Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

After seeing insufferable storylines about characters publishing instant hit novels in For Better Or For Worse and Judge Parker, it's refreshing to see a comic acknowledge writing as a difficult process that involves actual editing and self-criticism.

Or even that while nobody enjoys receiving criticism, it's a vital tool to help you improve your work and yourself as an author. It is not a personal attack or an attempt by the unwashed brainless masses to destroy your beautiful art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

I don't really get it either. I mean it's pretty okay I guess, but it's honestly not all that terribly great. Same thing with Calvin and Hobbes, really. Rereading that as an adult, I'm liking it a loss less than I did when I was a kid.

I had every C&H collection as a kid and even had the final strip from my local newspaper saved somewhere in my room for years. Reading them in this thread is kind of depressing since I am missing why I liked it so much as a kid.

I guess I grew up to be a horrible individual!!!

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Peanuts has a lot of different things going on in it and not all of it is great, but it's a major achievement all the same. I couldn't care less about Snoopy WWI strips, or a lot of camp strips, etc. But gimme a despondent Charlie Brown alone in a darkened room and that's gold.

I like Cul de Sac more than Calvin & Hobbes. Not sure if it's better but I like it more.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

So glad I only have a few coworkers that prefer communication over Skype and can telecommute. The best antisocial job.

On the Fastrack

Facebook has diluted the meaning of friend to nothingness, and also includes mortal enemies.

Safe Havens

To recap, Dave, the 14-year-old-looking 27-year-old is trying out for Team USA in Las Vegas for the upcoming Olympics. I guess he's hasn't crashed and burned horribly yet.

Slylock Fox

The little ones grow up into criminals so fast :sniff:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

The little ones grow up into criminals so fast :sniff:

Show me a kid who's never burned his rear end off on a metal slide on a hot day, and I'll show you a kid who's never truly lived.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
edit: good grief rats AUGH etc.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 28, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
Haha, Robbie thinks Spider-Man is trying to stop this crime out of a sense of civic duty. Actually it's to make sure that someon eelse doesn't get the credit!

Julet Esqu posted:

Prince Valiant
You can't shoot an arrow with a rope tied to it into a cliff and climb up it like that. It would never hold your weight. :colbert:

Wanamingo posted:

I don't really get it either. I mean it's pretty okay I guess, but it's honestly not all that terribly great. Same thing with Calvin and Hobbes, really. Rereading that as an adult, I'm liking it a lot less than I did when I was a kid.
I've always heard how great Calvin and Hobbes is, but never read it until this thread, and it really doesn't live up to the hype. Cul de Sac is way better, and I even prefer Cow & Boy and Heart of the City. Maybe it was really good for its time, but doesn't hold up now?

Though I also never cared for Peanuts, and I did read some of that when I was young. I do like some of the early strips now (particularly the very first one) but I just don't see how it stayed so popular for so long.

Funky Winkerbean

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

OK, that second one has got to be my favourite Inspector Danger solution ever. :haw:

Mandrake the Magician (1942-03-29, 1942-04-05 and 1942-04-12)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Haha. Inspector Danger just keeps getting better. I smoke, but I'm properly housebroken. Regardless of weather I take my flaming plant matter outside. This also applies to cars, and in public spaces I try to find a secluded spot. Guess I should just turn myself in before I commit murder.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Haha. Inspector Danger just keeps getting better. I smoke, but I'm properly housebroken. Regardless of weather I take my flaming plant matter outside. This also applies to cars, and in public spaces I try to find a secluded spot. Guess I should just turn myself in before I commit murder.

I'm gonna give it to Inspector Danger here, the husband is shown smoking inside after the murder when his wife isn't around, so why then would he stand outside the day before?

Tiggum posted:

Mandrake the Magician (1942-03-29, 1942-04-05 and 1942-04-12)

Did anyone expect any other ending for this?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Madam Psychic was right! This is so embarrassing! Also a person is dead.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes both still seem good to me even in the retrospectives on here. Peanuts has that slightly harmless feeling in it with the occasional bite that really makes it work, as if someone took the best parts of Ziggy and made a whole series out of them. And I'll always love C&H, even if I don't idolize it as highly as I see a lot of people do with it. The one that's kinda suffered in reading on here is Bloom County. I loved that strip as a kid partly because I didn't really get over half the jokes and so just laughed at it thinking it was much more wacky than it actually was. Now I read it and feel like I'm looking at some college strip that nonstop whines about the culture wars and throws in pop culture refs just for the sake of itself. It still has some charm, but it's definitely one of those things where ignorance really is bliss.

I definitely wouldn't say Cul-de-Sac is better than C&H, though, that really puzzles me. I like Cul-de-Sac quite a bit, but not to the point where I think it's better. Honestly, I probably wouldn't say any strip is best ever unless I guiltily said Fox Trot.

