Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Satanic Panic is basically all about white suburban women feeling guilty for giving strangers care of their children in a conservative era that idealized the 1950s and told them they were bad mothers if they didn't obsess over home and family to the exclusion of everything else. Of course, that idealized 1950s was the real false recovered memory, put there by the real devil (Reagan) and his coven of witches (Phyllis Schlafly and talk radio).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Satanic Panic is basically all about white suburban women feeling guilty for giving strangers care of their children in a conservative era that idealized the 1950s and told them they were bad mothers if they didn't obsess over home and family to the exclusion of everything else. Of course, that idealized 1950s was the real false recovered memory, put there by the real devil (Reagan) and his coven of witches (Phyllis Schlafly and talk radio).

hm ok yes but what about the reptilian illuminati

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Made the mistake of looking at Facebook earlier and noticed one of the completely insane people I'm friends with still, had made some post about how the border child crisis is going to come out one day as being something Obama is involved in, like that one day we'll see evidence that he met with central american governments to do this because politics or NWO or whatever. The guy's brother is equally insane and when they get posting together it's like an endless loop of insanity.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Seventh Arrow posted:

wow racism

next thing you know people are posting der ewige eidechse like it was a documentary

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Finally had to unfriend my moms friend on facebook. I had known her casually for years and she was always really into astrology, and overall was kind of a hippy. As time went on I noticed she would post more and more from NaturalNews (before I had any idea what that site really was). At first it was just stuff about how some food products are unsafe, etc. Them after a while she started to seem to care more about gun rights for some reason, until finally she posted it: "It was a #falseflag" in relation to Sandy Hook. I think that site broke her. Whatever, she isn't going to be a part of my life anymore anyway.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
FoodBabe is also an "Unfriend On Sight" sort of thing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

QuarkJets posted:

Uniform dark energy is one idea. Non-uniform dark energy density could work just as well as an explanation for the expansion of the universe, and this has not been ruled out like you've claimed.

Given all that we know about the universe, it seems unlikely that a single particle is responsible for 27% of the mass of the universe. It would not be surprising if the first WIMP that we discover comes in 3 flavors, for instance.

Occam's razor is not a well-respected argument in physics. The universe is a complex place, and every time that we try to answer a question in a simple way we find that we just wind up with even more questions. Stupid reality always likes to create scenarios that break our beautiful theorems, things like neutrinos having mass and the matter-antimatter asymmetry. It sure would be simple if the universe was just Newtonian and we didn't have to worry about challenges to our basic understanding of everything, although I wouldn't want to live in that boring place.

Do you have some experience studying dark matter or dark energy, beyond the casual sense? I wrote a chapter on dark matter in my PhD thesis, which I wrote while I was working at the LHC. Trust me when I say that I know a few things about dark matter and that I'm not the only one who hypothesizes that there could be a dark matter particle hierarchy. If we're colleagues on this matter, and you're not just some guy on the Internet working off of wikipedia, would you mind toning down the condescension? I'm presenting valid ideas and you're brushing them off as though physicists aren't interested in them, but that's simply not the case. The idea that dark matter could be composed of a hierarchy of particles is not new, nor is it discredited. The idea that dark matter has its own Standard Model is definitely going into science fiction territory (simply because we know so little about dark matter), but nothing about the idea lacks credibility.

e: (do you really believe that Rome had robots?)
I apologize if I was condescending; without meaning to add to that impression, it's simply that, before now, I've only ever heard speculation about such invisible universes from people who were working from a pop-science understanding of the physics involved. I did study physics in grad school myself, but it sounds as though you would be the more experienced voice on the subject.

Being that I evidently misjudged you, do you recommend anyone who argues in favor of the idea? It does still strike me as a very heavy theory to be supported by some missing mass and energy, but if it has serious supporters, I imagine I should at least be willing to hear what they say.

(And no, the title is essentially a joke.)

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Where did that title come from? Is this some kind of Paradox alt-hist game I've missed?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Where did that title come from? Is this some kind of Paradox alt-hist game I've missed?

