Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Night10194 posted:

Black Crusade is also, by design, somewhat time limited since it's sort of a race to become awesome enough before you inevitably turn into a Chaos Spawn (You become a mighty Daemon Prince instead if you're awesome enough) due to the fact that your Corruption is constantly ticking up.

If you're unaligned, and your corruption is 100 and infamy is 100+ you...just stay a dude. A really important dude like Abaddon, but you don't spawn or 'prince. FFG says there is now no unaligned princes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

I would include loyalty and/or protection with Rogal Dorn.

I ascribed unshakable loyalty to Leman Russ, and protecting others I had the Jaguar Lords assign more to Vulkan.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

If you're unaligned, and your corruption is 100 and infamy is 100+ you...just stay a dude. A really important dude like Abaddon, but you don't spawn or 'prince. FFG says there is now no unaligned princes.

I think the 40k fluff in general says there's no unaligned Daemon Princes, except for that first guy who became more trouble than it was worth for the Dark Gods. Still sucks for the unaligned guy when all his "buddies" become daemons, but then he did think he was above choosing a God.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ronwayne posted:

That's strange, as I'm pretty sure Peturbo and Lorgar are unaligned.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cythereal posted:

I have no idea what 13th Age is, so sorry. :v: I had Aztec-themed Space Marines sacrificing Tau prisoners to the primarchs by tearing out their still-beating hearts.

Basically, Icons in 13th Age are kind of metagamey and story-related and put a lot of weight on improvisation. Icons are Important People inside the campaign (- whether it is something with tons of influence at a big scale - like the Inquisition or an Astartes Chapter -, or something smaller - the Arbites commander, the local gang leaders, an Inquisitor and his retinue, etc -) to which PCs establish relationships, whether they are Troubled, Positive or Negative. Players can check which icons will influence the current session before they start playing (which is mandatory) and can invoke them during the session itself (which is optional), which can alter the situation at hand: one of the gang leaders arriving with reinforcements in a moment of dire need, the Arbites delivering combat gear to the PCs for an action in which they can't openly participate but want to see done, the Inquisitor busting the arms deal in which the players are involved.
Of course, these interactions need not be simple. The gang leader may want the PCs support for his gang war, the Inquisitor may hire them for some unsavory work if the players are caught and imprisoned, the Arbites may expect their gear back and/or a scapegoat.

Of course, it's not guaranteed that they will intervene. But it's a pretty neat system if you are good at improvisation and want the players to get even more involved with the setting of your campaign.

gently caress, I think I'll try this for my game.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Primarchs are a different story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azran posted:

Basically, Icons in 13th Age are kind of metagamey and story-related and put a lot of weight on improvisation. Icons are Important People inside the campaign (- whether it is something with tons of influence at a big scale - like the Inquisition or an Astartes Chapter -, or something smaller - the Arbites commander, the local gang leaders, an Inquisitor and his retinue, etc -) to which PCs establish relationships, whether they are Troubled, Positive or Negative. Players can check which icons will influence the current session before they start playing (which is mandatory) and can invoke them during the session itself (which is optional), which can alter the situation at hand: one of the gang leaders arriving with reinforcements in a moment of dire need, the Arbites delivering combat gear to the PCs for an action in which they can't openly participate but want to see done, the Inquisitor busting the arms deal in which the players are involved.
Of course, these interactions need not be simple. The gang leader may want the PCs support for his gang war, the Inquisitor may hire them for some unsavory work if the players are caught and imprisoned, the Arbites may expect their gear back and/or a scapegoat.

Of course, it's not guaranteed that they will intervene. But it's a pretty neat system if you are good at improvisation and want the players to get even more involved with the setting of your campaign.

gently caress, I think I'll try this for my game.

That kind of stuff wasn't what I was going for with the Jaguar Lords. I was using it for "Great Leman Russ, Wolf King and Lord of Fenris, today we begin our assault on the foul xenos of Berior Tertius! To you we offer up this tau warlord's heart! Accept our offering and grant us your fearsome wrath in battle this day! Corax, Raven Lord! In your name we sacrifice this tau ethereal, the self-proclaimed king of Berior Secundus! Grant us your cunning, that we might wreak havoc and confusion before the xenos realize we are among them!"

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 27, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Its all moot, seeing as there's really no way to be a dude like Kharne the betrayer who really isn't a prince but keeps on trucking in the name of his god, unless you're unaligned and therefore follow NO gods.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It just occurred to me that I honestly missed a golden opportunity with the Jaguar Lords' pantheon of primarchs. The explanation I offered for their unusual chapter cult is that they're not of unknown lineage - they're White Scars successors, thank you (though they unknowingly aren't), but the planet they call home was clearly at one point a sophisticated Imperial world before civilization collapsed and the planet reverted to a savage jungle world. The largest remaining artifact of the planet's past that remains intact is a great memorial circle in what used to be the planetary capital, protected by an ancient energy shield, around the edges of which are great statues of the loyal primarchs and lists of their titles and deeds. To the natives, this site is now the holiest of holy places on the planet.

