Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

I've got a crazy theory that might turn out to have some validity:

So based on the 10,000 year figure given in S2 for the amount of time since the first Avatar, and assuming a roughly 100-year average lifespan for Avatars, I think we can assume that the number of Avatars to ever have existed is somewhere in the area of one hundred. Furthermore, given the rate at which New Airbenders are being discovered, something on a similar order of magnitude might be the number of New Airbenders. A connection?

Don't forget that its likely dozens died doing their duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

computer parts posted:

I think that if Season 1 didn't have Aang wrap up everything in the last 5 minutes people wouldn't hate Season 1 as much as they do.

I mean yeah the Equalist stuff wasn't as deep as people were imagining but it was still a mastermind plot by a dude with daddy issues which has been the MO of Avatar since forever.

They could even have done the same ending more or less, just have Aang tell her that her powers will come back and end with her struggling to try to earth/water/firebend again.

I really don't think the fix-everything ending was a big deal. Disney does it in essentially every movie they've ever done. It's a kids show.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And really, being the Avatar should have some sort of immunity from being unable to do its job.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Hauldren Collider posted:

I really don't think the fix-everything ending was a big deal. Disney does it in essentially every movie they've ever done. It's a kids show.

This argument hardly holds up because relying on deus ex machina is never a good thing, and TLA managed to not be terrible for its whole run.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So I didn't this posted anywhere, but all the season 3 episodes that have aired so far are up on nick.com.
http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hauldren Collider posted:

This completely misunderstands why it works in Disney films, though. It's not just "Oh poo poo, movie's over, happy ending now," it's hinged on some pivotal character development or the resolution of an arc, and the fix is actually set up beforehand. Change is earned.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

This completely misunderstands why it works in Disney films, though. It's not just "Oh poo poo, movie's over, happy ending now," it's hinged on some pivotal character development or the resolution of an arc, and the fix is actually set up beforehand. Change is earned.
Counterpoint: The Little Mermaid.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
In the original show bible, it said that all Airbenders' children were Airbenders. There were no non-Airbending Air Nomads, even from mixed marriages. But Aang had three kids and only one was an Airbender, so I guess they ditched that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Counterpoint: The Little Mermaid.

Alright, fair.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MrAristocrates posted:

I think that's why it worked in Korea Book 1. It came at the end of her season long journey to awaken to and accept her spiritual side. It was a fitting and earned resolution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dj_clawson posted:

In the original show bible, it said that all Airbenders' children were Airbenders. There were no non-Airbending Air Nomads, even from mixed marriages. But Aang had three kids and only one was an Airbender, so I guess they ditched that.

Maybe because he's the Avatars if muddled the spiritual genetics of it all?

Either that of Watercest is secretly canon.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

dj_clawson posted:

On the other hand, all Tenzin's kids are Airbenders. Maybe they meant that Airbenders with Airbenders or Airbenders with nonbenders would only produce Airbenders?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think that's why it worked in Korea Book 1. It came at the end of her season long journey to awaken to and accept her spiritual side. It was a fitting and earned resolution.

Ahahahaha

PriorMarcus posted:

Either that of Watercest is secretly canon.

STOP IT

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

DrSunshine posted:

On the other hand, all Tenzin's kids are Airbenders. Maybe they meant that Airbenders with Airbenders or Airbenders with nonbenders would only produce Airbenders?

My theory was that Aang was different from other Airbenders, being the Avatar, to the writers loosened the rules for him, but not for Tenzin. But if the rule applies, then there are no Airbender descendents.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

dj_clawson posted:

I thought that tied into the heavily-spiritual Air Nomad culture, and that if that culture was disrupted, that trait wouldn't necessarily be passed on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This thread will be re-opened when the next episode airs on TV.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some people just don't know how to take a joke.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You can't say that without posting the PMs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just assume they were on the same level as someone tweeting Obama about a Spider-Man story they didn't like and you probably can get the idea

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Knock it off. Let the Korra thread go back to its regular business please.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This season is okay to me, because the bar has been lowered so much by the last season, but it does feel like the show is being very defensive by choosing not to add any element of character development (nor major romance, thank heavens) for Team Avatar. Mako and Asami are almost extras at this point, and Opal feels a little like Asami 2.0.

