Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Stroth posted:

Maxing out any of protean, celerity or obfuscate will break the game over your knee. I prefer obfuscate personally, just because I find it hilarious to watch them freak out while I stealth kill everybody one by one.
Is there a City Gangrel mod? Because then you could make the most broken PC (those 3 disciplines are their in-clan ones). :getin:

e: vvv Guess I'm gonna do a third playthrough eventually after all. :unsmigghh:

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stroop There It Is posted:

Is there a City Gangrel mod? Because then you could make the most broken PC (those 3 disciplines are their in-clan ones). :getin:

It wouldn't be much of a mod based on what this thread says, just editing the clandoc000.txt file to have "Celerity" "1", "Protean" "1", "Obfuscate" "1" in the right place.
http://www.planetvampire.com/forum/index.php?topic=2784.0

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Stroop There It Is posted:

e: vvv Guess I'm gonna do a third playthrough eventually after all. :unsmigghh:

Pretty sure the Histories function also lets you play as a City Gangrel and does all the work for you. You have to use a prior version of the latest fan patch though because the spergy fucker who makes the fan patch decided to literally rip Histories out of the game files entirely so not even editing the files to turn Histories on will work, they're just gone.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure the Histories function also lets you play as a City Gangrel and does all the work for you. You have to use a prior version of the latest fan patch though because the spergy fucker who makes the fan patch decided to literally rip Histories out of the game files entirely so not even editing the files to turn Histories on will work, they're just gone.

Why? What possible reason could there be for removing them?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

But he put them back in :psyduck:

loving :wesp:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Are you sure? I just booted up my copy with the latest unofficial patch, and they're still there. Histories were removed from Basic and made Plus only, so maybe that's where you got the idea they were removed period?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

TheMcD posted:

Are you sure? I just booted up my copy with the latest unofficial patch, and they're still there. Histories were removed from Basic and made Plus only, so maybe that's where you got the idea they were removed period?

First they were removed entirely and then later he put them back in, but only for the plus patch. loving wesp.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm playing the Final Nights mod and the Baali are overpowered as poo poo. No idea if their clan bonus stacks with Saulocept yet, haven't gotten that far! For those of you who haven't played it, the Baali get an innate +1 bonus to all XP gained in quantities of 3 or more. The tradeoff is that their humanity rating caps out at 6. It doesn't sound that bad, but losing humanity is much easier to do in FN and you're pretty much boned as far as raising it back up goes if it dips under 5. Unless you feel like putting your newfound XP to a good cause :getin:

fake edit: Can we talk a little bit about the Baali? I'm interested specifically in how they play into Gehenna. The apocalypse seems like the kind of thing they'd be down with

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

fake edit: Can we talk a little bit about the Baali? I'm interested specifically in how they play into Gehenna. The apocalypse seems like the kind of thing they'd be down with

You'd think so but they're pretty much a non-factor in the book. Tons about Set though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TheMcD posted:

Yes. He excised them entirely from the Basic, is the thing. You cannot enable them, in any way shape or form, in Basic.

You can only get Histories in his patch by subjecting yourself to the nonsense in Plus, or by reverting to an older patch. Because wesp.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Solis posted:

You'd think so but they're pretty much a non-factor in the book. Tons about Set though.

...wasn't Set dead though? I specifically remember someone mentioning Set being dead and the spiritual equivalent of a dial tone when his followers tried to bring him back.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

xanthan posted:

...wasn't Set dead though? I specifically remember someone mentioning Set being dead and the spiritual equivalent of a dial tone when his followers tried to bring him back.

Only in one of the scenarios. There were 4-5 different scenarios in the book detailing different ways that Gehenna went down.

In one of the scenarios, the PCs take shelter inside of a church with a few notable vampires. Outside a red rain that's invisible to everyone except vampires is falling from a red star. Vampires caught out in the rain find that their blood slowly loses its potency and ability to fuel their disciplines until they eventually starve, wither, and die. The rain falls everywhere constantly and penetrates all structures and shelters, even reaching far underground. The only place that's safe in the whole world is the church that the PCs are hiding out in, and they have to wait it out for 40 days and 40 nights while God cleanses the world. At the end, if they're not judged unworthy by God, the PCs are stripped of their vampiric curse and turned into mortals, left to live out the rest of their lives.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

xanthan posted:

There's one possible scenario where he's dead, or at the very least sufficiently dead that no ritual can bring him back and the clan commits mass suicide, and there's another where they successfully bring him back and he repays their generosity by eating most of them on the spot.

