Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Oh, wow, this is exactly what I was afraid of.

Wizards get to nuke everyone at high levels, and Fighters get to swing their swords SLIGHTLY HARDER!

I'm just waiting for the PHB2, where they introduce Thermonuclear Blast as a Lvl 2 Spell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Probe 17 posted:

Wizards get to nuke everyone at high levels, and Fighters get to swing their swords SLIGHTLY HARDER!

They also get to swing them three more times! Gosh, get your facts right!

It does almost as much damage as Meteor Swarm does to one of its targets

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I've got a 4e/3e heartbreaker I've been working on for a few months, half out of spite for whenever I learn more about 5e's mechanics. Maybe I'll actually throw it at the forums once it's survived a couple more playtests.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tiny bit off topic: whats a heartbreaker?

In the contexts used above.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Tiny bit off topic: whats a heartbreaker?

In the contexts used above.

By my understanding, "X heartbreaker" means "Game I made because I'm frustrated by X, that does what I like about X in a better way".

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Tendales posted:

I'd kind of like to see the old 'everyone huddle together, make a plan, fighter goes left, rogue runs deep, wizard hangs back, ready, BREAK' come back and be refined. If it's never specifically your turn, then it's also never NOT your turn and you can't just zone out.

S.J. posted:

Are there any recent (good) examples of alternate initiative systems like this outside of wargames?

Popcorn Initiative (by Fred Hicks for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying) might be what you're after. The quick version is that whoever is acting gets to choose who acts next out of everyone who hasn't acted yet, and the final person to act in a round chooses who starts the next round.

I'm also using this for my 4e Retroclone (for this month's contest) with both Warlord and Rogue getting optional abilities to steal or even (for the Warlord) pass the initiative. Because why wouldn't they? And it combines nastily with EONT abilities - if you act at the top of the round with an EONT debuff, everyone gets to take advantage of it twice.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 28, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Class Options article.

quote:

Barbarian: A barbarian picks a primal path that reflects the nature of the character's rage. The two options in the Player's Handbook are the Path of the Berserker and the Path of the Totem Warrior. The berserker fights with an implacable fury, while the totem warrior channels the magic of beasts to augment his or her rage.

Bard: Each bard is inspired by a college—a loose affiliation of like-minded bards who share lore, stories, and performances. The Player's Handbook presents the College of Lore, which focuses on knowledge and performance, and the College of Valor, which focuses on inspiring bravery on the battlefield.

Cleric: Cleric domains reflect the nature of the gods and shape the magic a character wields. The domains in the Player's Handbook are Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, and War.

Druid: A druid joins a circle—one of a number of loose alliances of like-minded druids who share similar outlooks on nature, balance, and the way of druidic magic. The Circle of the Land allows a druid to select a type of terrain from which he or she draws magic. The Circle of the Moon augments a druid's ability to transform into various beasts.

Fighter: All fighters select a martial archetype that reflects a specific approach to combat. The Champion is a mighty warrior who scores deadly critical hits in combat. The Battle Master is a flexible, cunning tactician. The Eldritch Knight masters magic that allows him or her to protect allies and devastate foes.

Monk: A monk commits to a monastic tradition, defined by a specific form of martial arts that helps channel and shape the use of ki energy. The Way of the Open Hand augments a monk's unarmed strikes and allows mastery of the deadly quivering palm technique. The Way of Shadow turns a monk into a stealthy warrior who manipulates darkness to confuse and confound enemies. The Way of the Four Elements allows a monk to channel ki into spells and blasts of elemental energy.

Paladin: All paladins take an oath—a pledge to a code of conduct that guides their lives and shapes their abilities. The Oath of Devotion binds a paladin to the ideal of justice, virtue, and order. The Oath of the Ancients pledges a paladin to protect the natural world and preserve hope across the land. The Oath of Vengeance turns a paladin into a deadly avenger who seeks out and punishes wrongdoers.

Ranger: A ranger selects an archetype that reflects his or her ideals and relationship to nature. The Hunter stands guard in the wilderness, stopping threats before they can menace civilization. The Beast Master cultivates a powerful bond to creatures, fighting alongside them to bring down enemies.

