Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Powershift posted:

2015 Ford F-150 4x2 SuperCrew 3.5L V-6: 4475 pounds
2014 Ford F-150 4x2 SuperCrew 3.7L V-6: 5128 pounds
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2wd 4.3L V-6: 4942 pounds
2014 Ram 1500 ST 4x2 Crew Cab 3.6L V-6: 4924 pounds
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x2 with 4.0L V-6 (6.5-ft bed)* : 5010 pounds
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x2 with 4.6L V-8 (5.5-ft bed)*: 5335 pounds1. 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo: 4510 pounds
2014 Audi A8 L TDI AWD: 4529 pounds
2015 Hyundai Genesis V-8: 4588 pounds (the Genesis V-6 AWD is only 2 pounds lighter than the 2015 F-150 SuperCrew at 4473 pounds)
2015 Kia K900 V-8: 4624 pounds
2014 Tesla Model S P85+: 4633 pounds
2014 Maserati Ghibli AWD: 4648 pounds
2014 Mercedes-Benz S550: 4786 pounds
2014 Rolls-Royce Wraith: 5328 pounds
2014 Rolls-Royce Ghost: 5500 pounds
2014 Bentley Flying Spur W-12, AWD: 5644 pounds

:stare:

A crew cab v6 f-150 weighs the same as v6 korean sedan.
edit: the hellcat challenger is around 4450 lbs.

Is that the new all-aluminum F150? I think it's great, even though one of my favorite radio hosts can be a bit :tinfoil: about the safety of aluminum bodied cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah.

Then again, who gives a poo poo about safety when we could see a $25,000 factory pickup that can hit 60mph in 5 seconds flat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Is that the new all-aluminum F150? I think it's great, even though one of my favorite radio hosts can be a bit :tinfoil: about the safety of aluminum bodied cars.

I still think the biggest concern is going to be repairing them. Yeah, the ones getting used for legit work requiring a truck aren't going to care, but those people are in the minority any more. Those parking lot dings are going to add up.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

It's possibly also a net road safety improvement, even if less safe for the truck drivers themselves.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fknlo posted:

I still think the biggest concern is going to be repairing them. Yeah, the ones getting used for legit work requiring a truck aren't going to care, but those people are in the minority any more. Those parking lot dings are going to add up.

I think this has been talked about before; the weight savings of aluminum ought to let them make the panels thicker to be more resistant to parking lot dings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Who cares about dings when you don't have a rusty blob of a frame after ten years in the salt belt?

Then again, galvanic corrosion is gonna suck after some Carstar tard uses a mild steel washer during your fender replacement...

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Is it possible aluminum could go industry wide? No rust ever again would be sick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

Is it possible aluminum could go industry wide? No rust ever again would be sick.

That's certainly the direction it's headed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Alu "rusts" as well. Not in the way steel or iron does, but it's not impervious to it.

quote:

There is a common misconception among that aluminum’s corrosion resistance is similar to that of stainless steel. This is incorrect. In locations that are exposed to chlorides (coastal or deicing salt), the corrosion rate of aluminum is typically 10 to 100 times that of stainless steel. The white to grayish white color of aluminum corrosion product may not bring attention to the problem (as the rusting red of steel does), until permanent aesthetic or structural damage has been done. This lack of knowledge makes aluminum a common replacement for stainless steel when construction costs must be reduced.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
check out mid 2000's Ford Explorer hoods and decklids

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah the deicing fluid they use here in the Seattle area is bad for aluminum.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

YF19pilot posted:

In most crash types involving a body on frame truck it's the frame that carries most of the hit and the frame of the new F-150 is still steel. In addition, an aluminum body can be (And I hope/assume has been) made more than sturdy enough to protect occupants in a rollover. Beyond the fact that it's completely technically feasible to make a super-safe aluminum vehicle these trucks still have to pass the same safety tests that every other truck does, worrying about the safety of "aluminum" is loving stupid and those concerns can be dismissed out of hand. If the new F-150 isn't the safest truck on the road it's because Ford hosed up, not because ~~*aluminum*~~

sudo rm -rf posted:

Yes, right about the time everything is full electric or hybrid. Aluminum and composites are the future but it's a ways off yet for mainstream vehicles, though I personally believe that the best-selling truck/vehicle in North America being built with an all-aluminum body will help expedite the process of getting supply chains, tooling technology and recycling capacity up to the point that aluminum becomes a feasible alternative to steel in mainstream applications.

fknlo posted:

Most body panels aren't repaired anymore, they get replaced for anything beyond a tiny dent. For paint scratches the process shouldn't be substantially different and in fact won't be necessary at all for anything but cosmetic reasons due to the manner in which aluminum oxidizes. In addition, and it's been mentioned, with the significantly decreased mass of aluminum the manufacturer can and hopefully has created thicker than normal body panels which will actually be more dent-resistant.

