Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

WarpZealot posted:

I've played a very small amount of DF before and want to get back in. Should I download the old version with the mods in the OP (and if so, which ones?) or version 40.05?

This is a very very nice pack of 0.34.11 with DFHack mods automatically activated (including fixes to the military system, bad thought bullshit, hospital success rates) and appropriate versions of all the best utilities included. Plus it comes with a choice of tilesets and other pleasant things.

It's a 2012 version, but if you're planning to play mainly Fortress Mode then it isn't missing many significant features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Mediocre posted:

This is a very very nice pack of 0.34.11 with DFHack mods automatically activated (including fixes to the military system, bad thought bullshit, hospital success rates) and appropriate versions of all the best utilities included. Plus it comes with a choice of tilesets and other pleasant things.

It's a 2012 version, but if you're planning to play mainly Fortress Mode then it isn't missing many significant features.

Yeah, ignore the "THIS IS OLD AND YOU ARE LAME" warning. It really means "everything works".

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.

Captain Mediocre posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

toady posted:

It'll be a somewhat long process of digging the problems out of their minds.

in reference to the non aggression of creatures

heh

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I just recently got the itch to play dwarf fortress again, and what do you know, there's a major update. In case I feel like trying this crazy new version instead of a stabler older version, could someone explain this new jumping and climbing thing to me? Is the jumping horizontal or also vertical? What sort of moat would be required to defend against jumping? What sort of wall would protect against climbing? What sort of creatures could do it? I'm mainly speaking in terms of fortress mode.

I'm scared.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Are townspeople hostile to kobolds/amphibian-people/etc and vice-versa? I attacked a pair of kobolds in the dungeons below a keep, but they just ran away crying. I let them live because it was too sad. It would feel less like murder if they were hostile to townspeople or something.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Everyone runs away crying now. Goblins who siege your fortress will run away crying as soon as someone bruises a knee or something.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

String dump comparison status: most of them typos, updated projectile stats also given to the procgen stuff, one new errorlog message about fixing angry migrants in old saves, but also two new tags.

CHANGE_FREQUENCY_PERC is a new creature variation tag that lets you cut the frequency of the original species by a certain % amount. This is what's used to fix the deluge of furries wandering the wilds in the place of everything else, since small birds and little insects have immense population numbers and frequency ratings. Removing the UBIQUITOUS tags with the creature variation helps too (jesus why was that ever in there).

STRICT_POPULATION_CAP is in d_init.txt. I only read something about the migrant waves responding to the population cap only after it's been exceeded being a bug, so this might be the solution to that.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 28, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Boing posted:

Everyone runs away crying now. Goblins who siege your fortress will run away crying as soon as someone bruises a knee or something.

I think this might be realism though. The swelling deep in your chest to fight for queen and country against the hordes of darkness dissolves pretty quickly once you've sustained a leg injury and are lying on the battlefield waiting to die. Same thing if your buddy Urist is trying to gather his intestines from the ground in an ill-fated attempt to place them back in his body cavity.

Of course the other guy usually doesn't share your epiphany and walks over to where you are and stabs you.

Not that I'm arguing for realism trumping gameplay, but at least in fortress mode it seems like an elegant solution to the sieges being boring. Like, if you decimate an attacking force, you've basically won.

EDIT: This also makes necromancers/undead/nightcreatures hecka freaky because they don't fear death and will fight to the last.

moller fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 28, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It's not realism to have every army break and flee in a complete tear-stained rout at the first casualty.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

cock hero flux posted:

It's not realism to have every army break and flee in a complete tear-stained rout at the first casualty.

:france:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Necromancers definitely fear death and will yell "that's alarming!" and :iit: while fleeing head over heels amidst their unstoppable zombie armies.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

*toots out a fart cloud in the shape of the numbers 23.03 and 40.05*

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I suggest "Fat dwarves eating causes lag." as the 40.05 subtext

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

canepazzo posted:

I suggest "Fat dwarves eating causes lag." as the 40.05 subtext

"fixed the thermodynamics of dwarven panniculi"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
DF2014: Dwarven Fat Shamers

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I still have no idea why I don't have sound with this version of DF. It worked fine in the last one, and I checked the init files to make sure it's on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

my dad posted:

I still have no idea why I don't have sound with this version of DF. It worked fine in the last one, and I checked the init files to make sure it's on.

Did you download the version without sound accidentally?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

pixaal posted:

Did you download the version without sound accidentally?

Nope. I checked it twice. The file I downloaded is df_40_05_win.zip

edit: The sound files are in place, the sounds are ON in init, the volume is up, and I even checked the sound mixer, just in case. Still nothing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Did you install the new version on top of the old one? That can have some occult effects.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

Did you install the new version on top of the old one? That can have some occult effects.

Nope. I always completely remove the old version before unzipping the new one.

