Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mod sassinator posted:

it's all those niche apps that actually matter in my experience though. stuff like controlling your security system, wireless speakers, depositing checks in your bank, etc

that's how the Mac vs Windows battle worked out, though back in the 80s it wasn't a big deal that there were several major brands that were all incompatible

"we can't use macs, this one specific app won't run, we have to use windows!"

guess who taught businesses and consumers to think that way in the 1990s? how's it feel now motherfuckers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

remember when they hosed all early winpho adopters by making 7 and 8 completely different lol

and despite having an extremely limited hardware ecosystem microsoft just couldn't port the new unified kernel to the older hardware, even for their flagship nokia phones

they also made up some bullshit about new display resolutions being a limiting factor, then allowed hardware manufacturers to release low end winphones with exactly the same resolution they had forced everyone to use in winpho7

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

and despite having an extremely limited hardware ecosystem microsoft just couldn't port the new unified kernel to the older hardware, even for their flagship nokia phones

they also made up some bullshit about new display resolutions being a limiting factor, then allowed hardware manufacturers to release low end winphones with exactly the same resolution they had forced everyone to use in winpho7
and this was msft's brand new, clean sheet of paper, no legacy cruft, everything under central control from the beginning reboot of their mobile strategy

and they managed to completely gently caress it up it in less than one generation

hell of a company you ran there, ballmer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they entered the market late, with a feature set slightly better than what apple had launched with three years earlier, then decided in less than a year that they were going to go a completely different direction and both the hardware and software stack were going to be rebuilt from the ground up.

why the gently caress did they launch anything in 2010? because microsoft.

gently caress, they would have made more money selling winmo 6.5 for another year

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
don't forget the kin, 2 years, 1 billion usd and it was pulled from the market after being on sale for 2 months

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

there were approximately 0 users of wp7, so porting to old hardware would have benefited no one

the bigger problem was leaving developers out in the cold: wp7 apps didn't run on wp8 devices without significant modifications

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gently caress, they would have made more money selling winmo 6.5 for another year

i am pretty sure you can still buy brand new winmo 6.5 devices today in 2014, because there are shitloads of legacy users on old fuckin line-of-business apps. line of business apps were about the only reason to buy windows mobile in the first place.

microsoft had zero forwards-compatibility for line-of-business apps running on winmo/wince moving to wp7, and then broke poo poo again with wp8

can't very well blame people for not migrating in any hurry

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Metrication posted:

don't forget the kin, 2 years, 1 billion usd and it was pulled from the market after being on sale for 2 months

that's just the surface.
remember they bought Danger, producers of the very successful SideKick mobile device, and had them work on the kin. however they killed the sidekick and the danger OS and forced them to use windows CE. this led to most of the danger people leaving microsoft and forming a mobile OS company called Android, which was subsequently purchased by google.

also they lost a bunch of sidekick user data in a botched database update because they didn't have anyone that knew how those systems worked anymore

pram
Jun 10, 2001
roz ho :yayclod:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

also they lost a bunch of sidekick user data in a botched database update because they didn't have anyone that knew how those systems worked anymore
someone tried to explain to roz ho that they shouldnt push through the update because they didnt have a recent backup of the user date and they werent entirely sure how everything was supposed to work. roz said this poo poo was already too far behind schedule so just push the loving update or ill find someone who will. welp.

even funnier, sidekick stored all user data in the cloud. like, ALL of it. it was way ahead of its time in a lot of ways, but that just made msft's bungling of the back end even more hilariously catastrophic

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

has roz ho done anything that wasnt hilariously bad? i thought presiding over a ppc version of office for two years past the intel mac release was a pretty awesome move.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Metrication posted:

when it was pulled from the market there was an update which was being held up by the carriers. that update would have added, among other things, a calendar.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the bigger problem was leaving developers out in the cold: wp7 apps didn't run on wp8 devices without significant modifications

I'm fairly certain this is false

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

speaking of office for Mac, where the hell is office 2014 for Mac?

all I want is a version of lync that has things like "tabbed windows" and "nick completion" and "can stay running for an hour straight without crashing"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm fairly certain this is false

it is. most wp7 apps worked just fine. there were sometimes issues, and to take advantage of new features the developers had to do some things differently

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

minivanmegafun posted:

all I want is a version of lync that has things like "tabbed windows" and "nick completion" and "can stay running for an hour straight without crashing"

probably some bullshit in-fighting from the windows department that thinks "if we make office for mac poo poo then we can sell more os licenses!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Thanks Ants posted:

probably some bullshit in-fighting from the windows department that thinks "if we make office for mac poo poo then we can sell more os licenses!"
the government would have done msft and its shareholders such a favor if theyd broken them up in the late 90s

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

having said that, ipad gets mobile office apps, and windows tablets get office 2013 with slightly further spaced out buttons. maybe its giving msft too much credit to imply they are doing anything on purpose or to a plan.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

minivanmegafun posted:

i was lazy and didnt translate a .ppt (which was like 6 rotating slides) into a keynote file for a display and powerpoint had crashed (literally seized the computer) within 4 hours. lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dump (dont use microsoft products)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
lync is a massive loving piece of poo poo in every respect. it took close to a minute for me to receive a message sent to me by someone sitting right beside me. email would have been faster. the voice chat uses tons of bandwidth and sounds like poo poo. the UI is complete garbage

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

vapid cutlery posted:

lync is a massive loving piece of poo poo in every respect. it took close to a minute for me to receive a message sent to me by someone sitting right beside me. email would have been faster. the voice chat uses tons of bandwidth and sounds like poo poo. the UI is complete garbage

sir (or madam) please refrain from signing your post. thanks

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

i just want a MS file viewer for OSX. I ddont need to edit poo poo but I need to see stupid word docs, visio and powerpoint how they were meant 2 be seen.

I guess i could parallelelels into win 7 but whatever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pages and keynote are free .. ??

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya pages

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

NUMBERS

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

pages and keynote are free .. ??

can they open MS files tho?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah they can hth

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

welp consider me jiggled

BRB installing some stuff

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

they can save them also

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
they might only be able to open docx not doc but that feels wrong to me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i've never had them not open something. and they really open them, not like google docs open them.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Thanks Ants posted:

same bullshit probably goes for itunes on windows

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

i just want a MS file viewer for OSX. I ddont need to edit poo poo but I need to see stupid word docs, visio and powerpoint how they were meant 2 be seen.

I guess i could parallelelels into win 7 but whatever

they haven't even created new office viewers for windows since 2007 lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
consider openlibre office my friend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

consider openlibre office my friend

consider setting fire to your testicles.

it will be rough;y as effective at interacting with the files you actually need to work with on a daily basis

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

doubt he needs his nuts on a daily basis

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

vapid cutlery posted:

*team lead starts voice Lync chat*
*i spin my chair around*
"did you mean to do that?"
"no I pushed like command-shift-v and it did that, sorry."

*person in remote office in next state starts voice Lync chat*
*lync chrashes, I restart it*
"just call me on the drat phone if you need to talk to me"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

release the corporate FaceTime tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there were approximately 0 users of wp7, so porting to old hardware would have benefited no one

statistically speaking, i don't exist

i had both a samsung focus and a lumia 800

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread