Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Doom 2's city levels were pretty crap...
Let's just leave it at that. It's easily the weakest chapter of Doom 2.

I do like MAP14: The Inmost Dens, though. Probably because it's not even trying to be a city stage, as it's quite clearly a castle stage instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Where do the planes go? In the acid pool? :confused:

There's no planes on Phobos or whatever. It's going to be small shuttlecraft with crazy future propulsion drives.

Zaphod42 posted:

You usually don't build a whole "Hangar" for one tiny ship. That'd be a landing pad or a garage.

You sound like someone who's never owned or flown small aircraft. Quite common to have a hangar that only fits one or maybe two planes, with space around the parked plane for inspecting it and all that.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

You sound like someone who's never owned or flown small aircraft
Agreed, loving poverty goons up in here

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i have a sealed boxed copy of daikatana i bought about 15 years ago when i found it in a clearance bin

one day, it will sell for millions. one day

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Thats... magical. :allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

haveblue posted:

Infinity just went beyond what a top-down map and no HUD guidance can handle. I've played the game enough to have practically memorized it but I still can't make heads or tails of the map view.

Room-over-room is great but it has to be used in moderation.

Confound Delivery and By Committee? That's the weak poo poo you're posting? How could you post about incomprehensible room-over-room and not present the loving coup de grace of all the Marathon Trilogy, Aye Mak Sicur?

It's one of my favorite levels from any game, but holy poo poo that map view.

e: Infinity requires a much better sense of navigation in order to maneuver the maps simply because of the greater use of ROR. If you're capable of keeping all the locations in order in your head, or if you don't mind being lost, the actual craft in the levels is so far ahead of Durandal it's sick. That's not really a legitimate defense, but that's what it takes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That one isn't all that incomprehensible (a sign of how well-put-together it is), it's a pretty clear concentric ring structure. By Committee especially has two layers that don't look anything like each other so superimposing them just produces a giant pile of scribbles.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 26, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's no sense of how the rings connect to each other, though.

I think these pictures are kind of disingenuous because they show all of the polygon edges, which is not actually what the map looks like in-game.

In a way, it's a little easier to follow because the two sections are so disparate; you can kind of filter out the big boxy rooms when you're in squiggly-corridor-land.

e: It's still a fuckin' mess of a level, don't get me wrong.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mod sassinator posted:

i have a sealed boxed copy of daikatana i bought about 15 years ago when i found it in a clearance bin

one day, it will sell for millions. one day

mod sassinator slowly peels the delicate shrink-wrap away from the 8"x6"x2" box, revealing the glossy red surface and embossed black lettering. He lets out a low moan as his fingertips trace the words on the cover: "JOHN ROMERO" and "DAIKATANA". Carefully, he rolls the box over so that he might see its back. Something substantial shifts inside the box and he immediately thinks, none of the cheap "CD-in-a-paper-envelope and a postcard" nonsense--this is the real deal. Jewel cases, manuals, inserts for Gamespy and defunt TEN gaming. "Superfly Johnson!" he catches himself crying out with barely-contained joy.

He claws at the box, ripping the top apart.

A mint-condition fart escapes from the opening and smashes into his face, immediately knocking him unconscious.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I was inspired to check out the bundle thanks to this thread, and though I'm very happy with it overall as a bundle, holy poo poo on toast is Daikatana terrible.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
For everyone praising Duke 3D's "condensed realistic"-level design, I hope you have played Blood (sure you have) it really scratches the same itch, and in places it arguably does it better. The train level alone was really memorable for me, and very well done.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oenis posted:

For everyone praising Duke 3D's "condensed realistic"-level design, I hope you have played Blood (sure you have) it really scratches the same itch, and in places it arguably does it better. The train level alone was really memorable for me, and very well done.

It's a pity the source code for the loving thing still isn't released. I'd argue it's probably the best Build Engine game. I enjoyed it more than Duke3D but it's a real shame that it still has to be played through DOSBox.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The guy behind zdoom resurfaced last week and mentioned he's now "digging deep into the bowels of Blood", suggesting either some kind of reverse engineering or horrific bowel cancer.

Hopefully the former.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

The guy behind zdoom resurfaced last week and mentioned he's now "digging deep into the bowels of Blood", suggesting either some kind of reverse engineering or horrific bowel cancer.

Hopefully the former.
For reference:

randi posted:

I wouldn't go [as far as announcing a full on "ZBlood" source port] at this time, but Blood is probably the Build game most suited for support by ZDoom. If I just add moving walls/sectors and overlapping sectors, everything else could probably be approximated closely enough. And I'd say the moving sectors stuff is probably already halfway there thanks to the current state of polyobjects.

Having to use DOSBox to play it is not so great, because all the HUD stuff flickers, at least for me with the configuration from GOG.

randi posted:

I'll have to finish [the WIP scripting language] before I start anything else. I'll have to refamiliarize myself with what I was doing at the time I stopped, since I don't actually remember. :3: I know sometimes I felt like I was close to completion, and other times I felt like I had a ways to go.

It's just that, at least as far as the renderer is concerned, moving sectors feel like they should be very easy to do.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

ZBlood would be amazing.
As much as I love Blood, the mouse handling (even with bMouse) is really poor. Having Blood in the ZDoom engine would solve most of my issues with it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I never ever buy games unless they're on sale, but I'd loving pay $60 for a modern Blood port

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

How many goons can I get to play the Daikatana Multiplayer Demo with me? It's 10x more fun than the actual game. I promise.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think I found my new stress reliever:

:stare:

sunder.wad + 10x.wad + iddqd + sv_fastmonsters 1 + sv_fastweapons 2 + sv_infiniteammo 1

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

For reference:

Hahaha, that's awesome. The part about moving sectors is especially great because one of the ZDoom devs (who is an rear end in a top hat who literally is unable to comprehend that words typed on the internet can still come across as sounding arrogant) has said repeatedly that moving sectors are "out of spec" and would be too much trouble to bother implementing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You mean Graf Zahl? He can be rather blunt at times, yes.

Actually, I loved the little jab at him Kinsie hid in the randomly-chosen advertisements in Reelism.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Shadow Hog posted:

You mean Graf Zahl? He can be rather blunt at times, yes.

Actually, I loved the little jab at him Kinsie hid in the randomly-chosen advertisements in Reelism.

No, Graf's a complete dick, too, but I'm talking about Edward850. I won't say the guy doesn't know what he's doing, because he definitely does, but if you're ever in the ZDoom IRC channel at the same time as him, get ready to be treated like you're an idiot if you ask any sort of question about ZDoom. He's an arrogant rear end who is of the mindset that because he works on the code, he knows better than anybody else about every single thing Doom related, and is also one of those annoying "the one true pure and holy Doom experience" assholes. Which is really funny, considering all the added very much not-from-vanilla features that ZDoom has, a point that he's tried to skirt around in many an argument.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Your story contradicts that very thread, actually:

edward850 posted:

randi posted:

If I just add moving walls/sectors and overlapping sectors, everything else could probably be approximated closely enough. And I'd say the moving sectors stuff is probably already halfway there thanks to the current state of polyobjects.
As long as nothing reintroduces this weird issue, I'm all for this. :D
That doesn't sound like "it's out of spec, not happening" at all.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
A few more WIP screens from func_msgboard's map jam #2. Should finish up this weekend.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

How many goons can I get to play the Daikatana Multiplayer Demo with me? It's 10x more fun than the actual game. I promise.

I'd be up for it because I have played it with Purple D. Link before and it was very enjoyable.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Law posted:

A few more WIP screens from func_msgboard's map jam #2. Should finish up this weekend.

God that looks fantastic.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
This has probably been posted about before, but this tribute to 90s FPSes/novelization of a tribute to 90s FPSes is going to hit Steam pretty soon. The current graphics are really Quake-y, but they're apparently not going to last that long. Levels range from Quake 2/3/UT style sci-fi levels, to Quake 1, to Medal of Honor/COD1-3 WW2 levels.

http://www.bedlamthegame.com/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

This has probably been posted about before, but this tribute to 90s FPSes/novelization of a tribute to 90s FPSes is going to hit Steam pretty soon. The current graphics are really Quake-y, but they're apparently not going to last that long. Levels range from Quake 2/3/UT style sci-fi levels, to Quake 1, to Medal of Honor/COD1-3 WW2 levels.

This actually looks like it might be really fun, and I'm pretty stoked about it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Huh.

Interesting that Brookmyre is involved. I remember reading a book by him years ago (A Big Boy did it and Ran Away) where the hero's scheme for dealing with the climactic fight was inspired by his memories of discharging the lightning gun in the DM5 pool. And I don't mean that Brookmyre commented elsewhere about his authorial inspiration; I mean the hero, in-book, was reminiscing about DM5.

It wasn't a bad thriller.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Johnny Law posted:

Huh.

Interesting that Brookmyre is involved. I remember reading a book by him years ago (A Big Boy did it and Ran Away) where the hero's scheme for dealing with the climactic fight was inspired by his memories of discharging the lightning gun in the DM5 pool. And I don't mean that Brookmyre commented elsewhere about his authorial inspiration; I mean the hero, in-book, was reminiscing about DM5.

It wasn't a bad thriller.

Adrian Shepherd is also involved, and the setting is based on Black Mesa (it's even named Black Mesa).

Are there any .wads that take place in a city and actually LOOK like a city environment? I was pretty impressed with Sgt_Mark's city miniwad.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

Huh, sounds like an interesting concept, might be fun.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JackMackerel posted:

Are there any .wads that take place in a city and actually LOOK like a city environment? I was pretty impressed with Sgt_Mark's city miniwad.

Doom Center?

:haw:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

JackMackerel posted:

Adrian Shepherd is also involved, and the setting is based on Black Mesa (it's even named Black Mesa).

A lot of people pan it, but Hellbound's city levels (which are about the same area as Doom 2's) both look like actual city areas and I found them fun as hell to play with.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This is it. This is the zdoom experience.

(oh god please kins why does reelism have to be on zdoom)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

This is it. This is the zdoom experience.

(oh god please kins why does reelism have to be on zdoom)

It's a little hit or miss on various internet connections. That's at least not everyone's experience.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't think there exists a source port that is good at both solo and multiplayer play. I tried to play Duke 3D in coop with someone 5 feet away and it was a desynced horrible mess the entire time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rocket Pan posted:

It's a little hit or miss on various internet connections. That's at least not everyone's experience.

My experience with ZDoom multiplayer was just like in the video I posted: incredibly difficult to set up and incredibly laggy.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rocket Pan posted:

Yes, I'd imagine having the netcode dev right there playing with you/walking you through everything kind of makes things easier.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

There is a (rather large) FAQ on it, in case there is anything that can help the usual networking problems at least, such as making sure you don't use packet-server mode other an already latent connection (it just adds even more latency). See if anything (hopefully) helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Have been playing doom 2 coop lately, playing through momento mori at the moment. Any recommendations for some big outdoor maps/sets of maps? Also, any wads that add more weapons or interesting tweaks?