Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Perfect.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In today's Great Moments in Rock n' Roll, Bill Stix half-remembers something he saw in a movie once. Thank you, Bill.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

I guess this one won the contest, since it was on a record in one of the books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNKCPk1tl9Q

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Kennel posted:

Look at those faces! Such a talent!

Not to mention their tiny baby hands in comparison.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TVs Ian posted:

I guess this one won the contest, since it was on a record in one of the books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNKCPk1tl9Q

Actually, it was the other one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUt-lDH85k

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

So it looks like the bald one in the yellow shirt's main character trait is "manchild". Not that that doesn't apply to three-quarters of the characters in this strip, I guess.

Robbie and Bobby

Is that a reference to GEEK CULTURE?? Am I in the right strip?

Big Nate

What's that by Chad's head in panel three of the second comic? It sorta looks like bits of Mike Teavee.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Cicadas and locusts have all sorts of weird gestation periods. Rob Zombie did a song about them on his album Educated Horses, but I can't find a video on Youtube that works. It might just be my iPad though.

Having lived a good chunk of my life in Missouri and spent a couple years in South Korea, it just doesn't seem like summer to me unless the humidity is 80% or higher, the temperature is 90F or above and you have to yell to talk to someone because there are thousands of insects loving as loudly as possible within a few yards. Some years are definitely more quiet than others.

E: also really cool to hear those Billy and the Boinger songs. I had a bunch of Bloom County books when I was a kid, the one with the record included. Never had anything to play it on though. Most of the humor in Bloom County went over my head when I was little, especially the political stuff.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 27, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

I can't describe to you how much I hate the artwork in this strip.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't describe to you how much I hate this strip.

Much better.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (July 30, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Michael Golden, if you must know.

Classic Popeye Sunday gives us a scholarly interlude, just like the man says. (c. 1942)

Pogo demonstrates why Beauregard is no Offisa Pupp. (July 20, 1969)

First-Gen Blondie, in which Baby Dumpling tries to kill his father. Several times. (c. 1942)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Oh, be real. Tommie doesn't have a story.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Oh, be real. Tommie doesn't have a story.

Why are their faces melting off their skulls?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

I know I've said this before but jesus gently caress I hate the faces in this comic.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

So it looks like the bald one in the yellow shirt's main character trait is "manchild". Not that that doesn't apply to three-quarters of the characters in this strip, I guess.

A lot of these non-punchlines remind me of the dregs of Keenspot I use to browse through when I was still a fresh-faced lass and hadn't yet realized most people who make comics suck at it. How many editors did this Reddick character have to blow to get this thing published on even a website, much less picked up by a paper for two weeks?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

For Ed that would probably be a couple bites.

On the Fastrack

More importantly, how much does that cost? The havoc on a global scale thing might be cheaper.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

One thrift shop I went to just had all the Disney stuff at $2 and everything else at $1. Makes things pretty easy.

Slylock Fox

Slylock is seriously a lame chump if he spends his days at the beach picking up trash.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 28, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

I too wear a shirt labeled "Nerd" to show off how nerdy I am.

Classic Prince Valiant

The rest of the comics tomorrow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Midnight Moth posted:

One thrift shop I went to just had all the Disney stuff at $2 and everything else at $1. Makes things pretty easy.

I will occasionally check ebay/thrift shops for VHS/laserdisc stuff not available on DVD/BR.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

We had these when I was a kid. Basically sort of horseshoes with steel pointed, plastic finned darts. Probably a decidedly Midwestern lawn game. Also, as you can see, the potential for injury was present. I somehow survived that era without a Jart related injury, though.

:v:

I once put a hole in the roof of my dad's car with one of those. Miraculously, I survived to adulthood.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Comic strip colourists have never given a poo poo about their work. It's nice to see that some things truly are timeless.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Midnight Moth posted:

That's... not a terrible idea, but then again, I've been looking for a copy of Project Metalbeast for a while now.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

For Ed that would probably be a couple bites.

If this is how Ed usually acts in restaurants, I'm guessing a good 10% of his diet consists of waiters' phlegm and saliva.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

Slylock is seriously a lame chump if he spends his days at the beach picking up trash.

I read these for the "today's artist" bits.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Tracy in I have no Gun, and I Must Shoot.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

I don't really get it. If they know they're corrupt, then why bother setting a trap? You could just fire them.