Anyway, Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

Yeah, you should probably blow off the rest of this week's arc, it's really going to suck.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Madam Psychic was right! This is so embarrassing! Also a person is dead.

But mostly embarrassing.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Tiggum posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Colorist mistake? I'm not sure there's a good reason why Les would be confidently strutting around a movie studio lot with a bare chest. Unless this is a new direction for Funky, which I can get behind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Helicity posted:

Colorist mistake? I'm not sure there's a good reason why Les would be confidently strutting around a movie studio lot with a bare chest. Unless this is a new direction for Funky, which I can get behind.
Wandering around a movie studio bare-chested because Les lost his shirt failing to save an orphan from a fire that he knew would happen because his dead wife told him? That would fit. But confidently strutting? Not a chance in hell.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

He could still prefer the face-to-face dating scene. These aren't mutually exclusive.

I hate this comic so much.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Helicity posted:

It's an edit. Can't say I really get it, but it's an edit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

It's an edit. Can't say I really get it, but it's an edit.
Due to the original colouring, that's what I saw when I first looked at it. That's the whole reason.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Helicity posted:

Never trust a tiggum post.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World seems to be back on track, if not rather uneventful, as we start this week.

I think these are about to get linked.

Non Sequitur

What?

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

Kliban

What?

9 Chickweed Lane 7/28/2003

:words: But, hey, where's this North Africa thing coming from? Didn't Brooke put her in Europe during the "I hosed an Austrian to save the world" flashback? If I recall correctly, North Africa wasn't even mentioned once.

Zits

Man, corn on the cob sounds really good right now. At 7:52am. :v:

Kevin & Kell

What? I mean, seriously, :wtf: Wendell was never like that as I recall.

I love how Nemi is just totally oblivious to Cyan's reaction. And, "cellars"? Huh. That's a new one.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac I feel like we've seen this one before, but dang if it still isn't great.

The Creeps SCHEDULE CHANGE :supaburn:

Poptropicahoooot

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ZeeToo posted:

Okay I'll bite: what's the actual text?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 9, 1927)

Peanuts (July 31, 1967)

Funky WinkerWHOBEATMETOohnevermind

Les's middle age drift hanging over his belt only on the right side is absolutely horrifying. Well, anyway...

For those of you who were enjoying gag-a-day Popeye, I am so, so sorry...

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 15-16, 1925)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears is still :smith:

The Dinette Set is still tacky.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I love how Nemi is just totally oblivious to Cyan's reaction. And, "cellars"? Huh. That's a new one.

It's a British English thing. What's universal is matching salt & pepper shakers with no clear indicators worked into their design. :argh:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps SCHEDULE CHANGE :supaburn:

:negative:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Breetai posted:

Okay I'll bite: what's the actual text?

Probably something about plastic flowers? If the flowers had been real, they would've been wilted after a couple of hours. I don't know, it's hard putting yourself in the mind of a total idiot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger is an impostor, and has been for the past 99 strips.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Inspector Danger is an impostor, and has been for the past 99 strips.

Back when the Man with the 99 Faces impersonated Inspector Danger's doctor and tried to poison him, he succeeded. In order to further his nefarious plans, he's been posing as the inspector all this time. Since he's not actually any good at sleuthing, he just accuses people and his assistant believes these accusations based on the strength of Inspector Danger's reputation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

As far as I'm concerned, political music anthems will never surpass "Jesse".

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Oh, Brother

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I know Four Eyes isn't popular around here, but look at that quahog.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Look, owlet moths!
- Funnily named creatures...
- :barf:

The owlet moth is yökkönen in Finnish, from the word that means night. The -kkönen part is a kind of a diminutive, so I guess you could call them nighties or something. :v:

It's also a slang word for a little puke. As for why, it's probably because it's sort of onomatopoeic.

Fok_It

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lemme guess re. Inspector Danger - the flowers are actually plastic.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Calaveron posted:

Probably something about plastic flowers? If the flowers had been real, they would've been wilted after a couple of hours. I don't know, it's hard putting yourself in the mind of a total idiot.

They were tulips. Couldn't you tell they were tulips? They're definitely tulips. Clear as day.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't see what Snausages® Dog Snacks are going to prove. Even wild animals know that with so many flavours and shapes, Snausages® Dog Snacks make every day a party!

Ballard Street

Sitting alone on the couch in a dark room, unenthusiastically pawing at his crotch. I wonder what Steve's SA username is.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

and a special Penny Arcade that I'm only including because it was drawn by Bill Amend, of Foxtrot fame.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Manuel Calavera posted:

and a special Penny Arcade that I'm only including because it was drawn by Bill Amend, of Foxtrot fame.

"Hey Dad, what are "dickwolves"?"

• Locked thread