Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cernunnos posted:

Can someone explain this fully. It'll be Khans, Khans, Khans until the next set and then how will it go?
Dewey, Khans Khans
then Dewey Louie/third set Louie/third set IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

There's a rule in place for this. End of game, un-revealed Morph creatures are flipped face up to prove it.
If you cheat with Morphing a non-Morph card the game is a loss for you and you'll get DQed from an official event or (maybe) kicked out of your LGS for it.
I believe it's actually any time a morphed creature moves to another zone, period. So if you unsummon a morph, it's revealed, if you exile it face down, etc etc.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

One thing I can't figure out about Leyline.dec is why he has one O-Ring and two Banishing Lights. Why not three of one of them?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

vOv posted:

One thing I can't figure out about Leyline.dec is why he has one O-Ring and two Banishing Lights. Why not three of one of them?
Probably Maelstrom Pulse or something along those lines, Extirpate, Surgical, etc other stuff I'm forgetting.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

vOv posted:

Variety? :shrug:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

neetengie posted:

Probably Maelstrom Pulse or something along those lines, Extirpate, Surgical, etc other stuff I'm forgetting.

Makes sense.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Scanning the post-SDCC blogs for titbits.

The draft orders will be:
3xKhans
1x[Unknown Small], 2xKhans
2x[Unknown Large], 1x [Unknown Small]

So the third draft order is the opposite of later -> earlier sets we've been seeing lately. This draft order was literally the first thing they started from. While that much is bottom up and was taken as the foundation, design then strongly focused on the story they were telling over the course of the block. (It's dragons reappearing on Tarkir, everyone sodding knows it Maro.)

Maro keeps talking about difficulties with morph and how he'll address what they did to fix them in previews and spoiler articles. It does seem like this was a concern for them. Morph also apparently placed in the top 10 or even top 5 of mechanics Magic bloggers wanted back, which is surprising as hell to me.

On other things they were apparently concerned about : they're breaking the custom of separating specifically multicolour blocks from each other by four years for a reason, which will also be talking about closer to release.

They also acknowledge that framing the wedges as colour+ally+enemy is a bit weird, and this was also done for a reason.

Creative were the ones to bring back orcs.

Teferi, Planeswalker is specifically a pre-Mending Teferi from the past of the 'real' timeline. He is not an alternative universe present day Teferi.

The Commander decks will have secondary commanders as before: like the Planeswalker header cycle, these will all be monocoloured. They are still creatures though, representing characters from Magic's past who never got a card. Since Time Spiral articles often talked about how thay had to reach pretty far for nostalgic characters to give cards, I suspect we're mostly getting post-TS creatures.

Speed vs Cunning is named specifically for the Mardu and Jeskai traits. We should probably expect the 'preview' cards in the Duel Decks to be biased toward those wedges.

The Duel Deck Anthology reprints are bundles from the first four Duel Decks (Elves vs. Goblins, Jace vs. Chandra, Divine vs. Demonic & Garruk vs. Liliana), putting cards into the new frames.

:siren:Very important:siren:: You will see the bear-punching Temur Khan in a bearskin cloak on his card art.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 28, 2014

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Since Time Spiral articles often talked about how thay had to reach pretty far for nostalgic characters to give cards, I suspect we're mostly getting post-TS creatures.

I want Xantcha and Jodah and Takara. JUST SAYING.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I wonder what MSRP will be on this.

Longsaddle
Feb 2, 2006

"So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would."
Is there a link to the leylines coverage?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to see how they fixed morph. I can think of using double-faced cards if sleeves are involved, but not everyone uses sleeves.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

I want Xantcha and Jodah and Takara. JUST SAYING.

I don't want Jodah, he wasn't printed or mentioned on any cards or anything except the books until Time Spiral. I do want Varchild, Runebane, Disa the Restless, and all those other random other Ice Age dudes only mentioned in flavor text, though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait to see how they fixed morph. I can think of using double-faced cards if sleeves are involved, but not everyone uses sleeves.