Honestly, it's not that much of a problem since I can simply play the DF music in winamp and start DF afterwards, but I'm worried that it might be a sign of some other fuckup.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

scamtank posted:

My favourite example of this was the time someone installed a new version over an old one and all the dwarves somehow had wizard powers, half the scenery was flashing rainbow-coloured mystery rock with reality-bending properties, and everyone died because a dwarf got pissed at a rat or something, shot a fireball at it, and managed to literally set the entire world on fire resulting in a crash.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
When testing the early version, I just gave all my dwarves a few levels of discipline to start off with. It seemed to grow pretty quickly if they were exposed to FUN stuff. Still needs a better "panic and run off bawling" threshold.

Sounds like hostile A.I. fixes up next?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

I actually really like the idea that sometimes you go up against a bunch of desperate farmers who run the moment one guy gets his hand cut off, while more experienced fighting forces refuse to break against all but the most horrifying losses. Having morale mean as much to battle as weapon skill seems incredibly realistic to me, actually.

Granted, that's not even close to what the current system is like.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Angry Diplomat posted:

My favourite example of this was the time someone installed a new version over an old one and all the dwarves somehow had wizard powers, half the scenery was flashing rainbow-coloured mystery rock with reality-bending properties, and everyone died because a dwarf got pissed at a rat or something, shot a fireball at it, and managed to literally set the entire world on fire resulting in a crash.

That was a long time ago, I think it happened when the very first 3D release was installed over an old 2D release or something.

The reason that bug was so awesome was the fact that dwarves being called "wizards" in the game and shooting fireballs in combat couldn't have just occurred completely by accident. Wizards were something that Toady must have deliberately coded at one time way back when, but he never told anyone about it, didn't enable it in the game, and didn't give any option to enable it anywhere in any of the config files. If it hadn't been for someone installing over an old version, nobody would have ever known that the feature was hidden there somewhere in the depths of the compiled executable file.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
That actually happened? It almost sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool if" story someone made up.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wizards existed in the raws, but they didn't have any attached biome so they couldn't spawn. They would only show up in preferences and I think art.

e: ^^^^ http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-55-wizardtowergoingupinsmoke

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 28, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hang on, I'm remembering something about a (potential?) feature that a chosen dwarf would suddenly get unhappy thoughts for having "been tormented in nightmares by the dead lately". Soon after, a wizard would visit the fortress, asking to take the poor bastard along on his quest. If you refused or got unlucky or something, the fortress would later be assaulted by an enormous army of skeletons and zombies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Hang on, I'm remembering something about a (potential?) feature that a chosen dwarf would suddenly get unhappy thoughts for having "been tormented in nightmares by the dead lately". Soon after, a wizard would visit the fortress, asking to take the poor bastard along on his quest. If you refused or got unlucky or something, the fortress would later be assaulted by an enormous army of skeletons and zombies.

Man, Toady intended to have a Gandalf-spawning algorithm in this game? I knew he wanted a fantasy-story simulator, but drat!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Spoggerific posted:

That actually happened? It almost sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool if" story someone made up.

Yes, it happened, see:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-56-wizardfortress
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-55-wizardtowergoingupinsmoke

e;fb

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Are history calculations done at all during fortress mode, or is it only during the calendar advancement screen? I want to play on larger worlds now that the calendar is sped up a little, but if history calculations from large worlds will tank my FPS during fort mode, I won't bother.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spoggerific posted:

Are history calculations done at all during fortress mode, or is it only during the calendar advancement screen? I want to play on larger worlds now that the calendar is sped up a little, but if history calculations from large worlds will tank my FPS during fort mode, I won't bother.

Not sure but I think yeah your FPS will suffer still.

This is madness. The minerals are like Schrodinger's Mineral, you don't know what you'll mine until it's mined.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm having a problem with my farms, one that I haven't had since long before the 2012 version because I THOUGHT I knew how stockpiles worked, but apparently I am missing something.

I have a plot of plump helmets. Dwarves are harvesting the plump helmets and leaving them there to rot. I have a stockpile with all food options enabled RIGHT BESIDE the farm, and 10 idlers, but my food is still rotting. Food mixing is on (I have tried turning it off). I have empty barrels. The stockpile is set to use barrels (I have also tried not using barrels). I've tried a few other things that I can't even remember off the top of my head. Can anyone think of anything I might be missing? For now I'll just set the food to be dumped and put a garbage zone on top of the stockpile, but that's annoying and dumb.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Try deleting the stockpile entirely, and making a new 'food' stockpile with the default options.

If you post your save I can probably figure it out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A gremlin has hosed with your Orders menu settings.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: welp nevermind haha

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Found it. Dwarves ignore food.

I really hate that menu sometimes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So is there a compiled DFhack working for the new version or not yet?

I seem to remember people talking about it a couple pages ago.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 28, 2014

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Found it. Dwarves ignore food.

I really hate that menu sometimes.

Does anyone remember why that was added in the first place? I could see if it prevented dwarves from harvesting food it might have been useful before burrows were implemented, to keep dwarves from going to outdoor farms during sieges. Turning off all food hauling doesn't seem to have any purpose, as far as I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
It's kinda soothing going back to default DF, intro movie and all, after LNPs and Masterworks and DFHacks. Sorta peaceful, or maybe that's just Toady's guitar work. The new trees and flowers make the surface really gorgeous (for ASCII) and after a year or two the only thing I REALLY miss is the digv command.