Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Snak posted:

I mean what are Pakleds, if not space pirates? They are an entire race of pirates, they roam the galaxy stealing everything that benefits them...

Goddamn it, that's the fifth Trek race which is just Space Gypsies :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Couldn't Barclay's Great Grandfather have married some Spider Woman or something.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Snak posted:

I would say this is dark for Trek, but wasn't there already an episode where they were like "yeah IRA terrorists are like, just as right as everyone else"

No surprise considering in Star Trek canon the IRA won their righteous battle for freedom and formed a united ireland...

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
When I saw that episode as a child I just assumed Barclay was another one of those "looks identical to humans alien" that pop up on Star Trek.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

King Hong Kong posted:

Where No One Has Gone Before, The Battle, Conspiracy, and The Neutral Zone are all at least intriguing, especially because of the way they differ from the tone of the rest of the series.

Those are all pretty good and worth seeing. That... might be it for the season, though. Well, you also need to see Skin of Evil but that episode isn't exactly good.

I have a soft spot for The Battle as it introduces the Stargazer.

EDIT: As of today, I've now seen every single episode of Star Trek through the Original Series, The Next Generation and Deep Space 9, in addition to every movie.

I dunno if I can make it through Voyager and Enterprise, though. Some would say that I must experience bij.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Enterprise is good. Watch it. It's a long road.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Snak posted:

I would say this is dark for Trek, but wasn't there already an episode where they were like "yeah IRA terrorists are like, just as right as everyone else"

High Ground I think is the episode.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

V-Men posted:

High Ground I think is the episode.

Yeah data defends terrorism by saying that the IRA successfully unified Ireland. Needless to say this episode wasn't aired in Britain in 1990.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Snak posted:

I really don't mind the macrophage episode. I think I would have liked it better if they didn't inexplicably fly.
I don't think the menace would be very effective if it can be defeated by climbing on the console and hitting it with a broom handle.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
The IRA winning in 2024 from TNG's "The High Ground" and the "success" of the Johnson administration arming of the South Vietnamese mentioned in TOS "Private Little War" are probably among Trek's most embarrassing guesses at future history. The TOS one is kind of worse though, because Kirk seems to actually support America in Vietnam while the thing about the IRA is not presented as positive or negative.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Gammatron 64 posted:

But people don't have inactive spider DNA.
Well, yeah, they don't, as far as I know. But they do have HERV DNA. It is not an incredible leap, within the science fiction genre, to suggest that these viruses may infect multiple species and serve as a mechanism for horizontal gene transfer. I don't know, that's my explanation for why Barclay has spider DNA. And it did not even require subspace or iso-units.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One of his ancestors dated a spidar man.

"I will accept your love, but I must warn you. If any of our descendants are exposed to a thing that deevolves people, they will turn into spiders."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Barlow posted:

The IRA winning in 2024 from TNG's "The High Ground" and the "success" of the Johnson administration arming of the South Vietnamese mentioned in TOS "Private Little War" are probably among Trek's most embarrassing guesses at future history. The TOS one is kind of worse though, because Kirk seems to actually support America in Vietnam while the thing about the IRA is not presented as positive or negative.

There's a bunch of weird anachronistic stuff about the 20th century in the Trek universe that is totally canon, though it's all now out of date.

-The IRA thing
-The Vietnam thing
-The Soviet Union still exists (or, at the very least, St. Petersburg was either renamed Leningrad again or they never changed it back in the first place)

Edit: according to Sperg Alpha it was renamed St. Petersburg at some point in history, much like in OTL, but was then renamed back to Leningrad sometime between the late 21st century and the time of TOS.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So if the IRA united Ireland, I guess that means O'brien is a filthy Papist, since the IRA endgame seems largely to be "kill all Prods".

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Maybe the space Irish from that terrible Up the Long Ladder episode were protestants on the run.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Dysgenesis posted:

Frame of mind is my all time favorite TNG episode.

I must have seen this one when I was a kid, because I do remember thinking star trek was that show where "the robot has a telephone inside him" even though my dad tried to explain what the context was, I was too dumb to get it. I'd forgotten about that though until I saw it recently, and it was some real proustian memory jog poo poo when that came on the screen, which made the whole thing even more surreal.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Crosscontaminant posted:

I don't think the menace would be very effective if it can be defeated by climbing on the console and hitting it with a broom handle.
But when was the last time you saw a broom in Star Trek? I'm sure they all use Space Roombas. The macrophage would have been unstoppable.

Drone posted:

Edit: according to Sperg Alpha it was renamed St. Petersburg at some point in history, much like in OTL, but was then renamed back to Leningrad sometime between the late 21st century and the time of TOS.
Khan did it, as a big fan of Lenin.

In 1996.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Drone posted:

There's a bunch of weird anachronistic stuff about the 20th century in the Trek universe that is totally canon, though it's all now out of date.