I'm not sure which one of the relatively spurious 'problems' with morph you're referring to here, but the reference to the double-face suggestion makes me think you're talking about a plague of cheating with morphing out non-morph cards, in which case the answer is to observe the game rules that already exist.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

So what are some good bots to sell cards to? I just have Cardhoarder and MTGO academy on my list, but none of them wanted my foil Arcbound Ravager.

Elyv posted:

I don't want Jodah, he wasn't printed or mentioned on any cards or anything except the books until Time Spiral. I do want Varchild, Runebane, Disa the Restless, and all those other random other Ice Age dudes only mentioned in flavor text, though.
He does have a card though, Jodah's Avenger. misread

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This Legacy semifinal match is pretty silly. Meekstone and Rest in Peace on one side against BUG Delver, Null Rod and Liliana on the other side against Death and Taxes. Both players with no cards in hand, just draw, play a thing, don't attack, pass.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

qbert posted:

This Legacy semifinal match is pretty silly. Meekstone and Rest in Peace on one side against BUG Delver, Null Rod and Liliana on the other side against Death and Taxes. Both players with no cards in hand, just draw, play a thing, don't attack, pass.

BUG player finally broke through and can now att- oh wait Death and Taxes got to replay Batterskull. This game has been swinging back and forth in small increments. Oh wait Abrupt Decay got the germ token.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

qbert posted:

The Death and Taxes player in this match is such a whiny punk bitch. Look at him whipping cards across the table while he's losing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

neetengie posted:

So what are some good bots to sell cards to? I just have Cardhoarder and MTGO academy on my list, but none of them wanted my foil Arcbound Ravager.

Chances are you are going to struggle to move it at its "value". There's a lot of cards that have high buy-rates but nobody is buying them, it's kind of silly. Foil Blood Moons hypothetically buy for ~ 25 tickets but I've never been able to move mine because every bot has massive stock of both varieties.

MTGO card economics are bizarre.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I just played a prerelease event and opened 3 souls. I feel really lucky.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I just played a prerelease event and opened 3 souls. I feel really lucky.

Triplicate Souls, right? :haw:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Scanning the post-SDCC blogs for titbits.

The Commander decks will have secondary commanders as before: like the Planeswalker header cycle, these will all be monocoloured. They are still creatures though, representing characters from Magic's past who never got a card. Since Time Spiral articles often talked about how thay had to reach pretty far for nostalgic characters to give cards, I suspect we're mostly getting post-TS creatures.

Fblthp !!!

On another Khans note, people keep asking Maro about the shard names and he keeps saying people will adapt. Prepare for Abzan formerly known as Junk on coverage just like Robots formerly known as Affinity.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 28, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zorak posted:

Chances are you are going to struggle to move it at its "value". There's a lot of cards that have high buy-rates but nobody is buying them, it's kind of silly. Foil Blood Moons hypothetically buy for ~ 25 tickets but I've never been able to move mine because every bot has massive stock of both varieties.

Selling foils should typically be done to other players through the classifieds. Bots never give good credit for them unless it's a bot specifically for foils.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 28, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

drat, Death and Taxes is just completely beating the hell out of RUG Delver on SCG's stream. Lands? Why would you ever be allowed to get a land?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Is there a deck that deserves to get Wastelanded out of the game more than RUG Delver?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nope. Three wastelands in a game, just a total steamroll in that last round.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
And Death and Taxes won.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Obviously not watching the game I can't really speak, but it seems like RUG delver should be one of the more resilient decks against being wastelanded repeatedly, since like 80% of their deck is at one mana, 10% is at two, and the rest is at zero.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Oraculum Animi posted:

And Death and Taxes won.

Not surprising. DnT is a solid to good matchup against RUG.

cheetah7071 posted:

Obviously not watching the game I can't really speak, but it seems like RUG delver should be one of the more resilient decks against being wastelanded repeatedly, since like 80% of their deck is at one mana, 10% is at two, and the rest is at zero.