My only concern regarding the aluminum F-150 as a potential buyer would be galvanic corrosion, either due to a fuckup by Ford engineers or by a repair shop down the road.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There are plenty of pictures of newer Mustangs with quite corroded hoods, but you'd hope Ford will have it figured out before putting it on their most popular vehicle.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Audi posted the S3 on their website. I'm looking to lease something fun so hopefully I'll be able to find one on a lot in a couple of months without a huge markup.

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-s3-sedan

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Amazingly, the S3 is only $44k in canada. That's $7200 less than the 335i, and $5800 less than the CLA 45 AMG. Even $995 less than the STI sport-tech package.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Well to be honest the STI is more attractive price wise and probably reliability wise as well, but the interior of the A3 and S3 just look so great. I'm guessing that price gap is pretty rare?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My only concern with the aluminum F-150: can you buy it without paint or with just a clearcoat? because that would be awesome

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Amazingly, the S3 is only $44k in canada. That's $7200 less than the 335i, and $5800 less than the CLA 45 AMG. Even $995 less than the STI sport-tech package.

Eh, the M235 is 45k and has more power and is RWD and doesn't look like a 10 year old Jetta. I understand it has 2 doors, one assumes they'll come out with a 4 door eventually.

Let me surf over to the MB site to see about the

:frogout:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 27, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well the back seats are practically useless for a normal size human being so why not?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

I was telling someone the other day that I thought Ford was going to struggle to make the next Falcon look good next to the sparkly VF commodore but I think they managed it. Still, looks like generic Falcon around the middle though.

Going to be powered by either a turbo'd four or turbo'd inline six or a supercharged 5.0 V8.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/298629/2014-ford-falcon-xr8-xr6-revealed-sedan-and-ute-on-sale-come-fourth-quarter/

No atmo six? Interesting. It's the last model of Falcon, which is sad to see

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tobu posted:

I was telling someone the other day that I thought Ford was going to struggle to make the next Falcon look good next to the sparkly VF commodore but I think they managed it. Still, looks like generic Falcon around the middle though.

Going to be powered by either a turbo'd four or turbo'd inline six or a supercharged 5.0 V8.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/298629/2014-ford-falcon-xr8-xr6-revealed-sedan-and-ute-on-sale-come-fourth-quarter/

If this hood design is over a SC 5L V8 then I think it looks fantastic, but that hood design over a turbo 4 cylinder is stupid. I know thats a pedantic complaint but the lines of the hood seem like they're trying to tell the story of having to be raised up in the center to clear something and the story is fiction if it's not a big block. This is coming from someone with a 2L turbo H4.

e: what am I saying, we all know when you lift that hood it'll just be a flat piece of black plastic with grey accents no matter which motor is in there.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

VelociBacon posted:

If this hood design is over a SC 5L V8 then I think it looks fantastic, but that hood design over a turbo 4 cylinder is stupid. I know thats a pedantic complaint but the lines of the hood seem like they're trying to tell the story of having to be raised up in the center to clear something and the story is fiction if it's not a big block. This is coming from someone with a 2L turbo H4.

e: what am I saying, we all know when you lift that hood it'll just be a flat piece of black plastic with grey accents no matter which motor is in there.

Looks like that one is specific to the XR8 - the XR6 has a more reasonable looking hood

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Glad to see the new Honda/Acura NSX is keeping up with Lamborghini.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 27, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Wheeee posted:

In most crash types involving a body on frame truck it's the frame that carries most of the hit and the frame of the new F-150 is still steel. In addition, an aluminum body can be (And I hope/assume has been) made more than sturdy enough to protect occupants in a rollover. Beyond the fact that it's completely technically feasible to make a super-safe aluminum vehicle these trucks still have to pass the same safety tests that every other truck does, worrying about the safety of "aluminum" is loving stupid and those concerns can be dismissed out of hand. If the new F-150 isn't the safest truck on the road it's because Ford hosed up, not because ~~*aluminum*~~

Trust me, I think it's funny more than anything else. I know about aluminum and its strengths, just pointing out the sort of nonsense that is out there. And as an engineer myself I know that you would design to the materials you're using.

