Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booga
Aug 20, 2007

This isn't laziness though, they reused this shot because a stuntwoman was severely injured while filming the one they where going to use and didn't have enough time to reshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kennel posted:

From the schadenfreude thread

I love these kinds of theme park mishaps

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Booga posted:

This isn't laziness though, they reused this shot because a stuntwoman was severely injured while filming the one they where going to use and didn't have enough time to reshoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8RPO87vSc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even big-budget animated movies do this. Not to the extent of TV cartoons, but it still happens quite a bit. Getting the multiple layers of each character to line up is a bitch to. I can't recall a single scene I worked on where the layers matched up perfectly and needed no work. Every scenes needs loads of massaging in the ink & paint process as well as final editing.

Also some (all?) cgi characters have walk and run cycles that are usually some exact number of frames long. If there is a longer scene with uniform camera motion where the characters stay still relative to the camera, and you always advance exactly X frames, it will look like the characters are sliding across the scenery at a fast pace.

e:

Ghostlight posted:

He-Man is amazing for re-used frames. I think He-Man has like five different ways of entering a scene, tops. He-Man strides in from side. He-Man leaps down from top. He-Man rolls for some reason. I can't even name more than that because watching it as an adult you just get numb to the number of times someone walks in from the side of the frame before standing and talking, or the sheer number of times He-Man has to leap down from above. It would be amazing to have access to their cel library.

My favorite animation has always been "He-Man runs toward the camera and punches it"

Wheany has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jul 27, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Booga posted:

eeldvark
Apr 22, 2014

Half way through this gif I was sure/hoping/fearing that Megatron was about to mount marble Lincoln.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wheany posted:

I love these kinds of theme park mishaps
Then this one's for you:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

eeldvark posted:

Half way through this gif I was sure/hoping/fearing that Megatron was about to mount marble Lincoln.

Now I want to see that, too.

If it wasn't 4am on a Monday morning, I'd make it for you.

Forti
May 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Turns out they were right, a lot of these cartoons were literally traced and reused crap over and over.

Even disney reused a lot of frames from older films for things like the dancing scene in Beauty and the Beast being the same frames as the one from Sleeping Beauty.

Turns out animation is hard and expensive, there's no point spending loads doing something that someone already animated well before, just use that.

Hannh-Barbera did turn it into an art form though :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Forti posted:

Even disney reused a lot of frames from older films for things like the dancing scene in Beauty and the Beast being the same frames as the one from Sleeping Beauty.
Disney reused a TON.

I think it's more fascinating than anything else.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
IIRC The Lion King also frame-by-frame copied sections from a Japanese animation with a similar theme...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Hirayuki posted:

Then this one's for you:

Haha, you're right :allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Booga posted:

Perhaps, but it stands as a bizarre instance of a director ripping himself off ripping someone else off.

BAYCEPTION

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC The Lion King also frame-by-frame copied sections from a Japanese animation with a similar theme...
It's more of an overall character design/scene composition than actual frame tracing though. No animation was actually reused.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Disney reused a TON.

I think it's more fascinating than anything else.
It looks like it would be almost as much work to edit an existing frame into a new one as it would be to just make a new one from scratch. Is this due to material costs or something rather than laziness?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Well, they've already got a smooth animation laid out in those frames, so with a little editing they still get that smoothness without starting from scratch. Plus it means they don't have to worry about fine details such as facial expression or the way the tail moves while they're animating. Then again there are a few changes, look at the differences between the Baloo and Little John dances. The Orangutan slaps the ground as he dances, whereas the chicken does not. I'm actually pretty impressed by their copying frames, never would have spotted it if it hadn't have been pointed out.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

It looks like it would be almost as much work to edit an existing frame into a new one as it would be to just make a new one from scratch. Is this due to material costs or something rather than laziness?