Well normally it is, but DnT decks complicate that with Rishadan port. That time not only did the DnT player have Ports, but also saw 3 Wastelands.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

That requires that you be allowed to keep one land to begin with.:classiclol:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm not familiar with much Central Asia/middle eastern history but what are the wedges named after? I assume RUG is the Timurid dynasty and it makes sense that it's based on savagery but what are the others?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zorak posted:

It's hard because the deck I own in person, the Rock, is something I love a lot, and need to test out a lot, but I sometimes have a hard time going to the LGS I'm a regular at, and there's nothing on the east side of town, and I don't have much tickets to spare to make it on MODO, so I was trying to sell off some stuff I got through drafts. Only have half of the dosh, it sucks man.

vOv posted:

Makes sense.
Meddling Mage is also a thing too, along with other stuff I'm forgetting.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 28, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Courtesy of Reddit for all the Colbert fans.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm not familiar with much Central Asia/middle eastern history but what are the wedges named after? I assume RUG is the Timurid dynasty and it makes sense that it's based on savagery but what are the others?

I can't speak to their names, but each of the Wedges has different cultural influences in their art style / dress / associated races.

Mardu (RWB) are clearly Mongolian, they've got a lot of Mongol Horde influences
Sultai (UBG) are Indian subcontinent, rockin' Nagas and Rakshasas
Jeskai (URW) are Tibet / martial China, sort of the archetype of the warrior monks
Temur (URG) are Siberian / north eastern asian tribes
Azban (WBG) are Turkmenistan / the Turkic States / Western China

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know anything about Central Asian history either but Mardu reminds me a lot of Marduk.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Sleep of Bronze posted:

SDCC Khans info

Also mentioned '- Instead of five pre-release cards, with one per color, it is now forty, with eight cards per color'.

:aaa: This is interesting if true

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Also mentioned '- Instead of five pre-release cards, with one per color, it is now forty, with eight cards per color'.

:aaa: This is interesting if true

Yes, get bent, Dawnbreaker Charioteers. This is a smart move. No card should be guaranteed by choosing a color.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Korak posted:

He's made a shitton of top 16s in the past few months since the ban went away. Honestly they really just need to get enough people to watch him or make sure opponents know about his past so he's not allowed to get away with what some players think he's getting away with. There was a recent article about his play and he's doing that "sloppy play" during the matches he wins 2-0 but super tight play if it goes to 1-1.

I caught a bit of him playing against Andrew Boswell in the swiss of the Legacy Open in Baltimore last week. Bertocini had 1 creature and 4 mana, main phase casts Snapcaster + flashback Inquisition. A few other actions take place, then he proceeds to attack with both creatures. Boswell was very quick about pointing out Snapcaster had summoning sickness, but I couldn't believe how smooth it was. Like, I was there specifically to watch his play, and he slipped it by me (and Boswell caught it) well before I even thought about calling a judge.

He also brings his "girlfriend" (I have no idea who she is) to every tournament, a redhead that's usually wearing something low cut as she sits next to him or stands behind him during matches. He's charismatic, people listen to the words of advice he gives, and he has a lot of high level players as friends. It is not as simple as just knowing about his past or getting people to watch him.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I wonder what MSRP will be on this.

It contains the first 4 duel deck sets, which ran at $20 each MSRP. That would make $80 the baseline, but I can't see them selling something that expensive in non-specialty stores. Duel Decks are usually considered a casual product and are typically available in mass-retail stores like Walmart/Target, where the most expensive Magic thing you usually see is fat packs/Commander/clash packs at $30.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Living the dream in M15 sealed.

Just cast In Garruk's Wake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Valicious posted:

Living the dream in M15 sealed.

Just cast In Garruk's Wake

:stonklol: 4 color i don't even.