Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

So it was a proto-Seven Soldiers Of Victory? That sounds like it's worth picking up, I don't suppose you have issue numbers.
See the yellow box in the image I linked :)

One other neat thing is that all 4 covers connect to form one biggie:

The Batman/SS issue is SS #11, the very next Squad issue.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love that The Spectre is haunting the background of his own cover.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It would actually be pretty interesting for someone to do a play by play of every event from each respective company through the years. We've already touched on Crisis, Legends and Millemium. The next from DC would be Cosmic Odyssey and then Invasion!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cosmic Odyssey had that awesome scene of Batman punching Orion, so it's alright by me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

It would actually be pretty interesting for someone to do a play by play of every event from each respective company through the years. We've already touched on Crisis, Legends and Millemium. The next from DC would be Cosmic Odyssey and then Invasion!
Is Cosmic Odyssey an event? It was just a 4-part miniseries. It was a great miniseries, but "event" is a bit big of a word for it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

redbackground posted:

Is Cosmic Odyssey an event? It was just a 4-part miniseries. It was a great miniseries, but "event" is a bit big of a word for it.

I'm mainly going off of what wikipedia is considering an event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_history_of_DC_Comics_crossover_events.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Final Crisis gets extra points for having one a couple of my all time favourite comic book moments and I'm not even that huge a DC reader, really

A couple of 'em are cheesy, but I definitely get chills of "oh man we're ramping up now" from this one

I mean how can you like comics and not love the line "You have 24 hours to save the universe, Lantern Jordan"

and then I can't find the panel for it, but when Superman finally arrives back on the scene and there's a page of the haggard good guys seeing the red streak in the sky, with the "Look...up in the sky" narration and it's honestly the coolest thing--like every time Goku showed up at the last minute all rolled int one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
G. Gordon Godfrey is a hilarious mental image.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean how can you like comics and not love the line "You have 24 hours to save the universe, Lantern Jordan"

Turns out it's pretty easy

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How about Infinity War and Infinity Crusade, the two events that exist solely to wank Thanos after Infinity Gauntlet was and did better than it had any right to?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hakkesshu posted:

Turns out it's pretty easy

Or, the other way around: it's incredibly hard to give a poo poo about Hal Jordan if your name is not Geoff Johns.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Apparently a lot of people like that Hal booty, but I never saw it when we have Alan Scott and Kyle Rayner, one of which kind of got ruined in the New 52 (no, I don't care that he's gay, I care that he no longer has the Starheart and he isn't a badass old man and the JSA is stuck in Earth 2 which is kind of getting hosed) and the other of which is Space Jesus and doesn't matter because Geoff Johns doesn't like Kyle Rayner. You ever get the feeling some characters should just STAY dead?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fear Itself is a tough one because while it's awful it did bring us this panel.

Also, I'll stand alone here, but Civil War is good as long as you consider it in the thematic and narrative context in which it was intended to be presented. It is simply Marvel doing 9/11 and, like how that event broke the irl US, it broke the superhero universe. People complain how all these people were suddenly acting different from character and betraying all this stuff they had stood for all their lives but they ignore the fact that that's exactly what happened in real life. There are a ton of people who were irrevocably broken by 9/11, who became horribly racist warmongers. We as a nation completely trashed principles we had long upheld as inviolate. In fact, the biggest difference between 9/11 and Civil War is that Tony ended up regretting what he did during Civil War whereas the leadership from that irl era do not.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I don't give a poo poo about Hal Jordan, but that didn't stop that line being totally sweet.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Gologle posted:

How about Infinity War and Infinity Crusade, the two events that exist solely to wank Thanos after Infinity Gauntlet was and did better than it had any right to?

