Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/hardcore-bwa-instance-temporarily-disabled.4418821/

Hardcore BWA is temporarily disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Applying for the various Goons armies as Thronde. Whomever gets to me first and whatnot.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Doesn't surprise me at all but honestly what do they expect people to do when the boss spawns tons of adds, hits like a truck and takes half an hour of sustained fire to kill? I bet it'll still be exploitable as all gently caress when it comes back though. That or nobody will do it.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Fina posted:

I was wondering why the DPS was so high on the Burst Rifle but I didn't realize how fast you could click the button to fire volley after volley. The DPS is pretty crazy, especially when you're under one of those infinite ammo buffs.

I hate that change so much. If you rebind your mouse wheel to fire and give it a flick, you can dump your whole magazine in the blink of the eye. It is the new shotgun but better at it. It also makes the assault rifle pointless. And the SMG.

Luckily, the Necro versions you get from BWA are immune to this change and have double the damage per bullet. That makes it an extremely potent weapon when you use it to burst head shots at range like it was intended. You can use the level 28 one from BWA until 40 if you like. I got a couple level 40 versions from BWA Hard before they closed it down and they're amazing doing >3k per bullet for 10k bursts.

Gammon posted:

At level 23, I still haven't bought any perks because I don't want to gently caress something up and then have to spend a significant amount to respec. Rather just wait until I know what I'm doing better. Also, I assume the perk point rate speeds up at some point, because one every 4 levels, and starting at level 10, is not going to give us 21 points by level 40...

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/how-much-xp-is-required-to-get-to-level-40-now.4243521/#post-65941621

Don't be afraid to experiment with perks. Respecs aren't expensive and you get free ones every few 10 levels or so. It also doesn't hurt to read up on the perks in the official forums. As long as the replies are newer than the patch, the info should be current. There's quite a few veterans on the forums that post really good info.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm curious to know how far the Arcing Bolts perk stretches on the Rhino Laser MG because it might be a nice substitute for the Mammoth Plasma MG.

Pretty far. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-5m I would guess. It's enough to notice how terrible it is. I used it on the Tigerclaw and would hit something for 5k and watch his friends take pulses of damage a couple times a second until the effect wore off. The damage from the effect wasn't even enough to kill level appropriate aranha though so it wasn't worth the 8 points or so. At least, not to me.

I'm not sure what you mean about substituting the Laser MG for the Heavy Plasma MG. The Rhino and Mammoth can't use each others guns.

Morglon posted:

Make a new account to play the intro then. Toss it when you're done.

The intro doesn't teach you anything. It's more of an interactive cinematic. New accounts aren't allowed in until the 29th so it won't help him anyway.

There are really only two sources of good info on what's changed and how to play the game now. 1: Go through and read the patch notes and announcements on the official forums from the last several months or 2: Just play. Most things are fairly intuitive and have tooltips that pop up when you mouse over various things. Not everything, but a lot. There are info bots all over Copa to give out info but they're from two milestones ago and a lot of the info is outdated.

Specific questions can be answered directly either here, the official forums, or /shudder zone chat. There are mentors in game so you can usually trust anyone who answers with a green apple in front of their name.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Morglon posted:

Doesn't surprise me at all but honestly what do they expect people to do when the boss spawns tons of adds, hits like a truck and takes half an hour of sustained fire to kill? I bet it'll still be exploitable as all gently caress when it comes back though. That or nobody will do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeMRujJYiw

People figured out they could ignore the boss and farm the elites for fuckloads of drops.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

People figured out they could ignore the boss and farm the elites for fuckloads of drops.

Beats what I did.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Daysvala posted:

Do you think you could do an effortpost with your thoughts on which perks are good and which are not so good for each frame? I'd love to know what perks I should be taking for my nighthawk.

The general rule I use for perks is to build for survivability first then damage. For recons this means Regenerative Plating and for Dreadnaughts this means Resilient Plating. Assaults get nanite absorption (which makes healing packs super good).

For damage I usually go for SIN blades ASAP because they are stupidly good right now, but otherwise just get abilities that reinforce the good points of your primaries: ex. Nighthawks should build for alpha damage, which means getting as many first-shot bonuses as possible, such as Ambush, Head Hunter and Ballistics Expert. Melee raptors should get knockout to boost their melee, and dragonfly can be built to boost either healing or damage with Rally.

If I still have perk points left over I'll go for the -20% damage to specific types perks. If I remember correctly, bullet and energy are by far the most common.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The jump perk is also really good. It doesn't sound like much but it pretty much doubles your default jump height which lets you get more vertical movement from your jetpack and makes dodging easy. Constantly jumping and zigzagging back and forth will make most enemies almost completely unable to hit you with bullets.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Morglon posted:

Make a new account to play the intro then. Toss it when you're done.