I like to think that a ton of historical records were lost or messed up during World War 3, so like half of what people think they know about Earth's past is actually totally wrong. :v:

You could even use a dumb mental gimmick like that to throw away These Are The Voyages. Just substitute Romulans for nukes. Problem solved!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's great about sci-fi is they can do whatever explanation they want and it will still make sense in-universe. Like, they could make Hitler a time-displaced alien or something and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Knormal posted:

But when was the last time you saw a broom in Star Trek? I'm sure they all use Space Roombas. The macrophage would have been unstoppable.

Picard did say the ship cleans itself. I want to imagine Space Roombas running around during the night shift and being scared off by Worf like that little droid in Star Wars.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Cojawfee posted:

"I will accept your love, but I must warn you. If any of our descendants are exposed to a thing that deevolves people, they will turn into spiders."

:smug: Spin a web any size, baby.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So in the future, according to We'll Always have Paris, the humble accordion has been replaced by something that makes it look like you are jerking off a bunch of bongs.

Genesis isn't great scientifically, but its a pretty nifty haunted house episode. I like the episodes were people come back to the ship and find poo poo all hosed up. The one with the frozen time Enterprise and Romulan ships is the best though.

And yea, Skin of Evil, for being so iconic, is really lovely. Tasha dies, the Smog Monster taunts everyone, Riker gets covered in chocolate, and that's about it. It's also the same set as they used for Q Riker.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Genesis is a lovely idea executed about as well as can be expected.

Threshold is a similar lovely idea executed shittily.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So was there any point whatsoever to making Geordi's mother disappear in a mysterious accident?

It's like a ham fisted B plot that wants to have some thematic connection, but really doesn't. That or a setup for a future episode that never happened.. it would have had potential if they'd dropped this in back in season 6 then had a follow up episode in 7 I guess.

It's just out of place. "Hey the series is almost over, let's Gilligan's Island Geordi's mom for the hell of it?" was the logic I guess? It never seems to go anywhere.

Cojawfee posted:

Spider-Man must really do whoever a spider can.

Actually I never thought of it before, but the sheer number of people who undergo strange mutations and gain insane powers in Star Trek and not one of them has turned into a superhero. If Barkley got bit by a spider that gave him superpowers he'd probably spend the whole episode trying to get rid of them.

ED: Well maybe you can count that one guy that turns into Dr. Manhatten and sends starships into the cornfield before going back to save his planet.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 28, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Maybe the space Irish from that terrible Up the Long Ladder episode were protestants on the run.

Those people were definitely Irish Catholic. poo poo, they were practically a bunch of people whose boat got into a wormhole when they were fleeing the Potato Famine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I assume that abortion was a black-listed topic for all of Trek...

In season 1 Worf suggests that Troi should have her immaculate conception pregnancy terminated.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snak posted:

That's really not what the episode said. The terrorists were implied to have some valid grievances, but their tactics and strategy were definitely way out of proportion to their demands.

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Yeah data defends terrorism by saying that the IRA successfully unified Ireland. Needless to say this episode wasn't aired in Britain in 1990.

I don't think Data was making an argument in favor of the IRA or terrorism, but rather that terrorism can be part of a successful effort at regime change. Whether that change is a positive one is another question entirely, and you're smoking more dope than Gene did if you think Star Trek: The Next Generation was actually endorsing terrorism as a force for positive change.

Barlow posted:

I don't think that episode is really an endorsement of that policy, though. I mean, listen to the ending; Kirk is essentially saying "...gently caress", then cut to the shot of the Enterprise breaking orbit to really dire sounding music. Kirk arming the natives is emphatically not depicted as a positive event, and the episode basically suggests that the people of that planet are going to stuck in a brutal (and escalating!) war for a long time.

Also remember, that episode aired in February 1968, not long after the Tet Offensive. Vietnam was way past armaments and into ground combat. If anything, the episode is implying that this is just the start of what will become a long, drawn-out waste of resources for the Federation, with no end in sight.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Those are all pretty good and worth seeing. That... might be it for the season, though. Well, you also need to see Skin of Evil but that episode isn't exactly good.

I have a soft spot for The Battle as it introduces the Stargazer.

EDIT: As of today, I've now seen every single episode of Star Trek through the Original Series, The Next Generation and Deep Space 9, in addition to every movie.

I dunno if I can make it through Voyager and Enterprise, though. Some would say that I must experience bij.

If you find yourself not enjoying it, just quit. Don't let a bunch of internet sperglords make you waste a bunch of time on a show you don't enjoy.

I find The Arsenal of Freedom is great when it's on Geordi commanding the Enterprise. That scene where he's plunging the Enterprise into the atmosphere to reveal the cloaked attack drone is really well shot; it's tense and energetic, arguably even moreso than what we usually saw on the Defiant in DS9.