Besides, if one really needed proof that aluminum can be safe and strong, those armored cars (well, trucks) that are used by Loomis, Brinks, etc, are actually aluminum bodied.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Most body panels aren't repaired anymore, they get replaced for anything beyond a tiny dent. For paint scratches the process shouldn't be substantially different and in fact won't be necessary at all for anything but cosmetic reasons due to the manner in which aluminum oxidizes. In addition, and it's been mentioned, with the significantly decreased mass of aluminum the manufacturer can and hopefully has created thicker than normal body panels which will actually be more dent-resistant.

Not really, no. The break even on repair vs replacement is usually several hours of repair. Unless its something highly exotic like CF, repair is the first option.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You think they will make a sport version of the f150 with the v8, short bed, single cab, quicker steering ratio, and sporty lower trim? Be kinda cool to have sport trucks back again in the smaller size but a tuned v8 doing sub 5 0-60 would be hot too. Still miss the s10 and colorado zq8 packages, shame they never got the 5.3L option in a single cab.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There is the Tremor, but it only has the ecoboost V6 and I don't think the steering is any quicker. I bet the aluminum version will be awesome though.

e: Guess not. http://www.autonews.com/article/20140114/OEM04/140119780/ford-to-drop-f-150-tremor-from-truck-lineup :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

You think they will make a sport version of the f150 with the v8, short bed, single cab, quicker steering ratio, and sporty lower trim? Be kinda cool to have sport trucks back again in the smaller size but a tuned v8 doing sub 5 0-60 would be hot too. Still miss the s10 and colorado zq8 packages, shame they never got the 5.3L option in a single cab.

If they do another tremor, sub 5 second 0-60 is entirely possible. As it is, it might be possible with the base model v8 which looks like it will have roughly the same power and weight as a challenger r/t.

exhaust, intercooler and 93 octane tune on the 3.5 gets you to 350whp from a stock 280.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I dunno if it was mentioned before, but Alfa have made the much cleaner-looking headlights from the Spider an option on the 4C, fixing pretty much the only thing wrong with it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

I dunno if it was mentioned before, but Alfa have made the much cleaner-looking headlights from the Spider an option on the 4C, fixing pretty much the only thing wrong with it.

Oh god I see that lotus flower thing.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Polaris announced their new trike, the Slingshot this week. Kind of a cross between a T-Rex and a KTM X-Bow. It's using a 2.4l Ecotec engine. Basically the drivetrain out of a Solstice/Sky.

Putting down around 175hp to the single rear wheel through a carbon fiber reinforced drive belt.

I was under a pretty strict NDA until now. I got to drive one of these about 6 months ago on a local track and had a blast in it. It's an open cockpit and will be considered a motorcycle in most places. The marketing research firm required us to wear helmets but in Texas we don't have a helmet law and that'd be unnecessary. The little windshield is optional but if I were buying, it'd be a must-have. I got to drive one with and one without the windshield and it makes a big difference in the buffeting. I suppose if you have to wear a helmet then it'd be unneeded. It's very spartan inside the base model. Seat, steering wheel and controls, gear stick, TC disable button and that's about it. It does have traction control that can be fully disabled should you desire.

List price on the base model is just $19,999. They'd said they were shooting for sub-$20K on the base model, and sub $25K on the upgraded one, and they made good on that. I really need to get a bigger garage. Oh, and more money for toys. I'll need that too.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Who cares about dings when you do have a rusty blob of a frame after ten years in the salt belt?

Aha, I see you've played Landy-Rovery before!

(The ability of British manufacturers to hide rust-prone steel structural components behind/under rust-free fibreglass or aluminium panelwork is the bane of "well it looked good in the pictures" ebay purchases)

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 28, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Kill-9 posted:

Polaris announced their new trike, the Slingshot this week. Kind of a cross between a T-Rex and a KTM X-Bow. It's using a 2.4l Ecotec engine. Basically the drivetrain out of a Solstice/Sky.

Putting down around 175hp to the single rear wheel through a carbon fiber reinforced drive belt.