Good call, I'll do that!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Inimicul posted:

Pretty far. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-5m I would guess. It's enough to notice how terrible it is. I used it on the Tigerclaw and would hit something for 5k and watch his friends take pulses of damage a couple times a second until the effect wore off. The damage from the effect wasn't even enough to kill level appropriate aranha though so it wasn't worth the 8 points or so. At least, not to me.

I'm not sure what you mean about substituting the Laser MG for the Heavy Plasma MG. The Rhino and Mammoth can't use each others guns.

I meant in the sense that the Plasma HMG already does an AOE. Equipping that perk would allow the Laser MG to do the same. I was just wondering if it would be worth it for PVE to do so?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So the official launch date is the 29th, but if I have created an account does that mean I can play it now? I'm confused the website says play now and the launch date says the 29th.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ModeSix posted:

So the official launch date is the 29th, but if I have created an account does that mean I can play it now? I'm confused the website says play now and the launch date says the 29th.
If you have an account, you should most likely be able to play. All of the beta players can still play. It is only new people coming into the game without accounts that can't play.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
If you already have a beta account you can start playing.

The wording on that is terrible, I didn't join in until recently because I thought that I had to buy-in to play the early access.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
So I downloaded and fired the game up. Not really sure what's going on anymore and all the levels in suits other than my dreadnaught are gone. Also, level 20 monsters kill me as a level 20 dreadnaught so that's something.

Are there specific things I should be doing to get back into this or am I just in need of materials and time to craft better gear?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Picked up my old beta account and gave the revamped game a spin. Wow, they really rebuilt this thing into a fun game. Didn't plan on putting much time into it but still ended up at level 10. Not sure if I want to stick with engineer. Seems powerful but gotta manage turrets and such.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Inimicul posted:

Is that the engineer's grenade launcher?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ralith posted:

Is that the engineer's grenade launcher?

Its a recluse bio crossbow.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh, haha. That explains why it looked competitive with the Firecat's primary.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

There is a mission called "what plants crave" and indeed you go fetch some electrolytes and feed them to the plants :v:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I see you can buy inventory expansion with red beans. Is it really 5 beans for 1 slot or what is the exchange rate there?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Fina posted:

I see you can buy inventory expansion with red beans. Is it really 5 beans for 1 slot or what is the exchange rate there?
5 beans for the first ten slots, then it doubles for each additional ten slots. Bear in mind that you can buy red beans for credits, and the first few expansions are actually quite affordable this way.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, 5 beans for 10 extra slots isn't too bad. I'm having a hard time keeping it under the limit. Mostly filled with a wide range of modules that I'm holding onto since I have a bunch of different frames and different levels.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've found that my inventory use always expands to fill the space I have. You can also always just sell the stuff you don't have an immediate use for, and buy it back later if/when that changes. I'm starting to just salvage all whites I pick up, too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Soooo... I bought in to this game at the Lieutenant level back when it was first available at PAX, like, three years ago? Played it a bit probably a year+ ago, before they had levels, and when you had to grind a hundred different minerals from fifty different places to get a small marginal improvement in your gear, and they had a weird "system improvement" thing in place.

I am nigh-totally lost at this point. I have a squad thumper, but no personal thumper, and just applied for Goon Squad. Level 12 Engineer (I didn't play a ton).

Anyone know if they got rid of the permanent personal/squad buffs you were supposed to get for pre-buying at certain levels? Also, what's the best way to spend my Red Beans (I have 440 of them)? Motorcycle? Advanced Suits? VIP status?

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone know if they got rid of the permanent personal/squad buffs you were supposed to get for pre-buying at certain levels? Also, what's the best way to spend my Red Beans (I have 440 of them)? Motorcycle? Advanced Suits? VIP status?

Bike, you will be crying for mobility more than anything. And while you can craft a bike in game, you'll have to wait till Lv25 and before then you'll most likely be doing 8km jobs in Shanty for a while.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Picked this up again after a long while of not playing. Only a level 3 Biotech at the moment and have applied to the goon armies as BreadGhoul. Gotta love the old random name gen. :allears:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I also see that the main army is at cap but my dude is in LLJK. Should I drop and apply or not bother? My guy is named Blazinzero if I end up switching.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yeah after getting a bike at level 25, it's basically the best thing. It's mobile cover whenever I need it! Oh, and I guess it makes me go fast, too. I wish you could customize their colors, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I take it level 25 is a much longer amount of time to wait than it seems like it would be...?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Thanatosian posted:

I take it level 25 is a much longer amount of time to wait than it seems like it would be...?

More importantly, every bike you can craft in game sucks rear end compared to the bean bikes. Even the XLR you can craft at 40 is only 75% as good as a bean bike.

You cannot change colors but you can buy different colored bikes whenever they go on sale. If you're super rich in crystite, you may be able to afford a bike someone bought and put on the market.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

More importantly, every bike you can craft in game sucks rear end compared to the bean bikes. Even the XLR you can craft at 40 is only 75% as good as a bean bike.

