Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have read all the collected Batman hardbacks out. I started buying individual issues when Year Zero started. I wasn't high on Year Zero to start with but the slow build to "I am Legend" Gotham City was awesome. I really loving enjoyed Year Zero and I plan on continuing to buy Batman as it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been holding out on starting Zero Year until the first trade comes out in paperback. So far I've only seen it in hardback and I'd rather keep all my Batman trades the same. Yeah, I have some weird preferences.

Are there any other current Batman or Bat Family books worth keeping up with? I've been collecting and enjoying Batman, Batgirl and Batman '66 so far, as well as picking up the first issue of Grayson, and my partner collects Harley Quinn. Oh, and Li'l Gotham, which is adorable. She's interested in Catwoman, but we've heard that some of the storylines were...problematic. I've been curious about Batman Inc., Batman & ?, Red Hood & the Outlaws and Birds of Prey. Also, is Legends of the Dark Knight as good as it was pre-New 52?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hold off on Catwoman till the new creative team in October. It might turn out well. Get her Batwoman instead in the mean time :)
http://www.amazon.com/Batwoman-Elegy-Greg-Rucka/dp/1401231462/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406323484&sr=8-1&keywords=batwoman+elegy

Batman Inc was great and Batman and ____ is great, but you're gonna have to read Grant Morrison's work to get there. It's some doing, but well worth your time.

Trades you need: The Black Glove Deluxe Edition (Deluxe because it combines two earlier trades), Batman RIP, Time and the Batman, Batman and Robin (Morrison Version) 1-3, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Incorporated (pre-n52), Batman Incorporated (N52) 1-2 and Batman and Robin (Tomasi version) 1-3 read together, then vol 4.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 25, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hold off on Catwoman till the new creative team in October. It might turn out well. Get her Batwoman instead in the mean time :)
http://www.amazon.com/Batwoman-Elegy-Greg-Rucka/dp/1401231462/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406323484&sr=8-1&keywords=batwoman+elegy

Batman Inc was great and Batman and ____ is great, but you're gonna have to read Grant Morrison's work to get there. It's some work, but well worth your time.

Trades you need: Deluxe Son of Batman, Batman RIP, Time and the Batman, Batman and Robin (Morrison Version) 1-3, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Incorporated (pre-n52), Batman Incorporated (N52) 1-3 and Batman and Robin (Tomasi version) 1-3 read together, then vol 4.

Do you run a script that goes off with a loud alarm in your house everyone asks any permutation of the question of 'what Batman should I read'?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grant Morrison gives me a commission.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Batman & Robin is definitely something I'd recommend if you're interested in the family dynamic of Batman's team, particularly with him, Damian and Alfred as the center. I include Alfred because his presence in this series is terribly underrated. I also recommend Batman Beyond Universe, if you ever watched the animated show that its based off of.

As for Catwoman, the current run hasn't been very good. It'll be getting yet another team of writers, which will jump into Batman Eternal's timeline with placing her as one of the leading mob bosses of Gotham. That only begins in October. I suggest Brubaker's run on Catwoman from pre-new 52, which is now in newly released trades or available on comixology.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Do not read (current) Catwoman. Do not read Red Hood & The Outlaws. Even if someone put a gun to your head there are better things to do than read Red Hood.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

Grant Morrison gives me a commission.

Not saying you're bad, I'm just amazed because I think Dark Titsanime is the only person I've ever seen beat you - once - to reply to that. And of course you like Grant Morrison too much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've been holding out on starting Zero Year until the first trade comes out in paperback. So far I've only seen it in hardback and I'd rather keep all my Batman trades the same. Yeah, I have some weird preferences.

Are there any other current Batman or Bat Family books worth keeping up with? I've been collecting and enjoying Batman, Batgirl and Batman '66 so far, as well as picking up the first issue of Grayson, and my partner collects Harley Quinn. Oh, and Li'l Gotham, which is adorable. She's interested in Catwoman, but we've heard that some of the storylines were...problematic. I've been curious about Batman Inc., Batman & ?, Red Hood & the Outlaws and Birds of Prey. Also, is Legends of the Dark Knight as good as it was pre-New 52?

Red Hood is pretty drat fun, I have a thread about it where I give a overview of it. Give it a glance and see if catches your attention.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Waterhaul posted:

Do not read (current) Catwoman. Do not read Red Hood & The Outlaws. Even if someone put a gun to your head there are better things to do than read Red Hood.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Red Hood is pretty drat fun, I have a thread about it where I give a overview of it. Give it a glance and see if catches your attention.

Listen to the mod, Dark_Tzitzimine is the Mara lurking in the branches of the Bat Bhodi.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Listen to the mod, Dark_Tzitzimine is the Mara lurking in the branches of the Bat Bhodi.

Next time I change AV, I'm gonna use this as title. It made me laugh pretty hard :haw:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing you need to know about DT's recommendations is that he used to have a Red Hood based avatar about how much of a creepy weirdo with bad taste he is about that book, that was then replaced with his current one because he was even MORE of a creepy weirdo with bad taste over in games.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

TheJoker138 posted:

The only thing you need to know about DT's recommendations is that he used to have a Red Hood based avatar about how much of a creepy weirdo with bad taste he is about that book, that was then replaced with his current one because he was even MORE of a creepy weirdo with bad taste over in games.

He bought the current one himself.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He has little shame and even less self awareness, but that's not really a matter for BSS.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I feel bad for not pitching in with recommendations, but you're already reading the books I like, and some I don't. I really dislike Batman And, because it's furiously unsubtle and full of schlock fanservice that could power all the Tumblr engines at once. I wouldn't recommend Inc, either, and see, this all makes me look like I hate comics. it's just that you're already doing the good ones :)

I can't wait for Batgirl of Burnside.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Was Taters posted:

He bought the current one himself.