In retrospect, I could have had eighteen statues at that circle. Or twenty.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

Its all moot, seeing as there's really no way to be a dude like Kharne the betrayer who really isn't a prince but keeps on trucking in the name of his god, unless you're unaligned and therefore follow NO gods.

Yeah there is, its called your god likes you just the way you are.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well yes, ordinarily I'd argue LOL RULE 0 INVALIDATION, but really BC only functions with judicious application of it.

Its really odd FFG laid down that as an absolute considering almost everything else is "This thing never happens. Unless it does. Because Chaos"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Probably just too lazy to think up a whole bunch of Unaligned stuff.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

There's a few unaligned powers, but by and large even if you just houseruled in UnA princes they'd have less power options.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'all are crazy :colbert: Thanks for all the ideas, I'm definitely encouraged to do sarajevo '93 with uncaring space gods :(

Cythereal posted:

Should anyone be interested in the concept I used of treating the primarchs like a pantheon of gods that worshipers would make sacrifice to, with the Emperor as the head of the pantheon, here's the spheres of influence I assigned for the primarchs. Would need some modification for non-Astartes, probably.

Lion el'Jonson: Strategic skill, keeping secrets

Jaghatai Khan: Swiftness, wisdom in general

Leman Russ: Loyalty, ferocity in battle

Rogal Dorn: Defensive warfare, fortification, void war

Sanguinius: Compassion, general "What a Space Marine should be."

Ferrus Manus: Anything to do with technology, especially cybernetics

Roboute Guilliman: Organization, interactions with non-Astartes

Vulkan: Patience, craftsmanship, resilience

Corax: Stealth, deception, unorthodox tactics

Lorgar would be much better fit for loyalty, though I'm guessing you're not including traitor primarchs.

Also, while Guilliman was boss at handling normal humans, the Ultramarines have been up to some grade-A dickery after the Heresy. (Including, arguably, during the Heresy with the destruction of Monarchia, but that was a direct order from the Emperor.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tias posted:

Lorgar would be much better fit for loyalty, though I'm guessing you're not including traitor primarchs.

Also, while Guilliman was boss at handling normal humans, the Ultramarines have been up to some grade-A dickery after the Heresy. (Including, arguably, during the Heresy with the destruction of Monarchia, but that was a direct order from the Emperor.)

If you want to use it that way, go nuts. I used the whole thing as part of the flavor for a homebrew chapter of Aztec-themed Space Marines, and I was just tossing the idea and my notes about it out there in case anyone else thought it interesting or usable for their own games.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm trying to come up with a campaign idea for OW, but I'm having a hard time making it hang together.

The basic idea is that the PCs are members of the PDF of some world. The governor is corrupt and weak, the world is a backwater, galactically speaking, and it has a pirate/bandit/organized crime problem.
Then the governor's relative, a Rogue Trader shows up, tries to take over (probably with Xenos backing), and fumbles it enough that they need to blame the massive violence on a coup attempt that they had to prevent, and oh they're now governor.
The PCs get disbanded, probably have to try and sabotage their records, then...I'm not sure.

Form a resistance cell? Work as pirates, probably like a lot of other unemployable ex-military personnel?
End up working as mercenaries, because the pirate problem is exploding? End up working as mercenaries for the Rogue Trader, or local governments, and end up having to juggle resistance activities and trying to keep a lid on actual, setious problems (like witch pirates)?

I think it's like instead of Tau taking over an Imperial world, they use a puppet to keep their involvement covert, so the population doesn't freak out. Then they either slowly work propaganda to turn the world, or just use it as a stopping point.

The mercenary thing, I think I'm more than a little influenced by Peace Walker, 'cause I was originally thinking of using an aquatic world, and the players would be able to build an HQ on an offshore platform or something.

Does the mercenary thing even make sense? Like, resistance aside, you've got to make a living somehow, and that's your skillset.
I guess it's a running theme of making bad choices with dangerous people because you're desperate?

Also, what do I name this?
Only War: Water Margin? PMC? Only War: Business is Good?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rockopolis posted:

I'm trying to come up with a campaign idea for OW, but I'm having a hard time making it hang together.

The basic idea is that the PCs are members of the PDF of some world. The governor is corrupt and weak, the world is a backwater, galactically speaking, and it has a pirate/bandit/organized crime problem.
Then the governor's relative, a Rogue Trader shows up, tries to take over (probably with Xenos backing), and fumbles it enough that they need to blame the massive violence on a coup attempt that they had to prevent, and oh they're now governor.
The PCs get disbanded, probably have to try and sabotage their records, then...I'm not sure.

