Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Ashrik posted:

I also like the whole HottyMcCop vs the DogShooter dynamic. Like he's some armed, tobacco-chewing version of The Cableguy, who is miffed that the chief didn't want to hang out and drink yingers.

This is a fantastic analysis of the dog shooter. When Garvey said "You don't even live here!"in the curfew meeting it made me think of a scene from Mean Girls and I chuckled pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is a fantastic analysis of the dog shooter. When Garvey said "You don't even live here!"in the curfew meeting it made me think of a scene from Mean Girls and I chuckled pretty hard.

It's pretty great that everyone else in town seems to already know Dean and Kevin's just completely caught off guard.

"Can I have my gun back, now? It don't shoot rocks."

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 28, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Considering the ATF has been appended to deal with cults and what was supposed to be a murder investigation just resulted in a quickly burned body (along with what appeared to be many other cult bodies) and what happened at Wayne's compound, I'm gonna guess the phone call was real.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I didn't hear a voice change on the phone and the change in caller ID seems more likely to be a slip-up than not. Given how obvious the initial scene showing it was. What I did hear, and like, was the sound/music being played in the background as the man casually suggested exterminating the GR group. It reminded me of the sound that old CRT TV's used to make when you turned them on. I guess they ran out of dutch angles.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 28, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

Considering the ATF has been appended to deal with cults and what was supposed to be a murder investigation just resulted in a quickly burned body (along with what appeared to be many other cult bodies) and what happened at Wayne's compound, I'm gonna guess the phone call was real.
Yeah this was my line of thinking as well. Anyone know what those stickers they were putting on the body boxes were/said?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Yeah this was my line of thinking as well. Anyone know what those stickers they were putting on the body boxes were/said?

The first box shown and opened had a large NOK notice put on it. The 2nd one was red and seemed like it said GR, but I didn't get a good look. Seemed like a "investigate and notify next of kin" versus "toss out in the trash" kind of tag thing

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I thought the voice definitely changed. Will have to rewatch the episode and pay more attention that and the shirt thing. My problem with him just getting random shirts is wouldn't he notice when he got home and looked at them? What are the odds they are even his size?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dantu posted:

I thought the voice definitely changed. Will have to rewatch the episode and pay more attention that and the shirt thing. My problem with him just getting random shirts is wouldn't he notice when he got home and looked at them? What are the odds they are even his size?

You do what you gotta do to get the Angry Armed Drunk Man out of your store. Who the gently caress cares if he figures it out in an hour?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Erm, aren't we meant to believe that the crashed truck transporting all the bodies in the earlier episode is connected to the ATF's "exterminations"? I don't see why people seem to think the call was a hallucination given that and then the scene at the end.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brett824 posted:

Erm, aren't we meant to believe that the crashed truck transporting all the bodies in the earlier episode is connected to the ATF's "exterminations"?

No. Those were fake bodies of people who got raptured. There was a TV commercial for them in the Priest episode.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Brett824 posted:

Erm, aren't we meant to believe that the crashed truck transporting all the bodies in the earlier episode is connected to the ATF's "exterminations"? I don't see why people seem to think the call was a hallucination given that and then the scene at the end.

The bodies in the crashed truck were realistic mannequins people were getting made of their vanished family so they could have a 'real' funeral for them.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Those weren't bodies on the crashed truck; they were realistic dolls meant to stand in for vanished people for funerals and memorials. (EFB.)

I do think you're right that the scene at the end (and maybe a few other scenes) means the call probably isn't a hallucination and probably isn't meant to even be a fake-out of one. Caller ID thing (didn't catch both parts of it myself) could be a continuity error or--very unlikely here since it's not explained--call waiting caller ID for a second caller.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Ugh I'm done watching this show. It's boring as poo poo and every single character is unlikable.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Rapsey posted:

Ugh I'm done watching this show. It's boring as poo poo and every single character is unlikable.

Ok

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rapsey posted:

I am very glad you posted here to tell me this.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Rapsey posted:

Cool post

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

LmaoTheKid posted:

I am very glad you posted here to tell me this.

I am. gently caress this show.

Okay...so I gave it the old 5 episode try to see what critics were raving about, but apparently they judge a shows quality based solely on how many people weep onscreen, because I just don't see it.

First of all, who am I supposed to root for? Who am I supposed to identify with?