Now that you mention it, it is strange that the Baali are not only a non-factor in the Gehenna book, but that the whole game line seems to have backed off of them after first edition/Dark Ages.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Wanderer posted:

There's one possible scenario where he's dead, or at the very least sufficiently dead that no ritual can bring him back and the clan commits mass suicide, and there's another where they successfully bring him back and he repays their generosity by eating most of them on the spot.

Now that you mention it, it is strange that the Baali are not only a non-factor in the Gehenna book, but that the whole game line seems to have backed off of them after first edition/Dark Ages.

Yeah. "Eeeeeevil demonic vampires" works well in the church-dominant dark ages, but it loses a bit of punch in the Modern Nights. They shift in Revised to everyone being a blood-stealing member of the Damned, and its how you deal with it that defines you. So the Baali fell to the wayside--its harder to do personal horror stories when you have "well, that guy just diced up a baby and followed it up by kicking a puppy--how bad could I possibly be?"

The lore reason is that the inquisition hit them hard and where they lived. Their numbers were thinned to a bare minimum, and to the extent that they exist currently they're doing their damnedest (ha!) to stay in the background and work behind the scenes. So if you wanted to run into one you could--and they'd be very, very, bad news. But for most they'll never have to worry about a run-in with the infernal.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. "Eeeeeevil demonic vampires" works well in the church-dominant dark ages, but it loses a bit of punch in the Modern Nights. They shift in Revised to everyone being a blood-stealing member of the Damned, and its how you deal with it that defines you. So the Baali fell to the wayside--its harder to do personal horror stories when you have "well, that guy just diced up a baby and followed it up by kicking a puppy--how bad could I possibly be?"

The lore reason is that the inquisition hit them hard and where they lived. Their numbers were thinned to a bare minimum, and to the extent that they exist currently they're doing their damnedest (ha!) to stay in the background and work behind the scenes. So if you wanted to run into one you could--and they'd be very, very, bad news. But for most they'll never have to worry about a run-in with the infernal.

There's a quest in FN only available to Baali PCs that involves posing as a Tremere for your own personal safety. Apparently the Tremere are less hated than the Baali, which made me giggle a bit.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Only in one of the scenarios. There were 4-5 different scenarios in the book detailing different ways that Gehenna went down.

In one of the scenarios, the PCs take shelter inside of a church with a few notable vampires. Outside a red rain that's invisible to everyone except vampires is falling from a red star. Vampires caught out in the rain find that their blood slowly loses its potency and ability to fuel their disciplines until they eventually starve, wither, and die. The rain falls everywhere constantly and penetrates all structures and shelters, even reaching far underground. The only place that's safe in the whole world is the church that the PCs are hiding out in, and they have to wait it out for 40 days and 40 nights while God cleanses the world. At the end, if they're not judged unworthy by God, the PCs are stripped of their vampiric curse and turned into mortals, left to live out the rest of their lives.
Also known as the most boring rear end scenario to end the Vampire line on.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Sounds like it's dull in terms of action (unless you have to defend the church from other half-crazed starving vampires intent on diablorizing you or something) but I kinda like the idea of PCs coming through all sorts of other campaigns, backstabbing and covering their asses and preparing to end their lives as miserable cursed monsters, only to have God/the storyteller just go "nope, go work on your tan dude!" and let them literally walk into the sunset/rise.

Assuming God doesn't just gently caress up the mortals a few days later of course :v:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I think it's a cool idea but would probably work better as a novel then a game unless all the players are incredibly good at, and derive most of their enjoyment from, roleplaying. Then you could have tensions running high as everyone is trapped inside, people being tested by god, pondering their many sins all of that. But yeah, in most instances it would just be the PCs stuck in a church bored.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 28, 2014

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I understand the dramatic and introspective values that the Church ending provides, it's just that the WoD line has been plodding along it's metastory into the Apocalypse with a capital "A" and having it all focus around a few vampires stuffed into a church always felt like the sound of a wet fart instead of the figurative crescendo that you'd expect from the end of the world and all that.

It's pretty funny to see a bunch of powergamers getting that particular ending from their storyteller though :v:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I understand the dramatic and introspective values that the Church ending provides, it's just that the WoD line has been plodding along it's metastory into the Apocalypse with a capital "A" and having it all focus around a few vampires stuffed into a church always felt like the sound of a wet fart instead of the figurative crescendo that you'd expect from the end of the world and all that.