Rogue: A rogue selects a roguish archetype that reflects his or her approach to crime and chicanery. The Thief is an evasive, sneaky trickster. The Assassin is a focused and quiet killer. The Arcane Trickster uses enchantment and illusion magic to enact his or her schemes.

Sorcerer: A sorcerer's magic arises from a sorcerous origin—the event, ancestry, or quirk of fate that gifted the character with power. The Draconic Bloodline reflects a sorcerer's distant dragon ancestry, and grants powers that reflect a dragon's nature. Wild Magic imbues a sorcerer with the energy of raw chaos, producing unpredictable results from his or her magic.

Warlock: A warlock's patron shapes this class's power. The Archfey grants beguiling magic useful for trickery and quick escapes. The Fiend imparts the power of destructive fire and diabolic resistance. The mysterious Great Old One grants telepathic abilities and chilling glimpses into the nature of the multiverse.

Wizard: A wizard selects an arcane tradition—the specific approach to the study of magic that shapes his or her outlook and talents. Though many traditions exist, the Player's Handbook focuses on the established schools of D&D magic—Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, and Transmutation.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

A little curious, was Arcane Trickster in the leaked phb? And if so, was it basically E.Knight but with different spell schools?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Huh. Okay. Paladin-Avenger option. That sounds intriguing. Any info on that?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Generic Octopus posted:

A little curious, was Arcane Trickster in the leaked phb? And if so, was it basically E.Knight but with different spell schools?

Right, enchantment or illusion, capping at 4th level spells (which you hit at level 19).

Mendrian posted:

Huh. Okay. Paladin-Avenger option. That sounds intriguing. Any info on that?

You get some oath spells, channel divinity cause fear, you gain advantage on enemies who hit allies near you, you can attack your oath target when they make an attack and at level 20 you can turn into an angel for an hour gaining a 60 foot fly speed and a fear aura.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Some of these sound so cool but I just know that 5e is going to ruin the potential.

I assume Eldritch Knight (:black101:) is a fighter who gets a few wizard spells, and not anything actually cool or interesting? I would be delighted to be wrong!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

I assume Eldritch Knight (:black101:) is a fighter who gets a few wizard spells, and not anything actually cool or interesting?

Basically yes, unless they overhauled the version from a few months ago.

Jack the Lad posted:

Right, enchantment or illusion, capping at 4th level spells (which you hit at level 19).

That's what I expected, but I'm still disappointed. Strikes me as super lazy too.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 28, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, you can be a fighter X/Wizard 3 without taking three levels in wizard! How cool is that, huh?!

Basically, these Veteran Game Designers are so lacking in imagination, they even had to outsource 5e adventures.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Generic Octopus posted:

That's what I expected, but I'm still disappointed. Strikes me as super lazy too.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on all of 5e so far.

I mean, there is some randomly cool stuff - spells, mostly - but it all just rather reeks of :effort:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jack the Lad posted:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on all of 5e so far.

I mean, there is some randomly cool stuff - spells, mostly - but it all just rather reeks of :effort:

:negative: "Natural language" — why convey information practically when you can beat around the bush forever?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Popcorn Initiative (by Fred Hicks for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying) might be what you're after. The quick version is that whoever is acting gets to choose who acts next out of everyone who hasn't acted yet, and the final person to act in a round chooses who starts the next round.

I haven't played 5e's starter set yet to try out Popcorn Initiative there, but we've been using it for the second half of Heroic Tier in 4e. It's starting to look untenable for Paragon tier, since there are more player and monster powers that are "if condition is met, worse thing happens." A simple example is the level 14 Elite Umber Hulk; it has a standard action that allows it two claw attacks. With Popcorn, if it ends the round, it can choose itself to start the next round.