Can you express a little more clearly what is going on? Does the coup succeed or not? Why do the characters have to disband and sabotage their records?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Throw away your planet setting and have the RT pressgang them into service as ship troops. Adventures ensue.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It's definitely very confusing, sorry. It's like, the third or fourth iteration of an idea I've probably sat on for too long. It might have been a good idea at first, but it's a bit rotten now. I think I need to think less and do more.

The coup is fake. The Rogue Trader (or just a dispossessed noble relative) shows up and tries to knock over their wimpy relative. They succeed, but it's a lot more violent/messier/unpopular than they were planning on, and the 'coup' is a weak attempt to shift blame.
Destroying their own records is to avoid getting tracked down and purged? 'cause the PCs are from the losing side. Someone else could do it, but I figure it's another mission for PCs, and I'm short on those.
I think the PCs also should know that the RT is probably way closer with xenos than is kosher; like, lots of weird powerful weapons, and more importantly, they fought Kroot and maybe Vespid soldiers during the invasion.

RT shipboard troops campaign doesn't really catch my interest right now.

To be more concrete, I am having a hard time settling on a Regiment. Homeworld, type, other details keep changing, and most are equally plausible. Thus, it's impossible for me to make a decision. I might just leave it up to the players.

I'm giving myself a headache.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You don't nearly always leave regiment creation up to your players? That's like, one of the most fun parts of character creation and a big way to let them tell you what kind of game they like.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

All of the games I've been in, it's already decided, usually by the GM as part of the plan for the game. It also seems to be part of PBP, trying to avoid spending weeks deciding what regiment to run.
If deciding didn't drag on forever, I guess could probably roll with most things, out-there choices like Void Homeworld Rough Riders aside.

Maybe to go for the simple pitch; you used to be PDF, fought on the losing side of a civil war, and now you're mercenaries? There's pirates everywhere, bush wars breaking out left and right, and business is great?

It's basically MERC 40,000, haha.

I guess I'll put off larger things for later, like the Xenos backers or w/e? Like, instead of endless little merc missions, I can use bullshit politics or something to make the new govenor an interesting target?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jagged Alliance: Only War is something I should probably run some day.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ugh, see, that's probably what I should have said...though I'm not sure if the PCs would be AIM or MERC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

I guess could probably roll with most things, out-there choices like Void Homeworld Rough Riders aside.

Not terribly hard to imagine an old Imperial ship so far gone that cavalry is used to patrol the decks, to be honest. Would be a great way to introduce life on Imperial ships to new players: guys in flak jackets and armed with laser carbines and explosive-tipped spears who ride horses because mounts are needed to get anywhere on the ship in a reasonable amount of time.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
An easy way to do regiment creation would be democratically. Give everyone a vote for each step of the process, and don't give them all the options, just a handful.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Cythereal posted:

Not terribly hard to imagine an old Imperial ship so far gone that cavalry is used to patrol the decks, to be honest. Would be a great way to introduce life on Imperial ships to new players: guys in flak jackets and armed with laser carbines and explosive-tipped spears who ride horses because mounts are needed to get anywhere on the ship in a reasonable amount of time.

This would loving rule. Horses with cobbled together space suits for EVA. Ole spindly-rear end horses with magnetic horseshoes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rockopolis posted:

Ugh, see, that's probably what I should have said...though I'm not sure if the PCs would be AIM or MERC.

MERC are a bunch of random fuckups and unstable maniacs who have no business succeeding and work for peanuts, but who can destroy an entire small south American nation through their bumbling and slowly become a completely unstable murder machine of colorful weirdos. They are every PC party ever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pharmaskittle posted:

This would loving rule. Horses with cobbled together space suits for EVA. Ole spindly-rear end horses with magnetic horseshoes.

I am now suddenly tempted to do a one-shot of Only War with my PCs that takes place entirely on the decks of a Ramilies star fort or an Imperial battleship. The PCs are the ship's elite garrison complement, and they need to be part diplomat and part soldier because open war has broken out between the proud nations of Enginarium and Shield Control, each with their own lesser allies like Port Weapons and Life Support, and the result is the Napoleonic Wars echoing through the decks. And the captain has decided that the decreases in efficiency are getting out of hand.

Really, when you think about it, one warship could be an entire campaign setting if you are so inclined.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 29, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Now I'm even more confused :psyduck:

Maybe I should give it up as a bad idea and, I don't know, run Whose War Is It Anyway, the game where the Regiment is made up and the points don't matter.
Like, a combination CYOA and forced improv GMing session. Be decent practice to have to regularly make up poo poo for new scenarios and regiments to run.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the weirdest rough rider regiment my friends have designed was a Forge World one that rode high-speed angry spider bots with rapid grapnel systems to fight in zero G.