You cannot change colors but you can buy different colored bikes whenever they go on sale. If you're super rich in crystite, you may be able to afford a bike someone bought and put on the market.
Ahhh, okay, awesome, totally picking up one of those babies.

Anything clearly superior like that worth picking up with the other 265 beans I've got? I was thinking maybe a Mammoth or a Bastion, but is it a waste buying frames with those? And are there any frames that are generally considered lovely, or is it more of an "a place for everything, and everything in its place" kind of thing?

Also, did they get rid of that garage area you used to be able to go to and try out frames in?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I've never tried but are jobs shareable by squad mates? Also are all the waypoints and what have you for a job static, or if two people were fortunate enough to have the same job could they get sent to different locations? I like the job board better than ares, but I don't like running solo.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

xxEightxx posted:

I've never tried but are jobs shareable by squad mates? Also are all the waypoints and what have you for a job static, or if two people were fortunate enough to have the same job could they get sent to different locations? I like the job board better than ares, but I don't like running solo.

1. Yes, but it's a little buggy if you quit a mission early or invite someone while on a mission.
2. The only time the game shares locations is if two people are on the same part of the same quest.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Thanatosian posted:

Ahhh, okay, awesome, totally picking up one of those babies.

Anything clearly superior like that worth picking up with the other 265 beans I've got? I was thinking maybe a Mammoth or a Bastion, but is it a waste buying frames with those? And are there any frames that are generally considered lovely, or is it more of an "a place for everything, and everything in its place" kind of thing?

Also, did they get rid of that garage area you used to be able to go to and try out frames in?

You may also want to pick up the rechargable glider pad. They're insanely useful. I wouldn't spend beans on frames. You can buy those easy enough with credits or just level up other frames to buy new ones the normal way.

Yeah, the battle lab is out of game for now but will probably make a comeback as a try-before-you-buy kind of car dealership where the different manufacturers pimp their wares.

xxEightxx posted:

The way job sharing works is this: Squad leader can take a job and as long as everyone else in the squad is nearby and has no active job already, they'll get the job too. As long as they move as a squad and participate in each step, they'll also get credit and proceed to the next (same) waypoint to continue. If someone lags behind or stops to do some stupid crashed LGV event, they'll miss out and be out of sync with the rest of the squad and have different waypoints, etc.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Thanatosian posted:

Anything clearly superior like that worth picking up with the other 265 beans I've got?
Place a buy order for a reusable hoverpad. If you use one of those and a glider pad simultaneously, you'll rocket up into the air and can gain enough altitude to glide almost anywhere from almost anywhere. It makes bikes a bit obsolete, to be honest.

Also, always check the price of something on the market in credits before buying it with red beans. It's usually cheaper, though of course that depends on the current exchange rate.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ralith posted:

Place a buy order for a reusable hoverpad. If you use one of those and a glider pad simultaneously, you'll rocket up into the air and can gain enough altitude to glide almost anywhere from almost anywhere. It makes bikes a bit obsolete, to be honest.

When they fix/change that I'll be laughing from my rad chopper bike :smug:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Ralith posted:

Also, always check the price of something on the market in credits before buying it with red beans. It's usually cheaper, though of course that depends on the current exchange rate.

This cannot be overstated enough. When my friend and I started playing again he wanted to try Firecat since he always loved the assault frames and Bam! he's down 100 red beans.

Shortly thereafter I read in this thread about converting beans to credits and just buying licenses and other goodies. I think to myself "I wonder how much of a difference that makes?" so I turn 100 red beans into Credits and proceed to buy 4 frame licenses......my friend proceeds to go hang himself in the shower for wasting so many beans. Moral of the story? Don't buy anything with beans until you check the Marketplace.

Also Arus is right, Locust Choppers are #1.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Vitamins posted:

Picked this up again after a long while of not playing. Only a level 3 Biotech at the moment and have applied to the goon armies as BreadGhoul. Gotta love the old random name gen. :allears:

I've created the overflow guild and am trying to invite all the pending invites and there's some people who seem to have deleted their characters or the system tells me names like BreadGhoul does not exist anymore. Anyone wanting in, apply to Goon Squad Two (No Fedoras) and I'll accept. Nalin will get it linked with Alliancebot in a bit.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Inimicul posted:

I've created the overflow guild and am trying to invite all the pending invites and there's some people who seem to have deleted their characters or the system tells me names like BreadGhoul does not exist anymore. Anyone wanting in, apply to Goon Squad Two (No Fedoras) and I'll accept. Nalin will get it linked with Alliancebot in a bit.

Oops forgot to edit my post, but BreadGhoul was deleted due to a bunch of UI stuff not working correctly. No big loss. Will apply as PlumSpider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalarifik
Jul 19, 2004
I'm a saucy brit

Inimicul posted:

Ta for the invite, you've got 13 more pending, good luck tomorrow!

• Locked thread