They filmed real people doing those moves and then blew them up and redrew them painstakingly frame by frame in furry form. I'm sure it was waaay easier to copy the guy who already got the drawings down then to do that over again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CampingCarl posted:

Animation is done in stages. A big chunk of work is designing movement, frame composition, pacing etc. and only then actual characters are drawn over the "scaffolding". They basically saved a lot of initial work and could just go from an advanced stage.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

CampingCarl posted:

I think a lot of those may not have been copied from each other, but rather both working from the same reference shoot (or straight up the same rotoscope material). Disney did a lot of those live action references, and for complicated movements like dancing, it's easier to use something that's already on file if you don't have the budget or time to shoot a unique dance.

edit: sort of beaten BUT I HAVE GIFS

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Those prop signs in the background are amazing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Booga posted:

I wasn't putting it up to suggest it was laziness - cartoons and CGI don't reuse because they're lazy either. It's actually kind of a genius repurposing - and from memory it's not the only scene he pilfers from The Island.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

oval office raja posted:

Utopia, Channel 4 series

[...]

It's really pretty and really brutal.

Just marathoned the first season based solely on this post. Great show, thanks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There's also a major difference between "yeah we put a gently caress ton of effort into making this look good then changed the details and reused the old base once or twice" and "we reused literally the same 5 frames of animation rough 5,000 times." I had no idea Disney did that until somebody pointed it out and, all told, it's still top notch animation. Reusing old animations with new characters like that still takes a lot of effort. Disney always paid a lot of attention to everything going on in the scene. It looked more alive because, well, just look at those dancing gifs. With the exception of the royal wedding scenes where it makes sense for everybody to stand around not moving there's lots of stuff going on. Compare that to...uh...this.

The only thing moving is Skeletor's arm. The panther just stand there and doesn't even breathe. Looks like a statue.

Then you have this sort of thing. He-Man is making this awkward squatting motion where his hair stays perfectly still like a helmet. His facial expression is totally static and it looks like his hands, as well as much of his body, is just copy/pasted.

But we know that He-Man doesn't suffer from helmet hair because his golden locks flow in the wind whenever there is wind but...uh...look at She Ra's hair.

It literally stops moving. Not only that but the part of the unicorn's mane that she is holding onto is apparently not attached to the mane at all. Most of her and He-Man are completely static. The mane also somehow manages to, all at once, completely defy the wind that was otherwise blowing it backwards and fall back down over its neck, all at the same time.

And how often did we see Skeletor do this?

Oh, right.

Practically every episode.

This show led to a toy company making literally billions of dollars.

edit: I'm a dummy, that was She Ra. I really, really should know that.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jul 27, 2014

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I was going to say they really look like Mr. Olympia contender Kai Greene, but Kai Greene himself beat me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7uodxedx9c

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
If there isn't already at least one Youtube video featuring every single instance of a particular recycled animation from He-Man, there should be.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rayjenkins posted:

Before I forget, is this CGI or practical effects?

You want to know the "how", I would really like to know the "why".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scalded schlong posted:

Because Hulk smash

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Rayjenkins posted:

Before I forget, is this CGI or practical effects?

CG because that's clearly camera warp going on with hulk's dick

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And how often did we see Skeletor do this?

Oh, right.

Practically every episode.

Look man, Skeletor likes jerking off invisible dicks. It's his thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
His body's not the only thing that's blue.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

scalded schlong posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disney Animation Studios was also keeping barely afloat in the Sword in the Stone/Robin Hood era. They were a skeleton crew. I'm sure they'd have been happy to have been doing all their work from the ground-up, but it wasn't feasible. They went nearly bankrupt with Sleeping Beauty, and it took a long time to recover.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Not just western cartoons doing it.

My favorite show for reused animation was the old spiderman cartoon. Any montage of web-swinging would just be the same 3 or 4 animations played in sequence a few times in a row.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr_Amazing posted:

Not just western cartoons doing it.

My favorite show for reused animation was the old spiderman cartoon. Any montage of web-swinging would just be the same 3 or 4 animations played in sequence a few times in a row.

Aren't both of those also shot-for-shot from a Bruce Lee movie?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Jackie Chan.

You racist.

There's also a Boondocks/Naruto one that I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jul 28, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Codependent Poster posted:

Look man, Skeletor likes jerking off invisible dicks. It's his thing.

I'LL GET YOU YET HE-MAN

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So, is there more of HULK SMASH? :shepspends:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cats.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chard posted:

So these are from that new-ish version I didn't know about? Guess kids will watch anything.

I'm not a huge fan of the animation, but its actually a pretty good show

• Locked thread