I kinda still want to run a game for that regiment.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Rockopolis posted:

Maybe I should give it up as a bad idea and, I don't know, run Whose War Is It Anyway

I've grown to love naming campaigns after shows. Really good for setting tones.

My OW campaign is called It's Always Warfare In Calixis. During their third mission, they were tasked to go behind enemy lines and stop a Big Mek from finishing a Gargant. They changed his 1/100 scale model prototype of the mega-gargant to have a giant fuel drum on the front of it. The Gargant was dutifully built by the grots as close to "spec" as orkily possible. It then marched into battle against their regimental rivals, a tank regiment who soon found themselves engulfed in a tsunami of burning promethium. :supaburn:

This was after they had stolen all the best prisoners from the planetary capital's jail before the tankers could "recruit" them to replace losses from another battle. Of course there's *no way* this regiment of horrible burn victims and leftover prison psychopaths will ever come back to haunt them.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Night10194 posted:

I think the weirdest rough rider regiment my friends have designed was a Forge World one that rode high-speed angry spider bots with rapid grapnel systems to fight in zero G.

I kinda still want to run a game for that regiment.

Oh man a tachikoma regiment... that does sounds interesting as an Adeptus Mechanicus army.

Or Tau

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

MilkmanLuke posted:

I've grown to love naming campaigns after shows. Really good for setting tones.

My OW campaign is called It's Always Warfare In Calixis. During their third mission, they were tasked to go behind enemy lines and stop a Big Mek from finishing a Gargant. They changed his 1/100 scale model prototype of the mega-gargant to have a giant fuel drum on the front of it. The Gargant was dutifully built by the grots as close to "spec" as orkily possible. It then marched into battle against their regimental rivals, a tank regiment who soon found themselves engulfed in a tsunami of burning promethium. :supaburn:

This was after they had stolen all the best prisoners from the planetary capital's jail before the tankers could "recruit" them to replace losses from another battle. Of course there's *no way* this regiment of horrible burn victims and leftover prison psychopaths will ever come back to haunt them.

We should name our squad the Wildcards.

Edit: You left out the part where before that we had stolen like half of the other squad's treadfethers, and were borderline negligent with how many of them we wasted (to be fair, they were heavy, and would have been a major pain to carry them all the way home.)

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 29, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

frajaq posted:

Oh man a tachikoma regiment... that does sounds interesting as an Adeptus Mechanicus army.

Or Tau

Adeptus Mechanicus gives you more excuses to go full depersonalization cyberpunk dystopia on your players.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm about to use OW to pit a bunch of Reserve PDF dudes against a nurgle invasion spearheaded by a more virulent Zombie Plague (a la Necromunda). Their goal is to survive the 6 months it takes for the Imp Guard to send help. They don't even know what kind of help.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

frajaq posted:

Or Tau

This was the intention, yes. Tachikomas rule.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

frajaq posted:

Or Tau
After my Black Crusade game concludes (presumably when the group turns into daemon princes and leads a Black Crusade to end all Black Crusades) I was considering running something based on the in-setting fallout. Only War, Only Tau, or (hacked) Deathwatch were already possibilities but having the players run with either Skitarii or Legio Cybernetica might be interesting. (After hearing about the latter I have been constantly surprised at how, er, buried the robots are in 40K.)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

FireSight posted:

I'm about to use OW to pit a bunch of Reserve PDF dudes against a nurgle invasion spearheaded by a more virulent Zombie Plague (a la Necromunda). Their goal is to survive the 6 months it takes for the Imp Guard to send help. They don't even know what kind of help.

It's an exterminatus, right?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

It's an exterminatus, right?

Imp Guard can't call down Exterminatus. But it could just be some poo poo penal legion that was "nearby". Or paratroopers on their first deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

FireSight posted:

Imp Guard can't call down Exterminatus. But it could just be some poo poo penal legion that was "nearby". Or paratroopers on their first deployment.

Maybe, yeah. The Inquisition might show up before the IG does though. Or the Sector General may ask them to, depending on how bad things go on the planet.

I was more thinking of the last few minutes of the game. After months of holding an ever-shrinking line, long range scans show ships hitting the system. Several calls come are made to confirm the status of forces, and situation on the ground. No inquiries from the PDF are answered. The calls are followed by six days of radio silence. Then one morning, ships are visible overhead. Our heros are saved!

One final communication comes in informing the troops of their impending doom along with a tacked on platitude about how much the Emperor appreciates their sacrifice. They will all be awarded the Imperial Medal of Honor, posthumously. The communique is followed by obscene quantities of ordinance.

It's an ending that's so over-the-top grimdark that it was made for 40k.