Justin Theroux's character is just an angry bully. He's nothing but a walking powder keg, and that's just exhausting.

Amy Brenneman is a quivering ball of pure, unrelenting crazy. No clue whatsoever is given for her motivations or thought process, she just keeps doubling down on the GR screed for absolutely no discernible reason.

Their daughter is just a lovely, nihilistic teenage fuckwit.

Their son is on an ill-conceived roadtrip with a cult leaders baby mama, even though he has no character-driven reason for being there.

Am I supposed to sympathize with the Guilty Remnant? Okay then! I'm going to go find people who lost family members in a plane crash and try to guilt them about searching for closure, because people don't deserve to move on with their lives (/sarcasm).

I'm not on the side of any of the characters; the show has done nothing to service the central mystery or mythology of the world and doesn't look like it's going to start. So what are the stakes exactly, and why should I care? What is there for me to sink my teeth into other than misery tourism? So far, this show has been nothing but "The Everybody Feel Bad Hour! Brought to you by Poor Coping Mechanisms".

So gently caress it. I'm just going to read up on the book and find out what happens.

Aaaand it turns out the book never actually explains what happened to the people who disappeared. It's about everyone just feeling lovely and coping with loss. With the amount of time I invested watching 5 episodes of this series, I could have just watched "The Big Chill" again and then baked a cake. Which begs the question: why are these characters orbiting a big, strange supernatural mystery? The event could have just as easily been a train crash, and there would have been a satisfying conclusion. Now I see why this story attracted Damon Lindelof though; interesting premise, compelling mystery, 0% chance of gratiying payoff in the end.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 28, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rapsey posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I'll sure miss your contributions to this thread.

I think the voice on the phone definitely got sinister near the end but it was probably real. It seems like the cults are a big problem in this new world so it makes sense they would want squash them early.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bro you didn't open this tag. Where does the sarcasm start?

Also, I don't get why, if you hate the show, you need to read the book to "find out what happens"? What does it matter how it ends if you hate it?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kevin Garvey is not an angry bully. He is a man who has lost just as much as everyone else but he isn't sure how to feel because he didn't lose them to some mysterious force, at least not directly. His wife has up and left him to join a cult, leaving him alone to take care of a teenager who no longer cares about the future because hey I could up and randomly vanish one day so why even try? His son hardly talks to him and his dad has so much poo poo on his plate that he isn't sure how to go about correcting the wrongs in the relationship. Not to mention he has a constant thought hanging over his head about rather or not he is going to lose his mind like everyone believes his father did. He is filling the shoes of a man who the entire community believes to be a nut case. The entire situation is a powder keg but everyone is so caught up in mourning they don't realize that they are all holding a match to said keg. Garvey doesn't want answers he just wants his family back and the longer he goes on the more he realizes that it's probably not going to work out the way he wants it to.

Judging his wife because her motives aren't clear is like complaining that they haven't explained every single secret in Lost by the fifth episode. At it's core this show is a character drama, at least so far it seems that way. No one has answers including you the viewer. If I were to guess I'd say that there was some sort of abuse between Garvey and his wife which led to her leaving but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Their daughter is exactly what every girl her age is. Expecting a teenage girl to have a good head on her shoulders after watching literally millions of people vanish has to be the dumbest thing you've said. Not to mention she has watched her own mother abandon her and her father completely shut down due to his family pretty much up and leaving him when things got tough.

I'm still not sure what his son is up to but I'd imagine we are going to learn a lot more about his situation as time goes on.

If you can't identify with the family issues on the show then I don't know what to tell you.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Toshimo posted:

You do what you gotta do to get the Angry Armed Drunk Man out of your store. Who the gently caress cares if he figures it out in an hour?

From the dry cleaner's point of view, yeah I agree with you. I was talking about from Chief's point of view. He took the toaster apart to make sure his bagel didn't get raptured and was relieved when he found it. Presumably, he'll realize those aren't his shirts very soon when he goes to wear one and then be freaking out again.

On the other hand if they really were his shirts, why was the dry cleaner loving with him?

Either way, it just doesn't make sense.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dantu posted:

On the other hand if they really were his shirts, why was the dry cleaner loving with him?

The script said he should.