It's pretty funny to see a bunch of powergamers getting that particular ending from their storyteller though :v:

Good point. After you've had technomages using kill-sats to nuke a super-vampire and blow up the afterlife, ending on quiet introspection is a bit too much of a tonal shift.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Powergamer would theoretically go "stake me for 40 days and nights, pull it out after", and have Yahweh/ST still ash him for not having redeemed themselves. If someone actually pulled it like that, I'd love to see their reaction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I always figured the church ending was there because it's easy to LARP. That and it's the least disruptive to the other book lines if you're going for a crossover apocalypse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I could see the church ending being strong and meaningful for the right group of players. Definitely not most groups, but for an introspective campaign closer to Planescape: Torment or Mask of the Betrayer in tone I think it could work very well to portray the apocalypse as something quiet, more a mirror for the PCs to look into as they quietly withdraw and survive rather than get caught up in the last days of their kind.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I could see the church ending being strong and meaningful for the right group of players. Definitely not most groups, but for an introspective campaign closer to Planescape: Torment or Mask of the Betrayer in tone I think it could work very well to portray the apocalypse as something quiet, more a mirror for the PCs to look into as they quietly withdraw and survive rather than get caught up in the last days of their kind.

Does the setting allow for that kind of campaign though? To my untrained eyes you need a kickass GM to keep the insanity out of the campaign story

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cythereal posted:

It's the ending for role players worth a drat, if your gaming group is formed by action junkies try any other scenario, like the rising of the Antediluvians. Or just play the Werewolf "canon" scenario :getin:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

It's the ending for role players worth a drat, if your gaming group is formed by action junkies try any other scenario, like the rising of the Antediluvians. Or just play the Werewolf "canon" scenario :getin:

What pray tell is the canon werewolf scenario?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

double nine posted:

Does the setting allow for that kind of campaign though? To my untrained eyes you need a kickass GM to keep the insanity out of the campaign story

Vampire is ostensibly exactly that kind of game, but often degenerates into splatterpunk.

xanthan posted:

What pray tell is the canon werewolf scenario?

Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. A disproportionate number of them involve the idea of the "Eye of the Wyrm" as some kind of imminent asteroid impact, but you could just as easily run with the Plains of the Apocalypse scenario: the last battle's off in the Deep Umbra somewhere, and if you're not a werewolf, all you know is that one day all the werewolves disappeared.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The first and "canon" scenario for the Apocalypse in Werewolf is called "The Last Battleground", it basically boils down to the fulfillment of the ancient prophecies of the Garou, it has several steps and it gives the GM a lot of leeway on how it goes, the death of the Last Gaian King, the hunting of the Nuwisha, the fall (or not) of the Perfect Metis, all it's ways lead to the same final place, the Last Battleground, which is an Umbral realm destined to be the place for the final battle between the Wyrm and the defenders of Gaia, mainly the Garou nation. It is just an endless plain, devoid of anything, waiting for the final days, when the endless swarms of the Wyrm will come to this place to face their ancestral enemies in a final apocalyptic battle.

Of course, the Wyrm doesn't rely only on brute strength and there's several plots the characters can unravel to alter the fate of the battle, or not, depends on the GM. I like that ending because it summarizes pretty well what it means being a Garou, a member of a dying race, of proud heritage and mighty warriors, fighting the good war against an ancient evil; Fated to fight a final battle, the Apocalypse, Ragnarok, call it whatever you wanted, but they will lose, and they know it; they will ultimately lose the battle for the fate of all creation and they still go onward, fighting and suffer horrible deaths against enemies of unspeakable horror, that is what it means to be Garou, champions of Gaia.

So, in conclusion, the default ending is a giant clobbering match against impossible odds, die hero deaths and maybe, just maybe, achieve something that lets mankind, and creation as a whole to have hope in the future. A fitting end for the setting.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Since this update is brought to you by a hangover, I thought the appropriate place to start was the red spot. There aren't any lovely Mexican restaurant chains around Hollywood to drunkenly stumble into at 3 am, so this is the closest we get.

Around the time when we first arrived in Hollywood, I mentioned that this guy could sometimes be seen perusing the isles of the red spot. We didn't encounter him before, but he sure is here now.

I'm not doing anything here other than selling some vendor trash we've picked up over the course of the game.

So to the Luckee Star it is, then. I wonder how many Hollywood hopefuls have hung their hats here.

Poor poor David Hatter doesn't know what he's stumbled into. His screenplay, as we've heard for ourselves, sounds suspiciously like Kindred society. It's best to assume that this isn't a coincidence. We to convince Hatter to give us all copies of his screenplay. If that means breaking into his apartment to get all of its copies, or destroying his digital backup, so be it. We also need to get the name and location of his Kindred source. The penalty for this type of betrayal, VV tells us, is death.

About that manuscript you were telling me about. Have an extra copy?

A good writer always does in this town. Hey - hey, you - you in the business? Man, I got tons of ideas for movies, in fact, I should give you one of my completed screenplays. This one's still... a work in progress.