Four claw attacks in a row would be bad enough, but if it hits with two in a row from its double-attack standard action, the target creature is then grabbed. The Umber Hulk has another standard action it can only do when a creature is grabbed, and that action is an automatic 40 HP of damage (no roll or save or means of escape, except for what would have been a round to escape the grab if you weren't using Popcorn Initiative). The Umber Hulk also has an action point, because it's an Elite. If the Umber Hulk hits at the end of a round with both of its claw attacks, it can start the next round with that 40 HP damage, and action point immediately to do it again, which (with the two claw hits) is enough to take level-appropriate PCs from full HP to negative HP. There are some things on the player side that can be just as bad, but the campaign doesn't come to a screeching halt when the party TPKs the monsters. Dragons and other multi-initiative-slot modern-design solos are even more deadly when they get to have all of their actions in a row without players between them, because (being one creature) you can only cast one daze/stun on them per round, which they will shake off with their first action.

WFRP 3e/EotE "everyone rolls initiative to decide when the player slots/enemy slots are, but each side picks who goes in its own slots from round to round" is better, mitigating but not preventing the Umber Hulk PC-shredding above.

Edit: so, uhh, be careful with Popcorn Initiative, I guess?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

homullus posted:

I haven't played 5e's starter set yet to try out Popcorn Initiative there, but we've been using it for the second half of Heroic Tier in 4e. It's starting to look untenable for Paragon tier, since there are more player and monster powers that are "if condition is met, worse thing happens."
[Snip]
Edit: so, uhh, be careful with Popcorn Initiative, I guess?

Thanks. That's worth thinking about :)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The main thing with the Eldritch Knight is that it has no option to attack AND spellcast together.

It's literally just a fighter/mage multiclass as one class. It's not like there aren't examples of how to do this better. Ok fine, ignore the Swordmage because Mearls hates 4e, but now you're also ignoring Paizo's magus and 3.5's duskblade and psionic warrior.

I see a lot of people talking about how 5e is better then 3.x. Know what? No it isn't. Because 3.x learned in it's 8 year period. 3.x created Tome of Battle and the factotum, it gave 3.x style psionics and the warlock/dragon shaman, the beguiler and dread necromancer, the duskblade and spellthief. 5e isn't just desperately trying to forget 4e - it's trying to forget most of 3.x, too. 3e core was more unbalanced then 5e core, but 3e core was made 14 motherfucking years ago. What's 5e's excuse?

5e is a 2001 game made in 2014.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The main thing with the Eldritch Knight is that it has no option to attack AND spellcast together.

It sorta kinda not-really does...at level 7 you get a cantrip + 1 attack, and at 18 you get a spell + 1 attack, at least according to screencaps from the test phb.

It's still a very lazy "fighter + wizard = fighterwizard" design though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So as an eldritch warrior I can get the amazing ability to attack cast something useful just two levels before the cap, and not any time before.

Lovely.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I guess you could attack, action point, cast a spell. Uh. Yeah that's a thing I guess. Best use of action points: casting spells.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

ritorix posted:

I guess you could attack, action point, cast a spell. Uh. Yeah that's a thing I guess. Best use of action points: casting spells.

A Wizard can also take 2 levels of Fighter to be able to cast a spell, action surge, cast a spell.

:smugwizard:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

A Wizard can also take 2 levels of Fighter to be able to cast a spell, action surge, cast a spell.

And three to get all the interesting features of the first fourteen levels of Battlemaster :negative: Being fair, the fighter fifth level ability is also nice to the point a fighter/cleric might want it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack the Lad posted:

Nope, only 1 spell (+ maybe a cantrip) per round.

It's not THAT hosed.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

dwarf74 posted:

Nope, only 1 spell (+ maybe a cantrip) per round.

It's not THAT hosed.

Hm! I thought that was the case at first but when I checked in Basic I couldn't find it and figured they removed the limitation for whatever reason. Where's it at?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
drat it, I'll try to say something nice about the eldritch knight...

Hmmm...

They will have both full extra attack progression and cantrip damage progression. Could give then nice options for both ranged and melee. A dex/int knight would work. They can basically have protection from evil up on themselves nearly every fight and be very tanky.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The bard

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Is it just me, or does the guy look badly photoshopped into the scene he's in on that first page? Look at the guitar.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ProfessorProf posted:

By my understanding, "X heartbreaker" means "Game I made because I'm frustrated by X, that does what I like about X in a better way".