:vince:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Just picked up Batman '66 #13 and oh my god its loving amazing. I love how corny it is and I'm gonna be picking it up from now on.

Its the only Batman book that interests me right now.

I am, however, reading th TBP of Batwoman and Batgirl. Batgirl to see how Barbara comes back into the cowl, and Batwoman because the art is fantastic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cabinet posted:

Its the only Batman book that interests me right now.

With your avatar, you should check out Batmanga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://youtu.be/vx4xpzvwRzo?t=5m59s

Brave and the Bold was great.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 27, 2014

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is it any good? I remember a friend got me some "Batman, but manga" like four years ago and it was trash.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If it was Chip Kidd Presents... Batmanga, then it's the same thing, only released digitally and without the Chip Kidd trade dress.

There have been other Batmangas, but they're obscure and out of print. They're totally trash though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cabinet posted:

I remember a friend got me some "Batman, but manga" like four years ago and it was trash.
Was that Batman: Child of Dreams?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

redbackground posted:

Was that Batman: Child of Dreams?

Nope. Death Mask. I /was/ going to read Child of Dreams at one point but I never got around to it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I forgot that Brave and the Bold is responsible for me living in a world where Scooby-Doo, Batman, and Weird Al have teamed up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Again, thanks for the recommendations.

Has anyone else read Grayson #1? I picked it up for the hell of it the other day and, while I did like it and realize it's only the first issue, I found it more than a bit confusing. You can spoiler it if need be, but what led up to Dick going in this direction story-wise?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Has anyone else read Grayson #1? I picked it up for the hell of it the other day and, while I did like it and realize it's only the first issue, I found it more than a bit confusing. You can spoiler it if need be, but what led up to Dick going in this direction story-wise?

Plot-wise, there isn't a real motive for Dick to become a secret agent. It was something that DC threw together out of thin air to give validation to Dick's 'death' on Forever Evil.

If you want to know more about what the hell is Spiral you'll need to read Batman Incorporated (pre N52) and Batman Inc. (N52) since they were introduced and have a major role there.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If you want to know more about what the hell is Spiral you'll need to read Batman Incorporated (pre N52) and Batman Inc. (N52) since they were introduced and have a major role there.

No, you don't. All you need to know is that Spyral is simply another super-secret spy organisation analogous to S.H.I.E.L.D., S.H.A.D.E., Checkmate, etc., etc., ad nauseam, etc..

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wachter posted:

No, you don't. All you need to know is that Spyral is simply another super-secret spy organisation analogous to S.H.I.E.L.D., S.H.A.D.E., Checkmate, etc., etc., ad nauseam, etc..

Is still recommendable to read it because Seeley's taking over a lot of Morrison's ideas and expanding them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

During the Forever Evil event, Dick's secret identity was revealed to the world at large. Then his death was faked. Dick can't really go back to being Nightwing just now - the blown identity makes it a little too dangerous - and Batman asked him to join Spyral in an attempt to figure out what the hell is going on with them.

(this is something of a stretch, but so be it; it's less a stretch than some we've seen out of DC)

Spyral is a Sooper-Secret Spy Organization. Who they answer to, what their aims are, and the like have not been revealed at this time. They featured in Morrison's Batman, Incorporated but all you need to know is 'secret agents, international scope, mysterious.'

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Grayson writers started in Nightwing #30, which has all of the set-up. It's really Grayson #0. Pick that up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just reread batman: going sane about the Joker trying to lead a normal life after killing Batman and I forgot how sad the whole story is. I really recommend it for fans of the Joker and Batman and as luck has it it's part of the big Comixology sale.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Madkal posted:

Just reread batman: going sane about the Joker trying to lead a normal life after killing Batman and I forgot how sad the whole story is. I really recommend it for fans of the Joker and Batman and as luck has it it's part of the big Comixology sale.

I was really curious about that one. I hadn't seen anyone mention it as a recommendation here, so I was apprehensive about getting it.

Stupid Question: Is the organization called Spyral because the head honcho's face is all swirly?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Grayson writers started in Nightwing #30, which has all of the set-up. It's really Grayson #0. Pick that up.

Ugh, don't bother. Here's the plot of #30: Bruce loves Dick SOOO Much that he beats the poo poo out of him for the 2nd time in 30 issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
drat you comixology and not having any of the original Ra's al Ghul storyline :argh:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Was Taters posted:

Ugh, don't bother. Here's the plot of #30: Bruce loves Dick SOOO Much that he beats the poo poo out of him for the 2nd time in 30 issues.

That sounds terrible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trast posted:

That sounds terrible.

Nightwing 30 was broke on three segments: the introductory one where Helena and Spiral are introduced, told by Leslie Thompkins (it wouldn't be out of place on Batman Inc. to be honest) The middle segment where Bruce and Dick fight and the closing segment that shows Dick's recruitment by Spiral.

Seeley wrote the first and the third segment while King wrote the middle one.

All in all, is a solid issue but King's segment is certainly the weakest of the bunch.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Why did Bruce and Dick fight each other?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trast posted:

Why did Bruce and Dick fight each other?

Bruce was 'testing' Dick's determination and will after the Forever Evil fiasco. Quite melodramatic and with some odd dialogue (Bruce calling Dick 'my boy' for example)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
I am laughing like a loving child just cutting these sentences short in my head

"Bruce was 'testing' dick's determination"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Was Taters posted:

Here's the plot of #30: Bruce loves Dick SOOO Much.

• Locked thread