I was under a pretty strict NDA until now. I got to drive one of these about 6 months ago on a local track and had a blast in it. It's an open cockpit and will be considered a motorcycle in most places. The marketing research firm required us to wear helmets but in Texas we don't have a helmet law and that'd be unnecessary. The little windshield is optional but if I were buying, it'd be a must-have. I got to drive one with and one without the windshield and it makes a big difference in the buffeting. I suppose if you have to wear a helmet then it'd be unneeded. It's very spartan inside the base model. Seat, steering wheel and controls, gear stick, TC disable button and that's about it. It does have traction control that can be fully disabled should you desire.

List price on the base model is just $19,999. They'd said they were shooting for sub-$20K on the base model, and sub $25K on the upgraded one, and they made good on that. I really need to get a bigger garage. Oh, and more money for toys. I'll need that too.

How much is a cheap ariel atom? This seems very cool but 20k is kinda expensive to me.

EDIT: drat atoms start at like 50k.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

How much is a cheap ariel atom? This seems very cool but 20k is kinda expensive to me.

EDIT: drat atoms start at like 50k.

And the T-Rex is around, I believe, $50K and the X-Bow is $90K. I think Polaris came in way below their competitors with a pretty decent product.

Now is there room in that market? I dunno. It's not a daily driver, that's for sure. No A/C or heating(other than the seats maybe?). No roof either. Time will tell.

I liked it well enough but also know that it'd suck to drive for a few months of the year in most places of the country(be it too hot or too cold) other than the coastal areas of SoCal.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Infotainment Center Kit - Display, Radio, Speakers, Back-up Camera

Oh good, a backup camera, no bumping into telephone poles with the back of your head!

Not that I'm blaming them or anything since obviously drivetrain development is serious business, but I sure could think of any number of better drivetrains than a 2.4l Chevy engine with a transmission from a Hummer. That thing with an RX8 rotary would be interesting.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That slingshot is loving perfect, and I'm buying one for sure. It will suck something fierce in the summer months (I live in Palm Springs), but who gives a poo poo?

I've been looking to buy a cheap and fun bullshit car for a while now. Something completely impractical and stupid that I can take out to get away from the kids. This is absolutely perfect.

I guess this means I need to get a motorcycle license...

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 28, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh good, a backup camera, no bumping into telephone poles with the back of your head!

Not that I'm blaming them or anything since obviously drivetrain development is serious business, but I sure could think of any number of better drivetrains than a 2.4l Chevy engine with a transmission from a Hummer. That thing with an RX8 rotary would be interesting.

On the other hand, commonly available well tested parts are always a plus in something like this. I'm sure someone will drop in a turbo liter bike engine or something of equivalent crazy.

Given how expensive other similar products actually are, I think its pretty neat.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

When not wearing a helmet the camera was totally unneeded. If you're wearing a helmet it'd be a godsend.

eyebeem posted:

That slingshot is loving perfect, and I'm buying one for sure. It will suck something fierce in the summer months (I live in Palm Springs), but who gives a poo poo?

I've been looking to buy a cheap and fun bullshit car for a while now. Something completely impractical and stupid that I can take out to get away from the kids. This is absolutely perfect.

I guess this means I need to get a motorcycle license...

Do it. If I didn't already have too many cars I'd be thinking about it. While my wife is a car person I don't know if she'd appreciate me having yet another 'weekend car'.

In places where you do need a bike license you can take the test with the trike. Simple.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Kill-9 posted:

Since you apparently know a lot about these/are on the inside, can you give a reason why someone would get one of these instead of an actual motorcycle? If you just want a go fast track toy, there are several bikes making a lot more power than that thing (like 200 HP+: BMW S1000RR, Ninja ZX14) and weighing much less (~500 lbs or less wet weight), and are at least $5k cheaper. Since this thing is classed as a motorcycle, you'd need an endorsement and helmet to drive it, so you're basically paying more money for something that's slower and still has the same legal training/safety gear requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HotCanadianChick posted:

Since you apparently know a lot about these/are on the inside, can you give a reason why someone would get one of these instead of an actual motorcycle? If you just want a go fast track toy, there are several bikes making a lot more power than that thing (like 200 HP+: BMW S1000RR, Ninja ZX14) and weighing much less (~500 lbs or less wet weight), and are at least $5k cheaper. Since this thing is classed as a motorcycle, you'd need an endorsement and helmet to drive it, so you're basically paying more money for something that's slower and still has the same legal training/safety gear requirements.

I think it's targeting a different market (with some overlap) and is classified as a motorcycle because of how stupid our regulations are (and to avoid having to include airbags, crash testing, etc).

This is nothing like a motorcycle, and won't be cross shopped with them.