It's good they've realized that the characters were kind of awful, and that they need to draw a little on the old show as well. However, at the end of the season, I wonder whether we'll see any character growth at all, though.

I guess the audience will live vicariously through Lin instead, which is not the worst trade-off, especially since she's voiced by Azula's voice actress. :3:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: not as funny as I thought

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

p ironic how humorless Korra fans are when their show is one giant joke. makes u think...

Deadpool posted:

Knock it off. Let the Korra thread go back to its regular business please.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ufarn posted:

This season is okay to me, because the bar has been lowered so much by the last season, but it does feel like the show is being very defensive by choosing not to add any element of character development (nor major romance, thank heavens) for Team Avatar. Mako and Asami are almost extras at this point, and Opal feels a little like Asami 2.0.

I was going to say that Mako and Bolin feel like they've matured somewhat, but that might just be by virtue of being better written than the last two seasons. Haha.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Ed: not as funny as I thought

Shouldn't you be watching Doctor Who?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just a note, I know it's hard for some of you but let's try to make sure the thread doesn't turn into a massive pile of poo poo again ok?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Deadpool posted:

Just a note, I know it's hard for some of you but let's try to make sure the thread doesn't turn into a massive pile of poo poo again ok?

But Dadpool!

Real talk, though, that was a drat funny close.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
When is the estimated release date for the Korra game? Is it only on consoles or will it be on Steam too?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Is it only on consoles or will it be on Steam too?
"being published by Activision as a download-only title for PC and consoles" according to one article. Also there is a turn-based strategy game coming out for the 3DS.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alright here's my last word on this. So pay attention. You guys can have your thread about this show but absolutely no more creepy poo poo like what was going on the last few pages. This is a cartoon for kids. If you're into that kind of creepy poo poo I'm there are a ton of other websites you'll find to your liking. If you even think of bringing in any other outside creepy fan poo poo about this show, even to mock it, then this show will join another cartoon that shall not be named in being thrown out of TVIV. And before any of you get any bright ideas, anyone that does so with the intention of getting the thread thrown out (because I just know someone out there is reading and will try it) will instead find themselves getting thrown out.

How hard is it to not talk about weird creepy poo poo? Let's find out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

When is the estimated release date for the Korra game? Is it only on consoles or will it be on Steam too?

'Coming this fall' is all we have as far as a release date goes right now.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

ufarn posted:

It's good they've realized that the characters were kind of awful, and that they need to draw a little on the old show as well. However, at the end of the season, I wonder whether we'll see any character growth at all, though.

I guess the audience will live vicariously through Lin instead, which is not the worst trade-off, especially since she's voiced by Azula's voice actress. :3:

I think they've set up for some solid Bolin character development. They've shown Korra has developed as a character already. I do like that they kind of kicked the focus on Mako and Asami to the curb because they're both pretty boring. It would've been cool if they did something with Asami though. I don't hate her; she just doesn't have a personality.

I also thought it was good that they focused a bit more on developing characters like Tenzin and Lin though. It's probably hard juggling a core cast that's so much larger than A:TLA's.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AshB posted:

I think they've set up for some solid Bolin character development. They've shown Korra has developed as a character already. I do like that they kind of kicked the focus on Mako and Asami to the curb because they're both pretty boring. It would've been cool if they did something with Asami though. I don't hate her; she just doesn't have a personality.
Asami is why we have Varrick, which is why she has any value at all to the series beyond the handful of scenes we got with her and Korra at the beginning of this season.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ufarn posted:

I think you mean Ming-Hua, Lin is voiced by Mindy Sterling.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

The problem with Asami is that her entire character has revolved around other characters. She was introduced as Mako's new girlfriend and then as a jilted ex. They tried to give her new character by making her head of Sato Industries, but then she ended up simply being a foil for Varrick's plots/mania and falling to the wayside. I like that they've shown her to have matured as a character, but I honestly can't see anything coming from her unless she has some major development.