Seriously if the next episode doesn't start with him realizing it's not his shirt this might be the dumbest conflict the show has pulled yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tomahawk posted:

Yeah I don't think there's anything to take from that scene other than the ATF (now ATFEC) is basically the government's response to having so many goddamn cults pop up. There was a news report of it at the start of the episode before Kevin turns the TV down, where it seemed like any other news report of another run of the mill ATFEC raid on generic rapture cult #4832. And basically the thing that cults just pop up left and right in response and most of those people are no longer basically classified as real people anymore.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dantu posted:

Either way, it just doesn't make sense.

Well, it seemed like he went and confronted the dry cleaner again because he was pissed off at getting poo poo on the rest of the day and just wanted to stand up to someone and win for a change. By the time he actually got the shirts and walked out you could tell he was instantly starting to regret his behavior so I doubt he would have been like "oh these actually aren't mine", at that point he just wanted to back away after what he had done. It was superficially similar to the bagel thing but had a very different point.

As far as if they were his shirts: the dry cleaner was dismissive of him from the beginning, I wouldn't say he was intentionally loving with him but more that he was busy and blowing the guy off in the first encounter.

Xoidanor posted:

Seriously if the next episode doesn't start with him realizing it's not his shirt this might be the dumbest conflict the show has pulled yet.

I would prepare for disappointment. The point of that scene wasn't the mystery of the shirts it was the put-upon sheriff letting off steam against a lowly dry cleaner.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

Remember that it's allegedly been "months" since Matt was hit in the face with the rock and lost his church. And his group was wearing all black. I'm not ruling him out for the stoning TBH.
Yeah. Pretty much all signs are pointing his way (consider, e.g., that Matt's group gave him his alibi and that putting religious rivals to death is prescribed by the Old Testament). I'm just hoping that it's misdirection - our faith in Matt is being tested.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I was very pleased with that episode. Just weird enough.

Edit: Look's like next week's episode is a character focused episode on Nora. :getin:
Nora seems pretty awesome, hopefully it's just her being as big of a dick to people and getting away with it. Actually, I like her when she's across from Kevin, she seems to liven up a bunch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. Pretty much all signs are pointing his way (consider, e.g., that Matt's group gave him his alibi and that putting religious rivals to death is prescribed by the Old Testament). I'm just hoping that it's misdirection - our faith in Matt is being tested.

Also, since Matt believes they're "already dead", actually killing one member to scare or convince any other members to leave might be considered, by Matt, justified. He's convinced himself that killing them is meaningless.

Just a theory, no idea where they're heading with it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Kevin Garvey is not an angry bully. He is a man who has lost just as much as everyone else but he isn't sure how to feel because he didn't lose them to some mysterious force, at least not directly.

You know, except for the chick he was balls deep in AT THE MOMENT SHE GOT RAPTURED.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Kevin Garvey is not an angry bully. He is a man who has lost just as much as everyone else but he isn't sure how to feel because he didn't lose them to some mysterious force, at least not directly. His wife has up and left him to join a cult, leaving him alone to take care of a teenager who no longer cares about the future because hey I could up and randomly vanish one day so why even try? His son hardly talks to him and his dad has so much poo poo on his plate that he isn't sure how to go about correcting the wrongs in the relationship. Not to mention he has a constant thought hanging over his head about rather or not he is going to lose his mind like everyone believes his father did. He is filling the shoes of a man who the entire community believes to be a nut case. The entire situation is a powder keg but everyone is so caught up in mourning they don't realize that they are all holding a match to said keg. Garvey doesn't want answers he just wants his family back and the longer he goes on the more he realizes that it's probably not going to work out the way he wants it to.

Judging his wife because her motives aren't clear is like complaining that they haven't explained every single secret in Lost by the fifth episode. At it's core this show is a character drama, at least so far it seems that way. No one has answers including you the viewer. If I were to guess I'd say that there was some sort of abuse between Garvey and his wife which led to her leaving but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Their daughter is exactly what every girl her age is. Expecting a teenage girl to have a good head on her shoulders after watching literally millions of people vanish has to be the dumbest thing you've said. Not to mention she has watched her own mother abandon her and her father completely shut down due to his family pretty much up and leaving him when things got tough.

I'm still not sure what his son is up to but I'd imagine we are going to learn a lot more about his situation as time goes on.

