Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

preview and quick look (spacebar on the file in finder) can also open office files if you just want to view them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mercurius posted:

preview and quick look (spacebar on the file in finder) can also open office files if you just want to view them

quicklook has problems with formatting most times. its really only good for a quick look

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

same bullshit probably goes for itunes on windows

itunes was like that but then they made it so you never need to connect your phone to a computer again so they mostly just ignore it

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Rosie Project: A Novel, by Graeme Simsion. Melinda picked up this novel earlier this year, and she loved it so much that she kept stopping to read passages to me. I started it myself at 11 p.m. one Saturday and stayed up with it until 3 the next morning. Anyone who occasionally gets overly logical will identify with the hero, a genetics professor with Asperger’s Syndrome who goes looking for a wife. (Melinda thought I would appreciate the parts where he’s a little too obsessed with optimizing his schedule. She was right.) It’s a funny and profound book about being comfortable with who you are and what you’re good at. I’m sending copies to several friends and hope to re-read it later this year. It is one of the most enjoyable novels I’ve read in a long time.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

venture beat says the xbox only sold as much as the wii u up until may, has barely been manufacturing new xboxes, has only 1% of the PC/tablet market and nadella may want to sell the brand.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/27/should-microsoft-sell-off-the-xbox-brand/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

he p. much signaled that it wasn't "core" in his letter and that probly means they'll sell it off eventually

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PleasureKevin posted:

venture beat says the xbox only sold as much as the wii u up until may, has barely been manufacturing new xboxes, has only 1% of the PC/tablet market and nadella may want to sell the brand.

Xbox One has still not sold as much as the Wii U.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

What a mis-informed article. Xbox Ones will sell a lot more once Halo The Masterchief Collection & Halo 5 release in November and 2015 respectively.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

hobbesmaster posted:

What a mis-informed article. Xbox Ones will sell a lot more once Halo The Masterchief Collection & Halo 5 release in November and 2015 respectively.

that dude is really trying hard

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

he p. much signaled that it wasn't "core" in his letter and that probly means they'll sell it off eventually

i disagree. he defended it in his letter. i think there was even a hint it would go mobile (and/or just really poor writing). he spent a whole paragraph saying solid stuff about it, which was particularly lucid in the context of that letter.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
to be fair to nutella, its earnings season, which means the business press is full of how ceos are all fuckups who are blowing investors money on science projects and all they should do is stop innovating and milk the cash cow

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I also want to share some additional thoughts on Xbox and its importance to Microsoft. As a large company, I think it's critical to define the core, but it's important to make smart choices on other businesses in which we can have fundamental impact and success. The single biggest digital life category, measured in both time and money spent, in a mobile-first world is gaming. We are fortunate to have Xbox in our family to go after this opportunity with unique and bold innovation. Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox. Xbox is one of the most-revered consumer brands, with a growing online community and service, and a raving fan base. We also benefit from many technologies flowing from our gaming efforts into our productivity efforts – core graphics and NUI in Windows, speech recognition in Skype, camera technology in Kinect for Windows, Azure cloud enhancements for GPU simulation and many more. Bottom line, we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft.

the fact that he separates it from the rest of the core businesses tells me that if things go south in xbox or doesn't make enough money, they'll get rid of it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

can we get the yospos consensus about whether this is racist thx

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

the fact that he separates it from the rest of the core businesses tells me that if things go south in xbox or doesn't make enough money, they'll get rid of it

and yet they haven't

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

it's italian and everyone loves to put it in their mouth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah it's racist

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea but now its satya running the place. they also have an activist investor on the board and the old ballmer stuff isnt gonna fly anymore

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

then why is he defending xbox? yeah, he separates it from the core business, "but it's important to make smart choices on other businesses in which we can have fundamental impact and success" and tried to connect the businesses saying "we also benefit from many technologies flowing from our gaming efforts into our productivity efforts".

this is a clear answer to everyone calling for them to axe xbox, and the answer is no.

but he never says Xbox One, and he mentions "mobile". the next paragraph also starts with "While today many people define mobile by devices, Microsoft defines it by experiences." so maybe they are planning to put the Xbox APU in a surface or stream Xbox One games to windows phone, but that's inferring way too much.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when did z0r go Mac I'm sure he used to be pc choice matters

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the whole letter is full of bullshit but thats how these things are written and thats why that defense just highlights some positive aspects of xbox. if they aren't ready to make a decision on whether to axe it or not then he obviously has to be positive about it. they just launched xbox one so they probly wanna see how things shake out before they make a decision. but reading that part makes it clear that xbox isn't on the same footing as the rest of the stuff he talked about before that

