Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I seem to recall that the only people who ever lavabended before Ghazan were past Avatars like Roku and some other guy. So while it could be a firebending thing, the fact that Ghazan does it probably shows that it's strictly earthbending-related.

Waterbending into ice and steam actually makes sense to me considering that they're just changing the shapes of the same substance into one thing and another. And water is the element of change, so it makes "sense" that it'd be the easiest to shift between one form and the next...solid, liquid, and gas. I mean, "make sense" insofar that it's some kind of literal moon magic, of course.

It actually makes me wonder some things about earthbending. Can it "repair" rocks and stone? Like if someone smashes all the rocks around you to tiny gravels, can you somehow gather those pieces back into bigger rocks? If you knock a block of stone out of the ground as benders on the show tend to do, can you put that block back exactly as it was and repair the cracked ground you just made so that there was no damage to the earth at all, or is there just gonna be a cracked block there forever?

The Fortune Teller episode of TLA had Earthbenders moving Lava iirc, but not in any significant way beyond "direct it this way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

The Fortune Teller episode of TLA had Earthbenders moving Lava iirc, but not in any significant way beyond "direct it this way"

didn't they just build paths for the lava to take?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

didn't they just build paths for the lava to take?

I could swear it was both.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This is why I want Mako and Bolin to team up against lavabender dude

that way it can just be explained with brotherly teamwork

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Going back a little, but you'd think that they'd have made soundbending into an alternate airbending ability. You hear things because of vibrations travelling through the air. Wouldn't it make sense for an airbender with very precise control to be able to create sounds from nothing, or to nullify sounds when they occur? It'd even fit with the generally non-aggressive nature of airbending.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Slime posted:

Wouldn't it make sense for an airbender with very precise control to be able to create sounds from nothing, or to nullify sounds when they occur? It'd even fit with the generally non-aggressive nature of airbending.

Non-aggressive until you blow someone's ears out with a few hundred decibels.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Slime posted:

Going back a little, but you'd think that they'd have made soundbending into an alternate airbending ability. You hear things because of vibrations travelling through the air. Wouldn't it make sense for an airbender with very precise control to be able to create sounds from nothing, or to nullify sounds when they occur? It'd even fit with the generally non-aggressive nature of airbending.

They've actually hinted at this a couple of times. Once when Aang blows his bison whistle in Ba Sing Se; you can't hear it, but you can see the shockwave very quickly spread throughout the entire city. And then again when Tenzin blows the horn to wake all the new recruits, causing the windows to rattle and the curtains to flap (though that could just be straight airbending as, considering the size of that horn, it's probably pretty loud to begin with).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The only reason I have a hard time imagining Bolin lavabending is that it seems like... awful lethal. Everything it does is kind of sheer bad guy violence, although I guess Mako uses lightning pretty regularly and Bolin could master some kind of defense against it instead of making lava-shurikens.

They've had heroic firebenders, and that's not a discipline that's huge on non-lethal applications.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
So I'm giving the show a chance after marathoning The Last Airbender in five days and I'm already about to quit after seven episodes. I'd rather not get into an argument that you guys have probably had a thousand times, let's just say my opinions are my own. The real question is, does the show get any better and if that's the case, how long does it take to ramp up and is it worth the wait?

E: that half assed "scream" Korea had as she fell in the pro bending arena was one of the best laughs I've had in ages. "Ahhh... ehhhhhhh..."

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 27, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

So I'm giving the show a chance after marathoning The Last Airbender in five days and I'm already about to quit after seven episodes. I'd rather not get into an argument that you guys have probably had a thousand times, let's just say my opinions are my own. The real question is, does the show get any better and if that's the case, how long does it take to ramp up and is it worth the wait?

E: that half assed "scream" Korea had as she fell in the pro bending arena was one of the best laughs I've had in ages. "Ahhh... ehhhhhhh..."

General consensus is that Season 2 doesn't fix much from the first season (and gets worse in some ways), but has 2 of the best episodes of the entire franchise... (or of Korra, at least, I probably shouldn't overstate that) and that season 3 has actually been really good so far.

