Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have a question. As impressive and creative this comic has and continues to be, do you think it's possible for a character BETTER than Mr. Starchman to be introduced in the future or have we peaked in awesome characters already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Well, we're running out of new characters here as the story really gets under way, but Agent Day hasn't made an appearance yet...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have a question. As impressive and creative this comic has and continues to be, do you think it's possible for a character BETTER than Mr. Starchman to be introduced in the future or have we peaked in awesome characters already?

I think everyone acknowledges that every character introduced post Starchman is simply running for 2nd place.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

I think everyone acknowledges that every character introduced post Starchman is simply running for 2nd place.

Do you get a star for second place...?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Update!

boss leader noticed you

Something tells me her shocked expression at the end isn't from Max's sassy response. Is it something going wrong in the dream, or is she seeing something happening in the real world?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Dolash posted:

Something tells me her shocked expression at the end isn't from Max's sassy response. Is it something going wrong in the dream, or is she seeing something happening in the real world?
She seems to have forgotten about Magnet Snake. Perhaps that's related.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Seeing that oncoming train maybe.

And Max's statement is a total reference to his mom and super sad

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

No, no, Boss Leader is breaking the fourth wall. She's like, Can you believe kids these days? Do you see what I have to put up with to deal with Mayview? Yikes.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Four posts from the newest update and no speculating on whether she noticed the second spirit that's possessing Max or not, for shame. Everybody knows you need to dogpile on any evidence that collaborates with pet theories as soon as they appear.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pretty sure that Boss Leader is Max's Amnesiac Mom who just remembered who she was, it's all so clear

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I thought everyone agreed Max's mom was Johnny.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Combed Thunderclap posted:

No, no, Boss Leader is breaking the fourth wall. She's like, Can you believe kids these days? Do you see what I have to put up with to deal with Mayview? Yikes.

That was my impression on that panel, too.

Also, Spender wishes his middle name was Nightfox.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Meanwhile BL's actual name is Bossalina Leader.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Four posts from the newest update and no speculating on whether she noticed the second spirit that's possessing Max or not, for shame. Everybody knows you need to dogpile on any evidence that collaborates with pet theories as soon as they appear.

Hey we aren't like those commenters on Zack's page. :colbert: We wait a bit more before spouting our pet theories. :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
but seriously, this is somewhat good timing for her to notice the 'broken god.' her expression is definitely one of shock and not exasperation. plus, it would make for good thematic timing once she just got down explaining she aint gonna tell the medium poo poo and whoops max is a medium

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I think that's what just happened. Possession spirit is going to cut things off before BL can make him forget. That or she realized max is currently unconscious in the pass of the ghost train.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think that's what just happened. Possession spirit is going to cut things off before BL can make him forget. That or she realized max is currently unconscious in the pass of the ghost train.

He's not in the path of the ghost train. It was diving back underground. And even if he was, it would probably just warp him down under it with the ground, and then he'd spring back to normal once it passed.

More than likely either he's waking back up unexpectedly, which would imply she has no way to actually force someone to stay in a dream, or there's something else in Max's room. However, it's a moot point because I'd put money on us cutting back to Spender and Forge for a bit before coming back to Max waking up feeling like something big had just happened but not being sure what.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

He's not in the path of the ghost train. It was diving back underground. And even if he was, it would probably just warp him down under it with the ground, and then he'd spring back to normal once it passed.

Maybe he's in the path of the train train. He is lying on a real set of tracks, after all, and is no longer in spirit time.

Also holy poo poo I just looked at Max's face in panel 2.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 25, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MikeJF posted:

Maybe he's in the path of the train train. He is lying on a real set of tracks, after all, and is no longer in spirit time.

ENGAGE SASS MODE

APPLY MAXIMUM SASS SETTINGS

SASSING

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
He looks so smug about turning that line around on BL.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Or someone found him, called an ambulance and Max's unconscious body is about to cross the Mayview border.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
Oh, hey, I just realized something. In this page, Boss Leader asks Max to make a promise.

In this page:

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=142

Right before Max's eyes go all crazy and he starts saying all kinds of weird poo poo in double pronged word balloons, Doorman asks Max to make a promise.

This probably means............ something? Alternately, nothing. But given what Max says about promises on this page, and the recent page where his mom asks "what do we say about promises", I am leaning towards "something".

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I don't think it's strictly setting up anything about the other spirit, so much as the promise stuff is setting up what happened to his mom. If I had to guess her motto was always something like you should only make promises you know you can keep, based on him promising he'd be careful playing with his friends and her chastising him for doing so. If I had to guess, her death broke a pretty major promise to him. Not that that's all that hard to figure out. Hell, it might even have just been her promising to go with him next time if we want to assume his flashback was the last time he ever saw her.

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

Update just hit. I'm disappointed we didn't get to see what BL was looking at.

Edit --- Alt-text: Boss Leader is lookin' out for you non-archive diving readers.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I wonder how many successes Boss Leader gets with the buttflap option. Great send off line to waking in a cold sweat though.

Also, seems BL controls when the dream ends.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 28, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:allears:

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I wonder how many successes Boss Leader gets with the buttflap option. Great send off line to waking in a cold sweat though.

Also, seems BL controls when the dream ends.

Ed would jump on that offer in a flash.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, now it really does look like she's spotted a possessing spirit in there somewhere, or at least something that doesn't belong in Max's head.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It looks to me more like she just suddenly got an unsettling feeling that something might be wrong but she's not sure what.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It looks to me more like she just suddenly got an unsettling feeling that something might be wrong but she's not sure what.

Yeah, I think she noticed something off with Scrapdragon but it was brief and she didn't catch enough of it to focus and expose it

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah, the "animal instincts" line seems so suggest that BL at least thinks that something is up with Scrapdragon. Maybe he got out of her trap? (Nevermind, I just saw that she released him either on page 275 or 276, can't tell)

I'm wondering: what if it is not Max who is possessed - but Scrapdragon is (making it a twofer, really)? Did we ever get any hints that spirits can possess/take control of somehow of other other spirits?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, the "animal instincts" line seems so suggest that BL at least thinks that something is up with Scrapdragon. Maybe he got out of her trap? (Nevermind, I just saw that she released him either on page 275 or 276, can't tell)

I'm wondering: what if it is not Max who is possessed - but Scrapdragon is (making it a twofer, really)? Did we ever get any hints that spirits can possess/take control of somehow of other other spirits?

Basic spiritual metaphyics seem to argue against the notion. (It doesn't seem like it'd be very sustainable?)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Somebody remind me what a poltergeist is?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ghosts that can move physical objects. Like Peeves from Harry Potter. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternatively, that old horror movie with the kid pulled into the TV.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Boss Leader is great, almost as great as the most important character - Cinnamon Stix

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

paranoid randroid posted:

Boss Leader is great, almost as great as the most important character - Cinnamon Stix

Is that the one who is in your avatar? Zack's a great artist but his ability to write accents makes her seem more incomprehensible than anything else.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is that the one who is in your avatar? Zack's a great artist but his ability to write accents makes her seem more incomprehensible than anything else.

Incomprehensible? I thinks ya gots hweeyerms in yer hed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Update! And we finally exit the dream. Of course, Zach leaves me with questions. The art seems to be really focusing on BL grabbing that star. I wonder if it has some actual significance, or if it's just a red herring.

Also, the alt text is amazing.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2014