I need all the copies of your vampire script.

Hey, man, there's only one copy here right now. I like to keep it pure - I don't... I don't even work on a computer, it disrupts the flow, ya know?

How fortunate a turn of events.

[Persuade] I know a few people interested in making a vampire pic.

I really can't talk about it. He likes his privacy.

[Persuade] Don't you think he wants to be famous too? I mean, who doesn't?

Julius?!

Part 5 posted:

That Julius? The stuttering, nervous, thin-blood Julius? Listening evidently comes easier to him than speech.

Back to Santa Monica it is, then. If Melissa had a heart, I'd say she left it there. We may as well bring the screenplay to VV first. She may have some advice on dealing with our loose lipped friend.

VV.

That's Miss Velour to you. :argh:

About Hatter... Here's his screenplay

Oh... I suppose I should just tear it up. But... I just - I can't. I can't rip up the product of a man's soul. Here, would you...? Tear it up for me?

Do it yourself, you pompous poseur Toreador crybaby.

Fine.

I found out the name of his source.

No, we can't even mention Julius's name to her.

You know, I really dislike Velvet Velour. Perhaps Isaac could supply us with some sort of leverage to use against her.

No, I had a question about Velvet.

Bah, Isaac is too close to Velvet to help us. Besides, I'm sure he'd much rather have us head to King's Way than give us dirt on her, even if he hated her guts.

Santa Monica here we come.

Drive. I'll tell you when the mood hits me.

We find Julius alone under the Santa Monica pier.

E did previously mention they'd be moving out soon. The life of a thin-blood is the life of a vagabond. The Kindred gypsy, never to find their own town.

You goddamn traitor!

Nuh-n- nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-no.

What were you thinking? Do you know what the consequences are?

You know what the penalty is, Julius? Do you?

I-I- I-I'm suh-suh-sorry. Puh-please! Puh-please - I'll never do it again!

Julius, the punishment for talking is... death.

Heh! Hehhhh nuh-nuh- nuh- nuh-no. Oh guh-guh-guh-oh god! :stonk:

They aren't my rules, you understand?

Puh-puh-please! F-fi-find your heart! Please f-find your h-heart!

You're making this very difficult for me, Julius. Knock it off.

I don't know, Julius. I'd piss off a lot of people. What's in it for me?

This is normally the point where I would call a vote. But I get the feeling that lowering our humanity might be... beneficial in the near future. So...

A hundred bucks?!? That's not enough! Sorry, Julius, I've got too much to lose.

Oh, oh go-go-g-g-g-g-g-god, g-g-nuh-nuh-no!

We're all just pawns in a game without rules, Julius. I'll do this quick, I promise.

So it goes.

gatz fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 8, 2014

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I would have voted to kill him anyways.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Welp. Justice is served, I guess.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Didn't know what he was/the rules, yet somehow offers a pretty good sketch of kindred life to Hatter.

Yeah, he was trying to snow you. Which is a bad idea in Santa Monica :v:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

OAquinas posted:

Didn't know what he was/the rules, yet somehow offers a pretty good sketch of kindred life to Hatter.

Yeah, he was trying to snow you. Which is a bad idea in Santa Monica :v:

I bet he was a hunter using thinbloods as camouflage. That explains why he didn't leave with the rest of the crew. Maybe his target was still in town.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kanthulhu posted:

I would have voted to kill him anyways.
Yeah, $100 is not enough to risk your own life for.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I bet he was a hunter using thinbloods as camouflage. That explains why he didn't leave with the rest of the crew. Maybe his target was still in town.
I doubt it. He's definitely a vampire.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
If he was a hunter, he would've put up a fight with his hunter abilities instead of cowering in fear.

YellerBill posted:

Welp. Justice is served, I guess.

Is justice nothing more than the rule of the strong?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

gatz posted:

If he was a hunter, he would've put up a fight with his hunter abilities instead of cowering in fear.

And also not turned to an ashy skeleton upon death.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Has there really not been a hunter that is actually a vampire in all of OWoD canon?

Also here's a silly video about vampires curteosy of tlarn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-GzMidRi-k

Edit: If anyone cares, I decided that I'm going to start using my twitter account to announce when I update this thread. If you want to know when there's a new update, but don't want to constantly keep checking the thread, skipping lore-dump after lore-dump (and how dare you), now you have a way.

gatz fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 8, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hey, Hunters and hunters are different things. The bigness of the h is silent, though.

E: Plus, I was just being silly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

gatz posted:

Is justice nothing more than the rule of the strong?

In this universe? Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I completely forgot that lowering your humanity could have positive effects. I just kept it as high as possible throughout all my playthroughs.

• Locked thread