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

This strip makes me so loving angry. everything about it is infuriating. from the "jokes" that read like they were written by a middle aged man trying to appeal to Those Kids Today to the Nerd shirt on black haired Peter Griffin to the fact they are referencing Angry Birds in this, the year of our lord 2014. Burn this strip. Burn it in a fire as hot as the hell from which it came

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

That, and 20 minutes after 1:20 is more than 20 minutes before 2:03. :geno:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

sweetguts posted:

This strip makes me so loving angry. everything about it is infuriating. from the "jokes" that read like they were written by a middle aged man trying to appeal to Those Kids Today to the Nerd shirt on black haired Peter Griffin to the fact they are referencing Angry Birds in this, the year of our lord 2014. Burn this strip. Burn it in a fire as hot as the hell from which it came

Hey, now. Practically every strip has an ignoble beginning. C&H was a garden variety "kid with animal" strip at the very first, Bloom County kinda ambled behind Milo and did little else, Dilbert didn't even focus on work, Peanuts was meh, really, every strip has to find its footing, and eventually, this strip will finds its true niche and its true potential and, uh, be CAD.

...yeah, it needs to burn.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

this strip will finds its true niche and its true potential and, uh, be CAD.

That is the greatest damning with the faintest praise I've ever seen. Bravo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Good Listener posted:

Not to mention their tiny baby hands in comparison.

It must be a related strain of the tinyarms virus from Dick Tracy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

sweetguts posted:

I was definitely getting some Family guy vibes from the dude, which kind made me "ugh" a bit.
That aside, its not healthy to hate comics on the internet.

Probably Magic posted:

this strip will finds its true niche and its true potential and, uh, be CAD.

Buckley was just trying to make people laugh, is that truly such a crime?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

You know, it's terrible that Gwen is the most human-like character in the strip. Everyone else looks like some cartoony Brazilian Family Guy ripoff called "Relative Man." If everyone at least looked a little more human, at least the strip might be a little more tolerable. Well, probably not, but those rubbery raised eyebrow faces, too. Jesus Christ.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

I thought he was wearing a shirt with a Dreamcast logo on it for a second.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Probably Magic posted:

Peanuts was meh, really, every strip has to find its footing, and eventually, this strip will finds its true niche and its true potential and, uh, be CAD.

Actually, the first year of Peanuts was far superior, in both quality and humor, than the later established characters.

Hell, the very first strip has more worth than a hundred "Snoopy things he is a WW1 pilot" strips. I really can't understand why Peanuts gets so much acclaim. I think it was just sort of a right place/right time thing and just keeps going on "well of course Peanuts is awesome. everyone says so" inertia.

Serious question to people who thinks Peanuts is grand: Why? I mean the era of the established characters, cartoons and such.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

scarycave posted:

I was definitely getting some Family guy vibes from the dude, which kind made me "ugh" a bit.
That aside, its not healthy to hate comics on the internet.

Buckley was just trying to make people laugh, is that truly such a crime?
Yeah we should really move past this, and heal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I'm really happy we don't have this invite neighbors for barbeques tradition here to be honest. This strip makes it even more so.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I think I know exactly how Intelligent Life got picked up. It's designed to please everybody.

You've got bright colors and clean lines. It looks just like that Family Guy that all the kids are watching. It makes frequent references to geek culture, and isn't that what's in now with your Big Bang Theories and your Iron Mans and your Star Tracks? The youth market that newspapers are desperate to tap into in order to survive will eat all this up!

At the same time it's as inoffensive and toothless as Family Circus. There is absolutely nothing in this comic that will piss off your elderly readers, inspiring them to write letters about how your liberal paper is contributing to the destruction of our culture and cancel their subscription.

This, of course, is also why the comic fails. The youth market likes biting and edgy humor. It's so homogenized, it's like the comic equivalent of unflavored instant oatmeal (only without the benefit of providing fiber) and no young person will go for that. And the elderly won't like it either because it's all about beeps and boops and Batmans and Nintendos and whatnot.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Prince Valiant

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Johnny Aztec posted:

Serious question to people who thinks Peanuts is grand: Why? I mean the era of the established characters, cartoons and such.

It's primarily the amount of people in this thread that can't wait to tell everyone how they don't think it's that great that does it for me.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't really get it either. I mean it's pretty okay I guess, but it's honestly not all that terribly great. Same thing with Calvin and Hobbes, really. Rereading that as an adult, I'm liking it a lot less than I did when I was a kid.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Julet Esqu posted:

Juliet Jones

After seeing insufferable storylines about characters publishing instant hit novels in For Better Or For Worse and Judge Parker, it's refreshing to see a comic acknowledge writing as a difficult process that involves actual editing and self-criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Johnny Aztec posted:

Honestly? Baby Boomer nostalgia. Peanuts hit the national spotlight in 1965, and most people who grew up with it learned to love it. Not for what it was, but for when it was made. Why do you think MetLife still uses Snoopy to sell reverse mortgages?

• Locked thread