken. Did they do this because they suspect I'm some kind of racist and were baiting me into revealing a racist nature?

I'm not Bowser and would never say the N word.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

the posted:

So I've got an antennae to get those digital over the air channels on my HDTV.

What's weird is that I get my standard network channels, but I also get these "sub" channels. So NBC is on channel 17. Normally (back in the days when I was a kid and had antennae TV), I'd expect that to be on channel 17. However, I get that on "17-1." And I also have a 17-2 and 17-3, which are different channels. Why are things arranged like that? Are those just other channels broadcasted by the NBC affiliate?

If you just have one it's an antenna, not antennae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Tiggum posted:

I've read that the idea has been explored by production companies, but the belief is that Americans simply won't go for a "quiz" show like this where nobody cares about actually winning.