I'd say if you can push yourself through it, it will eventually be worth it, even if just for those two great s2 episodes.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 27, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd say the season 1 finale is the series' turning point, but in all honestly, the series doesn't hit its stride until part way through season 2.

edit: talking about Last Airbender

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm in a similar situation, as I marathoned both Avatar and Korra over the past month or so, and I gotta say if you don't like the first season of Korra then it's pretty much all downhill from there until season 3. Those two episodes that were called the best of the entire franchise didn't really do it for me, but I also loved the first season, so YMMV.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

So I'm giving the show a chance after marathoning The Last Airbender in five days and I'm already about to quit after seven episodes.

For Korra:

Watch Episodes 7 and 8 of Book 2.

Start watching Book 3.

Problem solved.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Varrick is introduced in season two, don't tell him to skip him. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Varrick is introduced in season two, don't tell him to skip him. :colbert:

And that would also be skipping spirit world Iroh!

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Honestly, Korra Book 1 is only four hours of animation while Book 2 is just under five. Just suck it up and watch, or don't. It's not that long if you marathon it. It's probably not even as bad as most people make it sound if you stream it.

AshB fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Some random observations.

It seems like, during the epic battle in this ep, Ming-Hua develops a grudge against Mako that would explain why she appeared to be trying to kill him in the season trailer. When Lin is trying to escape the Red Lotus with Korra, and Ming-Hua grabs Lin's leg with one of her water-arms, Mako blasts the water-arm apart and frees Lin. Then, Ming-Hua turns toward him, as if pissed.

Another thing I didn't notice at first: When the Red Lotus is standing on their little metal fortress with the lava moat surrounding them, it resembles a lotus floating in a pond. Cool touch, creators.

That one mook guard who grabbed and pulled Zaheer away in the beginning was the loving MVP of the fight. If he hadn't done that, Zaheer would have succeeded in creating a cloud of cover and then vanished with Korra.

This fight is one you want to watch over and over again. I really hope the Red Lotus saga continues in season 4, because this is really loving good and should not end in another five eps.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 27, 2014

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Slime posted:

We need a deaf airbender who could pull this off to go along with our blind earthbender, amputee waterbender, and insane firebenders.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It's kind of funny that after the first Combustionbender that we saw was taken out by a boomerang, this one almost seems to specialize in combustionbending with a boomerang-like arc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:tviv: pretty aptly describes me when I first realized that OMG she is curving the combustion beam!!! That was fantastic and a completely unexpected and original take on an original series power. That's the kind of thing I was sort of hoping to see more of at the beginning of LoK -- a new age of twists, variations and mixing of bending styles to coincide with the new age of electricity and industrialization.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

:tviv: pretty aptly describes me when I first realized that OMG she is curving the combustion beam!!! That was fantastic and a completely unexpected and original take on an original series power. That's the kind of thing I was sort of hoping to see more of at the beginning of LoK -- a new age of twists, variations and mixing of bending styles to coincide with the new age of electricity and industrialization.

You could actually say all four of the Red Lotus are like that. Ming-Hua has her always-on tentacle-arms, Ghazan has Lavabending (which unlike the original series seems to be directly making and controlling it), and Zaheer is an aggressive and offensive-based Airbender.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You could actually say all four of the Red Lotus are like that. Ming-Hua has her always-on tentacle-arms, Ghazan has Lavabending (which unlike the original series seems to be directly making and controlling it), and Zaheer is an aggressive and offensive-based Airbender.

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess I've yet to be really impressed by Ming Hua's waterbending, since aside from her arms being there so she can manipulate things, she seems to stick to regular waterbender sort of tricks. But Ghazan is :black101: as hell, and so is Zaheer. I really like all of them!

(Though I wish that P'Li's combustion bolts had the same kind of audio resonance that Combustion Man's had. Maybe she fires weaker ones more rapidly? They don't sound as "thunderous" I feel.)

EDIT: Oh yeah! A neat thing that I noticed was that P'Li actually caught Mako's fire blast, waterbender-style. It was really cool, and I halfway expected her to redirect it back to him. That was awesome too.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess I've yet to be really impressed by Ming Hua's waterbending, since aside from her arms being there so she can manipulate things, she seems to stick to regular waterbender sort of tricks.
Maybe watch the prison break scene from episode 4 again.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Maybe watch the prison break scene from episode 4 again.

no joke the ice-drill she makes is all kinds of badass.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the slice-open-a-window trick this episode. Don't remember that showing up before.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, the slice-open-a-window trick this episode. Don't remember that showing up before.

