Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

Almonds take a lot of water to grow and is therefore wasteful.

But Almonds are one of the healthiest snacks you can eat, how is that wasteful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

YLLS
This thread looks like poo poo.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I've been too busy to take shop pics.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Because once you use water to grow something, that water totally goes away and we're running out of water.

Water filters back into the ground at a (relatively) fixed rate. If you're pulling 5x out as much per season vs some other, less thirsty crop, it's gonna make the water table that much lower.

Not to mention the increased energy (and thus fossil fuel consumption) to pump the water, either out of a well or up a water tower, artesian wells notwithstanding.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Because once you use water to grow something, that water totally goes away and we're running out of water.

I'm hardly an enviro-hippy but basically yes.

We are in fact draining the oglalla aquifer many times faster than it is being replenished.

The midwest, specifically the upper midwest, is going to be in for a real rough time when it drains down to the point that you can't feasibly reach it with wells. By that I mean the breadbasket of the US will basically cease to be wet enough for modern farming.

Everything fed by the Colorado and Rio Grande rivers is going to basically dry up, too. Lake Meade is dropping by tens of feet per year with no end in sight, neither of these formerly great rivers even reaches the ocean anymore. So socal, arizona, nevada, new mexico, some of texas, (etc) can basically kiss their agriculture and green lawns goodbye.

Sure, it's water and the water cycle will bring it back eventually... but it takes time. More time than we give it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ultimateforce posted:

I don't have a spotter so my bench is laughable, but I can do a comfortable 5x5 set of 30lb. curls.

Nobody cares about what you bench and I mean that in an encouraging way. Lift what you can and give no fucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Sure, it's water and the water cycle will bring it back eventually... but it takes time. More time than we give it.

The solution is nuclear-powered desalination plants and I am being 100% serious.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

MrChips posted:

Nobody cares about what you bench and I mean that in an encouraging way. Lift what you can and give no fucks.

This right here. Goons want to guzzle homo milk (3.5%) from Mark Rippetoe's loins, but you can still get impressive gains without following starting strength or 5x5 or whatever the gently caress. I started out struggling to do 5 reps of a bar, so I benched the babby dumbbells at higher reps until I felt safe pushing myself. I tried all the different programs people sperged over and I found that going to the gym, warming up for 15 minutes however the gently caress you want and then building up to 5 working sets of 10 reps to be a simple, time efficient and effective plan. Try something like this:

Sunday/Monday - incline bench
Tuesday - squats
Wednesday - chin-ups
Friday - deadlifts

Your numbers should look something like 10-10-10-8-7 and once you can hit 5 sets of 10 its time to up the weight. You'll be in and out of the gym in 45 minutes and you'll hit all the major muscle groups while having enough time to rest.

Source: I used to be in the op of the transformations thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

The solution is nuclear-powered desalination plants and I am being 100% serious.

I actually like nuclear energy. I mean, it has its downsides and risks, but given it or coal+fracking for gas+strip mining alberta for oil sand... I will take nuclear every day. Fusion can't get here fast enough, either.

e: we should probably take this to the chat thread unless UF wants to weigh in on the subject.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Nuclear all day, son. It'd be cool if we could all use solar power or wind or hydro, but until that happens you gotta pick something that is lovely but works.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

I'm hardly an enviro-hippy but basically yes.

We are in fact draining the oglalla aquifer many times faster than it is being replenished.

The midwest, specifically the upper midwest, is going to be in for a real rough time when it drains down to the point that you can't feasibly reach it with wells. By that I mean the breadbasket of the US will basically cease to be wet enough for modern farming.

Everything fed by the Colorado and Rio Grande rivers is going to basically dry up, too. Lake Meade is dropping by tens of feet per year with no end in sight, neither of these formerly great rivers even reaches the ocean anymore. So socal, arizona, nevada, new mexico, some of texas, (etc) can basically kiss their agriculture and green lawns goodbye.

Just like the "we'll run out of oil by the year 2000" in the 1970s. However, as the demand increases, the cost increases and the cost to acquire becomes less. We'll just start chopping up glaciers and towing them to docks. I'm joking, don't get an enviro-hardon.

However, I think we should make crops using 1% of the water it takes to grow it in the ground. I hate corporate propaganda, but if this is only partially true, it's is game-changing: http://www.gereports.com/post/91250246340/lettuce-see-the-future-japanese-farmer-builds

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TWSS posted:

This right here. Goons want to guzzle homo milk (3.5%) from Mark Rippetoe's loins, but you can still get impressive gains without following starting strength or 5x5 or whatever the gently caress. I started out struggling to do 5 reps of a bar, so I benched the babby dumbbells at higher reps until I felt safe pushing myself. I tried all the different programs people sperged over and I found that going to the gym, warming up for 15 minutes however the gently caress you want and then building up to 5 working sets of 10 reps to be a simple, time efficient and effective plan. Try something like this:

Sunday/Monday - incline bench
Tuesday - squats
Wednesday - chin-ups
Friday - deadlifts

Your numbers should look something like 10-10-10-8-7 and once you can hit 5 sets of 10 its time to up the weight. You'll be in and out of the gym in 45 minutes and you'll hit all the major muscle groups while having enough time to rest.