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol at anyone trying to derive meaning from satya's worthless open letter

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xbox, winpho, and surface: the way forward

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

theadder posted:

no more racist than lizardlips & sillyballs imo

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

but he never says Xbox One, and he mentions "mobile". the next paragraph also starts with "While today many people define mobile by devices, Microsoft defines it by experiences." so maybe they are planning to put the Xbox APU in a surface or stream Xbox One games to windows phone, but that's inferring way too much.

maybe ms will try to make the phone gaming experience not complete and utter garbage, wait 15 minutes for a new turd from the rear end or pay $1 for 5 turds now, poo poo

they've got official controller apis that most games (or devs at least) actually support so maybe the could try to crack the utterly terrible smartphone/handheld console convertible

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope elop writes another burning platform memo. It would be too precious.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

man they are still trying to sell windows phones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pjD4qpIpg

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

siri: "everyone knows you're made of plastic."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

ehhh, anything is possible, i guess, but the Master Chief Collection marketing so far seems entirely focused on people who've played the first four games before (or at least most of them), and they almost certainly still have a 360 and can play all four games right now; they get better graphics and the ability to revisit halo 2's multiplayer, but i don't think that's worth $460 to most people

halo 5 could be successful but is the xbox one going to survive that long? sooner or later, one of the big publishers is going to decide it's not worth the effort and then it's completely hosed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"let's repackage the same old game, tweak the graphics slightly, add a map pack and release it"

neat how you can say that and still not be sure whether you're talking about halo 5 or master chief collection yet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I concur with this analysis. there is no racial component to Nutella, it is simply making fun of the guy's name.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it sounds to me like nadella is going to let xbone play out in the market because they basically already spent most of the money developing it. however, unless it miraculously becomes a great success don't expect to see any more money being thrown at Xbox R&D. also elop is being set up as the fall guy to take the blame when it is declared a failure.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

also elop is being set up as the fall guy to take the blame when it is declared a failure.

'how to make 7 figures failing every step of the way, by qirex.txt'

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah it's racist

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Berkshire Hunts posted:

nope, sry.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

I concur with this analysis. there is no racial component to Nutella, it is simply making fun of the guy's name.

yeah, no.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

I'm going to map this out

- Exec is lured into said position with huge signing bonus. Bonus Count: 1
- Executive's bonus criteria are to ship an iPad competitor and "build" tablet business
- Exec spends hundreds of millions doing just that with full knowledge that it's not competitive but he's meeting his written goals
- The first year passes before the product is out or has pricing or final details, exec gets giant bonus for doing a good job even if that's not true because board is full of people who don't know poo poo. Bonus Count: 2
- Tablet ships right before exec gets next bonus, probably for hitting arbitrary quarterly deadline. Do you really think it wouldn't be better for them to have waited 2 months for Flash and 4G to work? There's only one reason to release it now and that's so it can be "Q1". Bonus Count: 3
- Thing craters in the market but blame is placed on Apple, exec vows that follow-up version will be the best thing ever
- Follow-up version takes longer than expected to deliver, annual bonus for working hard in challenging conditions. Bonus Count: 4
- Follow-up ships suspiciously close to the end of a financial quarter. Bonus Count: 5
- Follow-up craters in market, board decides it's time for said executive to send more time with the family. Massive severance package ensues. Bonus Count: 6

So that's how you can make 8 figures in 3 years while failing every step of the way.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

your vote has been added to our database. thank you for participating in this survey.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nah, elop was rewarded for his Trojan horse services inside Nokia as part of the purchase agreement. but now his patron, Ballmer, is gone and nobody else wants him there. he was given a leadership position as part of the Nokia deal, so they can't just fire him outright, so instead they're setting him up for failure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

nah, elop was rewarded for his Trojan horse services inside Nokia as part of the purchase agreement. but now his patron, Ballmer, is gone and nobody else wants him there. he was given a leadership position as part of the Nokia deal, so they can't just fire him outright, so instead they're setting him up for failure.
maybe he will get the jobs treatment - when they wanted stebe out of apple in the 1980s they created a special group (called something like the "advanced technology group"), said it would be developing futuristic way-out not-even-on-the-roadmap technologies, put jobs in charge of it, transferred all his flunkies and cronies to it, and put them in a separate office building a mile from apple campus (where they could "work without distraction"). stebe took the hint.

every time i read an official announcement about executives being moved around i look for the phrase "newly created" because 9 times out of 10 it is someone being sent to siberia never to return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

being exiled to do some weird skunkworks poo poo because they're too chickenshit to actually fire you doesn't sounds like a horrible fate to be honest

• Locked thread