Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

One thing I wasn't prepared for (that speaks to some of these concerns) is the rate at which XP comes -- it comes faster than you think, basically. It took a while before my players weren't purchasing a talent or skill two out of three sessions, and I nerfed XP a little because our sessions were shorter than the guidelines in the rulebook. Depending on how long a single adventure takes for your group and how freely you distribute bonus XP, they could hit a Dedication talent (+1 to any characteristic, max 6) in a single three-act adventure, with a handful of new talents along the way.

The restrictions on characteristic advancement are there for a reason. I strongly recommend trying the system as designed before you change things -- my experience is that the way the dice work is difficult to theorycraft, so practical experience is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah there's no reason to allow characteristic buy after char-gen. If a player feels like they fell in a trap, let them rebuild from the ground up.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Also, encourage them to spend as much starting XP as possible on characteristics, then say, "No, really, I mean it" several times. Then look at their sheets when they're done and show then that if they cut back on a skill and that talent that they will be able to buy literally after the first session they'll be able to raise a characteristic. Then show them the dice pool they'll have if they listen to you. Then, after the first session, say, "Do you see now why I said to spend all your XP on characteristics?" and let them take your suggestions before giving them their XP.

I had a Trandoshan Brawler with a 3 Brawn. Refused to listen to me. After the first session, let her reroll, had a 5 Brawn.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Ok, I got the scenario set up for my Imperial one shot. My players are going to raid a Corellian Corvette and intercept Rebel intel or deny those scum the chance to use it by blowing it up on the inside and escaping.

I am just wondering what is the sweet spot for minions vs each pc? Such as how many per group per pc. Also, it be fine for environmental maluses like smoke from the firing of blasters to happen in the following turn, right?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Also, encourage them to spend as much starting XP as possible on characteristics, then say, "No, really, I mean it" several times. Then look at their sheets when they're done and show then that if they cut back on a skill and that talent that they will be able to buy literally after the first session they'll be able to raise a characteristic. Then show them the dice pool they'll have if they listen to you. Then, after the first session, say, "Do you see now why I said to spend all your XP on characteristics?" and let them take your suggestions before giving them their XP.

I had a Trandoshan Brawler with a 3 Brawn. Refused to listen to me. After the first session, let her reroll, had a 5 Brawn.

I understand the math behind this line of thinking but it also seems like you'd hit a line of diminishing returns pretty fast. Unless we're specifically talking about Wounds or Strain, a roll giving 6 successes or advantage is not going to be that different from one that yielded 3. I could spend 40 XP to go from a 3 to a 4 Intellect or I could pick up Tinkerer, (Solid Repairs) and Utility Belt and get a lot more narrative bang for my buck (so to speak). (Datapad with a multi-optic sight? LOL) My hunch (admittedly having only played a couple times) is that a characteristic of 3, maybe 4, at the start is probably the sweet spot of both being able to generate helpful die rolls and having enough XP to do interesting unique character building.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I understand the math behind this line of thinking but it also seems like you'd hit a line of diminishing returns pretty fast. Unless we're specifically talking about Wounds or Strain, a roll giving 6 successes or advantage is not going to be that different from one that yielded 3.

A successful combat roll giving 6 Advantage is significantly better than one that yielded 3, because of the ways you spend advantage. A successful combat roll with 6 uncanceled successes is more than twice as good as two successful rolls with 3, because of soak.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

homullus posted:

A successful combat roll giving 6 Advantage is significantly better than one that yielded 3, because of the ways you spend advantage. A successful combat roll with 6 uncanceled successes is more than twice as good as two successful rolls with 3, because of soak.

Correct but I'm specifically referring to outside of combat here ('outside of wounds and strain'), which I am taking to be a larger part of the game. YMMV, of course. The way dice are interpreted is a significant portion of gameplay and it feels like a lot of investment in characteristics could be lost or at least muted in that step where a Talent might be more specific but is going to pay out more visibly.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Correct but I'm specifically referring to outside of combat here ('outside of wounds and strain'), which I am taking to be a larger part of the game. YMMV, of course. The way dice are interpreted is a significant portion of gameplay and it feels like a lot of investment in characteristics could be lost or at least muted in that step where a Talent might be more specific but is going to pay out more visibly.

The point is more that you can pick up Tinkerer and Utility Belt after the first session or two. Not so the characteristics. You'll actually get diminishing returns from your method later on when you're taking on daunting and formidable challenges and you are rolling more purple and red than green and yellow. For the first several sessions, characters with top stats of 3 are fine. It's later on that you'll miss having 4s or 5s. Granted, I agree that it's more important for combat, that's why my example was a Trando who wanted to claw-brawl. Especially since that's already a choice that's going to be an uphill battle. I wanted to encourage running with her vision, and that involved making a character with competency at Brawl, which is gonna need that 5 Brawn.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RyvenCedrylle posted:

It's a smaller impact outside of combat, but having twice as many successes matters in skill challenges and knowledge checks, too, especially if you build them so that extra successes cut the time spent on something in a time-sensitive context. Really, the issue is that talents are excellent for defining and differentiating characters from each other, but they are cheap and readily available forevermore, while characteristics aren't (RAW).