War was cool because it involved a poo poo ton of characters. Crusade was bleh.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Random Stranger posted:

It didn't kill Valiant, but it did hit right at the moment when the house of cards collapsed. And yeah, the Image side of the crossover was absurdly late. Like eight months late. On the other hand, Image did eventually complete their incredibly lovely, incredibly incomprehensible work. I guess that makes Image United and even worse event. :v:

Speaking of incomplete Image-related crossovers, the cliffhanger at the end of Alan Moore's 1963 series was hilarious, and I'm disappointed that he was never able to follow up on it after Jim Lee flaked out. It looked like Alan was seriously fixing to bite the hand feeding him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

redbackground posted:

Was Cosmic Odyssey really that great? I mostly just remember it for John Stewart getting punked (the closest he ever came to an actual personality), as well as being the beginning point for endless nerdfights over Starlin's interpretation of the Anti-Life Equation as opposed to Kirby's, Morrison's, or Simonson's. Great Mignola art though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

minimalist posted:

Speaking of incomplete Image-related crossovers, the cliffhanger at the end of Alan Moore's 1963 series was hilarious, and I'm disappointed that he was never able to follow up on it after Jim Lee flaked out. It looked like Alan was seriously fixing to bite the hand feeding him.

In a lot of ways, I'm glad he never finished 1963. It's perfect as is.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So, on a whim I picked up Flashpoint, got it for free at Barnes and Noble. I seriously can't get over what DC was thinking to use this as the way to reboot everything. Earlier I had mentioned how weird it was that it rebooted the universe as it felt like having a random Flash story that was pretty short (it's a pretty thin volume) was really stupid. This was me finally sitting down to read the whole thing.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest Flash fan, I don't know much about him honestly so I can't debate on it's strengths/weaknesses as a Flash story, but as the event that changes DC and creates the New 52, it has NO impact. If you gave me this as a stand alone I'd of thought it was a middling Flash event in an Alternate Universe not the point that essentially destroys everything DC had done up to that point. Holy poo poo, as garbage as it was ZERO HOUR makes a trillion times more sense as a game changer.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 27, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It wasn't meant to be a game changer but WB gave DC an ultimatum to increase comic sales or get shut down so they pulled a number bolstering relaunch out of their asses as fast as they could, it could have ended up being any minor event comic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They should have just shut them down.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Earlier I had mentioned how weird it was that it rebooted the universe as it felt like having a random Flash story that was pretty short (it's a pretty thin volume)

There were a ton of tie-ins that you aren't seeing. It did have a big presence.
The Batman one by Brian Azzarello was really good, and Lemire's Frankenstein was a precursor to his N52 run.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirDan3k posted:

It wasn't meant to be a game changer but WB gave DC an ultimatum to increase comic sales or get shut down so they pulled a number bolstering relaunch out of their asses as fast as they could, it could have ended up being any minor event comic.

I've been hearing that going reprint-only is something that's been on the table for DC for several years now. Really the whole point of that company is just to keep copyright current at this point. At least Marvel periodically does poo poo they use for movies.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gologle posted:

I kinda liked Infinity War. The Spider-Man doppleganger stuck around for a while, if I remember right. Plus it brought most of the Infinity Watch back into the Marvel Universe. Infinity Crusade was totally pointless.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was never quite able to shake the feeling that the Infinity trilogy was a bit of a gently caress-you to Marvel and superhero comics in general. Nobody in any of them is allowed to be competent unless they're in the Infinity Watch or they're Thanos. If Earth superheroes didn't get involved at all, War in particular would be two issues long.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psychlone posted:

I kinda liked Infinity War. The Spider-Man doppleganger stuck around for a while, if I remember right. Plus it brought most of the Infinity Watch back into the Marvel Universe. Infinity Crusade was totally pointless.

Infinity War is a perfect example of how to set up a fun event and then completely blow it. "There's this evil dude, and he's sending out warped versions of heroes to try to replace them." If that had been all there was to the story... well, it still wouldn't have been good, but that was the hook that mattered and was interesting. Everyone could do their tie-in their own way and move on with things. Then they kept piling on pointless crap as things made less and less sense until finally they wrapped it up with a resolution that didn't matter.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Fuligin posted:

I think Ultimatum wins just for being both the most pointless and the most offensively awful. Loeb should have been fired out of a cannon for producing that piece of poo poo.

Someone hasn't read Onslaught Reborn. Or does that not count as an event comic?

For people who have trudged through 90s DC events more recently than I, will I regret it if I dig through my comics and re-read Final Night and Day of Judgment? I dug them in my early teens, but it's been a while.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I like both of them but I'm a Hal Jordan Mark.