Source: I used to be in the op of the transformations thread.

What's wrong with 5x5 as a starting lifter? There is a nice app to make everything super easy and it's pretty quick to do. I did well on it before moving on.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I guess we can give up on making this thread about car stuff. 5x5 is great, I did it for the better part of a year, but the reason I suggested a higher volume routine was solely to make it easier for UF to push himself without a spotter. I don't like talking to people I don't know in real life, so I feel a lot more comfortable failing reps and shimmying the bar down my torso (another reason I like incline bench more than flat) when it's 50 pounds lighter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense :) Gotcha.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just read an article about how Almond Milk being bad for the environment is horse poo poo.

Maybe bad for California's water shortage but that's about it. Crops need water, news at eleven!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

VQ35DE swapped S14 rolled by and needed the factory header clearanced.

I'll be making headers at some point for this car in the future.

A S15 front swap using the factory RB25DET clutch fan. This was a challenge because the customer's aero fit TERRIBLE.

Some pictures of welding stuff I need for a project I am working on.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

I'd have a hard time choking down that much plant protein, but to each his own.

Oh, I could help you with your protein needs :sissies:

ultimateforce posted:

VQ35DE swapped S14 rolled by and needed the factory header clearanced.

Looks pretty clean. Always nice to see modified cars without "panty dropper" or "jdm as gently caress" going up the windshield.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm stealing this idea, very clever.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

If you want to go biking in Orlando this is a good route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/28....6!1m0!3e1?hl=en

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Just like the "we'll run out of oil by the year 2000" in the 1970s. However, as the demand increases, the cost increases and the cost to acquire becomes less. We'll just start chopping up glaciers and towing them to docks. I'm joking, don't get an enviro-hardon.

However, I think we should make crops using 1% of the water it takes to grow it in the ground. I hate corporate propaganda, but if this is only partially true, it's is game-changing: http://www.gereports.com/post/91250246340/lettuce-see-the-future-japanese-farmer-builds

The problem with this viewpoint is that the calculus used to determine these costs fails to take into account the environmental damage done. How do you quantify the cost of undiscovered plants and animal species that have gone extinct in the Amazon due to clearcut deforestation? For example, as the EROI on petrochemical sources of energy falls as is the case with tar sands, more and more energy is devoted to simply getting the poo poo out of the ground. We may never run out of oil completely but when the stuff that's left is so hard to get to that it's under a 1 ratio then we really start running into problems. IIRC even a ratio 5:1 or 10:1 for all soruces starts being really problematic for the production of food and industrial goods since energy costs are the largest input in both sectors of economy. This doesn't even account for all the other products that are made out of petrochemicals. Currently these costs are being externalized to the global south and future generations since capitalism simply does not have the foresight to deal with these problems. It's the tragedy of the commons writ on a global scale.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Oh, I could help you with your protein needs :sissies:

That's disgusting.

Pm me :ssh:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Good run while it lasted. Got laid off from Raw Brokerage this morning when I came in.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bummer dude, especially with the website work you were doing. I'd probably have billed that out alone at 10k+

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
drat that's lovely. I hope you find a job where your employer appreciates you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ultimateforce posted:

Good run while it lasted. Got laid off from Raw Brokerage this morning when I came in.

God drat it. Sorry, UF. :(

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Laid off as in they weren't getting the business? It seemed that you kept plenty busy. So when do you ship off to an oil rig or something and start making bonkers money?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That sucks, dude. Sorry.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh FFS

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

Laid off as in they weren't getting the business? It seemed that you kept plenty busy. So when do you ship off to an oil rig or something and start making bonkers money?

I have manifolds lined up ready to go out the door. We banked too much on Skyline owners for fabrication. Turns out they are as cheap as 240 owners.

Edit: I saw this coming and just finished a line of way cheaper KA and SR manifolds, but we don't have the capital to keep going.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 28, 2014

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
bankruptcy and re-rename and re-org.
It's the American way for small businesses.
It's at least what kept the website chop shop going that I worked for at one point.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That blows, UF. I hope you're able to find something better quickly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that sucks. Sorry dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. That really blows.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress man, condolences. :(

I've gotten laid off from a shop that was struggling with cash too, at least they had the decency to tell you in the morning rather than at the end of the day.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
That's real lovely dude!
From our point of view it seems you were on the up and up. Hopefully your new employer will be better!

Good luck on the job search!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Toss a genny and a welder in the back of a pickup and do mobile welding. If you can actually find business you could probably turn 200-500 a day. Be your own boss.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So....Australian underwater welding....or something...

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

revmoo posted:

Toss a genny and a welder in the back of a pickup and do mobile welding. If you can actually find business you could probably turn 200-500 a day. Be your own boss.

If you know of any dairy farms near your swamp they will 100% have something broken that requires stainless welding.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

So....Australian underwater welding....or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sucks to hear about the loss of the job man. I guess one upside is, a guy with your welding skill should hopefully be in high demand?

• Locked thread