If you can't identify with the family issues on the show then I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry, but the show's making me work too hard to reach those conclusions. Doing so would involve watching Kevin lash out blindly all the time; Jill be pointlessly self-destructive; and Laurie grow increasingly inscrutable and insane. Trying to delve into those characters is like repeatedly sticking a fork into a light socket.

Like I said before; the show doesn't service the central mystery of the plot, nor does it expand on the mythology of the world, and it does not give me a single character to root for or identify with. It has not thus far given me a single reason to care what happens between now and the end of the season; inf act all the Leftovers has done is repeatedly punish me for watching it.

So what I want YOU to tell ME, is that the show is not worth my time and that I should not watch it anymore.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

So what I want YOU to tell ME, is that the show is not worth my time and that I should not watch it anymore.
The show is not worth your time and you should not watch it anymore.

The show is worth my time and I am going to watch it.

There - not complicated.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 28, 2014

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Ersatz posted:

The show is not worth your time and you should not watch it anymore.

The show is worth my time and I am going to watch it.

There - not complicated.

Thank you.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Who am I supposed to identify with?

With the party Wizard or Magic User, its a first level spell.

So about the shirts, I could be wrong, but I think they had the MPD patches on them when he hung them up.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Zythrst posted:

With the party Wizard or Magic User, its a first level spell.

In 5th edition Identify is a ritual, so anyone can cast it if they have the ritual caster eat and material components.

The real question is who cast Plane Shift on 2% of the worlds' population?

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

Toshimo posted:

You know, except for the chick he was balls deep in AT THE MOMENT SHE GOT RAPTURED.
Was this actually spelled out or shown explicitly?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

This show is really good. Except for Liv Tyler.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah that was a really good episode and had a lot of interesting things going on. I was on the fence about watching the rest of the season after last episode but I'm pretty hooked now.

I like the short little fake-outs that others might have been raptured away after the initial event (like in the morgue when they first open the empty bed they thought the dead GR lady was on).

Not having any of the worst plot of the show - the Wayen/Asian girl/Garvey's son - certainly helped the episode a lot too. I wish they had just cut that whole part of the plot but I'll re-evaluated once we see it play out.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Kevin Garvey is not an angry bully.

He repeatedly uses his position of authority to demand special treatment and physically threatens others. He justifies this to himself because he believes that he is the good guy in every situation. I am not sure if we have seen him be a good guy in any circumstance. For instance, he is a complete shitheel of a customer at the dry cleaners and then comes back later to threaten the owner using his position to apparently steal other people's cloths. His behavior is very clearly due to his anger at the loss in his life. Regardless of how much sympathy a viewer might feel for him because they have more context for his behavior; imagine him from the POV of the dry cleaner. How about when he beat the poo poo out of that guy for daring to stop his drunken rampage trespassing?

tl;dr, he's an angry bully; also a drunk

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The guys voice does drop an octave during the phone call, but it's very clearly the same dude.

Sober posted:

Yeah I don't think there's anything to take from that scene other than the ATF (now ATFEC) is basically the government's response to having so many goddamn cults pop up. There was a news report of it at the start of the episode before Kevin turns the TV down, where it seemed like any other news report of another run of the mill ATFEC raid on generic rapture cult #4832. And basically the thing that cults just pop up left and right in response and most of those people are no longer basically classified as real people anymore.

I'm pretty sure all of the stuff going on with the guy hunting wild dogs is supposed to be illuminating Garvey's predicament with the GR. The prevailing sentiment is that they've gone rabid and should be put down, but that's hard to swallow when your wife is one of them.

I could be way off base, but every episode after the first has in some way advanced that conflict, so I suspect it's the centerpiece of this season's plot.

Edit:

Acinonyx posted:

tl;dr, he's an angry bully; also a drunk

This is really in the wrong order. He's generally only a bully while drunk.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 28, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wallet posted:

The guys voice does drop an octave during the phone call, but it's very clearly the same dude.

I'm pretty sure all of the stuff going on with the guy hunting wild dogs is supposed to be illuminating Garvey's predicament with the GR. The prevailing sentiment is that they've gone rabid and should be put down, but that's hard to swallow when your wife is one of them.

I think you're onto something. Also can we please cease all stupid speculation about the phone call with the ATF agent. Nothing about the tone of the show suggests that there is anything suspicious going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
What do you guys think of the man with the dogs that told Kevin "don't investigate the murder too closely"?

• Locked thread