Honestly if there were a new Trek series that had really good producers and writers, I think I'd be fine with them raiding early TNG seasons for stories; I think there's some really solid premises in there that would shine with better execution.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd argue Arsenal Of Freedom is one of the best episodes of season 1. Maybe even second best after Conspiracy. Though Neutral Zone is a really strong contender, as the scene leading up to the Romulan reveal is really tense.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think that episode is really an endorsement of that policy, though. I mean, listen to the ending; Kirk is essentially saying "...gently caress", then cut to the shot of the Enterprise breaking orbit to really dire sounding music. Kirk arming the natives is emphatically not depicted as a positive event, and the episode basically suggests that the people of that planet are going to stuck in a brutal (and escalating!) war for a long time.

Also remember, that episode aired in February 1968, not long after the Tet Offensive. Vietnam was way past armaments and into ground combat. If anything, the episode is implying that this is just the start of what will become a long, drawn-out waste of resources for the Federation, with no end in sight.
I have to disagree with you on this. "Private Little War" aired only 3 days after the Tet Offensive began but the script was finished in August 1967, when the war seemed to be going well for the US. The episode views the Vietnam war as dirty and problematic, but sees US intervention as justified. Here's what gets said in the episode:

Private Little War posted:

McCOY: I don’t have a solution. But furnishing them with firearms is certainly not the answer!
KIRK: Bones, do you remember the twentieth-century brush wars on the Asian continent? Two giant powers involved, much like the Klingons and ourselves. Neither side felt that they could pull out?
McCOY: Yes, I remember—it went on bloody year after bloody year!
KIRK: But what would you have suggested? That one side arm its friends with an overpowering weapon? Mankind would never have lived to travel space if they had. No—the only solution is what happened, back then, balance of power.
McCOY: And if the Klingons give their side even more?
KIRK: Then we arm our side with exactly that much more. A balance of power—the trickiest, most difficult, dirtiest game of them all—but the only one that preserves both sides!
There is a great article by cultural historian H. Bruce Franklin on Star Trek and Vietnam. It's online at http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/backissues/62/franklin62art.htm. Worth a read.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 28, 2014

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If you find yourself not enjoying it, just quit. Don't let a bunch of internet sperglords make you waste a bunch of time on a show you don't enjoy.
You know, aatrek's not here anymore. We can post lists of episodes worth watching without worrying about a mod insisting that we should watch every episode, no matter how bad. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'just the good episodes' guide to voyager.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

g0del posted:

You know, aatrek's not here anymore. We can post lists of episodes worth watching without worrying about a mod insisting that we should watch every episode, no matter how bad. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'just the good episodes' guide to voyager.

Just the good episodes guide to Voyager: Just watch Battlestar Galactica.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

g0del posted:

Or better yet, a flowchart.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or just watch them all anyhow because you're going to do it all some day anyhow

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Good episodes of Voyager: the first Q episode, Scorpion maybe, the one with the telepathic war memorial thing that made everyone spacesad, the one with the Doctor and the Hierarchy dudes, and... something about Klingons looking for Jesus?

Maybe watch Year of Hell and Equinox if you want to be reminded about what the show could've been.

DrNutt posted:

Just watch Battlestar Galactica.

Or this, yeah.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

...the one with the telepathic war memorial thing that made everyone spacesad...

I first watched this episode with my dad, and about halfway through he was like "It's a memorial! It's just commemorating this tragedy that happened in the past!" and I was like "Well yeah, the episode is called 'Memorial', it showed the title at the beginning" and he was like "Oh, I didn't notice that". Which is really a shame, if you think about it, because of all the Voyager episodes that had a lovely, predictable twist, this could have been one that didn't, except the title gave it away...

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I'm watching Hide and Q in HD and I don't remember the corridors having wallpaper:

Does this occur throughout season 1?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

So I'm watching TOS straight through for the first time (I've watched episodes here and there, just never the whole thing), and I was really struck with how different the tone became as soon as McCoy showed up in The Corbomite Manuever. What was interesting to me was that he didn't exchange a single line of dialog with Spock, and instead fired all of his ammunition directly at Kirk (both serious and silly).

Also I don't care what the canon explanation is, I choose to believe that we never see the First Federation again because they tried that poo poo on the Klingons and were promptly slaughtered down to the last man-baby, woman-baby, and child-baby.:colbert:

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'm watching Hide and Q in HD and I don't remember the corridors having wallpaper:

Wasn't that just in and around sickbay?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That looks like the place my old endocrinologist practiced at.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's like a dozen miles of corridor or something absurd on the Enterprise-D, let's just say they just never visited that bit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

There's like a dozen miles of corridor or something absurd on the Enterprise-D, let's just say they just never visited that bit again.

Probably even more than that

• Locked thread