Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

freeranger posted:

Does it take much longer to film a 3 hour movie compared to say a 90 min one? Would you expect it to be double the shooting length? What about general costs of making a longer film compared to a shorter one?

Yes, as a generalization I'm comfortable saying it takes longer to write, shoot, edit, score, mix, complete a DI for, etc a longer film... And it costs more, too. Longer run times used to be reserved for "epics" in part for this reason. Of course, it isn't a linear equation. And consider that making 2 or 3 films at once (like the LOTR movies) can save time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Had there ever been a movie that shows one side of the story and then another movie that shows the other side with the same people attached?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Had there ever been a movie that shows one side of the story and then another movie that shows the other side with the same people attached?

Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sliding Doors, kinda. Also Time Code, kinda.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Tracing the family tree of films that Alien/Aliens borrowed from and were later ripped off by is one of my favorite activities. That one good enough to justify checking out?

This is kind of an aside, but I just saw Forbidden World, Roger Corman's 1982 attempt to rip off Aliens. It's sweaty, dank, and looks like it was lit by flashlights. It has the least appealing sex scene this side of Tommy Wiseau and a ton of weirdly shot nudity that looks like they just missed it in editing. They're in space until you find out it's a planet, and everybody eats strawberry shortcake for every meal. If you like Alien plagiarism, you might not hate this.

Here's the trailer. Not work safe because of boobs.
:nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UypDHNiKbE4 :nws:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think some of the Saw movies do this. You probably shouldn't watch them, though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jack Gladney posted:

This is kind of an aside, but I just saw Forbidden World, Roger Corman's 1982 attempt to rip off Aliens. It's sweaty, dank, and looks like it was lit by flashlights. It has the least appealing sex scene this side of Tommy Wiseau and a ton of weirdly shot nudity that looks like they just missed it in editing. They're in space until you find out it's a planet, and everybody eats strawberry shortcake for every meal. If you like Alien plagiarism, you might not hate this.

Here's the trailer. Not work safe because of boobs.
:nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UypDHNiKbE4 :nws:

Is it good? It looks fun. Those effects are fantastic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is it good? It looks fun. Those effects are fantastic.

It's really dreary, but atmospheric in that great early 80s way for about the first half. Most of the performances are pretty weak, but it's got a great score and sound design. I don't know if that's fun in the traditional sense--maybe more like if Stanley Kubrick was given a bad script and the cast of a Friday the 13th film. The effects work is slick as hell, though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jack Gladney posted:

maybe more like if Stanley Kubrick was given a bad script and the cast of a Friday the 13th film

I'm so sold.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Forbidden World is pretty fun as Alien rip-offs go. Galaxy of Terror is more oppressive but also a little dull in places.

Forbidden World also has David St. Hubbins' bossy girlfriend as a hot lady scientist.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not really close to what I meant, it works pretty well for checking latest releases and stuff though. If theres a way on rottentomatoes to filter movies by film festival that would be pretty cool and maybe you could provide a direct link? I wasn't able to find it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Forbidden World is pretty fun as Alien rip-offs go. Galaxy of Terror is more oppressive but also a little dull in places.

Forbidden World also has David St. Hubbins' bossy girlfriend as a hot lady scientist.

Galaxy of Terror is amazing because the whole vibe of it, the sets, the telepathy, and the pyramid motif all make it the closest we could ever get to a film version of the early drafts for Alien.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also it has the exchange:

"Aren't you afraid?"
"Too scared to be."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Criminal Minded posted:

Also it has the exchange:

"Aren't you afraid?"
"Too scared to be."

That's tight.

My favorite line is in the under-appreciated film Sphere.

Sam Jackson posted:

Are you afraid of dying, Norman?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

Galaxy of Terror is amazing because the whole vibe of it, the sets, the telepathy, and the pyramid motif all make it the closest we could ever get to a film version of the early drafts for Alien.

That's the one with Marjoe, right? I always get it confused with the one that's Seven Samurai where each one has a spaceship.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

That's the one with Marjoe, right? I always get it confused with the one that's Seven Samurai where each one has a spaceship.

No, that's Star Crash, which is also good. Galaxy of Terror has Joanie Cunningham.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

penismightier posted:

No, that's Star Crash, which is also good. Galaxy of Terror has Joanie Cunningham.

think you mean Battle Beyond the Stars, Roger Corman's Seven Samurai

unless there's more than one sic-fi version out there :|

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The 7 Samurai one is Battle Beyond the Stars (with a screenplay by John Sayles!) Though the Japanese film Message From Space is also basically 7 Samurai.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cerv posted:

think you mean Battle Beyond the Stars, Roger Corman's Seven Samurai

unless there's more than one sic-fi version out there :|

Right, I meant Star Crash is the one with Marjoe.

We need a chart.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

Right, I meant Star Crash is the one with Marjoe.

We need a chart.

I was confused because Star Crash also has telepathy as a major plot device and Roger Corman spaceship corridors. Plus blonde lady nudity, glowing spaceships, and lasers drawn onto the negative.

I may actually have never seen Galaxy of Terror, although I feel like I did because I saw the other three he did at the same time.