As I recall, someone wanted to do a Roman flavored D&D (game, not forum) campaign, and Strudel Man wanted to play a warforged character, which are basically magic robots.

It's one of the best redtext titles.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

I apologize if I was condescending; without meaning to add to that impression, it's simply that, before now, I've only ever heard speculation about such invisible universes from people who were working from a pop-science understanding of the physics involved. I did study physics in grad school myself, but it sounds as though you would be the more experienced voice on the subject.

Being that I evidently misjudged you, do you recommend anyone who argues in favor of the idea? It does still strike me as a very heavy theory to be supported by some missing mass and energy, but if it has serious supporters, I imagine I should at least be willing to hear what they say.

(And no, the title is essentially a joke.)

Well, at this point it is basically all conjecture.

Speculation wise it it does put certain strong conditions on what dark matter can be. The most important (even before the need that there be several different dark matter particles) is that they are able to interact strongly with each other even if they barely interact with standard matter (other than their gravitational effect).

Anyway, whilst dark matter could make up a whole structured entity of its own perhaps with its own versions of planets etc (making our non-dark matter worlds a small and pale reflection of it) is conceivable and can't currently be disproved it is a couple of big leaps away from what we've managed to observe so far. That said what we've managed to observe so far is very little beyond some measurements of the gross distribution of dark matter.

[edit] I have never written a thesis on any of this...

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 28, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

razorrozar posted:

As I recall, someone wanted to do a Roman flavored D&D (game, not forum) campaign, and Strudel Man wanted to play a warforged character, which are basically magic robots.

And I always thought it was a childish rebuttal of a discussion of Hero of Alexandria's autonomous, mobile puppet machines which could wheel themselves onto a stage, open their curtain and show an entire play using mechanical puppets without any human intervention.

Rather disappointed now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYGqISsfB0

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

razorrozar posted:

What an unfun DM. Hope that campaign didn't have clerics and mages either then. Or any races other than human. :rolldice:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

What an unfun DM. Hope that campaign didn't have clerics and mages either then. Or any races other than human. :rolldice:
No, no, not a warforged. Nothing so pedestrian as that. It was, in fact, a hyperintelligent psionic toaster. In a historical GURPS setting, not actually D&D, so yes, no mages or non-humans.

Neither the character nor the ire which prompted the title were particularly serious. I've definitely taken a liking to it, though.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Strudel Man posted:

No, no, not a warforged. Nothing so pedestrian as that. It was, in fact, a hyperintelligent psionic toaster. In a historical GURPS setting, not actually D&D, so yes, no mages or non-humans.

Neither the character nor the ire which prompted the title were particularly serious. I've definitely taken a liking to it, though.

My apologies for misremembering so badly. I read it from one of your posts a year or so ago and I guess it got mangled in my memory since then.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

razorrozar posted:

My apologies for misremembering so badly. I read it from one of your posts a year or so ago and I guess it got mangled in my memory since then.
Hah, no worries. It's really one of those things where the mystery of what the title could possibly mean is considerably more interesting than the truth.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Strudel Man posted:

Hah, no worries. It's really one of those things where the mystery of what the title could possibly mean is considerably more interesting than the truth.

Anyway what the poo poo are they talking about, Vulcan created a ton of robots.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

But how many did he give to Rome? I bet he kept them all to himself, the jerk.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The only reason D&D doesn't believe Rome had Robots is because of forum chemtrails.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Seventh Arrow posted:

Conspiracy Thread: hm ok yes but what about the reptilian illuminati

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
It amuses me endlessly that the reptile illuminati is a real conspiracy theory. Thank you David Icke !

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It blew my mind when I first heard about the "reptilian stuff" and out of morbid curiosity, did a youtube search on it. These people will actually post videos of politicians and celebrities with comments like, "see the way her eyes dart back and forth, like a predator lizard would" or "listen to his speech, as if it's difficult to form the words with a forked tongue." I think they're so far down the rabbit hole that the rabbits have given up and moved elsewhere.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

We really do want to turn u all into lizard food btw. Just wait until the hyper-intelligent giant monitor lizards get here, you'll be hosed to poo poo.

maybe I shouldn't have said that

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think they're so far down the rabbit hole that the rabbits have given up and moved elsewhere.