Wealllll. The original meaning was somewhat different:

Ron Edwards posted:

The basic notion is that nearly all of the listed games have one great idea buried in them somewhere. It's perhaps the central point of this essay - that yes, these games are not "only" AD&D knockoffs and hodgepodges of house rules. They are indeed the products of actual play, love for the medium, and determined creativity. That's why they break my heart, because the nuggets are so buried and bemired within all the painful material I listed above...

People in this forum (and elsewhere?) have since taken the term to mean something closer to how you're using it. But, as I understood it, they were also offering a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement of the likely outcome of their labours - a mediocre D&D knockoff, made with love.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack the Lad posted:

Hm! I thought that was the case at first but when I checked in Basic I couldn't find it and figured they removed the limitation for whatever reason. Where's it at?

Hmm also. I only see it about bonus action spells (under casting times), so maybe it is that hosed!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

dwarf74 posted:

Hmm also. I only see it about bonus action spells (under casting times), so maybe it is that hosed!

Yep, I think so :unsmith:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jack the Lad posted:

Yep, I think so :unsmith:

Why not ask @mikemearls? I hear he's quick to respond to rules questions! :)

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
what are you guys talking about? using extra attacks for additional spells?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

treeboy posted:

what are you guys talking about? using extra attacks for additional spells?

Action Surge gives you an extra action, nothing to do with attacks.

But yeah - taking 2 levels of Fighter to gain Action Surge to cast 2 spells in one round.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

Why not ask @mikemearls? I hear he's quick to respond to rules questions! :)

FuegoFish could bang out an "Ask Mike Mearls" random generator in 30 seconds, the only result is "Let your GM decide."

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Action Surge gives you an extra action, nothing to do with attacks.

But yeah - taking 2 levels of Fighter to gain Action Surge to cast 2 spells in one round.

I'm...not sure about this. The rules regarding bonus action spells specifically state you can cast no other spells on your turn other than the bonus action spell, except maybe a cantrip. The problem is Action Surge says it gives an additional action and "maybe a bonus action"

Seems like they were editing language and messed it up.

edit: i don't see why it would limit you from casting another spell when using a bonus action but not limit casting with two "normal" actions

treeboy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 28, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

treeboy posted:

I'm...not sure about this. The rules regarding bonus action spells specifically state you can cast no other spells on your turn other than the bonus action spell, except maybe a cantrip. The problem is Action Surge says it gives an additional action and "maybe a bonus action"

Seems like they were editing language and messed it up.

edit: i don't see why it would limit you from casting another spell when using a bonus action but not limit casting with two "normal" actions

Right. Action Surge doesn't give an additional action and "maybe a bonus action" - it gives an additional action on top of your regular action and possible bonus action.

So I think it works. A 2 level Fighter dip seems like a nice one for Wizards with some spell progression under their belt.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Right. Action Surge doesn't give an additional action and "maybe a bonus action" - it gives an additional action on top of your regular action and possible bonus action.

So I think it works. A 2 level Fighter dip seems like a nice one for Wizards with some spell progression under their belt.

Ah i see, i misread "Possible" as "possibly"

Still, i don't see why they'd limit Action + B.Action spell casting but allow Action+Action. By this rules/logic if i had Action, Action, B. Action, but used my bonus for a spell i couldn't use either action for a spell.

Still, it would only be once a fight until 17th level. Not a bad dip for armor proficiency/second wind/fighting style either.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

neonchameleon posted:

I'm also using this for my 4e Retroclone (for this month's contest) with both Warlord and Rogue getting optional abilities to steal or even (for the Warlord) pass the initiative. Because why wouldn't they? And it combines nastily with EONT abilities - if you act at the top of the round with an EONT debuff, everyone gets to take advantage of it twice.

Cool, I've got a physical copy of the MHR book I just haven't looked it over much. That's an interesting way of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
There's no way that guitar isn't a bad photoshop over a sword of some kind.