Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

deaders posted:

Yeah obviously you will have to persuade them to leave the basement first but it is worth a try.

My boss suggested we go upstairs where there's light, but his suggestion was to just stand against a wall, sooooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I made a portrait in a rainstorm.

Static 1 by McMadCow, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
And printed in a sandstorm?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I think there's something wrong with your film guy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Great photo except for all the poo poo on top of it.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I think there's something wrong with your film guy.

if that's wrong I don't want to be right

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Wow, that shot was received 100% positive in person, it's interesting to see the different feeling shown here.

Anyway, the story is that I did that shoot in the rain, and two of my 120 rolls wound up soaked. The backing became stuck to the film itself and left marks on it. I thought the result was a happy accident in that I got to see the direct effect of the weather we were experiencing as marks on the film itself. I think that print looks pretty cool in person.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The shot itself is great, I'm just not digging all the marks.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It really makes the frame about KODAK.
e: It's a nice shot under all the grime, personally I'd chalk it up to "woulda been good" and drink until it didn't hurt.
e: Or go to town with the healing brush.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 18, 2014

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I like it!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It probably does look interesting as a print, but online it just looks like you put a terrible layer over the top in PS.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I like it, but I also don't know anything about film, portraits, or art in general.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I think it's really neat, but I could totally see how it resembles those old "grunge" forums signatures that were all the rage in the early 2000s.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Ah well, I suppose it's hit-or-miss, then. It definitely wasn't what I was planning on, but I thought it was a fun little detour from my usual approach. You'll all have to take my word for it that it's the scan of my actual print, and not a PS filter. v:shobon:v

365 Nog Hogger posted:

e: Or go to town with the healing brush.

I'd still be on my way to town a month from now if I started right now!

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 18, 2014

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I don't hate it or anything (it looks cool), but I love the tones around her neck and the softness of it compared to her "punkish" style, it's a neat balance and the grungy texture takes away from that a bit for me.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ashley
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Maybe McMadCow can loan you some texture.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Maybe McMadCow can loan you some texture.
:henget: hahaha

McMadCow I feel kinda split about that shot. I like it now that I know the story. Not sure before.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Turned the clarity and unsharp mask up to 11? Looks really overcooked to me.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

deaders posted:

Looks really overcooked to me.

Flickr kind of butchered that one on the processing. The resized ones looks quite different than the original.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7597174@N04/14659369066/sizes/o/

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 18, 2014

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

The whites of the eyes are bothering me. Only newborn babies have sclera that perfect.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I only tried whitening eyeballs once and the effect really creeped me out.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

Yeah I only tried whitening eyeballs once and the effect really creeped me out.

It can work out well if you just dodge it a bit and don't like, just use a 255/255/255 pure-white brush.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SoundMonkey posted:

It can work out well if you just dodge it a bit and don't like, just use a 255/255/255 pure-white brush.

It's like, how much more white could these eyes be? The answer is none. None more white.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Flickr kind of butchered that one on the processing. The resized ones looks quite different than the original.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7597174@N04/14659369066/sizes/o/

Flickr sharpening strikes again.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah the full size one looks less overdone, agreed with the others about the eyes as well.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I'm finally getting through my giant backlog, hopefully finding a few shots that I like.

Katie by McMadCow, on Flickr

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I like how this one turned out

Kylie by kschruder, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Any of you kids know who this is?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Any of you kids know who this is?

Ah, Andy Kaufman. Iconic.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

Ah, Andy Kaufman. Iconic.

I like you SM.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Dr. John?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:D Ding!

Glad I'm not the only person that enjoys Blues

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

I'm finally getting through my giant backlog, hopefully finding a few shots that I like.

Katie by McMadCow, on Flickr

Dreamy and softly lovely. Composition looks like a Mondrian.

Recent people shots! Some of these showed up in PAD, others didn't. Always want to hear more thoughts, though.

Mr Martin by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

B by thetzar, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

thetzar posted:

Dreamy and softly lovely. Composition looks like a Mondrian.

Recent people shots! Some of these showed up in PAD, others didn't. Always want to hear more thoughts, though.

Mr Martin by thetzar, on Flickr

B by thetzar, on Flickr

There's some about each one that bothers me. #1 tones are kinda flat. What does it look like in color? #2 the lighting is wonky as hell and not in a clever way. #3 everything but the dude's face is way blown out and hard to look at. #4 the shadows are distracting.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I actually like #1 because of it's flatness.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

4 is really funny because he has no idea what to do with his hands so he's sort of just gripping the table oddly.

toning and lighting all look good, just the people. So work more on directing and composition I think

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I feel like they'd all have their place in the correct context. An alternating grey and lighter-grey forum doesn't always make the best frame for portraits I've seen in here, but that doesn't mean they aren't exactly what's needed for a particular project.

Are the gelled lights in #2 diffused or something? I really like the look of them.

But yeah, guy in #4 looks like "Oh god, what do I do with my hands? What do people do with their hands? What do I normally do with my hands when I'm not thinking about my hands? Is this something a normal Earth-human does... I don't know... please just take my picture and let me go home now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Gent by alkanphel, on Flickr