Watership Down Syndrome

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
The most consistent conspiracy stuff I see on FB is 'Marxist' friends claiming that the shooting down of MH17 was a CIA false flag op. This also then gets tied up with NATO grand strategy stuff and of course, the defense of Putin as an anti imperialist fighter. Maybe we'll find out the CIA were behind it, in the meantime I don't want to see your globalresearch.ca links anymore bro.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did the reptilian illuminati stuff come before or after the release of the Super Mario Bros movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

It blew my mind when I first heard about the "reptilian stuff" and out of morbid curiosity, did a youtube search on it. These people will actually post videos of politicians and celebrities with comments like, "see the way her eyes dart back and forth, like a predator lizard would" or "listen to his speech, as if it's difficult to form the words with a forked tongue." I think they're so far down the rabbit hole that the rabbits have given up and moved elsewhere.

There's also the people who think that video compression artifacts are the reptillians showing their true form.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

Did the reptilian illuminati stuff come before or after the release of the Super Mario Bros movie?

You have to go back to the 'V' miniseries, but it could predate that.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It occurs to me that maybe I posted this in the wrong thread a minute ago.

razorrozar posted:

It's not an email, but...

I've been watching a lot of Oculus Rift videos and I wanted to see if any studies had been done on whether virtual reality can cause body dissociation, so I looked it up. Third Google result was this lovely site.

EducateYourself/Chemtrails posted:

Air elemental beings identified by the ancient Greeks (& Paracelsus) as Sylphs are stimulated and energized by orgone generators and will literally vacumn up and transmute chemtrails into harmless substances. I realize this is hard to believe by the average person who is unaware of these etheric beings, but the evidence can be seen right over your head if you know what to look for

EducateYourself/Mind Control posted:

The plans to create a mind controlled workers society have been in place for a long time. The current technology grew out of experiments that the Nazis started before World War II and intensified during the time of the Nazi concentration camps when an unlimited supply of children and adults were available for experimentation. We've heard about the inhumane medical experiments performed on concentration camp prisoners, but no word was ever mentioned by the media and the TV documentaries of the mind control experiments. That was not to be divulged to the American public.

EducateYourself/Prevent Alien/Demonic Attacks posted:

We, Michael and Stephanie Relfe, discovered the following through our own experience. For background information, please read "The Mars Records", Books 1 and 2 which are free to download from https://www.themarsrecords.com. In those books you will learn how Michael was abducted once a month for a number of years. Later, in July 2001 Stephanie was abducted by reptilians when she was pregnant. They stole our two month old pre-term daughter.

EducateYourself/U.S. Concentration Camps posted:

It was a well kept secret but I had been chosen as mediator between sides between our country and the Overtakers. The schools were being organized at this moment to march the children to government camps and take them away from their parents. I managed to sneak up to the 20th street school where my youngest son was in 1st grade. I spotted him and grabbed him by the arm and we rushed down the street together. He said, "I've been calling you all day, hoping you'd come and get me."

EducateYourself/Forbidden Cures posted:

Not surprisingly, Flexner 'found' that any discipline that didn't use drugs to help cure the patient was tantamount to quackery and charlatanism. Medical schools that offered courses in bioelectric Medicine, Homeopathy or Eastern Medicine, for example, were told to either drop these courses from their curriculum or lose their accreditation and underwriting support. A few schools resisted for a time, but eventually most schools cooperated (or were closed down). A similar scenario was played out in Canada. It was attempted in England against Homeopathy, but it failed due to the personal intervention of the Royal Family who had received much relief and healing at the hands of Homeopathic healers in the 19th century. By the way, the AMA was found guilty of conspiracy against chiropractors in 1987 by a federal judge and fined a couple of million dollars. Here in America, a relentless campaign of misinformation, fraud, deception, and suppression of alternative therapies and healers has been in place for the better part of this century in order to keep highly effective alternative therapies from reaching any significant plateau of public awareness. Control is exerted through "news items" and propaganda from pro-establishment organizations like The American Medical Association, The American Cancer Society, The Diabetes Foundation, etc.; local medical boards; and government agencies like the FDA, The National Institute of Health (NIH), and The National Cancer Institute (NCI), The National Academy of Science, etc. with the full cooperation of main-stream media of course .