Yeah, that was actually really neat. It seems like she has really tight control over her water-tentacles, which actually kind of fits with the other two. Combustionbending and Lavabending both seem to be about having really tight, strong control over the element and focusing it to do something completely new.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Book 1 isn't bad but it was disappointing and felt way rushed. Book 2 starts pretty badly but starts getting quite good starting with the two-parter (episode 7-8). Book 3 has been really drat good so far.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Has Korra done that peace out sign from the next ep preview before?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Alright, I just finished up season one, and it ended on an obnoxious sour note. So I guess I'm stuck.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has Korra done that peace out sign from the next ep preview before?

First episode, when she gets arrested by Lin.

Alright, I just finished up season one, and it ended on an obnoxious sour note. So I guess I'm stuck.

I remember people in the thread getting super excited over what Amon and the Equalists represented (people were passionately arguing that Amon was Aang for a while) and it kept building up more and more promise before letting out the wet fart that was the finale. It's almost like the ending was completely fabricated on the fly once they got a renewal and needed a way to restore the show's status quo for Book 2.

Book 2 suffers from "teen romance drama" but just power through because the Avatar Wan 2 parter is the best part of the season and the show picks up considerably after that.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 27, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I think Korra has been repeatedly hosed by Nick based on the writers not even getting a decent heads-up on when the series should end. Wasn't S2 greenlit in the middle of S1? and the same with S2 and S3-4? Now that they know they have more seasons to work with, I think the pacing and writing is really hitting its stride.

E: this of course doesn't excuse the abundance of love triangle (which I love that they squashed early in this season) and everything involving studio pierrot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Wasn't S2 greenlit in the middle of S1? and the same with S2 and S3-4? Now that they know they have more seasons to work with, I think the pacing and writing is really hitting its stride.

Nope. Seasons 2-4 were greenlit at the same time. The writers just hosed up last year.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

pentyne posted:

"teen romance drama"

gently caress.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Nope. Seasons 2-4 were greenlit at the same time. The writers just hosed up last year.

Well, and considering the creators wrote all of Book 1, but only 4 episodes of Book 2, it would have been the first season for most of the writing staff. So it makes sense that they're just hitting their stride now.

pentyne posted:

Book 2 suffers from "teen romance drama"

It's not as bad for that as Book 1 was, though.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 27, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've got a crazy theory that might turn out to have some validity:

So based on the 10,000 year figure given in S2 for the amount of time since the first Avatar, and assuming a roughly 100-year average lifespan for Avatars, I think we can assume that the number of Avatars to ever have existed is somewhere in the area of one hundred. Furthermore, given the rate at which New Airbenders are being discovered, something on a similar order of magnitude might be the number of New Airbenders. A connection?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I've got a crazy theory that might turn out to have some validity:

So based on the 10,000 year figure given in S2 for the amount of time since the first Avatar, and assuming a roughly 100-year average lifespan for Avatars, I think we can assume that the number of Avatars to ever have existed is somewhere in the area of one hundred. Furthermore, given the rate at which New Airbenders are being discovered, something on a similar order of magnitude might be the number of New Airbenders. A connection?

Avatars have longer lifespans as a whole. Aang's 80-year life was unusual (and to be fair that is because he was technically Avatar for over a hundred years while frozen in ice.) Sub-100 seems more likely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ImpAtom posted:

Avatars have longer lifespans as a whole. Aang's 80-year life was unusual (and to be fair that is because he was technically Avatar for over a hundred years while frozen in ice.) Sub-100 seems more likely.

I'm just saying, some correlation might exist. Same order of magnitude, at any rate.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The suggestion that they were airbender descendants seemed plausible. Just look at Bumi.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Irish Joe posted:

I'm pretty sure that an episode or two into book 1 they got greenlighted for a full season. Then a few weeks after Book 1 ended they got to announce at comic con that they got a second season ordered. Remember that books=/=seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I think that if Season 1 didn't have Aang wrap up everything in the last 5 minutes people wouldn't hate Season 1 as much as they do.

I mean yeah the Equalist stuff wasn't as deep as people were imagining but it was still a mastermind plot by a dude with daddy issues which has been the MO of Avatar since forever.

They could even have done the same ending more or less, just have Aang tell her that her powers will come back and end with her struggling to try to earth/water/firebend again.

• Locked thread