In the original Team Avatar, Sokka was both a source of one-off comedic jokes and incidental plot development (Aang having to find medicine, Aang getting over his fear of Earthbending, etc). It was only later that he developed his niche as an ingenious tactician. If Asami's love woes is to Sokka's slapstick comedy, then taking that away from Asami has left her with nothing and it shows.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AshB posted:

I also thought it was good that they focused a bit more on developing characters like Tenzin and Lin though. It's probably hard juggling a core cast that's so much larger than A:TLA's.

Yeah, some of the best characters had both strong distinguishing characteristics, but also evolved over time as they grew up and matured. Aang was the playful, innocent pacifist, but had to learn to take responsibility and face his problems head-on instead of running away. Zuko was an angry, angsty teen who had major daddy issues and desperately sought approval, but had to learn to develop a moral center for himself.

Still, I think there's some complexity to the characters that we tend to overlook. Like, we all know that Mako is the responsible, serious, Mr. Mom type figure... he's had to take care of Bolin ever since they were little. This on its own might come off as a little boring, but it also explains why he behaves the way he does and why the plot's progressed this way. With how carefree and irresponsible Bolin can be, Mako probably grew up thinking he's the only one who can protect his little brother. I think this is why he came off as such a jerk initially: Mako's so used to taking charge and getting poo poo done on his own that he ultimately doesn't trust anyone else to help him with anything. He doesn't like letting go of control in dire situations.

It's why he initially didn't trust Korra when she wanted to join their team, why he wanted to go off and search for Bolin on his own when the Equalists kidnapped him, etc. It may also explain why Mako felt like he was getting more and more distant from the others this season. With Korra stepping up and taking charge as the Avatar, Asami dealing with Future Industries on her own, and Bolin's material needs being met by living at Air Temple Island, Mako probably doesn't know what to do. Mako never had the time to build a group of friends, and for most of his life he only knew how to relate to his closest companion in a top-down fashion. Suddenly with a group of friends helping each other out he's trying to figure out where the hell he fits in.

So yeah, thinking about it... Mako does have some character development, in the sense that he's gradually learning to let go, trust others he has to work with, and juggle more relationships than he's used to. It's subtle, but it's there.

Asami is a bit harder to figure out. I'll have to look her over some more later.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Pancreas posted:

In the original Team Avatar, Sokka was both a source of one-off comedic jokes and incidental plot development (Aang having to find medicine, Aang getting over his fear of Earthbending, etc). It was only later that he developed his niche as an ingenious tactician.

Well there were glimmers of Sokka's keen intellect early on. In Book 1 it became apparent that he was a skilled tracker and knew how to reconstruct a battle scene, and he also was a staunch rationalist who didn't care much for mysticism, whether it was fortunetelling or even bending. He's always been very sharp yet down to earth.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe the writers are just setting Mako up for some Real Talk from Lin telling him to get the stick out of his rear end and carpe diem and stuff, and not become the same bitter old person Lin is/was, etc. etc.

I mean, I don't mind that they've taken the steps right outside of killing off Mako, since he's an awful love interest; at least Bolin might get to come into his own without being tied to Mako.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bloody Pancreas posted:

In the original Team Avatar, Sokka was both a source of one-off comedic jokes and incidental plot development (Aang having to find medicine, Aang getting over his fear of Earthbending, etc). It was only later that he developed his niche as an ingenious tactician.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Well there were glimmers of Sokka's keen intellect early on. In Book 1 it became apparent that he was a skilled tracker and knew how to reconstruct a battle scene, and he also was a staunch rationalist who didn't care much for mysticism, whether it was fortunetelling or even bending. He's always been very sharp yet down to earth.

And he also helped to develop the war balloons in season 1 at the Northern Air Temple. So his ingenious tactician side was already showing pretty early on. Or, his ingenious engineering side, at least.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 28, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually rewatching Book 1 of Korra now. Is it just me, or would a Pro-Bending console game be kinda awesome?

I've never liked sports games but man, that'd be kinda sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I imagine they're already making one. It's perhaps the only form of bending in the cartoon that is easy to faithfully reproduce in a video game. There is a limited range of moves, and the earthbenders cannot rip up the terrain.

• Locked thread