It's a loving hotbed of conspiracy insanity.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Everything is a conspiracy, if you try hard enough.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
So what's actually going on at the Bohemian Grove? It's just a bunch of rich old men getting drunk and naked right?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

made of bees posted:

So what's actually going on at the Bohemian Grove? It's just a bunch of rich old men getting drunk and naked right?

NIXON: But it's not just the ratty part of town. The upper class in San Francisco is that way. The Bohemian Grove, which I attend from time to time--it is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine, with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco.

Decorators. They got to do something. But we don't have to glorify it. You know one of the reasons fashions have made women look so terrible is because the goddamned designers hate women. Designers taking it out on the women. Now they're trying to get some more sexy things coming on again.

EHRLICHMAN: Hot pants.

NIXON: Jesus Christ.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

made of bees posted:

It's literally old powerful people going to the woods to play summer drama camp every year. And you can get in just by wearing a suit and looking like you belong.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

made of bees posted:

It's a summer camp for rich and powerful old men. They put on a play, talk, and drink. I guess the campers might talk about important things but it's not like they couldn't talk to each other at other times either. Alex Jones thinks it's a meeting for the illuminati or whatever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So my fiancée's brother has officially joined crazy town when it comes to conspiracies. For awhile, he was buying into the more common conspiracies (9/11 was caused by the government to invade foreign soil and the like) but in the past few months he's been believing that Amazon's drones will end the delivery services and post offices (because... Amazon is the only company that uses the post office? I'm not sure on the logic on this one) or that you shouldn't use Facebook because they track your location through mandatory geocaching (as opposed to just logging your IP... For whatever reason).

Whenever my fiancée tells me the latest BS he's started believing, I ask if he's onto the Reptilians yet, but he hasn't yet. I'm not sure if he's past the point of "shadowy conspiracies plotting world domination" or not with his "Big Company X is doing Sinister Thing Y".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

made of bees posted:

They don't get naked because it's bear country and that's just asking for trouble. If they want to get naked then they can wait a week or so when all the bears migrate a few miles east.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
30 miles south they can get naked with bears year-round.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sir Tonk posted:

So the US basically learned nothing from the Salem witch trials. Good to hear.

edit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_care_sex_abuse_hysteria

:suicide:

If I remember correctly a few years ago this forum got really into one of these cases thinking that it was a genuine conspiracy by the Republican party and if it was ever investigated George W. Bush and all his friends would disappear from the Earth and it would be sunshine and rainbows and Marx would descend to Earth and save us all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If I remember correctly a few years ago this forum got really into one of these cases thinking that it was a genuine conspiracy by the Republican party and if it was ever investigated George W. Bush and all his friends would disappear from the Earth and it would be sunshine and rainbows and Marx would descend to Earth and save us all.

It kind of was: a bunch of people in jail on unrelated charges decided to lie and be informants because they'd be rewarded with either cash or reduced sentences. It's basically the self-interested version of those kids who were confused into testifying at the McMartin trial.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I just had a friend on facebook send me a link to infowars about the REAL reason Obama brought Ebola to the US. This person is no longer my friend, on facebook or otherwise. My head actually hit the keyboard when I read that and he always seemed like a really nice guy too and it turns out he's a complete conspiracy nut :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Poison Jam posted:

I just had a friend on facebook send me a link to infowars about the REAL reason Obama brought Ebola to the US. This person is no longer my friend, on facebook or otherwise. My head actually hit the keyboard when I read that and he always seemed like a really nice guy too and it turns out he's a complete conspiracy nut :(.

Did you at least tell him first that the CDC has had samples of Ebola in the US for decades before you unfriended him? I want to know what the conspiracy nut response to that is.

• Locked thread