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
Can we get the thread title changed to "Star Wars: Edge of the Empire charop thread - make my narrative character OP"?

I've been planning on how to transition my group to Age of Rebellion for a while now. I'm thinking of running them through an officer training camp, afterward giving them the Recruit specialization for free and allowing them to change career (which pretty much just amounts to changing what their class skills are). We've been playing most of these characters since release, so they're pretty established.

My current thoughts are to run them through a bunch of skill challenges like marksmanship, leading squads during combat (which may be two characters opposing each other), scouting, endurance... and scoring them on their results. Maybe if they do well enough, starting them at 1 Contribution Rank?

Does anyone have any ideas how to make it more fun and interesting? Maybe a rival inductee callsigned Iceman?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I did something similar, although in a more roundabout way. I had them all track down a General to introduce them fully to the rebellion, and then after they'd done a few jobs for said General, they went to OTC on an outer rim world. Skill challenges were pretty simply, I didn't draw it out but basically did the same thing you said, and I allowed them to take any specs from the AOR book for free once it was done.

Then the graduation celebration from OTC or whatever was interrupted by a Moff who dropped a captured Rebel Correlian Corvette on the base. Like literally dropped it like from that BSG episode, except it didn't jump out, but exploded. Chaos. Grief. Death. And the Heroes emerged.

And that Moff is the current rival for this campaign.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm going to have my players search for the Katana Fleet as part of obligation owed to the Rebellion. Along the way they will each suffer some kind of tragedy at the hands of the Empire. One player just brought his long lost sister back from Cholganna, who will be captured to be interrogated about the cybernetics the Separatists were making. One is a Mon Calamari, who will witness mass enslavement of a backwater planet. It's hard to come up with motivations for the more scummy members of the party but I can make it work, I think.

They will end up finding the "Katana Fleet" which will actually be a few small cruisers, help the Rebellion steal them, then we take a break to play another game for awhile. When we come back, they will be at an outpost on Hoth during the evacuation, then be re-assigned to find their own base of operations.

I think giving them the Recruit specialization for free is a cool/good idea.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

That is an interesting idea -- I like it. Unlike a Force specialization, giving Recruit for free doesn't DO anything other than save them the entry cost to the specialization, but opens up a set of talents for purchase that are appropriate for a recruit.

Unless you're talking about giving them the whole tree for free. I wouldn't do that.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

homullus posted:

That is an interesting idea -- I like it. Unlike a Force specialization, giving Recruit for free doesn't DO anything other than save them the entry cost to the specialization, but opens up a set of talents for purchase that are appropriate for a recruit.

Unless you're talking about giving them the whole tree for free. I wouldn't do that.

It also makes it more expensive to buy other specializations. I'm not too keen on it. Maybe let them choose if they want to get it for free? Make it not count as a bought specialization?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pau posted:

Make it not count as a bought specialization?

Good point! I was assuming this in the "free", but that would need to be stated also.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

alg posted:

I'm going to have my players search for the Katana Fleet as part of obligation owed to the Rebellion. Along the way they will each suffer some kind of tragedy at the hands of the Empire. One player just brought his long lost sister back from Cholganna, who will be captured to be interrogated about the cybernetics the Separatists were making. One is a Mon Calamari, who will witness mass enslavement of a backwater planet. It's hard to come up with motivations for the more scummy members of the party but I can make it work, I think.

They will end up finding the "Katana Fleet" which will actually be a few small cruisers, help the Rebellion steal them, then we take a break to play another game for awhile. When we come back, they will be at an outpost on Hoth during the evacuation, then be re-assigned to find their own base of operations.

Loss of limbs always works. Empire captures one of them, they get interrogated, there's a daring escape but in the process they lose a leg and end up with a baseline cybernetic replacement for cheap, or something like that.

Mechanically it doesn't affect their character at all, but it is HUGE for the narrative.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

We're getting Arcona and Chevin in Far Horizons :allears:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4924

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FFG is doing Rebellion Day instead of Free RPG Day.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4927

Awesome kit, can't wait to run it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

FFG is doing Rebellion Day instead of Free RPG Day.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4927

Awesome kit, can't wait to run it.

If you run it, I'll drive up to play it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

If you run it, I'll drive up to play it.

I already sent an email to the store asking them to pick it up :)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I would like to thank everyone for the advice given to me. I went with the derelict Interdictor idea and sort of married it to the sith holocron idea as well. So I went a very Mary Celeste route with the ship, I had them discover 5,000 credits and a secured Data pad in the captains quarters and in the one of the hanger bays I put a smuggler ship in which they salvaged one smuggling compartment (or really the parts to put one together) and some spice. They're looking to sell the spice though their contact who is a "Legitimate Businessman" but I'm thinking of making it a Mcguffin and have end up having like bounty hunters track them down over it. I'll have to think about it.