Surely someone has written something out there about how Corman makes films that are pastiches of other Corman films while attempting to rip off the work of others.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, if a camera tilts horizontally, like say for a Dutch angle, you might describe the camera as "rotating along the X axis" right? Like, the X axis is the roll axis?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey, if a camera tilts horizontally, like say for a Dutch angle, you might describe the camera as "rotating along the X axis" right? Like, the X axis is the roll axis?

Correct. Rotating along the Y axis would be if camera were tilting up and down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toebone posted:

Correct. Rotating along the Y axis would be if camera were tilting up and down.

That's what I thought, thanks. Been a while since geometry class.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you say "along the x axis" it makes me think you mean panning. What you're describing isn't really along an axis but I would call it "rotating about the z axis" where a horizontal pan would be "about the y axis"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are you going to try and explain Battlefield Earth to a blind robot or something?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are you going to try and explain Battlefield Earth to a blind robot or something?

Yes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

At least we finally found the target audience.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

I was confused because Star Crash also has telepathy as a major plot device and Roger Corman spaceship corridors. Plus blonde lady nudity, glowing spaceships, and lasers drawn onto the negative.

I may actually have never seen Galaxy of Terror, although I feel like I did because I saw the other three he did at the same time.

Surely someone has written something out there about how Corman makes films that are pastiches of other Corman films while attempting to rip off the work of others.

It's how he saved money. Spend on some nice fancy model work and spaceship explosions for one movie, recycle those shots in the others.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042876/?ref_=nm_knf_i4

There are some others in this style, like a Jet Li movie iirc.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's how he saved money. Spend on some nice fancy model work and spaceship explosions for one movie, recycle those shots in the others.

Just like Star Trek!

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 28, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
e: whoops

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Rotating around the x axis is tilting. Movement along the x axis is tracking or trucking.

Rotating around the y axis is panning.
Movement along the y axis is generally craning, since it is only done with a crane.

Rotating around the z axis is dutching.
Movement along the z axis is pushing, pulling, or dollying.

If you hang a taut string between your eyes and a tree in the distance, the string is the z axis. If you punch the string through the middle of a postcard picture of the tree, so that you're now looking at a 2D representation of the tree hanging in front of you, instead of the actual tree... Then moving the picture closer or farther away from you, along the string, is moving it along the z axis. Spinning it around the string so that it isn't level anymore is rotating it around the z axis. Make sense?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Rotating around the x axis is tilting. Movement along the x axis is tracking or trucking.

Rotating around the y axis is panning.
Movement along the y axis is generally craning, since it is only done with a crane.

Rotating around the z axis is dutching.
Movement along the z axis is pushing, pulling, or dollying.

If you hang a taut string between your eyes and a tree in the distance, the string is the z axis. If you punch the string through the middle of a postcard picture of the tree, so that you're now looking at a 2D representation of the tree hanging in front of you, instead of the actual tree... Then moving the picture closer or farther away from you, along the string, is moving it along the z axis. Spinning it around the string so that it isn't level anymore is rotating it around the z axis. Make sense?

Dope, thanks.

But what's the difference between tilting and dutching?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dope, thanks.

But what's the difference between tilting and dutching?

Tilting is looking up or down (the X-axis extends to your left and right). Dutching is like leaning your head to the left and right.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I kind of thought dutching involved lowering it (down in the y-axis) and then tilting it upwards (around the x-axis) and slightly skewing it (rotating around the z-axis). Like a small person squinting upwards.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shanty posted:

I kind of thought dutching involved lowering it (down in the y-axis) and then tilting it upwards (around the x-axis) and slightly skewing it (rotating around the z-axis). Like a small person squinting upwards.

Tons of shots involve multiple camera movements, but dutch angle shots are most noticeable by the fact that the top of the frame isn't parallel to the horizon.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Skwirl posted:

Tons of shots involve multiple camera movements, but dutch angle shots are most noticeable by the fact that the top of the frame isn't parallel to the horizon.

Ah, thanks. :)

PostwarMutant
Oct 30, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

drat I thought Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror were the same movie! Off to Netflix I go.

Fake edit: Netflix has a 77 minute version streaming, with an 82 minute director's cut on disc. Worth waiting for the latter?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PostwarMutant posted:

drat I thought Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror were the same movie! Off to Netflix I go.

Fake edit: Netflix has a 77 minute version streaming, with an 82 minute director's cut on disc. Worth waiting for the latter?
From Wikipedia:

quote:

This set also includes the original Allan Holzman cut that was rejected by Roger Corman due to having humor, while Corman wanted the film to be done as a straight sci-fi/horror film
The movie is pretty goofy to begin with; I fail to see how it could make it worse. The music is probably the most un(?)intentionally comedic part of the theatrical.

I watched the 77 min cut yesterday and maybe I was just in the wrong mood for it, but I thought it was a waste of time. Galaxy of Terror isn't exactly a good movie but at least it tried to do something a little novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I watched Love Exposure a couple of days ago and loved it. I was wondering if there was a list of officially translated Shion Sono films anywhere? I'd quite like to work through the rest of them and while the obvious ones would be easy to find, I wouldn't be sure if the ones that I couldn't find are just hard to get hold of, or have actually never been translated.