You now have to read Underworld Unleashed

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bairfanx posted:

Someone hasn't read Onslaught Reborn. Or does that not count as an event comic?

Onslaught is really weird because, as I said in the comment that jumpstarted this thread, my dad for some reason LOVED the Onslaught storyline. I guess that sort of colored my opinions on it because I can understand all it's issues and the lovely aftermath, but something about Onslaught brings out the dumb 90's comic loving little kid in me.

"OH WOW, HE'S GOT ALL THE POWERS OF MAGNETO AND PROFESSOR X AND HE'S A BIG RED MONSTER ROBOT GUY AND HE'S KILLING EVERYONE AND AND" :allears:

I just read through Millemium and drat is that an 80's comic. The story is meh but the Soviet government just murdering the chosen Soviet hero randomly while smoking a cigar and grinning evilly was so absurdly out of nowhere it was kind of hilarious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Onslaught is really weird because, as I said in the comment that jumpstarted this thread, my dad for some reason LOVED the Onslaught storyline. I guess that sort of colored my opinions on it because I can understand all it's issues and the lovely aftermath,

It gave us Thunderbolt so that's a huge plus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Onslaught is really weird because, as I said in the comment that jumpstarted this thread, my dad for some reason LOVED the Onslaught storyline. I guess that sort of colored my opinions on it because I can understand all it's issues and the lovely aftermath, but something about Onslaught brings out the dumb 90's comic loving little kid in me.

The (cool? interesting? notable?) thing about Onslaught is that he, quite literally as I understand it, was introduced because Scott Lobdell thought it would be really cool if there was a bad guy who could punch Juggernaut clear across the country. That was it. He introduced the character without knowing who or what it was, because it was a cool idea.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I sort of like how Onslaught was supposed to somehow relate to Gambit and Bishop's whole future-traitor story thread but for the life of me I can't really understand how you could possibly reconcile it together.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spiderdrake posted:

I sort of like how Onslaught was supposed to somehow relate to Gambit and Bishop's whole future-traitor story thread but for the life of me I can't really understand how you could possibly reconcile it together.

I think it was some dumb 'it was ME, Cable. professor X! I was the traitor all alonggggg!' Due to the time the Prof goes psycho and mentally assaults the team before he Onslaughts out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the traitor was Professor X allllll alooooooong!! But I guess they lost that important bit of information in the future and Future Gambit never told anyone because Reasons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

The (cool? interesting? notable?) thing about Onslaught is that he, quite literally as I understand it, was introduced because Scott Lobdell thought it would be really cool if there was a bad guy who could punch Juggernaut clear across the country. That was it. He introduced the character without knowing who or what it was, because it was a cool idea.

So, basically, the same thought process that gave us Doomsday (with Superman substituted for Juggernaut)?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the traitor was Professor X allllll alooooooong!! But I guess they lost that important bit of information in the future and Future Gambit never told anyone because Reasons.

I think they established at one point that The Witness/Future Gambit's like if Dr. Manhattan was a shittier person. He's got functional omniscience and time travel and energy manipulation, and he uses it to steal Stark Industries for himself and hang out with naked ladies even though he's a gross old man. Odds are he didn't tell anyone because he thought it would be funny or something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FilthyImp posted:

'it was ME, Cable. professor X! I was the traitor all alonggggg!'

Aw, son of a bitch!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

My fav bad comic was the first comic my dad bought me. The collected "death of superman".
A giant grey hulk with wolverine claws cant stop punching people and "oh no! He punch killed superman! Who's the new superman?
Superman is. Also not terminator superman.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Junkie Disease posted:

My fav bad comic was the first comic my dad bought me. The collected "death of superman".
A giant grey hulk with wolverine claws cant stop punching people and "oh no! He punch killed superman! Who's the new superman?
Superman is. Also not terminator superman.

Shut up, Max Landis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Shut up, Max Landis.

Gonna need help on that one the guy who wrote Chronicle why?
I still stand by Doomsday and the death of superman being terrible. Dude can't be killed the same way twice. Also he cant be killed since he keeps coming back. Terrible.

• Locked thread