But while on the bridge of the ship they picked up an unidentified signal coming from the surface of the planet and I figure they're going to go down there find a temple complex or something and find some sort of artifact that they'll have no idea about but will know is very valuable.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I need some printable sheets for my RL game, do Age of Rebellion sheets not exist?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=257&esem=4

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've started an intended high level Age of Rebellions Clone Wars game, if anyone is interested. Play as an ARC Trooper, and be a badass. All skill levels welcome!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something I'd really like to see from this system (maybe when the 3rd Core Book is out?) is a game-neutral player's guide. Maybe a cheaper paperback release designed to work with all three of the game lines with character creation rules, a trimmed down selection of talent trees, and basic skill check rules. There are a couple of friends of mine that expressed interest in the game, but were kinda put off by the (admittedly sexy) giant tomes that FFG puts out.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Another peek at the Far Horizon's book: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4947

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ran must first session today and we had a blast. Figuring out the dice was a bit difficult but we eventually got off and running. I'm looking forward to doing more!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I mentioned this a couple days ago on IRC, but I'm going to institute this into my SWEOTE game.

http://muleabides.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/wine-women-and-song-experience-points/

Basically in the early days of DnD, PCs used to get XP based on how much gold they accumulated. There weren't explicit rules on how to distinguish gold spent on buying equipment and the like and gold that became XP, so everyone did it a little differently.

In particular, Dave Arneson (i.e. the other guy, the one who wasn't Gygax) had a house rule where PCs literally converted their gold into XP by partying it away, (e.g. buying themselves and hell maybe even the entire tavern a round of drinks, spending money on prostitutes, etc.).

I figure by doing this, I will neatly sidestep that problem where if you pay your PCs too much gear becomes trivial and if you pay them too little why would they even take the job. It feels to me thematically approriate that the PCs would nab a huge payday from a gig, then wake up the next day with a gnarly hangover and once again deeply in debt.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

insanityv2 posted:

In particular, Dave Arneson (i.e. the other guy, the one who wasn't Gygax) had a house rule where PCs literally converted their gold into XP by partying it away, (e.g. buying themselves and hell maybe even the entire tavern a round of drinks, spending money on prostitutes, etc.).

This is an excellent idea.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Ran must first session today and we had a blast. Figuring out the dice was a bit difficult but we eventually got off and running. I'm looking forward to doing more!

Yeah, ran my first session yesterday and have to say the dice was a bit hard but man it became fun for them.

We ruled that since we are Imperials we use the dark side tokens instead which was fun.

Combat was also cool since my players and I were using those tokens to spice it up.

Can't wait to figure out what to do for them next session.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm running the adventure found in the game master guide right now. It has a good mix of checks, combat and made it really easy for me to pick up and play. I definitely made some mistakes but I think I can really find myself liking this line. I just hope the Jedi book is as good as the other two since the fiancé really wants to go hard into force powers.

Also from what I can see so far; can a Force Sensitive Exile only raise their Force Rank to 2? I can only see one force rank upgrade in the tree.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm running the adventure found in the game master guide right now. It has a good mix of checks, combat and made it really easy for me to pick up and play. I definitely made some mistakes but I think I can really find myself liking this line. I just hope the Jedi book is as good as the other two since the fiancé really wants to go hard into force powers.

Also from what I can see so far; can a Force Sensitive Exile only raise their Force Rank to 2? I can only see one force rank upgrade in the tree.

If you take the Force Sensitive Emergent specialization in Age of Rebellion, you can get one more rank and more Force powers. There will be more Force powers in Force and Destiny.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So Onslaught at Arda I is designed to bring EotE characters into AoR. Awesome.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4957

that art :allears:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

So Onslaught at Arda I is designed to bring EotE characters into AoR. Awesome.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4957

that art :allears:

I am really looking forward to this and to the Colonist book. I don't know what the transition from EotE to AoR is like, but I can't think of a reason that Obligation would need to vanish in a puff of smoke, so the transition can be as gradual as the group wants.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I know in EOTE it says to have characters never go below 5 obligation. If my players want, I will allow them to completely "pay off" obligations through story arcs, if they want to shed the outlaw lifestyle and go all in on the Rebellion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
God, every time I flip through on of these books I think the artists and art coordinators need a raise. And a statue. And maybe some kind of award ceremony.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

God, every time I flip through on of these books I think the artists and art coordinators need a raise. And a statue. And maybe some kind of award ceremony.

This is absolutely true. Lots of great poses regardless of the sex or gender of the characters, and a better feel for what makes Star Wars exciting than anything else I've seen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

Well, except whoever did that picture of the Y-wing in EotE. Which also made it onto the Gold Squadron card in X-Wing Miniatures. Someone needs a word with QA.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Madurai posted:

Well, except whoever did that picture of the Y-wing in EotE. Which also made it onto the Gold Squadron card in X-Wing Miniatures. Someone needs a word with QA.

ahhhhh gently caress you I never noticed that before :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

alg posted:

ahhhhh gently caress you I never noticed that before :(

I've been thinking about altering a mini to match the card.

• Locked thread